The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: side_show on December 29, 2011, 10:22:57 pm

Title: Five Questions
Post by: side_show on December 29, 2011, 10:22:57 pm
The local paper runs a weekly section where unique people answer the following questions, and I've always found their answers to be quite interesting.  So I'm asking all of you's:  

1) In case of a fire (heaven forbid) what would you take with you?  (people, pets and computers excluded)
2) What is your favorite nicknack?
3) What is your favorite piece of furniture?
4) What is the oldest thing you own?
5) What edible item do you almost always have on hand in your fridge or cupboard?

Photos are welcome, but not required.
Title: Re: Five Questions
Post by: Nabubrush on December 29, 2011, 11:24:30 pm
1) Is it good that nothing occurs to me that I would really have to save? How about the Lego Death Star?
2) One of the netsukes that my mother left me. It's a little ivory man with a tiny cage with a bird in it.
3) Our chaise longue, although I never sit in it. It's good for other things, though.
4) Probably a Morgan dollar. Mid to late 1800s. Some of those netsukes might be that old, though.
5) (http://foodbeast.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/things-sriracha-good-on.jpg)

I'll post some pictures when I get home.
Title: Re: Five Questions
Post by: wombat on December 29, 2011, 11:46:48 pm
1. My earrings. I don't have anything really expensive, but I have a lot of unique handcrafted stuff that's not replacable. I would regret leaving behind certain of my stuffed pugs.
2. A set of three clay pugs doing 'see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil."
3. My Japanese shoe cabinet.
4. I don't know. Do you count all the weird old family junk that my mother has sent me and that I hide away in a closet feeling slightly guilty?
5. Chocolate.

This is the shoe cabinet when I first bought it, with a bunch of the shoes on the floor waiting for their new home, and actually some of the earring collection as well, on that thing on the right that looks like a picture frame on the dresser.
(http://www.rebsig.com/LL/tansu1.jpg)
Title: Re: Five Questions
Post by: Choop on December 30, 2011, 12:30:30 am
1) the only other thing that insurance can't replace is photos. our photo album is actually a box of unsorted pics, so it'd be easy enough to grab.

2) my cube *****s from our vacation to buenos aires - infinitely posable (here you see one planking and one tebowing)
(http://i.imgur.com/Juw0u.jpg) (http://i.imgur.com/Juw0u.jpg)

3) oh god the new king sized bed with memory foam mattress, it's infuck*ngcredible

4) the t-shirt and sweater i was wearing the day i met my wife

5) popcorn. it's kind of my thing.
Title: Re: Five Questions
Post by: Nabubrush on December 30, 2011, 12:54:35 am
Choop's knickknacks for the win.
Title: Re: Five Questions
Post by: wombat on December 30, 2011, 02:03:03 am
Ash you need this apron.
http://www.topatoco.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TO&Product_Code=SGR-DINNER-APRON&Category_Code=SGR (http://www.topatoco.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TO&Product_Code=SGR-DINNER-APRON&Category_Code=SGR)
(http://www.topatoco.com/graphics/00000001/sgr-dinner-apron.jpg)
Title: Re: Five Questions
Post by: side_show on December 31, 2011, 03:27:15 am
1) In case of a fire (heaven forbid) what would you take with you?  (people, pets and computers excluded)
Our wedding photos - we have them in albums, but also on disk, and I'd want to grab those
(http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j362/SideShowMelanie/weddingphotos.jpg)

2) What is your favorite nicknack?

Our  wedding cake topper that I made with my own two hands. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/side_show/2746214654/in/photostream/)

3) What is your favorite piece of furniture?

 Our locally made sleigh bed with a super cushy pillow-top mattress

4) What is the oldest thing you own?

The oldest thing, really would be some rocks I've collected, but it's hard to consider 'ownership' when it comes to rocks, isn't it?  I've got some antiques and some really old books from the 1800's so maybe one of those?

5) What edible item do you almost always have on hand in your fridge or cupboard?

Mayonnaise and something salty and crunchy.
Title: Re: Five Questions
Post by: pmcd9 on December 31, 2011, 04:18:18 am
1) In case of a fire (heaven forbid) what would you take with you?  (people, pets and computers excluded)

The most important thing I would grab would be the data storage drives on my computer.  Nothing else is as important as that.  I have several boxes of personal stuff, old analog pictures, some home movies and cassette tapes.  But all of that stuff is upstairs and I wouldn't risk my life to save it so it'll probably go if there's a fire.

2) What is your favorite nicknack?

Hard to say.  Most of my nicknacks are in a storage room at my parents house.  I haven't seen them in a long time so I don't remember what my favorite would be.

3) What is your favorite piece of furniture?

My grandmothers table (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/5037873151/).  I ate Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner at the "Kids Table" until I was about 25 years old and my grandmother died and we stopped having parties at her house.  it's my house now and this is my most prized possession in the house.

4) What is the oldest thing you own?

My Grandmother's House (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/349773360/).

5) What edible item do you almost always have on hand in your fridge or cupboard?

You're not asking what my favorite food is, but rather the one I always have on hand.  Hmm... There are probably a lot of foods that I will always keep in stock, like the condiments, mustard, mayo, etc..., or peanut butter, bread,  but I can't think of anything that I am like, I gotta have that at all times.  

Title: Re: Five Questions
Post by: Nabubrush on December 31, 2011, 06:50:08 am
Dude, no. It said no computers, and that clearly means no computer storage media as well. Of course I would take my hard drives if I had that option - all my porn is on those!
Title: Re: Five Questions
Post by: side_show on December 31, 2011, 04:46:25 pm
Yes, and I did not include my iPhone for the same reason.  Not because of porn, but because I consider it a computer.

Also, Paul, your Grandma's table is pretty rad.
Title: Re: Five Questions
Post by: pmcd9 on December 31, 2011, 06:35:25 pm
I know, I know.  I was just reinforcing how important those storage drives are. 
Title: Re: Five Questions
Post by: wombat on December 31, 2011, 07:43:35 pm
That's exactly why the game excludes them, that's what everyone would say.
Title: Re: Five Questions
Post by: pmcd9 on December 31, 2011, 08:30:29 pm
Well FINE then.
Title: Re: Five Questions
Post by: wombat on December 31, 2011, 08:34:41 pm
So you still owe us an answer!
Title: Re: Five Questions
Post by: side_show on December 31, 2011, 10:05:11 pm
Yeah paul, what wombat said!

Also I am deeply envious of that shoe cabinet!
Title: Re: Five Questions
Post by: wombat on December 31, 2011, 10:09:13 pm
The shoe cabinet is awesome, I'm not sure if the pictures do it justice. I have way too many shoes - not for fashion, but because nothing fits right. It seemed like fate directed me to a special Japanese shoe cabinet when it was on sale for half price. The guy at the store kept saying "I am so glad someone finally came to their senses and bought this piece" and he kind of hung around while we loaded it up like he was saying goodbye to a puppy.
Title: Re: Five Questions
Post by: pmcd9 on December 31, 2011, 11:50:12 pm
Well the answer doesn't really change.  The stuff I would grab is upstairs in the most remote part of the house.  It's also about 10 boxes of stuff.  If there were a big fire in my house they would be lost.  I would see what I could do to battle the blaze before I tried to save those boxes.  The solution to the problem, obviously, is to digitize the contents of those boxes so I could easily take them out when I grabbed the digital storage devices. 
Title: Re: Five Questions
Post by: wombat on January 01, 2012, 12:50:26 am
Paul is missing the point that you are not supposed to answer in such practical terms. Or perhaps it is deliberate. Do you suppose he is hiding something? Like that he has a Hello Kitty doll that he would take?

Perhaps the game should be, you have an hour to get ready before your house is lost in a flood. This would also account for the fact that you can grab all your computers and still have time for the item in question 1.
Title: Re: Five Questions
Post by: Nabubrush on January 01, 2012, 01:08:09 am
Paul is missing the point that you are not supposed to answer in such practical terms. Or perhaps it is deliberate. Do you suppose he is hiding something? Like that he has a Hello Kitty doll that he would take?

I think we have Paul's answer.
Title: Re: Five Questions
Post by: Nabubrush on January 01, 2012, 01:10:26 am
Wombat and sMells are can-twinsies.

Also, Mel, that wedding picture is probably the best one I have ever seen.
Title: Re: Five Questions
Post by: AugustWest on January 01, 2012, 03:42:04 am
1) In case of a fire (heaven forbid) what would you take with you?  (people, pets and computers excluded)

Guitars and pictures.

2) What is your favorite nicknack?

Don't really have one.

3) What is your favorite piece of furniture?

My Grandfather's handmade bed.  I slept in it from when I was about 10 until I got married.  Now it's my oldest daughter's.

4) What is the oldest thing you own?

Probably a book.

5) What edible item do you almost always have on hand in your fridge or cupboard?

Hearts of Palm and artichoke hearts.  They're ingredients for a salad we have to make for just about every family holiday gathering.

Photos are welcome, but not required.
[/quote]
Title: Re: Five Questions
Post by: side_show on January 01, 2012, 03:44:03 am
Thanks Nabu - there's six in that series that are like a little stop- motion film of a kiss.  Now imagine about 500 photos of the same quality and you know what I'm talking about.  A dear friend used to be a renowned photog, and he shot the wedding as a gift to us.  It was less than a year later that he gave away all his possessions and left for a different life and career.  
Title: Re: Five Questions
Post by: pmcd9 on January 01, 2012, 04:39:59 am
Well if I had an hour I would definitely get all of the boxes from upstairs.  Wait, if it's a flood, how high is the water?  It may be best if I leave that stuff where it is upstairs.  I would definitely have time to save my grandma's table.  Wait, a flood really wouldn't do much damage to the table if at all.

Aw dammit you got me.  I can't hide my Hello Kitty furry porn collection any longer. :(
Title: Re: Five Questions
Post by: Nabubrush on January 01, 2012, 06:38:42 am
1) In case of a fire (heaven forbid) what would you take with you?  (people, pets and computers excluded)

Guitars and pictures.

Hi there. I'm Nabu, and I'm brain damaged. I will be saving the Les Paul.
Title: Re: Five Questions
Post by: jay-ell on January 04, 2012, 02:14:33 pm
1) In case of a fire (heaven forbid) what would you take with you?  (people, pets and computers excluded)
Almost all our family photos are digitized except the wedding pics. I would like to say I'd take those, but quite honestly, I don't think I'm that sentimental. And all our important papers are in a fireproof safe. It would probably not even occur to me. Probably the thing I would think to grab would be my kids' favorite plush toys -- a Hello Kitty Build-A-Bear with a freakishly large head (it's just like Paul's!) and a collection of Sesame Street Puppets.
Quote
2) What is your favorite nicknack?
I hate nicknacks. I have a collection of the ones I've been given over the years, but they're all in boxes in our shed.
Quote
3) What is your favorite piece of furniture?
My couch. It was a Christmas/Birthday gift last year from my parents, and the left cushion is My Seat. If someone else is there, even if there's plenty of other places to sit, I make them move. (Guests excluded, of course.)  
Quote
4) What is the oldest thing you own?
My great-grandmother's piano. It's an upright that was custom built in Chicago as a wedding gift from my great-grandfather to his wife, Elizabeth, in 1907, IIRC.
Quote
5) What edible item do you almost always have on hand in your fridge or cupboard?
Peanut butter.