The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Choop on December 05, 2011, 11:01:58 pm

Title: 5 Dec 2011 - go all nuts at a rave and do log party on the floor
Post by: Choop on December 05, 2011, 11:01:58 pm
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12052011

okay i have GOT to learn more about Hén and the as-yet unnamed narrator

also color me surprised that there's another comic and it's only been under two weeks
Title: Re: 5 Dec 2011 - go all nuts at a rave and do log party on the floor
Post by: CortJstr on December 05, 2011, 11:02:56 pm
Is that a human? A cat-sized one?
Title: Re: 5 Dec 2011 - go all nuts at a rave and do log party on the floor
Post by: Choop on December 05, 2011, 11:04:35 pm
maybe it's the underground version of that cat lady who's had so much plastic surgery
Title: Re: 5 Dec 2011 - go all nuts at a rave and do log party on the floor
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 05, 2011, 11:29:25 pm
I continue to be interested in seeing where this is going.
Title: Re: 5 Dec 2011 - go all nuts at a rave and do log party on the floor
Post by: wombat on December 05, 2011, 11:36:16 pm
This strip has so many panels it might be fair to call it a week's worth of comic.


Title: Re: 5 Dec 2011 - go all nuts at a rave and do log party on the floor
Post by: pmcd9 on December 06, 2011, 12:06:48 am
This strip has so many panels it might be fair to call it a week's worth of comic.

It is seven rows.  Definitely a weeks worth.  But oh man, new characters, a whole new venue (inside Ray's brain).  This might take awhile.
Title: Re: 5 Dec 2011 - go all nuts at a rave and do log party on the floor
Post by: Nabubrush on December 06, 2011, 01:23:54 am
That first link doesn't work for me.

Also, I keep forgetting that there was ever a strip.
Title: Re: 5 Dec 2011 - go all nuts at a rave and do log party on the floor
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 06, 2011, 01:36:53 am
Ah, steamroller.
Title: Re: 5 Dec 2011 - go all nuts at a rave and do log party on the floor
Post by: Choop on December 06, 2011, 01:42:55 am
oops. link fixed.
Title: Re: 5 Dec 2011 - go all nuts at a rave and do log party on the floor
Post by: AugustWest on December 06, 2011, 03:12:12 am
Well, it's very very good, isn't it?  That's some prime Achewood right there.  Mmmm hmmm.

Heh.  Scrabble is pretty popular.  And the cup next to the Scrabble board is perfect.
Title: Re: 5 Dec 2011 - go all nuts at a rave and do log party on the floor
Post by: Jaded Tersk on December 06, 2011, 06:13:17 am
This is like the part of Mulholland Dr. where you give up on trying to follow the plot and decide to let your lizard brain just look at the screen.
Title: Re: 5 Dec 2011 - go all nuts at a rave and do log party on the floor
Post by: theinevitable on December 06, 2011, 06:18:11 am
medically, yes, he is partying.
Title: Re: 5 Dec 2011 - go all nuts at a rave and do log party on the floor
Post by: jaydub on December 06, 2011, 06:23:26 am
I was going to comment on this earlier, but the graphic design in the last 5 panels stunned my visual cortex.
Title: Re: 5 Dec 2011 - go all nuts at a rave and do log party on the floor
Post by: wombat on December 06, 2011, 01:22:42 pm
I have to confess that my least favorite strips are the ones with so many pictures without words. But at this point I'm ecstatic to see anything.
Title: Re: 5 Dec 2011 - go all nuts at a rave and do log party on the floor
Post by: Jaded Tersk on December 06, 2011, 06:00:56 pm
I have to confess that my least favorite strips are the ones with so many pictures without words. But at this point I'm ecstatic to see anything.

I think Cartilage Head is the real determiner of which side of Achewood one prefers.  That's about the best 'spooky' series of panels he's made, and as I recall there was little to no text for a few days of updating that arc.  I love that stuff.

Although now I think about it, I wouldn't go all the way and say I prefer that kind of strip, but I do like most of them he's done.  One of the most gut-bustingly funny strips of all time (ALL TIME!!) was Day V of The Party when Ray is dancing to 'Africa' by Toto, and that had basically no words.  In fact, that strip basically made Ray.  It tells you all you need to know.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03182002
Title: Re: 5 Dec 2011 - go all nuts at a rave and do log party on the floor
Post by: Nabubrush on December 06, 2011, 06:08:51 pm
New dude is definitely contributing.
Title: Re: 5 Dec 2011 - go all nuts at a rave and do log party on the floor
Post by: jaydub on December 06, 2011, 06:18:13 pm
I'd can him, but I fear the consequences of exceeding the can:post ratio of 1.
Title: Re: 5 Dec 2011 - go all nuts at a rave and do log party on the floor
Post by: colmore on December 06, 2011, 07:06:13 pm
So Ray's K-Hole is a bar in Wiemar Berlin?  Perfect.  Between this and the Christmas Card, I'd be willing to bet Dr. Andretti's AMA membership lapsed a while ago.

And hey, good to see you're all still here.
Title: Re: 5 Dec 2011 - go all nuts at a rave and do log party on the floor
Post by: wombat on December 06, 2011, 07:09:11 pm
I think Cartilage Head is the real determiner of which side of Achewood one prefers.  That's about the best 'spooky' series of panels he's made, and as I recall there was little to no text for a few days of updating that arc.  I love that stuff.

I think it's fair to say that Onstad is one of my favorite writers, but not one of my favorite artists. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Title: Re: 5 Dec 2011 - go all nuts at a rave and do log party on the floor
Post by: Jaded Tersk on December 06, 2011, 07:29:38 pm
Nothing wrong with that at all.  It's definitely the writing that matters to me too, just that sometimes a series of panels with no words is a kind of writing.
Title: Re: 5 Dec 2011 - go all nuts at a rave and do log party on the floor
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 06, 2011, 07:37:58 pm
If decent writing can prop up weird art, there's a chance you'll like my minicomic afterall. Hurrah!
Title: Re: 5 Dec 2011 - go all nuts at a rave and do log party on the floor
Post by: connorbd on December 07, 2011, 04:37:45 am
Is that a human? A cat-sized one?

More of a moai really.
Title: Re: 5 Dec 2011 - go all nuts at a rave and do log party on the floor
Post by: Doc on December 07, 2011, 09:26:06 am
So Ray's K-Hole is a bar in Wiemar Berlin? 

It took me a moment to realise I'd heard that phrase in SP, not Achewood and then I was glad that my internet entertainments had synced up on subject.
Title: Re: 5 Dec 2011 - go all nuts at a rave and do log party on the floor
Post by: smick on December 07, 2011, 10:18:41 pm
Is that a human? A cat-sized one?

I believe that Hen, the designer, is a cat such as Ray.   I believe that the lady is some manner, form, or fashion of an animatronic, automaton, or otherwise clockwork.   This is evidenced by the pivot on the outside of her arm, by her shoulder and the seam that runs between her arm and her shoulder.
Title: Re: 5 Dec 2011 - go all nuts at a rave and do log party on the floor
Post by: AugustWest on December 08, 2011, 01:51:06 am
She is Liebot's sister.
Title: Re: 5 Dec 2011 - go all nuts at a rave and do log party on the floor
Post by: side_show on December 08, 2011, 04:12:29 pm
What makes it interesting is the term used is "designs" rather than "designed" or even "programs" or "programmed." 
Title: Re: 5 Dec 2011 - go all nuts at a rave and do log party on the floor
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 08, 2011, 05:53:45 pm
What makes it interesting is the term used is "designs" rather than "designed" or even "programs" or "programmed." 
I got the impression that he is a personal fashion designer in her employ.