The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: wombat on February 28, 2012, 01:11:03 pm

Title: New Google privacy policy: should Wombat give a fuck?
Post by: wombat on February 28, 2012, 01:11:03 pm
So I've had this link sitting open for about a week trying to decide if I care about doing anything about this
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/02/how-remove-your-google-search-history-googles-new-privacy-policy-takes-effect (https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/02/how-remove-your-google-search-history-googles-new-privacy-policy-takes-effect)
and this morning there was an article in the newspaper even.

That link has so many caveats about how little it will actually help to remove my web history anyway. And I am not sure exactly what I should be worried about. If they are using this stuff to have more information about which ads to show me, well, I have AdBlock on my browser and don't see most of the ads, so all their analysis is for nothing. And if law enforcement wants to know all the perverted animal sex that I Google about, they just have to read what I end up writing about it on my blog.
Title: Re: New Google privacy policy: should Wombat give a fuck?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 28, 2012, 02:47:17 pm
I was just wondering about that this morning. As far as I can tell, they're going to use your browsing history across other Google apps. As long as it's just MY Google apps, I fail to see what the big deal is. As long as they're not going to share my mascot/furry searches with other people, who gives a shit.
Title: Re: New Google privacy policy: should Wombat give a fuck?
Post by: Nabubrush on March 01, 2012, 01:01:27 pm
Finally my Luddite behavior in not adopting gmail pays off. Yeah, I know having a Yahoo address makes me look like a doddering old fool being spoon-fed strained peas. However, now no one will know I share the Mayor's proclivities.
Title: Re: New Google privacy policy: should Wombat give a fuck?
Post by: greenkoolayd on March 01, 2012, 03:14:41 pm
(http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/9/3/e3ffbf15-e17e-481e-a208-ccaede0f9ca4.jpg)

(this belongs in the "meme" thread as well, but ^ )
Title: Re: New Google privacy policy: should Wombat give a fuck?
Post by: theinevitable on March 01, 2012, 05:28:14 pm
How much less annoying would the internet be if 1984 had never been written?
Title: Re: New Google privacy policy: should Wombat give a fuck?
Post by: side_show on March 01, 2012, 05:58:42 pm
How much less annoying would the internet be if 1984 had never been written?

How much less annoying would the internet be if cats hadn't been domesticated?
Title: Re: New Google privacy policy: should Wombat give a fuck?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 02, 2012, 02:28:55 pm
Here is one person's explanation of why he deleted his Google history.
http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2012/03/forget-google-web-history/

Short version: "I don't want potentially painful memories to be served up to me in the form of targeted advertising." Fair enough, but I wouldn't say that's universal.
Title: Re: New Google privacy policy: should Wombat give a fuck?
Post by: wombat on March 02, 2012, 03:20:33 pm
Geez, some people can make drama out of anything, huh?
Title: Re: New Google privacy policy: should Wombat give a fuck?
Post by: Jaded Tersk on March 02, 2012, 04:01:50 pm
Geez, some people can make drama out of anything, huh?

OMG, how could you say that!!?! *runs away sobbing*