The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: wombat on December 31, 2011, 12:43:19 pm
-
From Twitter
14hrs in the kitchen documenting @slow_lane @ChefCafiero @TenTopCru 10 course dinner & prep. 5.5k words. New comic Saturday. Beat as hell.
Nice to know he at least seems to have other work I guess.
-
So I suppose we now somewhat definitively can say that he didn't spend the hiatus building up a backlog of comics to post on a regular schedule. Sounds like this other project is really cool though.
-
Technically speaking, there will be a big new strip up as soon as I am happy with it; you would want no less from this behemoth I wreak.
-
Just noticed this on the site:
1/31/2012: A new strip triptych posting Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday night this week. Stay tuned!
The suspense, is it killing you?
-
The suspense, is it killing you?
Ho hum. He'll post it when he post it.
-
Some day, he's just gonna post an old strip with Rick Astley lyrics in the bubbles.
-
Chris Onstad has become the food critic of the Portland Mercury.
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/01/27/chris-onstad-food-critic-portland-mercury/
-
Chris Onstad has become the food critic of the Portland Mercury.
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/01/27/chris-onstad-food-critic-portland-mercury/
Good for him! I think Onstad will be an excellent food critic.
-
Definitely good for him, because God knows it's tough times for getting a gig like that.
I'd also like to think it will make it easier for him to make more strips. There's not so much riding on them if he sees himself as Food Critic with a comic strip on the side, and that could be a good thing.
-
I'd also like to think it will make it easier for him to make more strips. There's not so much riding on them if he sees himself as Food Critic with a comic strip on the side, and that could be a good thing.
Maybe it will give him some discipline as well. He's not his own boss anymore. He can't just turn in his column whenever he wants. He's gonna have to learn what it's like to work with a deadline.
-
Interesting point. You know, if I were an editor, despite believing the man is basically a god, it would be a hard decision whether to hire him, given his track record. But some people work better with externally imposed deadlines.
-
Likewise, it's important to note he is not responsible for generating his material with this new gig. He will eat things and then write about it. There is a lot less pressure in that than coming up with the concept yourself, then psyching oneself up into believing one's own creation is worth pursuing. That whole internal struggle to create is not related to writing about food. Everyone eats, and to talk about what we eat is a legitimate thing. No one will argue the legitimacy of needing to eat and source out viable ways of eating.
-
And maybe when he gets interminably bored with writing about food and fed up with his fuck*ng asshole of a boss he'll realize how good he had it before.
-
And maybe when he gets interminably bored with writing about food and fed up with his fuck*ng asshole of a boss he'll realize how good he had it before.
I'm picturing his boss shouting 'OOOOOoonnnnstaaAAAAD!' from his desk while somehow managing to clinch the slobbery last gasp of a cigar in his mouth.
-
Are you describing J. Jonah Jameson (http://youtu.be/OpAx0qyPRMw) or Lou Grant (http://youtu.be/sNyj4FV56JY)?
-
I was thinking of J. Jonah Jameson for the look, and the trope of bosses shouting like Superintendent Chalmers, which must be based on a few concrete examples, but I don't know what they are.
-
2/2/2012: A new strip triptych posting Wednesday, Thursday, and (this weekend). (Got a little too ambitous.)
I'm kind of relieved. If he'd really posted three days in a row as promised, it would probably have been a sign of the apocalypse, right?
-
Four hossmen, seven seals, seven vials, seven trumpets, triptych of uncanny homeboys.
-
If you think the Mercury is going to hold him accountable in any way, you're kidding yourself. The Mercury is a fuck*ng disaster. The only reason they're still going is because Savage Love is in syndication.
-
Ha, so they're perfect for each other.
-
If you think the Mercury is going to hold him accountable in any way, you're kidding yourself. The Mercury is a fuck*ng disaster. The only reason they're still going is because Savage Love is in syndication.
Though he won't actually get started writing Merc reviews for another couple-or-three weeks, I was too excited not to share. So stay tuned! Welcome Chris Onstad, and bon apetit!
Oh WM, you sweet naïve man! "New review in 2 weeks"... we've heard that kind of thing before...
-
Though he won't actually get started writing Merc reviews for another couple-or-three weeks, I was too excited not to share. So stay tuned! Welcome Chris Onstad, and bon apetit!
Exactly - a couple or three or maybe sometime in the fall. We'll get two halfhearted reviews of some food carts which will boil down to gibes about a crowd of customers dressed in skinny jeans and wearing ironic glasses, and sniping about the lack of Sriacha or some shit. There isn't a chance in hell this works out.
-
Soon: An interview about how he dislikes interaction with alt-weekly readers.
-
So is today Super Bowl Sunday (Observed), or is it always the weekend for Onstad?
-
Soon: An interview about how he dislikes interaction with alt-weekly readers.
I look forward to him getting a column that runs next to "I, Anonymous" in which he gets the opportunity to rant about riding the 75 and the shitty English cucumbers at Zupans.
-
Tomorrow: Chicken review.
-
And then Achewood turns into Fighting Foodons: West Coast Rumble: the Webseries