The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: side_show on April 01, 2012, 09:48:15 pm

Title: April Fools' Day
Post by: side_show on April 01, 2012, 09:48:15 pm
I like and April Fools' Day prank now and then, especially on the net, where it's nice and harmless.

This year the greatest hit for me is Google Maps 8 Bit deal (http://maps.google.com/?t=8&utm_campaign=8bit)  I can go right down to street view and see my house in 8 Bit glory, and had some fun finding monsters and looking a world monuments this morning.

I also like this Ikea (http://i.imgur.com/hbmED.jpg) recall.

Apparently the BBC had an article about the world blowing up. (http://gothamist.com/2012/04/01/bbc_successfully_trolls_april_fools.php)

I liked this isoHunt (http://isohunt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635509) one from last year too.
Title: Re: April Fools' Day
Post by: CortJstr on April 02, 2012, 08:38:00 pm
I thought the Google Maps was slightly less awesome when I realized there was no way to interact with the monsters and such.

xkcd did a thing where the comic was different depending on your location/browser/ISP/referrer.
Title: Re: April Fools' Day
Post by: pmcd9 on April 03, 2012, 02:41:07 am
I didn't see any monsters.  Am I doing it wrong?
Title: Re: April Fools' Day
Post by: side_show on April 03, 2012, 02:52:15 am
There's a monster in the "wooded" area South West of Mt. Fuji that I found.  Hubby recognized it as being from some game.  I also found some other characters (not actually monsters) but I can't recall where.  I too was disappointed that you couldn't do anything with the monsters.
Title: Re: April Fools' Day
Post by: miles on April 03, 2012, 03:36:29 am
I still thought the 8-bit thing was really cool. Too cool for a prank because good pranks should fool people and not just be fun to play with. That didn't fool anybody.

This Oregon fan site got me with one of their fake headlines, about their brand new arena being declared structurally unsound. It was like the first thing I read in the morning and I was really tired, but it probably would have tricked me in a more alert state.
Title: Re: April Fools' Day
Post by: pmcd9 on April 03, 2012, 04:15:02 am
I did notice that they've updated their photo from in front of my house.  The artcar is in the picture now.  Now that the artcar lives somewhere else it's started showing up on Google maps.  Weird.  I wonder, if I bring the artcar back will it disappear from Google maps?
Title: Re: April Fools' Day
Post by: wombat on April 03, 2012, 01:51:24 pm
I am reading the reddit thread about the xkcd thing and it's brilliant. Except... that when I looked at the comic that day I had no idea other people were seeing different ones. It didn't seem that improbable that the comic happened to be about where I live.

So I guess the point was,  the joke was only for people who are so steeped in the Internet that they would eventually stumble over something like that reddit thread? Although I guess in some cases (the ones for particular companies) they would realize something was up right away.
Title: Re: April Fools' Day
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 03, 2012, 02:25:58 pm
link plz?
Title: Re: April Fools' Day
Post by: wombat on April 03, 2012, 02:30:46 pm
http://www.reddit.com/r/comics/comments/rnpiw/mindboggling_xkcd_april_fools_comic/ (http://www.reddit.com/r/comics/comments/rnpiw/mindboggling_xkcd_april_fools_comic/)
Title: Re: April Fools' Day
Post by: wombat on April 03, 2012, 02:32:30 pm
If you scroll down someone has collected them all in one comment but I don't know how to link directly to that comment and I don't have time to figure it out right now.
Title: Re: April Fools' Day
Post by: CortJstr on April 03, 2012, 07:56:24 pm
I am reading the reddit thread about the xkcd thing and it's brilliant. Except... that when I looked at the comic that day I had no idea other people were seeing different ones. It didn't seem that improbable that the comic happened to be about where I live.

So I guess the point was,  the joke was only for people who are so steeped in the Internet that they would eventually stumble over something like that reddit thread? Although I guess in some cases (the ones for particular companies) they would realize something was up right away.

I'm guessing the percentage of "people who read xkcd but not reddit" is way lower than for most other places.

Paul, check here: http://g.co/maps/64rzr
Title: Re: April Fools' Day
Post by: miles on April 04, 2012, 05:40:52 am
So I guess the point was,  the joke was only for people who are so steeped in the Internet that they would eventually stumble over something like that reddit thread? Although I guess in some cases (the ones for particular companies) they would realize something was up right away.

I assumed every comic has its own TOUAMB and that the members were confused because they weren't getting the references in other posts.