The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: CortJstr on January 07, 2004, 03:58:35 pm
-
A good showing for Jough who came in 8th (http://www.merriam-webster.com/info/03words.htm) this year for the top 10 words. Falling just below such terms as marriage (wft? Who needs to look this up?) and gubernatorial.
-
Well, most of 'em connect to recent events/issues, obviously, hence I'd assume "marriage" appartains to the possibility of gay marriage. Maybe it's not so in America, but here in Canada there's been constant haggling over the definition of marriage over this past year.
-
Could be. I once looked up "sacred" to back up an argument that politicians should be forbidden from using the word because of it's religious denotation. And politicians can't be in any way religious in their professional lives.
Oddly enough I'm pretty sure the politician in question used the word in reference to gay marriage while on the Daily Show.