The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: doomglobe on January 06, 2004, 11:18:18 pm

Title: WAAAAAARCRAAAAAAAFT
Post by: doomglobe on January 06, 2004, 11:18:18 pm
so I play warcraft 3, with some friends, but avoid battlenet because it is bad. If you are into playing with us, we use this program to form a virtual lan, it is easy,

http://dl.gamecopyworld.com/dl.cgi?BattleLANv0.5!zip

We play frozen throne maps (you should update to v1.13) lotsa tower defense and hero seige and just plain wacky stuff.

So post here if you play warcraft, to give a shout out, or if you want to play even better! :evil:
Title: WAAAAAARCRAAAAAAAFT
Post by: CortJstr on January 06, 2004, 11:22:44 pm
I'm a C&C and Worms:Armageddon man, myself but good luck.

(I highly suck at both)
Title: WAAAAAARCRAAAAAAAFT
Post by: slink on January 06, 2004, 11:28:32 pm
If it keeps you away from Battle.net I'm thouroughly tempted. Was trying to set up a game with a friend the other night, so this thing will at least make it possible to play him when he's bored.
The one thing is trying to fit it around my getting started on FFXI and my continuing AC2. Goddamn!
Title: WAAAAAARCRAAAAAAAFT
Post by: doomglobe on January 07, 2004, 12:33:49 am
so slink does that mean you want to play or not? I could not figure it out from your response.
Title: WAAAAAARCRAAAAAAAFT
Post by: jay-ell on January 07, 2004, 01:11:06 am
Doomie and I play sometimes, he often dooms my personal globe to failure!  So I'm in if we get a group together.  I don't know if that's encouragement or discouragement, but be advised.
Title: WAAAAAARCRAAAAAAAFT
Post by: slink on January 07, 2004, 01:15:28 am
Apologies, it did come out kinda garbled. It was a yes though!
Not played WC3 online before, so don't expect me to be any good. But then I have no idea!
So anyway, yea, cool.
Title: WAAAAAARCRAAAAAAAFT
Post by: doomglobe on January 07, 2004, 01:33:11 am
JL rocks the caspah in warcraft, watch out for her. also, dont worry about skill, slink, when we play its all luck.
Title: WAAAAAARCRAAAAAAAFT
Post by: St_Zartan on January 07, 2004, 01:50:16 am
Quote from: "doomglobe"
JL rocks the caspah in warcraft, watch out for her. also, dont worry about skill, slink, when we play its all luck.


My RTS strategy is "be the first to build a bunch of tanks", which ought to indicate how woefully behind I am at this sort of thing.  I would assume (and bloody well hope) that there's more, you know, strategy involved than there was in, say, Dune II or Command and Conquer. Would anyone fill me in on what they're like, these days? I'm genuinely curious.

Maybe I should finally get around to installing and playing that copy of Starcraft I was gifted about 2 years ago. Then again, the spring semester begins in a week...
Title: WAAAAAARCRAAAAAAAFT
Post by: doomglobe on January 07, 2004, 08:02:24 am
wc3 was developed with a map editor that is so fully customizable and programmable that even roast beef would be into it. you can write your own ai for the computer players, people have taken the editor and made entirely different games out of it, and those are the maps that are the most fun. a round or two to learn the ropes, and then its a battle royale for a few hours.  the 'strategy' is different from map to map, but it RARELY consists of being the first to build a bunch of tanks. build order is a hard choice in the standard game, and in the variants it tends to be an even harder choice as more units are introduced, and different limitations and freedoms are given and taken away. it is completely insane, zartan, insane.
Title: WAAAAAARCRAAAAAAAFT
Post by: jay-ell on January 07, 2004, 03:15:23 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Maybe I should finally get around to installing and playing that copy of Starcraft I was gifted about 2 years ago. Then again, the spring semester begins in a week...


Zartan, Zartan, Zartan.  Forget Starcraft.  You can pick up a copy of Warcraft III for about $20 by running a quick web search at Froogle (http://froogle.google.com).  (If any of you don't know about Froogle yet, it's an awesome way to find cheap stuff online.)  Just be careful you're not picking up a strategy guide instead of the actual game.  Or, if you're so inclined, you can get a battle chest for under $35 from a variety of vendors.  The battle chest includes the original game, the Frozen Throne expansion pack (which is quite good), and both strategy guides.  I'm not posting links to individual vendors because I don't want to endorse any particular webstores -- I don't have time to read all their privacy policies, etc.  But, if you're interested in playing with us, you can get a copy of the game for relatively cheap, compared to the $50 retail Pedro and I paid when it first came out.

Wonder-Mod Powers Activate! (I fixed her link) --- Cort
Title: WAAAAAARCRAAAAAAAFT
Post by: St_Zartan on January 07, 2004, 04:39:31 pm
I feel kinda bad, seeing as you went to all that trouble on my account not knowing that my computer is like three years old. Warcraft 3 would make it cry. Let's add the fact that the passage of time and my dashingly cavalier attitude regarding computer maintenance have rendered my operating system a little touched in the head. Once, a friend and I tried to get a multiplayer game of Fallout Tactics going. The result was something I will treasure forever.

This is generally fine by me, as I almost exclusively stick to emulators and "abandonware", games-wise.

Plus I'm on the dial-up

EDIT: fuck*ng VERB TENSE AGREEMENT ISSUES HERE
Title: WAAAAAARCRAAAAAAAFT
Post by: jay-ell on January 07, 2004, 05:53:27 pm
No trouble.  Just a new tab and a few clicks.  Did you check the system specs?  I ran WCIII and Frozen Throne on a five-year-old machine until I upgraded.  I just had to turn down the graphics settings, is all.  

Anyway, I figure there have got to be other folks out there who might want to try the game but don't want to drop $40 for it.  <<Nudges Jough>>  So, really, Zartan, you've done us all a service.
Title: WAAAAAARCRAAAAAAAFT
Post by: CortJstr on January 07, 2004, 06:30:02 pm
That's exactly why I'm just now playing Arcanum and Baldur's Gate I&II. My computer turns 4 in March so old cheap games are what I'm all about. Plus I found Arcanum + guide on eBay for less than the costs of just the game at Best Buy.
Title: WAAAAAARCRAAAAAAAFT
Post by: AugustWest on January 07, 2004, 08:13:38 pm
Doesn't anybody play DoomII anymore?

Anybody?  Hello?

How about CivII?  Alpha Centauri?  Railroad Tycoon?
Title: WAAAAAARCRAAAAAAAFT
Post by: St_Zartan on January 07, 2004, 09:01:53 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Doesn't anybody play DoomII anymore?


TESTIFY
Title: WAAAAAARCRAAAAAAAFT
Post by: CortJstr on January 07, 2004, 09:29:52 pm
I skipped Civ2. I had Civ1 for SNES and now I have Civ3 (w/ PTW and Conquests). Over at Civ Fanatics (http://www.civfanatics.com) they still have a Game of the Month for Civ2 though. So you can go there and bask if you want.
Title: WAAAAAARCRAAAAAAAFT
Post by: jough on January 07, 2004, 10:41:29 pm
I don't know what the hell you people are talking about.
Title: WAAAAAARCRAAAAAAAFT
Post by: pmcd9 on January 08, 2004, 01:59:47 am
Quote from: "jough"
I don't know what the hell you people are talking about.


Thanks Jough, I thought I was the only one.

~Paul
Title: WAAAAAARCRAAAAAAAFT
Post by: St_Zartan on January 08, 2004, 02:02:22 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "jough"
I don't know what the hell you people are talking about.


Thanks Jough, I thought I was the only one.


"COMPUTER GAMING", IT'S THE NEW THING (http://www.jerkcity.com/jerkcity79.html)
Title: WAAAAAARCRAAAAAAAFT
Post by: doomglobe on January 09, 2004, 08:07:23 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I don't know what the hell you people are talking about.

well I was hoping we would talk about warcraft3, and that it would turn out that everyone here plays it all the time, and loves it like a newborn child of a pandabear. but as it turns out, only one or two people even know what it is. I was thinking we could set up a great big game where achwooders duke it out with little orcs running around on videoscreens.

ST ZARTAN! YOU SHOULD ADD RAM TO YOUR COMPUTER AND IT WILL BE FINE, MY BOX IS GOING ON 3 YEARS NOW AND IT ROCKS!
Title: WAAAAAARCRAAAAAAAFT
Post by: jay-ell on January 09, 2004, 08:11:08 pm
Quote from: "doomglobe"
ST ZARTAN! YOU SHOULD ADD RAM TO YOUR COMPUTER AND IT WILL BE FINE, MY BOX IS GOING ON 3 YEARS NOW AND IT ROCKS!


Seriously.
Title: WAAAAAARCRAAAAAAAFT
Post by: CortJstr on January 09, 2004, 08:18:58 pm
I know what it is I was just inducted into the C&C side of the battle for RTS supremacy. Kind of like for a while Nintendo people would buy a Genesis.
Title: WAAAAAARCRAAAAAAAFT
Post by: jough on January 09, 2004, 08:51:56 pm
I'd play with you guys if I:

a) had a free copy of the software
b) knew how to play
c) knew how to connect to other people playing
d) knew that it wouldn't take me 3 years to learn how to play

I mean, is it really that good?  Or is it just fun kitschy nostalgia for you?
Title: WAAAAAARCRAAAAAAAFT
Post by: jay-ell on January 09, 2004, 09:13:12 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I'd play with you guys if I:

a) had a free copy of the software


I just might be able to arrange this.  Legally, even.  I'll get back to you.  

Quote
b) knew how to play


It's easy when you know how!  Seriously, it's probably the most intuitive interface I've ever seen in a game -- with the possible exception of "Black & White."  

Quote
c) knew how to connect to other people playing


You'll have no trouble with BattleLAN -- the program DoomGlobe uses.  If I  could figure it out (albeit after a couple of false starts), so can you.  

Quote
d) knew that it wouldn't take me 3 years to learn how to play


It takes minutes to learn...years to master!  

Quote
I mean, is it really that good?  Or is it just fun kitschy nostalgia for you?


Well, it depends...are seven Game of the Year awards good enough for you?  How about nine Best RTS awards?  12 Editor's Choice Awards?  3 Gamer's Choice awards?  And my personal recommendation?  

If that's not enough, brother, I don't know what is.  
Title: WAAAAAARCRAAAAAAAFT
Post by: slink on January 10, 2004, 01:02:25 am
Come on Jough... It's WARCRAFT!!!
I tried to resist, but then got it free and there was no going back.

Unfortunately I just got a world pass fo FFXI so I'm kind of stuck on that at the moment... As well as playing a lot of BF1942.
Title: WAAAAAARCRAAAAAAAFT
Post by: jay-ell on January 28, 2004, 07:08:01 pm
World of Warcraft beta testing signups begin at 6 PM PST tonight!  

Be there...or be...somewhere else!
Title: WAAAAAARCRAAAAAAAFT
Post by: slink on January 29, 2004, 05:45:20 pm
Yes, but only for the US, Canada and Korea.

I'll be off sulking in the other room...

(Although, what with this being the gaming section - I had an interview at Rockstar North this afternoon! I am praying in all sorts of delicious and juicy ways that I get this job!)
Title: WAAAAAARCRAAAAAAAFT
Post by: V-Adore on January 29, 2004, 06:38:43 pm
Quote from: "slink"

(Although, what with this being the gaming section - I had an interview at Rockstar North this afternoon! I am praying in all sorts of delicious and juicy ways that I get this job!)

Woo! Good luck!
Title: WAAAAAARCRAAAAAAAFT
Post by: jough on January 29, 2004, 06:40:20 pm
Rockstar North made my new favourite game, "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City" although I'm at a point in the game now where I have two possible missions - one involving flying a remote controlled helicopter and dropping little bombs, and another involving being a "guardian angel" to a drug deal, killing Hatians with my sniper rifle, and then having to chase after one of them on a motorcycle, which I always run into a wall and fly off of, causing my prey to escape pretty much instantly, which sucks.
Title: WAAAAAARCRAAAAAAAFT
Post by: slink on January 30, 2004, 10:36:31 am
Quote from: "jough"
which I always run into a wall and fly off of, causing my prey to escape pretty much instantly, which sucks.


Yea, best bet is to shell out for a controller, or a ps2-usb controller, since otherwise it sucks!

And thanks V.
Needless to say, they made my three last favourite games, so I am really holding out for this job.
Probably won't hear about it til Monday however.
Their offices are lovely though!
Title: WAAAAAARCRAAAAAAAFT
Post by: jough on January 30, 2004, 06:48:40 pm
I wasn't aware that Rockstar Games was based in the U.K.

Hey, if they do another GTA maybe you'll get to meet Ray Liota!
Title: WAAAAAARCRAAAAAAAFT
Post by: slink on January 30, 2004, 07:01:34 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I wasn't aware that Rockstar Games was based in the U.K.

Hey, if they do another GTA maybe you'll get to meet Ray Liota!


Rockstar isn't. Rockstar North (formerly DMA who made the original GTA) are based in Leith, Edinburgh.
And somehow I get the idea that the actors all do the studio work in the US in one of the many Rockstar depts.
I know of Rockstar in Vancouver, LA, New York (HQ) and there may be a Miami one.