The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: Doc on December 31, 2011, 11:21:46 am

Title: One more round
Post by: Doc on December 31, 2011, 11:21:46 am
From about the earliest I can legitimately say this: happy new year.

I'm sure you folks'll make it awesome.
Title: Re: One more round
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 31, 2011, 01:06:11 pm
if we didnt celebrate arbitrary milestones then life wouldnt be worth living.  lets keep doing certain things, while eschewing others.
Title: Re: One more round
Post by: wombat on December 31, 2011, 04:05:52 pm
Damn, Doc, now I feel like I missed celebrating the occasion.

Actually, we are going out for a special New Year's dinner tonight. Even though we have a reservation for the 5.30 seating and will not exactly be partying late, this is more than we usually do.
Title: Re: One more round
Post by: side_show on December 31, 2011, 05:05:28 pm
2011 was probably the hardest year of my life so far.  It showed me how strong I am.  I'm pretty fuck*ng strong.  It showed me how much shit I can take - and I do have a limit.  I grew up in a lot of ways and became less self-serving on some levels and more self nurturing on others.

I spent too much time in hospitals, physical and mental therapist's offices and care homes, and I saw people I love suffer way too much.  I spent too much time alone, going to those places.

I did a lot of really good work on a professional level.

I gained some weight and lost some weight.  It pretty much equaled out. 


Things in 2012:

1) I am going off the pill in a couple months and letting nature take it's course. 

2) After hubby is finished his recovery, he will change careers.

The future is both vaguely terrifying and full of hope.

I wish you all luck in the year to come, lots of peace and happiness.  Lots of good stuff, and just a mild enough taste of the bad stuff to be really grateful for the good stuff.
Title: Re: One more round
Post by: theinevitable on December 31, 2011, 06:03:02 pm
all in all, a good year. Everyone is healthy, my relationship with my girl is really great, and I love the place I live.

Next year's goal: get a good job, dude. Recently applied to a place that I am very interested in, and feeling hopeful.
Title: Re: One more round
Post by: pmcd9 on December 31, 2011, 06:33:58 pm
I'm gonna get a job in 2012.  I'm sick of being poor.
Title: Re: One more round
Post by: wombat on December 31, 2011, 07:46:52 pm
I'm gonna get a job in 2012 because I'm bored, and because I probably better get a job with health insurance before I am too old to, so I'll have it when the Tech Staff retires. And since my agent is clearly planning to sit on her ass instead of ever selling a book for me again.

"The future is both vaguely terrifying and full of hope." Ain't it the truth.
Title: Re: One more round
Post by: side_show on December 31, 2011, 10:11:52 pm
I know, right? There was a point when it wasn't terrifying, back when I was small and it was the world's job to take care of me, instead of the other way around.
Title: Re: One more round
Post by: pmcd9 on December 31, 2011, 11:44:06 pm
I'm gonna start the year by being sick.  I've just made the decision that I can't make it out tonight, too sick.  Y'all have fun at whatever you are doing tonight.  And be careful, it's amateur night.  Lots of drunks on the road.
Title: Re: One more round
Post by: Nabubrush on January 01, 2012, 01:20:00 am
I'll be working, right up to midnight. That's kind of amusing to me.

This year fuck*ng sucked. Probably my hardest year as well. Fortunately I spent it with a really wonderful and strong partner, because I needed the support. You kids be careful out there and I hope the new year brings you all the happiness that can possibly be stuffed inside it.
Title: Re: One more round
Post by: side_show on January 01, 2012, 03:55:12 am
I'm gonna start the year by being sick.  I've just made the decision that I can't make it out tonight, too sick.  Y'all have fun at whatever you are doing tonight.  And be careful, it's amateur night.  Lots of drunks on the road.

I'm sick too Paul - I've been ill for my whole  vacation, which sucks.  My list of thing to do shrank to "sleep and read."

 We spend the evening staying in each year (as a tradition)we kiss at midnight then have a roll in the hay.  It's a great way to start a new year.  Sometimes one or both of us are drunk at the time.  Which reminds me - time to open the wine!  Talk to y'all in 2012!
Title: Re: One more round
Post by: pmcd9 on January 01, 2012, 04:40:59 am
Well if there was someone here to roll in the hay with I wouldn't mind staying home.
Title: Re: One more round
Post by: Nabubrush on January 01, 2012, 06:39:58 am
Well if there was someone here to roll in the hay with I wouldn't mind staying home.

Next year for me, hopefully next year for you too.
Title: Re: One more round
Post by: theinevitable on January 01, 2012, 07:34:08 am
yeah, boo. Getting extremely drunk texts from my gal. Makes me wish I were there to be drunk with/on her. Hearing lots of gunshots out in the neighborhood. Yikes.

Went to a pretty lame party, then a slightly better party. now I am home because I have work at 9. My friends/roommates just all left to go watch a movie.
Title: Re: One more round
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on January 01, 2012, 04:30:08 pm
Hearing lots of gunshots out in the neighborhood. Yikes.
Having looked at tax auctions in STL, it seems like a great place to buy crack. Also, what is their obsession with stabilization projects? If a building wants to fall down, just let it do its thing. Don't put wood scaffolding around it and try to live the dream through sheer determination.

Anyway, 2011 is over and the Mayan countdown begins. Today I will be avoiding light and noise.
Title: Re: One more round
Post by: side_show on January 01, 2012, 04:38:06 pm
Lots of gun shots in my neighbourhood too last night.  Shortly after our roll in the hay a huge brawl broke out in the street below, with violence and chanting (?) and bottles being smashed.  Soon enough i heard the soothing rumble of the police copter, and things got nice and quiet again.
Title: Re: One more round
Post by: AugustWest on January 01, 2012, 05:40:18 pm
When I hear gunshots in my neighborhood, I think "How much do I look like a deer right now?" instead of "Time for a crime spree!"
Title: Re: One more round
Post by: side_show on January 01, 2012, 06:28:08 pm
See, I've become so cynical about the situation that I just checked out the window to be sure the brawl wasn't happening too close to my vehicle, and when I saw that it wasn't, even though there were fisticuffs being thrown, I just closed the curtain and went back to reading my book.  I suppose I could have called the police, but I figured it would get taken care of, and sure enough, the copter came and all was quiet.

I only wish deer were being shot, rather than hapless teens.  Shotting things due to tastiness is so much more humane than shooting them because of arbitrary affiliations.  In fact, I am beginning to hope for a future home where this reversal takes place.  I was originally planning to just move within the city in four years time, to the burbs, but now I'm sincerely considering finding some place on the outskirts of the city where neighbours aren't really much of an issue, but deer fences and raccoon-proof garbage bins are.