The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: pmcd9 on January 09, 2004, 06:51:34 pm

Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: pmcd9 on January 09, 2004, 06:51:34 pm
I don't know how much trading has been going on, but I just recieved my first offering from our Limmo.  (btw, if anyone has a mixdisc on offer, i'm interested and will reciprocate).  I noticed there hasn't been any discussion of these disc in here so i'll break the ice and say that Limmo's "A mixtape Todd found on a dumpster and decided to hang on to" is frickin' awesome!!!  Good pace, leaning toward the upbeat, with lots of great songs.  A great party disc I would think.  Some of the songs and artist I knew and some I didn't which is good.  A little mix of the familiar with the new.  I've listened to it several times and I intend to give it many more spins.

~Paul
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: jough on January 09, 2004, 07:35:36 pm
I got that one too (mine will be mailed shortly, I promise).

I really like the three I have heard so far.

Mine won't have a cool name like that, though.

Anyway, I love hearing the cool new music, and must concur that Limmo indeed knows really awesome tunes and was kind enough to share them with me (and Paul, evidently).

The rest of you are *so* out of the inner circle loop.  Nanner nanner on you.
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: AugustWest on January 09, 2004, 08:05:04 pm
Mine are burned and will be mailed over the weekend.
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: sjlimmer on January 09, 2004, 08:16:07 pm
I also believe that the mixes I've recived thus far are things of beauty.  Not like that crappy one I sent out.  

Here here for folks with good taste, sending me songs by bands that I a)had heard of, but never heard and b)ended up really enjoying.  Good on 'ya.
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: Limmo on January 09, 2004, 10:54:18 pm
Bun of a sitch, my disc got it's very own poll!  They grow up so fast.

Carlosdelvaca's disc will be in the mail by tomorrow; never got a reply back from AugustWest.  

Glad you guys enjoyed the tunes.  sjlimmer and Andalucia both pointed me towards artists I'd never thought about ( Yo La Tengo; Jim O'Rourke ); I look forward to the next batch.
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: V-Adore on January 10, 2004, 03:10:51 am
I really will try to get my mix off the ground soon. As for mixes I've received, I just got sjlimmer's (gave Jough contact info, but it was apparently not meant to be) and have not listened to it yet, but it looks keen.
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: slink on January 10, 2004, 03:58:20 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
...but it looks keen.


Wow.
Keen.
Superb!

Anyway, I'm sulking, what with airmail costs and the chances of VAT getting slapped on shit.
Fuckers.
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: jough on January 10, 2004, 06:44:12 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
(gave Jough contact info, but it was apparently not meant to be)


God DAMMIT you KNOW I'm hardly ever frikkin' AWAKE when the post office is open.

It's coming, it's coming.

And I *ahem* haven't received a mix from you yet, either.

*humph*
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: V-Adore on January 10, 2004, 07:42:19 am
Quote from: "jough"

And I *ahem* haven't received a mix from you yet, either.

*humph*

As soon as I actually get a mix together, it will be yours. (Well, once I get contact info, anyway.)
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: andalucia on January 10, 2004, 03:00:28 pm
I'm here to testify that the discs I've gotten have also been rad, and I'm happy that there have been no embarassing moments of someone using exactly the same song as I did (close enough though: different songs by the same [relatively obscure] band, and different versions of the same [albeit an obvious choice] song.  Curse you all and your impeccable taste!)

sjlimmer, I swear I am working on getting your disc mailed!
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: Limmo on January 10, 2004, 04:38:10 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
different versions of the same [albeit an obvious choice] song.


The song she refers to is John Cale's "Andalucia", included on my CD as the track from Paris 1919, and on hers as the Yo La Tengo cover.  

I was going to include the original version of The Knack's "My Sharona," which was called "Choopernickel," but I seem to have lost my copy.
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: Choop on January 10, 2004, 04:44:32 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
I was going to include the original version of The Knack's "My Sharona," which was called "Choopernickel," but I seem to have lost my copy.


No shit? I never knew that.

oh god what about my cred oh god there it goes
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: sjlimmer on January 10, 2004, 06:52:55 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"

sjlimmer, I swear I am working on getting your disc mailed!


Um, I already got it, a few days ago.  It's very nice.  If you really want to send another, well, I guess you can.  I could pass it on to someone who needs to be musically enriched.

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I just got sjlimmer's...and have not listened to it yet, but it looks keen.


Wow, I made a dic that looks keen.  You have no idea what high praise I consider that.  Thanks.
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: andalucia on January 10, 2004, 08:30:39 pm
Quote from: "sjlimmer"
Um, I already got it, a few days ago.  It's very nice.  If you really want to send another, well, I guess you can.  I could pass it on to someone who needs to be musically enriched.


Huh.  Wow, I'm more efficient than I'd thought.  Egad.
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: pmcd9 on January 16, 2004, 03:39:58 am
Shut up Al Green!

~Paul
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: pmcd9 on January 16, 2004, 06:59:40 pm
I went looking for more info on The Detroit Cobras because I love those two songs of theirs you included in your mix and I wanted to know what the hell she was singing Hey Say low ne oh or some such.  I came across this quote.

Quote from: "Dan Kilian- Pitchfork Reviewer"
This CD doesn't get played again unless I find a mix tape segue that's crying for "Hey Sailor" or whatever it's called. There are lots of snakes out there; this one doesn't have enough venom.

full article here (http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/d/detroit-cobras/life-love-and-leaving.shtml)

Kinda funny, but it does beg, er raise the question: Would you agree with this statement or is the rest of their album as killer as the two songs i've heard?

~Paul
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: Limmo on January 16, 2004, 07:37:13 pm
Regarding the Detroit Cobras: They definitely front-loaded the album with that one-two punch, I can't lie about that.  The rest of the record is slower-paced, but still continues in that vein.  If you like the idea of a DNA splice between the Crystals and 1965 Stones, you'll like it.  

However, that Pitchfork reviewer definitely woke up on the wrong side of the bitter indie fuck sofa.  I take their reviews with basketball-sized grains of salt ( I'm no fan of Liz Phair's, but her new album gets a 0.0?  I think the only album that deserves a 0.0 is a blank CD ).
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: St_Zartan on January 16, 2004, 07:54:16 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
However, that Pitchfork reviewer definitely woke up on the wrong side of the bitter indie fuck sofa.


It must be some sort of rule: if you write for Pitchfork and you do not like something, you must hate it, because hate makes for lively and sassy reviews. It takes a very special sort of fuck*ng asshole to call one of my favorite bands "the most calculated and possibly least interesting female-fronted shoegaze pop band to emerge in the late-80s/early-90s".

(Full disclosure: I did enjoy their full-bore disemboweling of Andrew W.K., because it was long fuck*ng overdue. Don't get me started.)

EDIT: THAT LIZ PHAIR ALBUM WAS PRETTY DAMNED BAD, THOUGH; PHEW-WEE
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: pmcd9 on January 16, 2004, 08:05:31 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
However, that Pitchfork reviewer definitely woke up on the wrong side of the bitter indie fuck sofa.  I take their reviews with basketball-sized grains of salt ( I'm no fan of Liz Phair's, but her new album gets a 0.0?  I think the only albums that deserves a 0.0 is a blank CD ).


Yeah Pitchfork can be too pretentious for it's own good sometimes, but they can be pretty damn funny when they go on a rant.  Their Andrew WK review (http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/a/andrew-wk/i-get-wet.shtml) for example is hilarious.

~Paul
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: pmcd9 on January 16, 2004, 08:08:23 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
(Full disclosure: I did enjoy their full-bore disemboweling of Andrew W.K., because it was long fuck*ng overdue. Don't get me started.)


Damn you beat me to it because I accidentally deleted my post before I posted it.

BTW, who is the shoegaze band you like that Pitchfork trashed?

~Paul
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: slink on January 16, 2004, 08:14:55 pm
Man I can't believe they took it that seriously.
'Is this the future of...' FUCK NO! It's not any fuck*ng future, it's just a load of trite gobshite. Ignore it, and it'll go the fuck away!
Oh look, he ammended it saying he ignored it and it went the fuck away! See!?
Jesus. Don't encourage people!

I'm in such a Bill Hicks mood now.
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: St_Zartan on January 16, 2004, 08:17:24 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
BTW, who is the shoegaze band you like that Pitchfork trashed?


Lush. The band most people remember for "Ladykillers", which was an excellent Britpop song and all, granted, only Britpop wasn't actually what they did; their older stuff (Spooky, Split) is literally beautiful music, the sort of songs that might go through your head when waking up in the throes of a high fever to find yourself at the bottom of a very deep well, surrounded by tiny frogs, dead leaves, and glittering coins. "Lovelife" is probably my second favorite song of all time - I can and sometimes do put that single track on repeat and just bliss out for hours.

"Oh, no," said some woman I was talking to, "you're one of those 4AD kids, aren't you?" I guess I am.
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: Limmo on January 16, 2004, 08:39:58 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
EDIT: THAT LIZ PHAIR ALBUM WAS PRETTY DAMNED BAD, THOUGH; PHEW-WEE


Liz Phair would be OK if she knew how to sing or write memorable songs.  But I remember someone summing up the appeal of Exile in Guyville by saying "She could be my blowjob queen anytime!"  I found myself thinking what if she was a 300 pound lesbian covered with stringy warts?  Would you still subject yourself to that album if that were the case?

My point is: bad as the new L.P. LP might be, you only give something a 0.0 if you have a deep personal grievance with someone, because no album is that bad. A grievance along the lines of how dare you offer yourself up to the TRL crowd, you're supposed to be my indie wank-fantasy forever.  Or something.

THE HELL DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH MY MIX CD
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: jay-ell on January 16, 2004, 08:44:50 pm
I kind of like Liz Phair.  I mean, sure, she's a cutsie pop queen, but compared to Britney Spears, she's frikkin Elvira.
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 16, 2004, 08:48:27 pm
I'd rather Bone Britney Spears than Elvira. Bodacious TaTas notwithstanding.
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: pmcd9 on January 16, 2004, 09:52:58 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Man I can't believe they took it that seriously.


They only took it seriously because a lot of people with allegedly good taste like Side Show's Husband (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=540&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=50) thought it was good enough to pay their hard earned money for.  It wasn't a record review as much as an intervention.  A lot of people needed serious help and reading that review was the first step down the long road to recovery for many.

~Paul
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: pmcd9 on January 16, 2004, 09:59:55 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
EDIT: THAT LIZ PHAIR ALBUM WAS PRETTY DAMNED BAD, THOUGH; PHEW-WEE


Liz Phair would be OK if she knew how to sing or write memorable songs.  But I remember someone summing up the appeal of Exile in Guyville by saying "She could be my blowjob queen anytime!"  I found myself thinking what if she was a 300 pound lesbian covered with stringy warts?  Would you still subject yourself to that album if that were the case?

My point is: bad as the new L.P. LP might be, you only give something a 0.0 if you have a deep personal grievance with someone, because no album is that bad. A grievance along the lines of how dare you offer yourself up to the TRL crowd, you're supposed to be my indie wank-fantasy forever.  Or something.

THE HELL DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH MY MIX CD


I think Liz Phair's latest is not nearly as bad as Pitchfork (and everybody else actually) thinks in direct proportion to Exile in Guyville is not nearly as good as (insert indy publication here) thought at the time.  In other words, she hasn't fallen as far as they think because she was never that good.  I never got her frankly, but now i'm kinda pulling for her because she's become such an outcast in the indy press.

~Paul
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: jay-ell on January 16, 2004, 10:32:03 pm
Actually, I haven't heard her latest album, so who knows?  

JLD: Always 5 years behind the times.
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: pmcd9 on January 17, 2004, 03:07:33 am
The Posies really wear their Big Star influence on their sleeve.  Well at least on Song 1 for sure.  I wonder if they've called it Song 1 because it sounds exactly like Number 1 Record era Big Star?

~Paul
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: Limmo on January 17, 2004, 05:16:00 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
The Posies really wear their Big Star influence on their sleeve.  Well at least on Song 1 for sure.  I wonder if they've called it Song 1 because it sounds exactly like Number 1 Record era Big Star?

~Paul


Alex Chilton asked the two main Posies to help him reform Big Star, so they can get away with it.  

It's track nine or ten on Amazing Disgrace, so maybe you're right.
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: pmcd9 on January 17, 2004, 05:31:16 am
Quote from: "Limmo"
Alex Chilton asked the two main Posies to help him reform Big Star, so they can get away with it.


Oh yeah, I knew that, but forgot.

~Paul
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: andalucia on January 17, 2004, 08:52:35 pm
Gah... Liz Phair...   I find her fairly repulsive, and her music terrible.
On the contrary, anything to do with Big Star makes me irrationally happy (except for the bad, bad, Cheap Trick cover as the theme to That 70s Show...), ergo, I shall have to look into these Posies, which I have been meaning to do for some time...
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: jough on January 17, 2004, 09:52:48 pm
I think Liz Phair is HELLA sexy, and her first album is really good (although I thought the whole "blow job queen" aspect of her lyrics were more cheesy than sexy).

But her song "Dance of the Seven Veils" almost made my mix disc - it's that great!
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: V-Adore on January 18, 2004, 12:47:55 am
I'm not sure I could stand Liz Phair at album length, but I have MP3s of "Polyester Bride" and "Shatter," and I don't hate them. The guitar solo that starts "Shatter" is a thing of beauty and a joy forever.
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: CortJstr on January 18, 2004, 05:18:06 pm
I had no idea she had more than one album. I'd only ever heard Polyester Bride on the radio. If it were for this thread and her current TiVo feature I would've had no idea she was more than a one-hit-wonder.
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: jough on January 18, 2004, 07:52:31 pm
Oh, god, if you only know Liz Phair from her latest (fourth) album, which is horrible, you need to go out and buy "Exile in Guyville" and "Whipsmart" like, NOW.

Even "Whitechocolatespaceegg" was interesting if not good.
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: conure on January 19, 2004, 01:29:05 pm
New poll: Bone, Bone, Bone, like six times a day!
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: pmcd9 on January 22, 2004, 05:14:24 am
Iggy Pop and James Williamson, Consolation Prizes.  That's a great song, what's it from?

~Paul
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: pmcd9 on January 23, 2004, 11:14:09 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Iggy Pop and James Williamson, Consolation Prizes.  That's a great song, what's it from?

~Paul


Hey Limmo are you gonna help me out or do I have to look this shit up myself?

~Paul
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: Limmo on January 24, 2004, 12:10:34 am
Calm your dick, Paul, I just got back from a fuckin' memorial service.

Consolation Prizes.  Heh.  The version on the mix CD is from a three-song CD single called Jesus Loves the Stooges (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000003JFO/qid=1074919356//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl15/103-6582036-9183811?v=glance&s=music&n=507846).It's got "Prizes,""Johanna" and the title track, which sucks.   However, the other two songs were so good that I went out afterwards and got the album they're from, Kill City.
Well.  Not only does Kill City suck, but the versions on the single are better than the album versions.

If you want either of the other two tracks, let me know.
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: pmcd9 on January 26, 2004, 09:01:43 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
Calm your dick, Paul, I just got back from a fuckin' memorial service.

Geez, how was I supposed to know.  Sorry for your loss, man.

Quote from: "Limmo"
If you want either of the other two tracks, let me know.

I will and Thank You.

~Paul
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: Limmo on January 26, 2004, 10:27:59 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"

Geez, how was I supposed to know.  Sorry for your loss, man.
~Paul


You weren't.  I was just in a bad mood, and I shouldn't have included that information in my post.  Once again, Jim lashes out for the sake of melodrama.  

Sometimes I'm just a dick.  OK, most of the time.
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: jough on January 26, 2004, 10:57:06 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"

Sometimes I'm just a dick.  OK, most of the time.


I wasn't going to say anything.
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: Limmo on January 26, 2004, 10:59:12 pm
Did someone just say something? Someone who still hasn't sent me a CD?

I didn't think so.
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: pmcd9 on January 27, 2004, 07:04:24 pm
Al Green's 'I Want to Hold Your Hand' fills me with joy.

~Paul
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: Limmo on January 27, 2004, 08:35:16 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Al Green's 'I Want to Hold Your Hand' fills me with joy.
~Paul


Shut up, Paul McRae!

That song comes from a rarities compilation called Love Ritual.  For an odds and sods compilation, it flows brilliantly.  Strongly recommended if you're in the market for an Al Green album.  Bwana!
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: St_Zartan on January 28, 2004, 06:45:27 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Al Green's 'I Want to Hold Your Hand' fills me with joy.
~Paul


Shut up, Paul McRae!


Is "fills me with joy" some sort of Sekrit Achewood Message Board Mystery Slang for "repulses every fibre of my being"?

SENT BOXTOPS AND PERMISSION SLIP; AWAITING CODEBOOK, GLOW-IN-THE-DARK PEN, AND DECODER RING
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: pmcd9 on January 28, 2004, 07:15:18 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Is "fills me with joy" some sort of Sekrit Achewood Message Board Mystery Slang for "repulses every fibre of my being"?


I don't want your mixtape.

~Paul
Title: Frickin' Awesome
Post by: Limmo on January 28, 2004, 07:15:37 pm
Shut up, St. Shazbot!

Al Green's "I Want To Hold Your Hand" begins with a somewhat stoned-sounding Al loudly asking "We got the feeling now?!?" At which point the engineer opens the intercom and says "Shut up, Al Green."  

So me telling Paul to shut up is what the Codebook would refer to as an "in-joke." As in a joke you are not privy to because you don't have my mix CD, unlike the other folks contributing to this thread.  

If this is a situation you wish to correct, PM me your address and I will send you one.

ETA: Wow, now there's some timing!  WONDER TWIN POWERS ACTIVATE!!