The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: CortJstr on February 07, 2012, 11:51:30 pm

Title: Brandy
Post by: CortJstr on February 07, 2012, 11:51:30 pm
This month grandma turns 95. As you can imagine she's hard to shop for. A few times over the years she's mentioned a cocktail she used to love that nobody makes any more. So I'm getting her the ingredients for a stinger, white creme de menth and brandy. But I know dick-all about brandy. Can somebody suggest one?
Title: Re: Brandy
Post by: Nabubrush on February 08, 2012, 06:07:43 pm
This poor little topic. I wish I could give you some advice, as I've been known to toss back a bevvy on occasion, but I don't know anything about Brandy.

Wait, I do know one thing. I can't recommend the blackberry variety, unless you want terrifying vomit.
Title: Re: Brandy
Post by: jaydub on February 08, 2012, 06:09:26 pm
Sloe gin is worse the second time around too.
Title: Re: Brandy
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 08, 2012, 07:01:11 pm
Cognac and armagnac are in the brandy family, but for the most part I think when people say "brandy" they mean American brandy. E&J was the brand we served where I used to tend bar. The only other brand I know of us Christian Brothers, which you should already be aware of (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03022006). Is there a premium American brandy out there? probably, but I couldn't tell you what it is.
Title: Re: Brandy
Post by: AugustWest on February 08, 2012, 07:55:51 pm
You're a fine girl.
Title: Re: Brandy
Post by: side_show on February 08, 2012, 08:23:11 pm
I have little to add except to day I have always wanted to try apricot brandy, but then when I get to the store I find myself looking at a bunch of random bottles and giving up.  If anyone figures out the whole brandy situation, let me know.
Title: Re: Brandy
Post by: jaydub on February 08, 2012, 08:26:52 pm
Tupac let us know that darkshit is pretty dope:

Even the cops can't stop us, my enemies flip
when they see me drink a fifth of that Hennessy


Title: Re: Brandy
Post by: AugustWest on February 08, 2012, 08:39:01 pm
What the dog on a log am I missing here?

C'mon dude, you're old enough to remember music on AM radio. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-tRXewCAmU)
Title: Re: Brandy
Post by: pmcd9 on February 08, 2012, 09:30:40 pm
What the dog on a log am I missing here?

I'm sorry dude, but I had to take a can away for that.  I played that song in junior high school band.
Title: Re: Brandy
Post by: jaydub on February 08, 2012, 10:04:52 pm
Huh.  I always thought that song was by Rod Stewart.  Not a fan.
Title: Re: Brandy
Post by: pmcd9 on February 08, 2012, 10:30:12 pm
Christ, I was five when that thing came out.

I was 9.
Title: Re: Brandy
Post by: pmcd9 on February 08, 2012, 10:32:18 pm
Perhaps this (http://www.mnftiu.cc/category/ffo_009/) will help you with your education.
Title: Re: Brandy
Post by: pmcd9 on February 08, 2012, 10:43:57 pm
After watching the video a couple of things.

1. The singer is much much younger than I would have imagined.  I guess, since I was so young when I first heard this that everyone was much older than me and that impression has stuck.

2.  Something about the way he sings, seeing him, reminds me of Chris Rock. Weird.

3.  Rickenbacker Bass.  Rock!
Title: Re: Brandy
Post by: miles on February 09, 2012, 03:33:59 am
I was 9.

I was T minus 7 and I know that song.

It doesn't hurt (or help, really) that the name of the song is the name of the subject of my most enduring and pathetic crush. Christ. I still wear a goddamn hat for this girl.
Title: Re: Brandy
Post by: JorgeFabregas on February 09, 2012, 03:34:33 am
It's a karaoke mainstay.
Title: Re: Brandy
Post by: Nabubrush on February 09, 2012, 04:49:51 pm
OK, I listened to it.

I'd never heard it before and now I wish it had stayed that way.

How can this not be a lie. Dude, you grew up on earth, I know you did.



(How is it that firefox has a two-key combination that shuts it completely down? I am not a good typist, fuckers)




When I think Christian Brothers, I think this (http://youtu.be/kEbIZbX3v6g), and then I get depression. There's also this (http://youtu.be/b6ZC01suRbo). Josh Homme seems like the kind of guy who only covered that so he could say "fuck" a lot.
Title: Re: Brandy
Post by: Nabubrush on February 17, 2012, 12:49:20 pm
OK, I listened to it.

I'd never heard it before and now I wish it had stayed that way.

How didn't I give you the chance to hear this solid performance (http://youtu.be/EMzA0g28Ue4) last week?



I'll leave as an exercise for the listener the task of finding Nikki Sixx's cover of Alone Again, Naturally.
Title: Re: Brandy
Post by: CortJstr on February 17, 2012, 02:17:53 pm
I went with E&J, btw
Title: Re: Brandy
Post by: pmcd9 on February 17, 2012, 03:25:45 pm
How didn't I give you the chance to hear this solid performance (http://youtu.be/EMzA0g28Ue4) last week?

That was boss.
Title: Re: Brandy
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 17, 2012, 04:30:36 pm
john frusciante does rad covers.  i dig his singing voice so much.
Title: Re: Brandy
Post by: AugustWest on February 17, 2012, 06:01:03 pm
Alone Again, Naturally.

Damn.  You oughta have to give the audience the number for the suicide hotline before you perform that song.
Title: Re: Brandy
Post by: Nabubrush on February 18, 2012, 04:33:53 am
Damn.  You oughta have to give the audience the number for the suicide hotline before you perform that song.

We've had quite a bit of discussion about that song around the ol' water cooler today. I did not realize that Sarah Vaughan covered it. That song is like the worst song ever.
Title: Re: Brandy
Post by: Nabubrush on February 18, 2012, 05:53:52 am
Listen, dude, that didn't help and nothing prolly ever  will but thanks for trying, really. It's not you man, it's totally me.

I knew it wouldn't - just pokin' the toad. For some reason I always want that song to be by Boz Scaggs.
Title: Re: Brandy
Post by: Nabubrush on February 18, 2012, 06:13:32 am
Listen, I hear that. Boz Scaggs makes open sores sound like a better deal.

There's an Asherdandy.
Title: Re: Brandy
Post by: jaydub on February 18, 2012, 05:12:36 pm
Anthony Keidis must be played by 4 or 5 different people.  Dude has so many different looks.
Title: Re: Brandy
Post by: Nabubrush on February 18, 2012, 05:32:12 pm
Anthony Keidis must be played by 4 or 5 different people.  Dude has so many different looks.

Just like Nic Cage! Nah, I'm just busting on him.
Title: Re: Brandy
Post by: AugustWest on February 18, 2012, 07:09:07 pm
That song is like the worst song ever.

On the contrary, it's an excellent song.  It's very effective at what it sets out to do -- make you want to jump off a bridge.
Title: Re: Brandy
Post by: Nabubrush on February 19, 2012, 04:58:25 am
On the contrary, it's an excellent song.  It's very effective at what it sets out to do -- make you want to jump off a bridge.

Well, or a tower.

It's battling I Don't Like Mondays (http://youtu.be/8yteMugRAc0) for space in my head.

(Whenever I get to feeling froggy about being well-rounded, I consider Bob Geldof.)
Title: Re: Brandy
Post by: Nabubrush on February 21, 2012, 04:37:41 pm
Could be worse - my co-worker is stuck with Alone Again (Naturally) thanks to me. And he never realized what the song was about until I told him.
Title: Re: Brandy
Post by: pmcd9 on February 21, 2012, 05:24:15 pm
I'ma fire up my Billy Idol mix and use the cleansing fire to burn it out this afternoon. I don't think Brandy will stand up to that white headed dude and Stevie Stevens (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgFh4RHgn0A) after the 14th or 24th repeat.

I think I'd rather hear Brandy.

But I'm not hearing either since Nabu has earwormed me into listening to Steely Dan (http://youtu.be/IVBAnxmXd_k) since yesterday.  Ha ha, I win.
Title: Re: Brandy
Post by: Jaded Tersk on February 22, 2012, 12:12:45 am
Could be worse - my co-worker is stuck with Alone Again (Naturally) thanks to me. And he never realized what the song was about until I told him.

I just sat and furiously thought about what hidden meaning there could be in the lyrics to Alone Again Or by Love - for like 5 freaking minutes.  Time to sleep, or learn to read properly, and I can't do both at once.
Title: Re: Brandy
Post by: KeithHernandez on February 22, 2012, 03:07:07 am
I just sat and furiously thought about what hidden meaning there could be in the lyrics to Alone Again Or by Love - for like 5 freaking minutes.  Time to sleep, or learn to read properly, and I can't do both at once.

Me too.