The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: AlohaDawg on January 10, 2004, 01:57:01 am
-
As many of you know, over the holidays while we were on the mainland, the savages were in our house, helping themselves to our liquor, downloading porn (and not even good porn) to my computer, and taking a lot of our stuff that, although not priceless was in some cases meaningul.
Yesterday we got our tent back. They didn't arrest the guy that was living in it, though. Another story for another time. At least they seem to have leads.
I should get on topic here, so here it goes: We lost all our CDs. Except Christmas and Classical ones. So rather than sob uncontrollably at the prospect of replacing hundreds of CDs, I would rather build a worthy collection of great, diverse, occasionally obscure and always listenable music spanning at least this and the previous five decades, and where notable, really influential masters. This includes (but is not limited to) roots music, Blues, Jazz, Folk, and all flavors of Rock, R and B, Rap, Punk and Alternative. The only music I am not interested in is that sort put out by hate groups, Country from the 70s and after (Johnny Cash excluded) (I like Country from the 90s and on but not for this 'project'), show tunes, and crap like Philip Glass does. And no pure vocalists (Stresiand, Charlotte Church, Etc) or Atmospheric music like Yanni or Vangelis. (although Heaven and Hell is pretty cool).
This forum offers the greatest gamut of lifestyles/personalities/personas (Where else can I find JLDunston, PMcD9, Andalucia, Jough, Slink and Wombat in the same room??) and so I am counting on all of you to help me out by building, first virtually and then in reality, a somewhat definitive CD collection for the year 2004. I Figure 300 should be a good number to start with: what 300 CDs MUST I have to be a well rounded, musically hip, decent human being with the resources to make a decent mix on demand?
Thanks for helping out!
-
This is an interesting challenge. Let me throw in a few off the top of my head:
Moxy Fruvous -- You Will Go To the Moon
(Any of their CDs are good, but Moon is indispensable.)
R.E.M. -- New Adventures in Hi-Fi, Document, Automatic For the People, and Life's Rich Pageant, with Out Of Time as a runner-up
(Once again, virtually anything is good, but this is what you need.)
Steve Burns, Songs For Dustmites
As for the poll, the "suspension by testicles" idea is sound, but why damage the Fender?
-
Oh, my. What an interesting question. I'm a big fan of "Greatest Hits" compilations, because they provide a nice sampling of an artist or band for minimal investment. Some scoff at my collection because it does include so many such discs, but it suits me well, as there are few bands about which I am obsessive enough to care about discography.
CDs I couldn't comfortably live without:
Led Zeppelin, Boxed set. (The 4 disk.) It covers pretty much everything you've already heard from them, and some more obscure favorites. The only Zeppelin you need in your collection, unless you're a Zep Phreak like me.
Rush: Retrospective I and II. Mostly radio songs, but you simply can't get enough of Peart's drumming. While their later stuff is much mellower and most of their truly experimental stuff is left off of the Retrospectives, these albums get much more playtime in my rotation than does, for instance, 2112.
The Baddest of George Thorogood. Good, hard-rockin' drinkin' music.
Heart: Greatest Hits (not"These Dreams") Nancy Wilson: The Most Kick-Ass Female Guitarist Ever, and my personal hero. And no, dammit, they're not lesbians.
AC/DC: Highway to Hell. Not a greatest hits album, but it may as well be. Plus, it includes my personal favorite AC/DC song, "Girl's Got Rhythm."
The Eagles: Their Greatest Hits. Pretty much everything you'd want to hear by the Eagles, except Hotel California. That's why you'd want to pick up the second disk later, or buy the single song off iTunes or something. Also includes Take it To the Limit, which has the second-longest fadeout in the world (right after Hey Jude).
The Doors: Greatest Hits. In case you ever find a baggie of weed by the side of the road. Also: Pink Floyd: The Wall
Mark Knopfler: Sailing to Philadelphia. Much more mature, musically, than his work with Dire Straits; one of the best albums I own from a techinical standpoint. Knopfler is one of the greats as a guitarist, but he's often underrated. This album is a series of snapshots of American life; odd for a Brit to put together something like that, but Knopfler does so with a sense of truth and beauty that only an outsider could bring.
Pearl Jam: vs. A classic in its own time, angry flannel-wearing grunge rock reaches a new high -- or a new low, depending how old you where in 1992.
Smashing Pumpkins: Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. Who can forget?
Steve Miller Band: Greatest Hits. For when you're having a party, and you invited people with wide and varied musical tastes. See also: Jimmy Buffet.
They Might Be Giants: Flood. Because you can't be around this message board for long without gettin' a little Dork on you.
Various Artists: Closer than a Kiss. For romantic evenings with the Wife. Gorgeous jazzy ballads by famous crooners: Sinatra, Torme, Damone, Hibbler -- just beautiful. Hey, even r0kR ch1X gotta be mellow sometimes.
-
Because you can't be around this message board for long without gettin' a little Dork on you.
I don't think you can be around any message board, anytime without already having a substantial portion of Dork on you.
-
Oh, right, TMBG! I was lukewarm about whether to include them, but yes, everyone needs at least one They Might Be Giants album. John Henry is at times uneven but is generally lovely -- honestly, you can't go wrong. The material is diverse but equally satisfying throughout their career.
-
I can't really give you a proper listing, since I lost most of my music (twice) and haven't replaced it all yet. That and my memory being so bad that I can't remember what I lost....
Alice in Chains Unplugged - And everyone raved about the Nirvana one...
Bruce Springsteen - Asbury Park - Much as I hate The Boss I have to rate this album.
Desorden Republico - (eponymous) - New discovery courtesy of my brother who can afford to buy random new thngs... Venezuelan ska. Excellent with it.
Eagles of Death Metal - 'Bluegrass strip music with Canned Heat vocals' - comes out in a month or two, and goddamn is it good!
Mark Lanegan - Here Comes That Weird Chill EP, and Bubblegum (rel Jan/Feb) - We had all the folk/grunge stuff, now we're onto, well... it's just about the best fuck*ng music anyone who speaks English has made any time in the last ten years.
Faith No More - Angel Dust - Truly seminal rock album.
Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters - Well.. I mean come on! (and for that matter you ought to already know to be getting some Miles Davis and...
Tom Waits - Nighthawks at the Diner - Wow. One thing I can truly say I wish I was there for.
Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking - Again...
Morphine - Cure For Pain - Damn, they're just getting too good!
Pixies - Doolittle - Ditto...
Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley - Not enough people rate this as nearly as seminal as it so is!
Sublime - (eponymous) - Truly fantastic album, although the sadness of Knowles dying of something so bizarre (for someone who comes across the way he does) as skag is a little depressing on occasion... Poor Lou Dog.
The Mars Volta - De-loused in the Comatorium - May not be to everyone's taste, but it's a superb album, with some incredible work, and phenominally proficient musicianship.
Thee Michelle Gun Elephant - Sabrina Heaven - Worth importing from Japan, the mix of Jazz/rock/blues/ska and a fantastic voice is stunning.
Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra - Skapara Toujou - Wow. Just read the name again!
Violent Femmes - (eponymous) - Superb album. And that bass riff in Please Do not Go... woah!
The Gordon Gano solo album with Cale and Reed and Harvey and people - excellent album!
Tweaker - The Attraction to All Things Uncertain - NIN's ex drummer, and the producer behind Sublime and many other fantastic things... Excellent album.
Queens of the Stone Age - the three albums
Desert Sessions - especially 9&10 which is fuck*ng astounding
Brant Bjork - ex Kyuss/QOTSA/Fu Manchu - really grown on me
Masters of Reality - the most unhip rock music I can imagine. And it's fuck*ng superb!
Orquesta Del Desierto - see above...
Gotan Project - Has to be owned...
OK, that ought to do. That's a list of the things I have here that you really can't be without! I grouped the final bunch of desert things together, because with the excpetion of Desert Sessions 9&10 (which you ought to like dagnabbit) if you like one of them, you will like the others.
Most of the stuff I lost and thus can't list is the pre 1990 stuff. I lost all my classic rock, which would list Led Zeppelin 2/4. King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black. Captain Beefheart, Frank Zappa... And erm, yea...
Oh - Fugazi - 13 songs is on the list, as well as Husker Du - Zen Arcade for some punk representation.
(note : Oh dear. I could have made this list about three times longer, if not more. Everything I own is worthy of this list given that if I don't listen to something I get rid of it. I have a folder for stuff that I use one track of in mixes, but all my artist/album folders are priceless to me.
The moral of the story: Don't get me started on music - 'tis all I want to do . With every psasing day everything else goes out the window...)
-
Heart: Greatest Hits (not"These Dreams") Nancy Wilson: The Most Kick-Ass Female Guitarist Ever, and my personal hero.
Would you perchance have around a track Layne Staley did with them? If so I'll pay you for a copy of it! (mp3 would do amply).
Also, I wouldn't put Mellon Collie on my list. If I were to put any Pumpkins on (which I probably wouldn't) it would be between Gish and Siamese Dream. Corgan got carried so far downstream by his own pretentions with Mellon Collie (which could have made a fantastic single disc) that I only listen to one track off it - Jellybelly which despite it's STUPID name is a superb track.
*AHEM* I'm now going to ban myself for writing this much in The Conservatory! Dang.
-
TMBG - Flood. As a fan I might prefer other favorites but this is their definitive album and the by far the most popular. Or Dial-A-Song (greatest hits)
I'd go for Death to the Pixies as you get the live CD as well.
Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill. Duh
Soul Coughing - Irresistable Bliss. But only because I have to pick just one.
Barenaked Ladies - Stunt. Or Gordon if you don't want to go with live stuff.
Kelly Bell Band - Ain't Like it Used To Be. Trust me on this one. It's great rocking blues.
Reel Big giraffe - Turn the Radio Off. Just fun.
Weezer - Blue Album. [...]
Rage Against the Machine - self-titled. I guess this is a love/hate thing though.
-
Rage Against the Machine - self-titled. I guess this is a love/hate thing though.
Oughtn't be, but then, what isn't?
Should have been on my list, but I lost my copy and thus forgot about it.
I'd also add Deftones - Around the Fur, which is very much love/hate, but I think a very original album, and damn good.
-
Rage is easier to hate because of the nature of their lyrics. If you disagree with their politics it's hard to like the band, even if you otherwise like that style of music.
Which reminds me (I'm not sure how): Saturdaynight Fever soundtrack. And Forrest Gump.
-
Would you perchance have around a track Layne Staley did with them? If so I'll pay you for a copy of it! (mp3 would do amply).
Also, I wouldn't put Mellon Collie on my list. If I were to put any Pumpkins on (which I probably wouldn't) it would be between Gish and Siamese Dream. Corgan got carried so far downstream by his own pretentions with Mellon Collie (which could have made a fantastic single disc) that I only listen to one track off it - Jellybelly which despite it's STUPID name is a superb track.
Amazing. I was driving home tonight, listening to siamese dream, and thinking even if you took the best 13 songs from Mellon Collie you'd still have an album nowhere near as good as its predecessor.
The song you're thinking of is from AiC's Sap EP. Send me your email address and I'll mp3 it to you.
-
Oh, and some suggestions for AlohaDawg:
Elvis Presley: The Sun Sessions
Little Richard: any of the Specialty greatest hits discs
Chuck Berry: The Great 28
The Buddy Holly Story
The Beatles: any studio album
The Rolling Stones: Beggar’s Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main St.
The Who Sell Out ( expanded CD version )
The Zombies: Odessey and Oracle
The Velvet Underground: any of the 4 studio albums
Jimi Hendrix: Axis Bold As Love
Led Zeppelin: take your pick
Neil Young: After the Gold Rush, Live Rust, Harvest, Decade
David Bowie: “Heroes”
Elton John: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Funkadelic: Maggot Brain, Standing on the Verge…
James Brown: Star Time (box), Love Power Peace
The Essential Sly and the Family Stone
Prince: Sign O’ the Times
Peter Gabriel: Passion
Mahavishnu Orchestra: The Inner Mounting Flame
King Crimson: Starless and Bible Black, Discipline
Rush: Retrospective II
Brian Eno: Here Come the Warm Jets, Music for Airports, Apollo
Harold Budd and Brian Eno: The Pearl
Steve Tibbetts: YR, Safe Journey, The Fall of Us All
Iggy and the Stooges: Fun House, Raw Power
Smashing Pumpkins: Gish, Siamese Dream
Nirvana: Nevermind, MTV Unplugged
Posies: Frosting on the Beater, Amazing Disgrace
Pixies: Surfer Rosa, Trompe Le Monde
Catherine Wheel: Chrome, Adam and Eve
Jeff Buckley: Grace
Guided By Voices: Alien Lanes
Flaming Lips: Transmissions from the Satellite Heart, Soft Bulletin
R.E.M.: Murmur, Reckoning, Automatic for the People, Up
The Replacements: Let It Be
Husker Du: New Day Rising
Buddy Guy: Sweet Tea
Junior Wells and Buddy Guy: Hoodoo Man Blues
Robert Cray: Bad Influence
The Essential Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble
B.B. King Live at Cook County Jail
Albert King: King of the Blues Guitar
Robert Johnson: Complete Recordings
Blind Willie McTell: anthology, forgot the title
The Essential Bessie Smith
Miles Davis: Kind of Blue, In A Silent Way, Panthalassa
Cannonball Adderly: Somethin’ Else
John Coltrane: Giant Steps, A Love Supreme, The Very Best of John Coltrane
The Lester Young Story
Charlie Parker: Boss Bird
Charlie Christian: Solo Flight
Duke Ellington: The OKeh Ellington, Ellington Indigo
Michael Hedges: Aerial Boundaries
Leo Kottke: 6 and 12 String Guitar
Cyril Pahinui and Bob Brozman: Four Hands Hot and Sweet
Fela Kuti: Expensive Shit, He Miss Road, The Best Best of Fela Kuti
Bob Marley and the Wailers Live
Various reggae artists: Groove Yard
Johnny Cash Live at Folsom Prison
The Patsy Cline Story
Hank Williams: 40 Greatest Hits
Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band: Doc At the Radar Station
The Shaggs
Robert Rich & Lustmord: Stalker
Beastie Boys: Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head
Public Enemy: It Takes A Nation..., Apocalypse 91
Slayer: Reign in Blood
Metallica: Master of Puppets
That should do for a start.
-
I should get on topic here, so here it goes: We lost all our CDs. Except Christmas and Classical ones. So rather than sob uncontrollably at the prospect of replacing hundreds of CDs, I would rather build a worthy collection of great, diverse, occasionally obscure and always listenable music spanning at least this and the previous five decades, and where notable, really influential masters. This includes (but is not limited to) roots music, Blues, Jazz, Folk, and all flavors of Rock, R and B, Rap, Punk and Alternative. The only music I am not interested in is that sort put out by hate groups, Country from the 70s and after (Johnny Cash excluded) (I like Country from the 90s and on but not for this 'project'), show tunes, and crap like Philip Glass does. And no pure vocalists (Stresiand, Charlotte Church, Etc) or Atmospheric music like Yanni or Vangelis. (although Heaven and Hell is pretty cool).
This forum offers the greatest gamut of lifestyles/personalities/personas (Where else can I find JLDunston, PMcD9, Andalucia, Jough, Slink and Wombat in the same room??) and so I am counting on all of you to help me out by building, first virtually and then in reality, a somewhat definitive CD collection for the year 2004. I Figure 300 should be a good number to start with: what 300 CDs MUST I have to be a well rounded, musically hip, decent human being with the resources to make a decent mix on demand?
Thanks for helping out!
If I were to lose my entire music collection I would be devastated. I really feel for you Dawg. It was sickening enough to hear about that guitar, but this is even worse in my opinion. And I know you would never do this so i'll do it for you. Dawg doesn't need advice on essential records, he knows what rocks. What he needs is his friends here to burn some disc for him. I pledge 10 disc.
Here's my list of essentials*, pick 10.
The Beatles- White Album, Abbey Road
Zep- Boxed Set
Who's Next
Todd- Something/Anything
AiC - Dirt
AC/DC- Let there Be Rock
Boys - Pet Sounds, Greatest Hits
BS - Masters of Reality, Heaven and Hell
D and the D - Layla
Jimi - Ladyland, First Rays
LA Woman
GnR - Appetite
B B - Cook County Jail, Live at the Regal
Skynyrd - Gold and Platinum
Band on the Run
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Nirvana - Nevermind
Queen - A Day, A Night
OK Computer
RHCP - BSSM
RS - Beggers, Exile, Let it Bleed
Paul Simon - Bridge, Rhymin' Simon
SP - Mellon Collie, Siamese Dream
Steely Dan - Countdown, Aja
Van Halen, Woman and Children
Weird Al in 3D
Neil Young - Decade
Zappa in New York, Were Only in it for the Money
Big Star - #1 Record/Radio City
*of what I have
~Paul
-
Apparently I'm a little late in jumping on this bandwagon and a lot of great suggestions have already been made... I thought CortJ's comment about Rage was interesting, since I've always wanted to like them, since they have some quite good politics, but I think their particular style of music is lamelamelame.
However, here's my list. The length of everyone else's makes me feel a little better, as does the prior knowledge that I'm not by any means the only music geek around.... Sorry about the idiotic little reviews.:
For Indie Cred:
Cat Power, Moon Pix:
Lots of critical acclaim, if that means anything, simple arrangements, a nice voice.
Frank Black & the Catholics, Dog in the Sand:
Frank Black/Black Francis has an uncanny gift for writing catchy rock songs that I would suggest evidences a soul-selling
Jim O'Rourke, Eureka:
Also, it is not on this album, but you should listen to his cover of the Velvet Underground's 'Venus in Furs'
Yo La Tengo, I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One or And then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out:
Yo La Tengo have a great gift for vascillating between utter popiness (cf. the covers they've done, i.e. 'Little Honda') and nifty experimentalism.
Kings of Conveniece, eponymous:
Good low-key melodic indieage
Low, Things We Lost in the Fire:
"Slowcore"- takes getting used to, but very pretty and so on.
Luna, Romantica:
Excellent guitar-strong folk-influenced indie
Magnetic Fields, 69 Love Songs (esp. Vol.1):
The singer cites his major influence as ABBA, but don't let that scare you, since he has a great voice and good lyrics.
Mary Lou Lord, Got No Shadow:
Arguably got famous for having slept with Kurt Cobain, but she has nice folky acoustic etc.
Neil Halstead, Sleeping on Roads:
He's from the band Mojave 3, and this album is very sleepy and nice, but with strong rhythms.
Neutral Milk Hotel, In an Aeroplane Over the Sea:
Weird noisy catchy songs.
Robyn Hitchcock, Globe of Frogs:
Singer of the Soft Boys, makes interesting surreal pop music.
Rufus Wainwright, eponymous:
Louden(sp?)'s son, somewhat bombastic but fun
Sleater-Kinney, All Hands on the Bad One:
They were that band before the Strokes who were also gonna save rock music for us.
Songs: Ohia, Magnolia Electric Co.:
Weird, "cathartic", simple songs
Sonic Youth, Murray St. or Sister:
Murray Street is a little more stonerish (cf very long solos), Sister's a little faster and weirder, with good Philip K. Dick allusions.
Spoon, Girls Can Tell:
Very "tight" rock.
Decemberists, Castaways and Cutouts:
Singer's voice takes getting used to, but fun and novel.
They Might Be Giants, eponymous or Flood:
Enough's been said about 'em here already...
Wilco, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot:
One of those albums I refused to listen to for a while because the praise for it was so ridiculously unanimous, but it really really deserves it.
"Classics":
Pixies, Surfer Rosa/Come on Pilgrim
Velvet Underground, White Light/White Heat
Big Star, #1 Record/Radio City
Soft Boys, Underwater Moonlight
Stooges, Raw Power
Television, Marquee Moon
Patti Smith, hosss
R.E.M., New Adventures in Hi-Fi
Folk/Blues/Jazz:
Tom Waits, Rain Dogs or Bone Machine
Bob Dylan, Blonde on Blonde and/or Blood on the Tracks
John Zorn, Naked City
Sun Ra, Atlantis
Nick Drake, Five Leaves Left
Any "Best-of" type deals of Robert Johnson, Son House, Skip James, or Leadbelly
P.S. Your categorisation of Philip Glass as "crap" brought a single tear to my eye. Have you seen Koyaanisqaatsi?
-
I don't have time to put together a substantial list right now, but you absolutely must have Marvin Gaye's What's Going On. Preferably the recent two-CD reissue with a live disc.
-
Sublime - Sublime
-
...I'll mp3 it to you.
That's my first sighting of mp3 as a verb.
Ahem.
Vince Guaraldi, et al: Happy Anniversary, Charlie Brown
The Beatles: Rubber Soul
The Bee-Gees, et al: Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack (laugh all you want, it's great)
Blondie: Best of Blondie
Aerosmith: Pump
Ice T: Cop Killer (or is it Cop Killa?)
Creedence Clearwater Revival: Chronicle
india.arie: Voyage to India (lesser-known, but great later album)
Jacko: Thriller (yes, but even so, you can't have a collection without it)
Esquivel: Space-Age Bachelor Pad Music
Crosby, Stills, Nash (, Young?): So Far
Pretty much everything else has been said.
Oh, and if you're going to get any Jimmy Buffet, get Songs You Know by Heart and skip all the rest.
-
Dawg doesn't need advice on essential records, he knows what rocks. What he needs is his friends here to burn some disc for him. I pledge 10 disc.
~Paul
I agree, and have already pledged him ten of mine. If we can get another coupla folks to pony up, we could fill the gap by a substantial margin. Who's game?
-
...I'll mp3 it to you.
That's my first sighting of mp3 as a verb.
Ahem.
Yeah, I tend to invent new words when I'm sleep-deprivationated.
-
Dawg doesn't need advice on essential records, he knows what rocks. What he needs is his friends here to burn some disc for him. I pledge 10 disc.
~Paul
I agree, and have already pledged him ten of mine. If we can get another coupla folks to pony up, we could fill the gap by a substantial margin. Who's game?
Agreed, agreed. I pledge the albums I mentioned above, except for Closer Than A Kiss, which is scratched and nigh-unplayable. Instead, I will substitute a mix disk of my own choosing (not the same one everyone else is getting, as there would be substantial overlap). I think that's 17, if I'm counting correctly.
Edit: How 'bout we get that address, Dawg?
-
I left off of my essential list
Robert Johnson King of the Delta Blues*
Muddy - Hard Again
American Graffiti ST (Killer collection of early RnR)
*if Robert Johnson isn't essential, nothing is.
Dawg, you should make a wishlist. I've listed my essentials, but what is important is your essentials.
~Paul
-
I'm in the process of converting my CDs to mp3 - all of them - and selling off the CDs or giving them away.
My 7,500 is now down to only about 300 *essential* discs that I'm not sure I can part with, but if you PM me with your address I'm sure I could find a few to donate to the cause.
-
P.S. Your categorisation of Philip Glass as "crap" brought a single tear to my eye. Have you seen Koyaanisqaatsi?
I did see it; moving piece of film and the imagery makes the music good.
Koyanniisqatsi, Powaqqatsi, Naqoyqatsi benefit from Philip Glass scoring because of the power of the imagery. Atonal music and imagery presented in that way are kind of symbiotic. Best use of Philip Glass' atonal music in my opinion, Atonal music and non-story driven film. I know several people who think he is awesome but I think it sounds kind of like noise. One of them is a well respected music professor at Loyola in Chicago so I should let him tell me more about it.
When pretty girls cry everyone around feels pain so I'll withdraw the descriptive "crap" (also because the films are quite good) and leave it at that.
I LOVE this list by the way! It is SO interesting to get a glimpse inside the heads of so many of you through your music preferences. They are all awesome. And it's cool to read t he lists and nod to yourself and say, "OH yeah, can NOT forget that one".
And the generosity of you guys is overwhelming! Mybe you can each post what you would be sending and I'll send the address to each of you individually (I don't want to post it).
Thanks all!
-
And the generosity of you guys is overwhelming! Mybe you can each post what you would be sending and I'll send the address to each of you individually (I don't want to post it).
No, no, no, you must choose the music. Otherwise you might get 5 copies of Robert Johnson as theres a lot of overlap on these list. Peruse the list and decide what you want from each of us and drop a PM with the list and the address.
Also post a wishlist. There's likely some must have items that we possess, but haven't listed.
~Paul
-
And the generosity of you guys is overwhelming! Mybe you can each post what you would be sending and I'll send the address to each of you individually (I don't want to post it).
No, no, no, you must choose the music. Otherwise you might get 5 copies of Robert Johnson as theres a lot of overlap on these list. Peruse the list and decide what you want from each of us and drop a PM with the list and the address.
Also post a wishlist. There's likely some must have items that we possess, but haven't listed.
~Paul
What he said.
-
I'd be in for sending copies of any discs off my list that you covet, just PM me the address and the wishlist.
-
Well, given that all my music is as mp3 I could easily send you upwards of 700 minutes per disc. Depends on how useful mp3's are to you?
But I would be more than happy to send you some tuff as mp3 or CDDA.
Check my list over and send me a list of stuff and your address if you want any Dawg.
-
Oh, yeah -- if you want it, I have it, and nobody else has gotten it, I'll burn and send it no problem. Also, if we're talking about burning CDs, I have another recommendation -- a mix-CD or mp3-CD of Raised By Wolves (http://www.raisedbywolvesmusic.com) songs. I will cheerfully make this and send if desired.
Looking through my CD collection, I've pulled out three more candidates:
Cake -- Prolonging the Magic and Comfort Eagle
(Fashion Nugget and Motorcade of Generosity are also recommended but not required.)
Thomas Dolby -- Golden Age of Wireless, Astronauts and Heretics, and Retrospectacle
(If you can only get one, get Retrospectacle, but the other two have essential tracks not on Retro.)
-
Cake -- Prolonging the Magic and Comfort Eagle
Especially Prolonging the Magic. Satan is my Motor baby.
~Paul
-
Cake -- Prolonging the Magic and Comfort Eagle
Especially Prolonging the Magic. Satan is my Motor baby.
~Paul
Cool Blue Reason. If Cake had never recorded anything beyond "Cool Blue Reason," their careers would have been entirely worthwhile.
-
So many great suggestions on the other lists, but here's a few more (no duplicates I hope):
Art of Noise - (Who's Afraid of?) The Art of Noise!
Dave Brubeck - Time Out
Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas, Treeasure or Bule Bell Knoll
Concrete Blonde - Bloodletting
Elvis Costello and the Attractions (take your pick)
The Cramps - Psychedelic Jungle/Gravest Hits
The Cure - Staring at the Sea - The Singles
Depeche Mode - Black Celebration or Music for the Masses
Echo and the Bunnymen - Songs to Learn and Sing
Everclear - World of Noise (or maybe Sparkle and Fade)
Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto - Getz / Gilberto
Green Day - Dookie
Joe Jackson - Look Sharp! or I'm The Man
Joy Division - Substance or Unknown Pleasures
Luna - Bewitched
Mazzy Star - She Hangs Brightly or So Tonight That I Might See
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - More Noise & Other Disturbances
Ministry - The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
New Order - Substance
Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine
Oingo Boingo - Boingo Alive
Orb - The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld
Orbital - S/T or In Sides
Pet Shop Boys - Discography
Portishead - Dummy
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Twice Upon a Time - The Singles
The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
The Specials - S/T
Talking Heads - Sand in the Vaseline
The The - Dusk
A Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels...
Underworld - Second Toughest in the Infants
VA - The Funky 16 Corners
And probably a bunch more I can't think of right now.
-
Aloha: I'm up for sending copies of CDs, not the CDs themselves. Also, you will get a lot more music if I fill the discs with mp3s, but do youwant that, or just the audio CDs?
And do you want to specify from our lists, or just get surprised?
-
I'm so glad to see so much of the artist list I started listed here!
Mighty Mighty Bosstones was one for sure.
I am looking over all the info posted so far, and then I'll be posting a wish list. I'll send a mailing address to each person posting in this forum.
I am not sure about the MP3 issue; I realize I could get a hundred times more songs on a disk and having the songs is important too, but it makes the process harder than selecting a given CD of an artist to copy for me plus I don't have a device to play MP3's on besides the computer (yet).
We (Elinor) and I are getting a huge emotional boost out of your great lists and your generosity! I'll be posting a wish list soon. Thanks!
-
Re: Cake - I find it impossible to choose a favourite album. They are all so good, and all have something about them that I dig so much.
I would think in some ways that Fashion Nugget would have to be the one, since Frank Sinatra is a stunning track, as is Daria and Open Book, and it being the first album I got by them about 9 years back, but then Prolonging the Magic (Satan..., Sheep... and Cool Blue Reason... goddamn they're good) and Comfort Eagle both try to top it. Damn.
Cake rule.
I so nearly got to go see them.
Anyway, yes. I'd also add Ministry - Psalm 69 and Nine Inch Nails entire catalogue, minus Deep from the Tomb Raider soundtrack.
-
Damn.
Cake rule.
I so nearly got to go see them.
Does my seeing Cake perform at all make up for missing QOTSA with Mark Lanagen and Dave Grohl? FWIW they were killer.
~Paul
-
Does my seeing Cake perform at all make up for missing QOTSA with Mark Lanagen and Dave Grohl? FWIW they were killer.
~Paul
Not quite no. Given that I think Cake rule, but that Josh Homme is like the closest thing I can find to a musical god, and the addition of Dave Grohl only goes to add to the oomph (not that he's a musical genius or god, just that he's possible rocks finest drummer).
-
I am too totally uncool to contribute to these lists - I weep with frustration that there is even a Talking Heads mentioned that I haven't heard of (I thought I was paying attention in those days), on top of whole unrecognizable artists. But I think I have a few not too boring things I could send, if you send me your address.
-
Wombat, you've pretty much summed up my feelings herein. I don't know how I could comment without coming across as totally outdated and non-rad.
Also, I think that the Talking Heads album mentioned is a greatest hits, is it not?
-
Also, I think that the Talking Heads album mentioned is a greatest hits, is it not?
Yeah, it is. Honestly, I think I meant to say "Stop Making Sense", but oh well. I forgot a bunch of stuff from my list anyway (Patsy Cline, Simon & Garfunkel, Harry Bellafonte...), so pay no mind.
-
Oh, August, can we be non-rad together? Then it would all be OK. Sigh.
I feel better about the Talking Heads now, thanks guys.
I have been meaning to say, the problem with option 1 of the poll is, doesn't the main culprit have no testicles?
-
Oh, August, can we be non-rad together? Then it would all be OK. Sigh.
I feel better about the Talking Heads now, thanks guys.
I have been meaning to say, the problem with option 1 of the poll is, doesn't the main culprit have no testicles?
Ovaries?
-
Ovaries?
Adds some logistical difficulty s'far as string-hanging's concerned. Hmmm...
-
Figurative Testicles.
But, also, the person RESPONSIBLE for the thievery is female but the thieves were let in/put up by her in our house and several them do, in fact, have testicles.
We could thread some piano wire on a needle, run it back and forth through the nipples a few times and hang 'em up if that will make people satisfied with the punishment.
Also, because of the credit card theft and theft of personal information, we have a temporary mailbox at one of those mailbox places.
For those of you who are wanting to send things now (I have got some e-mails) you can send them to:
Jason Nehal
305 Hahani Street, Box 224
Kailua HI
96734
Any lurkers excited about knowing where I live should understand that this is not where we live and the owners of this shop are very good friends of ours, so any funny business may be met by harsh language and/or gunfire.
I can't say enough about the generosity and good will of you folks.
Thanks.
Edited to add my name to the address. Now you know my name! That feels a little weird but not really. If Google reveals anything interesting, let me know.
J
-
So, wishlist(s) forthcoming, or are you just going to rely on our good taste?
-
Wishlists are on their way: the Logical thing seems to be to pick from each of your lists but I'll need to more carefully read through all posts and this weekend we spent deodorising the house and steam cleaning all applicable surfaces. About 6 homeless people (drug addict variant) were crashing up in here, drinkin' all my liquor and ashing wall to wall in accordance with the formerly beige, now kind of grey and beige, carpet). It's nasty.
Savages.
But I WILL be shortly getting to each and all of you with selections.
Thanks again!
-
Shit, man...
I can honestly say, given the hell you guys appear to be in, no rush on the wishlist front.
It's not like time is going to make all that much difference, unless Hawaii forms an apartheid, goes to war with the US, and naturally that means Blair pulling Britain into it, and thusly the postal service between the UK and Hawaii falling apart. But somehow I doubt it.
So, no rush. (I need to buy more CD-R's anyway!)
-
It occurs to me that we may have just proven that people you meet on the internet are nicer than people you meet at church.
-
I am often treated better by internet people than I am by my own family.
-
It occurs to me that we may have just proven that people you meet on the internet are nicer than people you meet at church.
Is this likely to be a surprise to anyone?
I mean, the idea that people on the internet are nice is, but this is compared to church.
I only know one person who goes to church who is nice, and that doesn't mean she doesn't try to change the fact that I don't...
-
To be fair, this only proves that Internet people are nicer than church people in areas related to CD distribution. But the comparison still stands.
-
Unless we're all just being played, like when that Everquest chick pretended to die. ::eyes AD suspiciously::
-
I couldn't make this up of I wanted to. I realize my credibility has neither been proven nor disproven - hand delivered CDs, though, get their deliverer a free place to stay, some home cooked meals and proximity to some awesome beaches. I can do this with confidence now, since I don't know what is left for anyone to steal. So bring your music and head on over, it's Gidget Goes to Hawaii if the Dunstons come out and I know a moondoggy guy who surfs under the full moon at Waikiki. He says he can see his shadow on the bottom. Cool, no?
-
alright, so we're just picking ten, burning them and sending them off? that OK?
-
There seems to be more drive for me to pick, but if you want to pick ten and send them off, that would be great with me - just post which ten you are sending off to help prevent an awkward pileup of duplicate Blind Willie Jefferson CDs in the mailbox.
(Edit: That's Blind Willie Johnson. It's Blind Lemon Jefferson.)
And thanks in advance to all contributors. Today's newsflash: expect as many as 4 arrests this week and the hopefully fruitful search of a storage unit. (I will let you all know if CDs are returned, although it seems rather doubtful)
Stay tuned; there are a million stories in the naked city.
-
alright, so we're just picking ten, burning them and sending them off? that OK?
Why the fuck did I even post that? What am I, in a hurry? Sheesh.
Pick whatever you want off my list when you have the time.
In the meantime, I've burned the following for you:
The Who Sell Out
James Brown, Love Power Peace
Steve Tibbetts, YR and Safe Journey
Albert King: King of the Blues Guitar
The Very Best of John Coltrane
Fela: Expensive Shit/He Miss Road
Funkadelic: Maggot Brain
Beastie Boys: Paul's Boutique
Catherine Wheel: Adam and Eve
Big Star: first two albums
I've got another 20 blank CDs sitting here doing nothing, so just pick whatever else you need and I'll get on it.
-
To be fair, this only proves that Internet people are nicer than church people in areas related to CD distribution. But the comparison still stands.
I go to church. I think I'm nice anyway, though.
-
I go to church. I think I'm nice anyway, though.
But we didn't MEET you in church, so if I'm nitpicky enough about it, my original post still stands.
-
(Edit: That's Blind Willie Johnson. It's Blind Lemon Jefferson.)
Are you sure you don't mean Blind Willie McTell?
-
In the meantime, I've burned the following for you:
The Who Sell Out
James Brown, Love Power Peace
Steve Tibbetts, YR and Safe Journey
Albert King: King of the Blues Guitar
The Very Best of John Coltrane
Fela: Expensive Shit/He Miss Road
Funkadelic: Maggot Brain
Beastie Boys: Paul's Boutique
Catherine Wheel: Adam and Eve
Big Star: first two albums
I've got another 20 blank CDs sitting here doing nothing, so just pick whatever else you need and I'll get on it.
Hey WTF, you're getting all of the good ones. I get dibs on Robert Johnson.
~Paul
-
I've been drinking too much coffee, what can I say?
Robert Johnson's all yours.
-
(Edit: That's Blind Willie Johnson. It's Blind Lemon Jefferson.)
Are you sure you don't mean Blind Willie McTell?
It forces one to ponder just how many 'Blind' Bluesmen there have been.
I looked hium up. He looks just like the guitar player guy the soggy bottom boys meet up with in "O Brother, Where Art Thou?".
-
To be fair, this only proves that Internet people are nicer than church people in areas related to CD distribution. But the comparison still stands.
Add to this the over $1,000 in material and financial help (to cover the $800.00 credit card fraud), the purchase of new locks and doorknobs, food and general support and I'd say that, in their way, the good people of my Church are as "Hella Rad" as you all are (in their own, quiet, faithful way).
Also, the score is going up: Arrest number one has been made, number two should be this evening, number three anytime this week and the mysterious storage unit in the next town over has been sealed by the police and will be searched tomorrow morning. So things seem to be moving, more or less, along. Of course, the guitar has yet to be recovered, but we will see, won't we. They had to be using my truck to take the stuff someplace.
So I've marked those 10 off Limmos's suggestion list and I know Paul is sending Robert Johnson as well as what I choose from his list:
My 10 picks (and it was hard to not pick his whole list!)
Who's Next
Todd- Something/Anything
D and the D - Layla
Jimi - Ladyland
LA Woman
B B - Cook County Jail
RS - Let it Bleed
Zappa in New York, Were Only in it for the Money
Robert Johnson King of the Delta Blues*
American Graffiti ST (Killer collection of early RnR)
So I'm not sure at this point which of you are for sure pledging and how many you are pledging, so drop an e-mail or post and I'll reply with picks. I certainly appreciate the pledges and equally, the suggestions and insight you all have posted.
Thanks!
-
Add to this the over $1,000 in material and financial help (to cover the $800.00 credit card fraud), the purchase of new locks and doorknobs, food and general support and I'd say that, in their way, the good people of my Church are as "Hella Rad" as you all are (in their own, quiet, faithful way).
Wow, totally rad news. I'm glad to hear that everything's going well. (Or better, anyway...)
Anyway, I'll make... anything you want me to make, pretty much.
-
So I'm not sure at this point which of you are for sure pledging and how many you are pledging, so drop an e-mail or post and I'll reply with picks.
Definitely pledging, and well, probably ten, but I mean, if I happen to have more that you desperately need...
And likewise, if you pick ten and I see something I have to send too, then you'd get eleven.
-
And likewise, if you pick ten and I see something I have to send too, then you'd get eleven.
Same here. Pick ten and you'll get ten plus the previous items I mentioned. However, the window of opportunity has closed for the complimentary garlic crusher.
-
I pledge the disks I mentioned in the first post, however many that is. So nobody send him those. OR ELSE!!
-
I pledge the disks I mentioned in the first post, however many that is. So nobody send him those. OR ELSE!!
Good. You burn him the four Zep CDs, I'll burn him the two CDs from Box Two, and he'll have all the Zeppelin tracks on six CDs. Yay.
-
I pledge the disks I mentioned in the first post, however many that is. So nobody send him those. OR ELSE!!
Good. You burn him the four Zep CDs, I'll burn him the two CDs from Box Two, and he'll have all the Zeppelin tracks on six CDs. Yay.
And i'll burn How the West was Won. Hell Yeah!!!
~Paul
-
And i'll burn How the West was Won. Hell Yeah!!!
~Paul
WOOOHOOOO! This is gonna be the best theft-redressing Christmas ever!
Listening to Carlosdelvaca's CD right now. Catchy!
-
Led Zeppelin, Boxed set. (The 4 disk.)
Rush: Retrospective I and II.
The Baddest of George Thorogood.
Heart: Greatest Hits
AC/DC: Highway to Hell
The Eagles: Their Greatest Hits
The Doors: Greatest Hits
Pink Floyd: The Wall
Mark Knopfler: Sailing to Philadelphia
Pearl Jam: vs.
Smashing Pumpkins: Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Steve Miller Band: Greatest Hits
Jimmy Buffet.
They Might Be Giants: Flood
Various Artists: Closer than a Kiss. (ballads by famous crooners: Sinatra, Torme, Damone, Hibbler)
I went and found JL's list so we wouldn't have to all go searching for it.
~Paul
-
One of the things I like most about this is that I will be getting so much music that I would never have otherwise heard of, let alone listened to - this could start a one man music revolution in Hawaii, although some of the Japanese music Slink mentions is probably around this island somewhere.
I'm kind of excited.
-
We have a few doubles since my fiancee moved in. I'll try to see about gathering those up to send over.
-
Jimmy Buffet.
Various Artists: Closer than a Kiss.
I went and found JL's list so we wouldn't have to all go searching for it.
~Paul
Thanks, Paul. However, these two I can't do. I don't actually own anything by Buffet and Closer than a Kiss is scratched.
-
Tonight I'm backing up a bunch of MP3's I've recorded from vinyl and cassettes on CD's. I'm burning you a copy and will drop it in the mail shortly.
It's pretty miscellaneous and if you don't like it or don't want it, please feel free to leave it on a dumpster.
It does contain about 3 recordings of my old college radio show (circa '84-'86) which is pretty embarrassing. The music is great but my attempts at DJ'ing are, in retrospect, humiliating.
-
Robert Johnson and LZ are in the can. Too tired to burn any tonight. Has anybody else been burning for AD?
~Paul
-
Robert Johnson and LZ are in the can. Too tired to burn any tonight. Has anybody else been burning for AD?
~Paul
Not yet since I waiting to get more CDR's, but once I do...
-
Aloha, I'd like to send you something that is not music related, but more related to karma that you'll likely enjoy. I have a feeling that sending something from Canada to HI may be insanely expensive, but I'm looking into it. If you get an odd size package, I promise it's not a bomb.
-
I've got 4/10 cds burnt... mine might take a while, on account of my exams start next week, but I'll be a trooper and do the best I can, etc.
Just know that you are JEAPORDIZING MY FUTURE.
All of you.
-
I've got 4/10 cds burnt... mine might take a while, on account of my exams start next week, but I'll be a trooper and do the best I can, etc.
Just know that you are JEAPORDIZING MY FUTURE.
All of you.
If I woulda thought I could still be a bad influence on HS girls, I would have NEVER left the mainland. Damn.
I updated my previous address post to include a real name, for mailing purposes.
Take your time, I'm just happy you guys are so cool!
PS I was sort of poking around in the basement and I found this thread (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=75), which is really interesting to read in light of the thread we are in now.
-
Your care package is en route. No album art or jewel boxes, just the CDs and printed playlists.
-
You Rock.
You Roll.
You Rule.
So Gents, (and ladies, if you like) send shirt sizes up to XXXXXXXL (no kidding, I really saw one 7XL) and I'll respond to the CD burning fiesta with fine, high-quality hawaiian apparel the likes of which usually grace the painful pink shoulders and torsos of sunburned Japanese and Midwestern Arctic Cold Front refugees. In fact, I'll also burn some Hawaiian music for you because some of it is OK (although most of it makes me want to roll around on the ground like the little old man in 8 Crazy Nights).
Thanks again!
-
Hiya! I'm EXTREMELY happy with the two care packages of discs (and some things my daughter really likes) that came and thank you both so much! I won't embarass you by outing you here, but it means a lot to us to have something to listen to. I will be sending back some Hawaiiana to thank you but what would be helpful would be what size of authentic Hawaiian shirt I can send you (they grow on trees here) and also if you have any specific food allergies I should avoid if I put together some kind of little package for you.
For the rest of you sending disks: I'll be asking you the same sort of question. And I do have a plan for people who don't answer...
IN OTHER NEWS: A key arrest has been made. More info including the now foregone conclusion that the housesitter is an Ice addict. One more major arrest needs to be made and the case should break; best news of all: the police have a line on the person who may have the guitar at the moment. Which would be AWESOME.
In other other news: I'm thinking about picking up Bass. Without spending tons, what's a good model to learn on? And is an acoustic Bass worth buying to learn on?
For Limmo, Slink and other musicians out there: What do you think of this? (http://www.konaweb.com/stick/index.shtml)
-
In other other news: I'm thinking about picking up Bass. Without spending tons, what's a good model to learn on? And is an acoustic Bass worth buying to learn on?
For Limmo, Slink and other musicians out there: What do you think of this? (http://www.konaweb.com/stick/index.shtml)
You might want to slog through the disscussion of this here (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=370). I don't know if we reached any concensus before the whole thing devolved into "f-hole" jokes, but the advice I solicited might be helpful to you.
For what it's worth, I bought a really cheap Grand acoustic bass. It's probably crap, but as a tone-deaf starving grad student, it's good enough for me.
But then I can't play worth a damn. Good luck, AlohaDawg
-
The 3-string bass stick looks like a fun toy, but it seems to be designed for non-traditional tunings, so you can play along with slack key music, where the guitars are tuned to an open C6 chord. I'd also be leery of any bass where you need an EQ pedal.
By acoustic bass, do you mean a regular stand-up bass, or an acoustic bass guitar? Two wholly different things.
If you're interested in playing anything other than trad Hawaiian music, you'll probably want an electric bass. I blathered about this general subject here (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=370&highlight=). It's hard to go wrong with a Fender Precision.
-
I was browsing Fender's Stratocaster 50th anniversary catalog (with a cool story about Stevie Ray Vaughan's "number one" and it was NOT buried with him as so many of us thought...)and I thought the acoustic bass guitars looked kind of cool.
Picked up the catalog so Elinor could pick out a guitar to replace her Strat...if everything works out OK, she gets her actual one back and maybe I get a bass.
-
I reckon acoustic basses are much maligned. And lovely.
All you need do to understand their beauty is listen to something like Please Do Not Go off Violent Femmes eponymous album.
If I learned any bass it would chiefly be acoustic, although I'd want to pick up a fretless too.
Oh, and it may be the same with bass, but acoustic guitars are far better to learn on than electric.
-
Oh, and it may be the same with bass, but acoustic guitars are far better to learn on than electric.
Um, would you care to elaborate on this theory of yours?
-
Um, would you care to elaborate on this theory of yours?
It's not just my theory.
Part of it is that the sound yuo get back from it is in no way altered by ampage, which people will tend to overdrive even a little bit.
Also acoustics will tend to have slightly firmer string action, which means you are learning on a guitar that involves slightly more effort to play. This means when you switch to an electric you are suddenly overwhelmed at how easy it is.
Plus, with the kinds of money most people will spend to learn you won't be getting a 100watt amp, which is the first point at which amping my guitar sounded good as opposed to OK, so you wouldn't be getting a true sound.
-
Part of it is that the sound yuo get back from it is in no way altered by ampage, which people will tend to overdrive even a little bit.
I don't even know what that means.
Also acoustics will tend to have slightly firmer string action, which means you are learning on a guitar that involves slightly more effort to play. This means when you switch to an electric you are suddenly overwhelmed at how easy it is.
While I completely agree with the donut-on-a-baseball-bat theory of string action, I think it's more important for a beginner to have a guitar that won't actively discourage them from playing. And electrics tend to be easier to play ( lighter strings and lower action ) than most acoustics. Your statement also implies that the student will be switching to an electric in the future anyway, so....
Plus, with the kinds of money most people will spend to learn you won't be getting a 100watt amp, which is the first point at which amping my guitar sounded good as opposed to OK, so you wouldn't be getting a true sound.
Come on, Slink, there is an entire universe of good-sounding amps out there under 100 watts, and the smaller an amp is, the easier it is to overdrive at a volume level that won't annihilate an entire city block.
-
Acoustic basses became popular in the '90's, but I don't recall any really good bands using one.
The guitar players have had their say so now you can hear from an actual bass player. Go for the solid body bass.
~Paul
-
Would the people who have burned disc for AD please post here what you have sent him. I'm kinda coloring outside of the lines, but I don't want to send anything that someone else has already covered.
~Paul
-
Here's mine. (http://free.hostdepartment.com/t/twentyfifteen/aloha.html)
Painstakingly rendered in html so that if Aloha doesn't want to ruin the surprise of the Three Mystery Disks, he needn't.
-
I sent Paul Simon's Graceland and Rhythm of the Saints and some things by Billy Bragg, the Roches and the McGarrigle sisters, let me know if you need more detail.