The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: Asherdan on December 03, 2011, 05:45:36 pm

Title: Vasily Alekseyev Is Pressing Daisy Now...
Post by: Asherdan on December 03, 2011, 05:45:36 pm
(http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--k5m636Zb--/m5dvkzj95cd6xl0k4nnx.gif)
Title: Re: Vasily Alekseyev Is Pressing Daisy Now...
Post by: AugustWest on December 03, 2011, 06:00:10 pm
Oh hells yes I remember Alekseyev.  Big dude set 80 world records!

RIP Strongman.
Title: Re: Vasily Alekseyev Is Pressing Daisy Now...
Post by: Nabubrush on December 03, 2011, 06:03:07 pm
Alekseyev was a big USSR symbol of course but he meant something else to me. Here was thus ungainly funky ass man, most would call him ugly as a mud fence, and he would come out with this supreme confidence and do amazing grunting screaming things. Then he would thrust his arms in the air while staring at the conquered weight and stalk off the platform.

Yeah, he was the symbol of the Russian Bear but he taught me something...pretty is bullshit. You didn't have to have the QB smile, the perfect complexion and the damn dimple. You could, through will and effort, do the amazing.

To an ungainly teen just starting to exert himself, who got called mongo or spaz, Vasily Alekseyev was a beacon. Even if you looked like that damn bear you represented, with will would come accomplishment and with that accomplishment would come respect. But you wouldn't need that respect from others, you would do your thing and have enough respect for your ownself.

So, he taught you to love yourself? That's kind of heartwarming.
Title: Re: Vasily Alekseyev Is Pressing Daisy Now...
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 03, 2011, 06:15:50 pm
So, he taught you to love yourself? That's kind of heartwarming.

That's the greatest love of all. Or so I've been told.
Title: Re: Vasily Alekseyev Is Pressing Daisy Now...
Post by: Nabubrush on December 03, 2011, 07:48:37 pm
Ash, if by chance that special place that you've been dreaming of leads you to a lonely place find your strength in love.
Title: Re: Vasily Alekseyev Is Pressing Daisy Now...
Post by: jaydub on December 03, 2011, 09:20:33 pm
I couldn't place the name initially, but the moment Ash painted the picture I instantly saw him in my mind's eye.  Recently I've come to appreciate the athleticism required for Olympic lifts as I've been training in them a little.  The amount of coordination and split second timing required is daunting enough with a fraction of my bodyweight on the bar.  The ability of Alekseyev was astonishing.
Title: Re: Vasily Alekseyev Is Pressing Daisy Now...
Post by: pmcd9 on December 03, 2011, 11:15:15 pm
I remember that guy.  fuck*ng amazing. They hardly show weight lifting on the Olympics anymore unless you have cable, I guess.
Title: Re: Vasily Alekseyev Is Pressing Daisy Now...
Post by: jaydub on December 04, 2011, 10:14:15 pm
I saw a little during the Beijing games, mostly memorable for the (Turkish?  Ajerbaijani?) dude who dislocated his elbow on a snatch.
Title: Re: Vasily Alekseyev Is Pressing Daisy Now...
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 04, 2011, 11:58:00 pm
Wow, that must've been... one amazing snatch.
Title: Re: Vasily Alekseyev Is Pressing Daisy Now...
Post by: Nabubrush on December 05, 2011, 01:05:24 am
Wow, that must've been... one amazing snatch.
Doin' her Kegels.
Title: Re: Vasily Alekseyev Is Pressing Daisy Now...
Post by: jaydub on December 05, 2011, 01:43:15 am
I'm happy tossing you blokes softballs all day.