The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: dejavroom on January 03, 2012, 01:39:10 pm
-
What amuses Beef so in his little private Scrabble game?
permalink (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01032012)
-
That is important information.
-
The correct thread title is "There is tapioca just off the lobby." "Straight-up science miracle" runs a close second.
I was laughing at myself that I was checking to see if a strip had been posted.
-
Zineb is apparently some sort of chemical compound. Maybe these are actual words that Beef knows would cause arguments in a dictionary-free game of scrabble?
-
Zineb is apparently some sort of chemical compound. Maybe these are actual words that Beef knows would cause arguments in a dictionary-free game of scrabble?
that wouldnt surprise me at all.
-
I assumed he was noticing Kazenzakis (sort of) on the board.
-
my thought was that he was fantasizing about an awesome game of scrabble where he got to use all his fancy words because of ideal placement.
-
I think I once drove a guy to get a prince albert, without knowing I was driving a guy to get a prince albert. He told me he was getting something else pierced ( a facial piercing). He was in the room with the piercer for quite a while, and then he came out and said that he chickened out. I only later learned he got a prince albert, and I'm thinking that was why he was acting so strangely at the time, and why getting a ride to and from was so important to him. This was one of a a series of lies from the same dude that I totally believed. The much bigger lie was "I will be your boyfriend one day" when the truth was "I am a homosexual." Oh well.
-
It took me a long while to realise you meant that you drove him in your car. I was thinking that you drove him to get a Prince Albert in the way that a man might use the phrase, "she drove me to drink".
-
Keep this up, JT, and you will have the highest cans-to-posts ratio in town.
-
Well, I'd say it's possible that I drove him to get the piercing and into being gay, but if I'm to believe Lady Gaga, in both cases, he was born this way.
-
It took me a long while to realise you meant that you drove him in your car. I was thinking that you drove him to get a Prince Albert in the way that a man might use the phrase, "she drove me to drink".
This is exactly what I was thinking.
Also, I didn't notice it on the first read, but it looks like Beef is brushing Ray's statement off the board in the last panel. Something tells me that this is one of those science miracles that won't be making the journals.
-
Also, I didn't notice it on the first read, but it looks like Beef is brushing Ray's statement off the board in the last panel. Something tells me that this is one of those science miracles that won't be making the journals.
That last panel could be so easily manipulated to make it look like Beef making sure Ray's claim is legit.
-
I'm a pretty shallow Scrabble fan, but to me Beef's board suggests tournament-level nerdery. QI, QAT, and ZA are the three most statistically valuable words in Scrabble, and iconic plays; KA is also a common way to dump a point-laden but ugly letter. I don't know who knows ZINEB unless they're actively studying Scrabble words or are in a relevant field, which Beef is not.
He also knows his two-letter words, including TE, which isn't legal in North America (it is good under the larger SOWPODS dictionary used everywhere else). But I think that in Beef's fantasy, the U.S. has finally adopted SOWPODS, and I think he has a right to that fantasy.
He's also clearly burning the B on purpose -- maybe setting up a bingo, maybe deliberately clogging the board for his private pleasure.
(Everything Scrabble by Edley and Williams contains the anagram "UNBALANCED RACK = CAN EARN BAD LUCK," which is just one of the many Achewoodian things about the Scrabble world.)
-
^^^ thats class, dudes
i always loved that the last word in my childhood scrabble dictionary was ZYZZYVA n. a tropical weevil. at least once every ten months, i think of the word zyzzyva. zizz zweave uh.
anyway i was supremely exicted when i saw the box for Super Scrabble. three more rows on each side, quad scoring squares, and two sets of tiles. turns out though none of my friends like it because it takes too long. they're right though, its probably not possible to finish in under two hours
-
I spend a lot of my free social time at a board game store with a large play area behind the merchandise section. The play area is actually about 3x the size of the sales floor, with space for about a dozen banquet-size folding tables and chairs to seat six to eight dozen people. It's the largest open play space on our end of town -- there's one other store with a play area, but it's only got four tables and they're much closer together. So on any given night, you might see several different groups playing a variety of games. I go on Thursdays, and there's typically our group, which ostensibly gathers for Munchkin; a game of Starfleet Universe; a D&D fivesome; several pairs of Magic players; and a board game group (last week they were playing something called Tigris and Euphrates that looked pretty sweet).
On Tuesdays, Pedro and I sometimes go for Date Night, and there's a group of regulars that stand out as the most hard-core of them all: The Scrabblers. I love word games, and I thought maybe I would come and play with them sometime, but after I watched a couple of rounds I decided that these folks are so far out of my league it's not even funny. They are nice people, and very open-armed, but they are clearly serious players who study word lists and memorize anagrams and stuff. The leader of the group is nationally rated -- one of his friends told me that, and he brushed it off as "no big deal" -- and the others in the group skew significantly older than the average game nerd and have clearly been playing regularly for more years than I've been alive.
The Scrabblers are also the only group that never walks around to see what everyone else is playing or join in a pickup game while they're sitting out waiting for a partner. They're very welcoming and looking to recruit, but they don't have the general interest in games of any stripe that the rest of the store's clientele seems to share. If they're sitting out, they're studying dictionaries or playing solo to practice their bingos. There's almost no social element to their partner games, either. They only play in pairs, and they never talk about anything except the board.
I get the appeal, but...it's not what I'm looking for on my biweekly night out, you know?
Edit: I meant to edit this post for proper semicolon usage, but I mis-clicked and ended up creating a new post in which I quoted myself. Sorry guys.
-
Anagrams, Bingo, WTF?
I knew some hard core scrabblers (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/2330482925/) (Is that a word?).
-
I really like scrabble, and I struggle to find anyone I'm evenly matched with. I cream my hubby every time I play, and my only other friend who plays (who I play the iPhone scrabble with) is so much better than me that she's clearly gotten tired of beating me. She's really ethical, so I know she's not cheating. I realize there are cheat programs for Scrabble and I've taken a look at them to learn how to play a stronger game, but I refuse to actually use the program in game play. I've played a few anonymous match ups on iPhone and both the people I played were so obviously cheating that I was pretty disgusted. Why cheat at scrabble - isn't the intellectual pursuit sort of the point of the game? I dont' get people sometimes.
As for the non-minglers at your group JL, I can totally understand them because I am totally disinterested in those type of games. I've tried to play them, but I just don't like them at all. It's just not my thing at all. Words on the other hand, are totally my thing.
-
As for the non-minglers at your group JL, I can totally understand them because I am totally disinterested in those type of games. I've tried to play them, but I just don't like them at all. It's just not my thing at all. Words on the other hand, are totally my thing.
I get that, too. But it makes them stand out at the game store, where most people gather to learn new things and meet new people. The Scrabblers are a bit...cliquish.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
-
I've said this before but: Word Wars. It is way better than a documentary about Scrabble has any right to be. It's also better than the book.