The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: AugustWest on March 29, 2012, 04:02:11 am

Title: RIP Earl Scruggs
Post by: AugustWest on March 29, 2012, 04:02:11 am
Guy was pretty much the Jimi Hendrix or the Charlie Parker of the banjo. (http://blogs.tennessean.com/tunein/2012/03/28/earl-scruggs-country-music-hall-of-famer-dies-at-age-88/)
Title: Re: RIP Earl Scruggs
Post by: theinevitable on March 29, 2012, 06:17:01 am
Quote
Fiddler John Hartman, quoted in Barry R. Willis' "America's Music: Bluegrass," summed it up this way: "Everybody's all worried about who invented the style and it's obvious that three-finger banjo pickers have been around a long time -- maybe since 1840. But my feeling about it is that if it wasn't for Earl Scruggs, you wouldn't be worried about who invented it."
Title: Re: RIP Earl Scruggs
Post by: pmcd9 on March 29, 2012, 02:04:29 pm
Waxahachie Nacodoches!

Midlothian to you too.
Title: Re: RIP Earl Scruggs
Post by: pmcd9 on March 29, 2012, 09:25:21 pm
I checked my iTunes and I only have the one Earl Scruggs song on there, but I do have a couple of Bill Monroe collections and there's bound to be some Scruggs in there.