The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Carlos del Vaca on March 07, 2012, 02:28:23 pm

Title: March Madness 2012
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 07, 2012, 02:28:23 pm
I have started a Yahoo pool for our bracket biz-nass. You can sign up now, but obviously you won't be able to pick teams until Sunday night at the earliest.

http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com
group name: like playin' a basketball game
group number: 37134
password: nicepete

I am a bit disenchanted right now, as my team (George Mason) got their ass completely handed to them by their arch-rival VCU in the conference semi-final. VCU started out 22-0 and then 32-4. It was horrible. Mason got back to down 14 at halftime and within 6 in the second half, so if they could have come back and won it would have been outrageously awesome, but they never got any closer and lost by 10. And then VCU beat Drexel (where my brother went to school) the next day to win the tournament. Those sheepy bastards. The CAA tournament is in Richmond every year, which pretty much gives VCU home court, which is bullshit.
Title: Re: March Madness 2012
Post by: Nabubrush on March 07, 2012, 04:46:32 pm
I'm down with this and I will suck at it.
Title: Re: March Madness 2012
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 07, 2012, 05:20:31 pm
I encourage everyone to sign up even if you know jack shit about college basketball. Some suggestions for making your picks:

*I wish I could take credit for this, but it's in some online piece or other that's going around. If that's your criteria, I expect Valparaiso to be your national champion.
Title: Re: March Madness 2012
Post by: Nabubrush on March 07, 2012, 05:22:15 pm
I am going to be a complete AshHole about this.

Among everything else?
Title: Re: March Madness 2012
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 07, 2012, 05:39:00 pm
I often pick a team I despise (usually Duke) as the eventual winner. That way, if they do win, my irritation is mitigated by having done well in the pool. It actually worked one year and I won the whole thing thanks to coach K.
Title: Re: March Madness 2012
Post by: AugustWest on March 07, 2012, 06:07:40 pm
Oh hell yes I'm in.
Title: Re: March Madness 2012
Post by: Nabubrush on March 07, 2012, 08:10:49 pm
I often pick a team I despise (usually Duke) as the eventual winner. That way, if they do win, my irritation is mitigated by having done well in the pool. It actually worked one year and I won the whole thing thanks to coach K.

That helps in picking football to an extent, but my hatred of certain teams way, way overshadows my enjoyment of winning and being right.

Ash, there is much to be said for sticking to them guns.
Title: Re: March Madness 2012
Post by: pmcd9 on March 08, 2012, 05:09:31 am
We also have a Hollywood Showdown (http://espn.go.com/espnradio/bracket?id=7624667) field of 64 to vote on.

I lost a little bit of faith in humanity voting in that thing.  Morgan Freeman over Jeff Bridges?  Will Ferrell over Jodie Foster?  What?
Title: Re: March Madness 2012
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 08, 2012, 02:57:37 pm
There's a bracket of characters from The Wire going on somewhere, I want to say SB Nation.

My favorite is Name of the Year, though they've had Onstad-esque issues with regular posting.
http://nameoftheyear.blogspot.com/
Title: Re: March Madness 2012
Post by: jaydub on March 11, 2012, 10:26:42 pm
I'm in with the Null Set
Title: Re: March Madness 2012
Post by: lprkn on March 12, 2012, 09:03:10 am
In with Bleep Bloop Bleep.

...I have no idea what I'm doing.
Title: Re: March Madness 2012
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 12, 2012, 11:30:34 pm
I just know that Syracuse will lose earlier and to far worse a team than they have any right to.

If you can't beat Cincinnati, you ain't going far.
Title: Re: March Madness 2012
Post by: Nabubrush on March 17, 2012, 02:33:43 pm
Bracket: busted.
Title: Re: March Madness 2012
Post by: Nabubrush on March 27, 2012, 06:12:47 pm
I have Kansas - Duke on one bracket and Kansas - Michigan State on the other. I always pick Kansas to win it all in honor of a buddy of mine. Also, I don't know anything about college basketball.
Title: Re: March Madness 2012
Post by: AugustWest on March 28, 2012, 05:59:56 pm
Hey, Auggie-Doggie!

I just wanted you to know that I've got Kansas taking out UK in the final.

Good luck with that.

Quote
Is it true what I hear about the Commonwealth of Kentucky? That the result of the Louisville - UK game is gonna cut the state population by about half?

It's been surprisingly calm so far, but I've stayed away from the message boards and talk radio.
Title: Re: March Madness 2012
Post by: pmcd9 on April 02, 2012, 09:26:41 pm
A friend of mine created this graphic.

(http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/554106_3319012006852_1014828435_3200076_643754863_n.jpg)

I think it's rad.
Title: Re: March Madness 2012
Post by: miles on April 03, 2012, 03:14:26 am
That is really cool.

I totally forgot to watch the final four, and just remembered tonight's game. And I really wanted to watch the games.
Title: Re: March Madness 2012
Post by: AugustWest on April 03, 2012, 04:13:13 am
Greetings from Big Blue Nation.

That'll be #8. 

This team kicked ass six ways from Sunday.  What a great season. 
Title: Re: March Madness 2012
Post by: pmcd9 on April 03, 2012, 04:18:00 am
It's been a while since I've really watched basketball.  I saw maybe 2 minutes of the game tonight and I saw two things that used to be illegal.  Seems like every player on both teams were palming the ball every time they dribbled.  And apparently hanging on the basket after a dunk is totally legal now.
Title: Re: March Madness 2012
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 03, 2012, 01:18:47 pm
Who is "Chad?" Congratulations on winning the bracket pool.
Title: Re: March Madness 2012
Post by: miles on April 04, 2012, 05:41:50 am
That's me. Huzzah.