The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: side_show on February 23, 2012, 02:38:04 pm
-
As a fan of David Lynch, I am always interested in finding the off kilter stuff out there.
The first thing I thought when I saw this iPod charger (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSm5TUKr4L8) is that it looks like something out of Eraserhead, and upon showing it to my husband -- without comment mind you -- that is exactly what he said too.
-
Checking out more of this artist's stuff (http://pinktentacle.com/2009/09/mechanical-tumor-external-heart-elastic-cell/), I must say I really like the external heart. "I'm just going out to walk my heart honey, I'll be back soon!"
-
I saw this iPod charger (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSm5TUKr4L8)
It looks like it's sucking the ipod, but it's actually flowing the other way.
-
Since we're discussing ALL things Lynchian... favorite Lynch movie?
Mulholland Dr. for me. And not just because of the girl on girl action. It's a near perfect movie, but I also would have liked to see it as a TV series. I think he was developing it for ABC or another network, which wouldn't have ruined it (Twin Peaks was still awesome), but imagine what he could do on HBO. That could be fuck*ng amazing.
I remember Eraserhead blowing my mind in high school. I haven't watched it since, at least not all the way through, even though I own a copy. I need to fix that soon.
I always like to drive along Mulholland Drive when I'm in LA. This last time I did it at like 3 or 4 in the morning, and it was so crazy beautiful looking out over Los Angeles. There were these... clouds I guess, over the city. I don't know how to describe it. If only I would have had a decent camera on me. It really was beautiful. The thing about LA is, I fuck*ng love it. My best vacations are there. There are always strange and beautiful moments like that, and then I think I'd love to live there. Doesn't hurt that one lady in particular I'd like to get with lives there now. But then I think about how I'd have to bring my normal life along, and it wouldn't be the same.
-
Several members of my family lived in LA so I went there countless times between when I was born and when I finished college. I would have loved to live in the LA of my imagination circa 1948 - 1955.
I love Eraserhead, Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart. I think my sentimental favorite is Eraserhead. However, I am an idiot and have not seen Mulholland Drive or Inland Empire.
I would like it if David Lynch directed a James Ellroy film.
-
God, I love David Lynch. I've been thinking about this for a while, and I just can't choose.
As a side note, I have the entire series of Twin Peaks (yes even the special movie-length pilot episode for the completists in the room, and yes, even Fire Walk With Me) and I enjoy occasionally taking them all out and going on a marathon binge. One thing though - the whole Josie Packard storyline is so boring I tend to skip through those bits.
-
My longstanding fave Lynch film has been Blue Velvet, and the way these things work, it probably always will be. The Elephant Man, Straight Story and Mulholland Dr. are all duking it out for second place.
Even though Blue Velvet stands as a more 'coherent' piece of work, Twin Peaks is highest in my affections, despite all of the problems that came from it being on the television. Even with Dick Tremayne and Little Nicky, James and Evelyn Marsh, Audrey and John Justice Wheeler, The Professor and Maryanne...it all adds up to way more than the sum of its parts. Some of those Season 2 parts were hateful to me, because I loved Twin Peaks so much, but they don't ruin it for me.
I met my partner on a Twin Peaks messageboard. She made a joke about Pete Martell, and I just fell in love with her. It culminated in me throwing all my possessions in my car and driving up to Scotland to stay with her, without ever having met before. That was seven years ago now.
-
I feel kind of bad because we got the boxed set and made it about 2/3 through and just stopped. And I love everything else I've seen of his, but I think we just lost the mood.
-
The Straight Story is so good and it often doesn't come up in Lynch conversations unless you're dealing with serious Lynch fans. When I briefly flirted with majoring in film, a paper on that movie was one of the bigger projects I took on that semester. I remember watching it on my PC basically frame by frame, and even after that I still loved it.
But Mulholland Dr. stuns me every time I watch it. There are just a handful of movies about which I can say the same.
I met my partner on a Twin Peaks messageboard. She made a joke about Pete Martell, and I just fell in love with her. It culminated in me throwing all my possessions in my car and driving up to Scotland to stay with her, without ever having met before. That was seven years ago now.
That's a fantastic story. I kind of had similar thing happen, except it was an email list for the band Low. And we broke up and she married a friend of mine. But fuck it. What still smarts to this day was that I moved back to Utah for her (having dropped out of college due to misery) after going back to Seattle (home) for good. And I've kind of just been stuck here since.
-
Also, no love for Lost Highway?
And Nabu, you mentioned Inland Empire. I was a bit disappointed, but I think I was expecting too much. I liked it, but it wasn't Mulholland Dr. But he'll never make a Mulholland Dr. again, I mean, not exactly, just like he'll never make a Wild at Heart again. I need to give Inland Empire another shot. I haven't seen it since I did in the theater.
Your Ellroy idea is interesting. Lynch's best stuff is also written by him, but I'm curious what you would think about him doing an Ellroy project after you see Mulholland Dr. (though other movies, especially Blue Velvet, have elements of noir).
-
That's a weird one, isn't it, when you're just living in a place because you moved there for no reason except for a relationship that ended ages ago. I've been in that spot, too.
Did the whole thing affect how you feel when you listen to Low now?
And since this is ALL things Lynchian, has anyone else listened to the new David Lynch album, Crazy Clown Time? It's pretty much what you'd expect it to sound like. I bought it anyway since he's comfortably within the circle of the dozen or so artistes I will financially support basically no questions asked.
-
Have you had his coffee?
-
That's a weird one, isn't it, when you're just living in a place because you moved there for no reason except for a relationship that ended ages ago. I've been in that spot, too.
Did the whole thing affect how you feel when you listen to Low now?
I do have a life here now, with something approaching a career, and family and friends and other relationships. It wouldn't be accurate to say I entirely regret the decision, because I value the life I have here. But when I do think about that summer I decided to move back, I wince a bit. I'd rather be in Seattle. It's just tougher now because I have roots, but that summer nothing was holding me back. Except that...
No, I can still listen to Low and other music we enjoyed together. The whole thing wasn't quite as dramatic as I made it seem. We dated for a year give or take, and then I broke up with her in my typically passive fashion. Several months later we started dating again basically because one night I wanted to get laid. And then a month later, out of the blue, she started dating this guy. He wasn't a close friend really, but it sucked. My pride was hurt more than anything. Payback for being a piece of shit, and a good learning experience.
And since this is ALL things Lynchian, has anyone else listened to the new David Lynch album, Crazy Clown Time? It's pretty much what you'd expect it to sound like. I bought it anyway since he's comfortably within the circle of the dozen or so artistes I will financially support basically no questions asked.
I haven't yet, but I plan to. I won't approach it like I approached Inland Empire.
And I haven't had his coffee.
-
Have you had his coffee?
No. But I mean, I would.
-
I don't really like David Lynch much, but then again, I don't like coffee. David Lynch might be like coffee.
-
David Lynch is exactly like coffee.
-
I assume David Lynch coffee is like that Civet coffee.
-
I assume David Lynch coffee is like that Civet coffee.
I almost went there. I just assumed everyone else would automatically.
-
I assume David Lynch coffee is like that Civet coffee.
There is a Danish stout brewed with civet coffee beans. Supposedly it is very good.
-
There is a Danish stout brewed with civet coffee beans. Supposedly it is very good.
Is it called David Lynch? or Danish Lynch, perhaps?
-
There is a Danish stout brewed with civet coffee beans. Supposedly it is very good.
That sounds like everything that is good in life.
-
There's a new video for 'Crazy Clown Time' directed by Lynch.
NSFW on account of chesticles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6QJpY2VNP0E
-
Well I really liked where they were going with the music, the guitar and strings, but then the dude started singing some retarded nonsense. I hung around as long as I could because of the boobies, but I couldn't hang until the end.
-
Well I really liked where they were going with the music, the guitar and strings, but then the dude started singing some retarded nonsense. I hung around as long as I could because of the boobies, but I couldn't hang until the end.
That's almost verbatim how my dad described going to the Monterey Pop Festival to me when I asked.
-
I'd like to see all these characters in a movie.
I read about a new documentary about David Lynch (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lynchthreeproject/david-lynch-documentary-lynch-three) that's in production, and apparently Lynch is participating fully in the project, which is pretty exciting. He talks very little about himself and I've always found him fascinating with his polite, sweethearted demeanor contrasted with the amazingly dark work he creates.