The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: jaydub on January 14, 2012, 12:44:07 am

Title: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: jaydub on January 14, 2012, 12:44:07 am
Wombat baiting (http://news.yahoo.com/navy-depending-dolphins-keep-strait-hormuz-open-150106787.html)
Title: Re: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: wombat on January 14, 2012, 02:39:14 am
If we are depending on dolphins for anything, this country is in even worse shape than I thought.
Title: Re: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: miles on January 14, 2012, 05:58:09 am
Oh man, I heard this exchange on the radio:

Quote
KEATING: They are astounding in their ability to detect underwater objects.
NPR's TOM BOWMAN: Dolphins were sent to the Persian Gulf as part of the American invasion force in Iraq.
KEATING: I'd rather not talk about whether we used them or not. They were present in theater.
BOWMAN: But you can't say whether you used them or not.
KEATING: I'd rather not.

Jesus. It reminded me of this conversation I had with this dude at some bar in Vegas. He started talking about this one time he was swimming with dolphins or something and looked into a dolphin's eyes and could see how intelligent the mammal was, much more intelligent than any human, and then how the eyes pierced his soul and all this unicorn bullshit. So after a while I cut him off and said "but have you ever tried dolphin flesh?* It's delicious." He looked at me like I had just fucked his cat. It was striking because he was a really conservative guy in that he supported the wars, didn't like immigrants and homosexuals, that kind of conservative. He supported sending men and women off to die, but I can imagine how horrified he'd be by this story.

*I've never tried dolphin flesh. Unless those tuna cans are lying.
Title: Re: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: wombat on January 14, 2012, 05:01:22 pm
It's been so long, it took me ages to remember how to give Miles a thousand cans for that.
Title: Re: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 14, 2012, 05:38:35 pm
wait, so all this ado people make over IQ tests and all weve had to do all along was stare deeply into the subjects eyes?  wtf, science?!
Title: Re: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: miles on January 15, 2012, 05:10:54 am
(http://i.imgur.com/DcAio.jpg)

Another reason for my irrational fear of Dolphins (http://imgur.com/DcAio).
Title: Re: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: wombat on January 15, 2012, 03:05:45 pm
If I didn't have to draw the line somewhere, that would be another thousand cans.

But you know, there is nothing irrational about being afraid of dolphins. They are gang rapists and baby-murderers and humans are not (http://archives.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/06/04/uk.dolphin/index.html) safe either. (http://animalsbehavingbadly.blogspot.com/2009/12/delinquent-dolphin.html)
Title: Re: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: theinevitable on January 15, 2012, 07:06:28 pm
hm. I'd say it's a tiny bit irrational to be afraid of dolphins. Maybe it makes sense if you spend a lot of time in the ocean. But it's not like dolphins are going to come and break into your house and kill your baby.
Title: Re: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: wombat on January 15, 2012, 07:13:09 pm
"The sentimental view that these animals are harmless stems at least in part from the fact that they are usually in the water and we are usually on boats or dry land: they can’t get at us.” -Karen Pryor, animal behavior and dolphin expert

But because people don't have the sense to be afraid of dolphins they do stuff like pay money to go swimming with them on purpose. When they'd never do the same to, say, go running with a pack of lions.
Title: Re: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: Nabubrush on January 19, 2012, 08:48:50 pm
A dolphin did in fact rape my cat once. To be fair, the cat was asking for it.
Title: Re: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: theinevitable on January 19, 2012, 10:16:40 pm
I think I might have swam with dolphins as a child. I guess it didn't make a strong impression.

I seem to remember that I was freaked out by it, though.
Title: Re: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: wombat on January 20, 2012, 12:08:31 am
As you should have been!
Title: Re: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: pmcd9 on January 20, 2012, 04:26:51 am
I swam with dolphins on porpoise once.

Sorry dude, that one cost you a can. 
Title: Re: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: Nabubrush on January 20, 2012, 05:46:59 pm
Sorry dude, that one cost you a can. 

Paul: tough, but fair.
Title: Re: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: miles on February 22, 2012, 01:26:41 pm
Hey, remember when we were talking shit about dolphins?

OH SHIIIIIT (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-17116882)
Title: Re: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 22, 2012, 02:12:44 pm
Hey, remember when we were talking shit about dolphins?

OH SHIIIIIT (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-17116882)

but not gorillas/chimps?
Title: Re: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: Nabubrush on February 22, 2012, 04:20:08 pm
What is this homogenous collection of ethical considerations that these guys think all humans get?
Title: Re: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: wombat on February 22, 2012, 05:48:09 pm
I've talked about this.
http://animalsbehavingbadly.blogspot.com/2010/01/animals-being-treated-humanly.html (http://animalsbehavingbadly.blogspot.com/2010/01/animals-being-treated-humanly.html)
Title: Re: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: jaydub on February 22, 2012, 05:53:05 pm
Does this mean we need to educate them about the rights of other sentient beings?  Do we need to police and enforce those rules, and punish misbehavior?  Is their system of reproduction via rape a violation of other dolphins' rights?  Do we need dolphin prisons (other than Seaworld?)
Title: Re: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: side_show on February 22, 2012, 08:19:14 pm
You know what?  Yeah, let's give dolphins human rights!  Let's do it just after we successfully allow all people to have their human rights met, okay? 
Title: Re: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 22, 2012, 08:23:42 pm
when dolphins evolve into humans, then they can have human rights.
Title: Re: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: theinevitable on February 22, 2012, 08:38:11 pm
Quote
You know what?  Yeah, let's give dolphins human rights!  Let's do it just after we successfully allow all people to have their human rights met, okay?

Yeah, and we can worry about the environment once everyone has a job. And we can worry about sexism once we've fixed racism. And we can worry about racism once we've ended all the wars.

But for real, I think "human rights" is a bullshit idea. What does that even mean?

"Humans have an inalienable right to vote." You know, unless they live someplace where they can't vote. Then someone totally alienated that right. So I guess it's alienable.
Title: Re: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: wombat on February 22, 2012, 08:40:03 pm
Does this mean we need to educate them about the rights of other sentient beings?  Do we need to police and enforce those rules, and punish misbehavior?  Is their system of reproduction via rape a violation of other dolphins' rights?  Do we need dolphin prisons (other than Seaworld?)

My point exactly. Rights without responsibilities is never a good idea, right?
Title: Re: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: side_show on February 22, 2012, 08:49:24 pm
Let's keep Ash out of the coma and natal wards, okay? 
Title: Re: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: side_show on February 22, 2012, 09:35:36 pm
Is there something wrong with me that I enjoy that image?  That I suddenly want sushi?
Title: Re: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: jaydub on February 22, 2012, 09:45:58 pm
If Wombat's right, the next time you go body surfing you might find yourself being pushed out to sea.
Title: Re: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: miles on February 23, 2012, 04:06:58 am
Does this mean we need to educate them about the rights of other sentient beings?  Do we need to police and enforce those rules, and punish misbehavior?  Is their system of reproduction via rape a violation of other dolphins' rights?  Do we need dolphin prisons (other than Seaworld?)

I made a similar point in a paper I wrote for a philosophy of ecology class, and the professor was all, "that's a very good point." Legit.

I lost her though when I starting discussing how delicious dolphin flesh is.
Title: Re: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: Nabubrush on February 23, 2012, 04:22:36 am
Ash, you better hope those trained CIA dolphins don't find you.
Title: Re: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: wombat on February 23, 2012, 01:41:38 pm
I don't want to eat dolphins. I just want idiots to shut the fuck up about how great they supposedly are.
Title: Re: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: pmcd9 on February 23, 2012, 04:31:42 pm
A facebook friend posted this pic of themselves yesterday.
(http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/431405_379043258789688_100000520520954_1393442_1515631742_n.jpg)
Title: Re: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: wombat on February 23, 2012, 05:34:32 pm
Oh god, don't get me started.
Title: Re: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: Nabubrush on February 23, 2012, 05:36:23 pm
Paul, are you basically always surrounded by a bevy of beautiful women?
Title: Re: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: pmcd9 on February 23, 2012, 05:54:04 pm
Paul, are you basically always surrounded by a bevy of beautiful women?

I try.  But you're the one that gets all the action. Well, you and those dolphins.
Title: Re: "The lovable mammals..."
Post by: Nabubrush on February 24, 2012, 04:44:15 am
Dolphins are basically the anti-Nabu - fighters, not lovers.