The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Jaded Tersk on April 16, 2012, 11:12:59 pm

Title: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: Jaded Tersk on April 16, 2012, 11:12:59 pm
What do you guys think?  This just sits wrong with me.  It ruffles my feathers.  It rubs me up the wrong way.  Shit was wack, yo.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 17, 2012, 12:21:46 am
im surprised no one has done that with elvis.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: miles on April 17, 2012, 01:12:23 am
Can you be so sure it was a hologram? 2pac 4 eva.

Really, it doesn't bother me that much. Also, what GKA said. There has to be some Elvis holograms out there.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: miles on April 17, 2012, 01:46:40 am
Jimi Hendrix too. There's no way some nerdy artist type one night tripping balls and listening to All Along the Watchtower->Voodoo Child hasn't thought of this. Maybe at a laser show.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: Jaded Tersk on April 17, 2012, 06:11:40 am
My finger was just hovering above the button to close that tab when the re-animated Jimi corpse jumped out of the coffin.  I guess I'm glad, in a way, that I saw it.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 17, 2012, 11:32:50 am
supposedly not an actual hologram (http://thefrogman.me/post/21258561371/tupac-was-actually-a-magic-trick)
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: Jaded Tersk on April 17, 2012, 11:40:07 am
(http://www.aokaymusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/2998b886885211e19dc71231380fe523_71.jpg)

My bad.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: AugustWest on April 17, 2012, 02:49:08 pm
If I didn't like it with Hank (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA67y3mqjMs) I sure as heck ain't endorsing this set of shenanigans.

Whenever I think of Hank Jr., I can't help but think Oh, it's "Daddy's Little Fatty!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpjoi8dL9R4)
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: Nabubrush on April 17, 2012, 03:13:33 pm
Saw a couple references to this and didn't know what it was. Thankfully Batman and Robin have explained it.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: miles on April 26, 2012, 02:14:09 am
What.

http://pitchfork.com/news/46307-tlc-to-tour-with-film-projection-of-left-eye/

And it's not the first time they've done this.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: theinevitable on April 26, 2012, 03:07:10 am
To be fair, Hendrix's family already kind of dug him up with all of the compilations of unreleased materials, mediocre live shows, etc.

I can't complain, the compilation this is off of (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2nr_F22Ew8) is pretty cool, although I can't find my copy. Seems like he was going in a much more R&B direction with the next album, at least to my 17-year-old ears at the time. When those sleigh bells come in it gives me chills.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: miles on April 26, 2012, 04:28:45 am
Yeah, the world certainly could have used another decade of Hendrix.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: Nabubrush on April 26, 2012, 04:40:01 am
Along as Jim Morrison would still be dead.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: miles on April 26, 2012, 05:57:41 am
I like the Doors, but as I typed that I thought we have all the Jim Morrison we'll ever need.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: Nabubrush on April 29, 2012, 12:28:41 am
The world has about 100 times as much Jim Morrison as is required.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: AugustWest on April 29, 2012, 01:47:46 pm
The world has about 100 times as much Jim Morrison as is required.

I don't know,  this is pretty wonderful. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EHmkNEMPK0&ob=av2n)
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: Nabubrush on April 29, 2012, 05:15:12 pm
I don't know,  this is pretty wonderful. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EHmkNEMPK0&ob=av2n)

I'd take that over their official output every time.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: side_show on April 30, 2012, 09:55:17 pm
There were some cute boys at my high school who were into The Doors, so I tried to like The Doors.  In the end I realized liking The Doors wasn't really possible for me no matter how I tried, so I also gave up on those boys.  When I look back now, I'm glad I didn't end up liking The Doors.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: miles on May 01, 2012, 01:30:02 am
Am I the only one here who likes The Doors?

I mean, they are a ridiculous band, and Jim Morrison is even more ridiculous, but they have some fuck*ng awesome songs. And most of their albums are pretty strong.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 01, 2012, 01:53:39 am
I really dig their first album, but then I am out.  Like 4 minutes into the album he says light another cigarette.  I used to drive around in high school a lot chain smoking, and when he said that I was usually just finishing my first cigarette and lighting up my second, if done correctly right as he says the words (this maybe doesn't make sense- I would get in my car, start the album, start my drive and start my smoke.  My smoke was over right as he would say those words and I would smoke again.  I always wondered if it was intentional.  I mean, a lot of people probably cued up records then lit a smoke back in like 66 67 whatever, so it makes sense it would be on purpose.)  That is not a good reason to like them, but I also like them cause that album is good.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: Nabubrush on May 01, 2012, 02:42:09 am
I listened to the Doors incessantly when I was in high school and they just sound sort of ridiculous to me now.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: pmcd9 on May 01, 2012, 06:43:44 am
My opinion of the Doors has fluctuated through the years between 'they're okay,' to 'this shit sucks.' Right now I think they're okay and LA Woman fuck*ng cooks. When I was a little kid I thought Riders on the Storm was fuck*ng awesome. I still remember hearing it on the radio in my mother's car one night while sitting along in the parking lot of the grocery store. Light My Fire is a cool song, but once I've heard it I don't want to hear it again for a long time.

I think they're biggest problem is they didn't have a bass player until LA Woman.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: miles on May 01, 2012, 02:26:21 pm
I think they're biggest problem is they didn't have a bass player until LA Woman.

Don't let that scare you my friend, let that liberate you! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5xillqqt0Y0#t=107s)

watch the whole clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xillqqt0Y0
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: theinevitable on May 01, 2012, 05:25:26 pm
The Doors were my Emo Teen music in high school. I need some more distance from that before I can dig them again.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: Nabubrush on May 01, 2012, 07:54:18 pm
Seems like we're all sort of in agreement, then.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: side_show on May 01, 2012, 08:48:17 pm
This reminds me of a really weird poster I once saw.  I went to a very left leaning University, and I came across a poster that was hand painted and said "Do you like The Doors? Come and meet other people who like The Doors and listen to the music of The Doors.  It included a date, time and house address and that's it.  I remember thinking, "I don't like The Doors all that much, but this would be pretty entertaining, and I bet there will be free drugs."  I never went, I sort of thought I'd be lying to claim I like The Doors.  I mean, I don't hate them or anything, but I don't really like them either.  I really regret not checking out what was going on there though.  Then again, it could have led to all sorts of bad things...  I'll never know.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 01, 2012, 10:56:08 pm
Never knowing....that should be the regret.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: AugustWest on May 02, 2012, 12:48:30 am
Am I the only one here who likes The Doors?

I mean, they are a ridiculous band, and Jim Morrison is even more ridiculous, but they have some fuck*ng awesome songs. And most of their albums are pretty strong.

Yeah, this is pretty much where I am.  And by god, where would TV documentaries about the 60's be without the organ riff from Light My Fire?  Where, I ask you, where?

I mean, its one of the big three songs that are shorthand for the "Turmoil and Upheaval of the Late Sixties".  Light My Fire, All Along the Watchtower and Gimme Shelter.  Right?
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: pmcd9 on May 02, 2012, 05:23:30 am
I bet it would make sense to a lot of you if I said my Doors are your AC/DC.

Except for the fact that I've loved AC/DC from the moment I heard them and I've never gotten tired of hearing them. Even 35 years on. I got burned out on Led Zeppelin even, but never AC/DC.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: pmcd9 on May 02, 2012, 05:29:50 am
Oh, and I just remembered, I had a doors fueled bad trip. A friend had died and I took some mushrooms at a party. I was doing fine until The End came on. I thought I was literally walking into hell.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: Choop on May 02, 2012, 05:30:48 am
the end is the worst song ever recorded, and i'm counting friday and 3 second rule and grandma vs reindeer in that tally
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: pmcd9 on May 02, 2012, 05:36:37 am
the end is the worst song ever recorded

It's a great 2 minute song wrapped in a 12 minute package.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: theinevitable on May 02, 2012, 05:57:26 am
I love The End.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: Nabubrush on May 02, 2012, 09:44:01 pm
Interesting that Gimme Shelter was just mentioned because if you stacked those two bands up (and you can chop the bottom two-thirds of the catalog off for the Stones just to make the output similar) nobody would ever take you seriously. The Doors may not even be the best band with the word doors in the name.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: theinevitable on May 02, 2012, 10:41:01 pm
I have gotten infinitely more pleasure out of listening to The Doors than The Stones, and I probably haven't listened to more than 10 Doors songs in the last 5 years. So I guess it takes all kinds, or something.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: wombat on May 03, 2012, 12:50:59 am
The Doors always seemed to me to be... tacky. Like, if Morrison hadn't died young, he would have ended up an old guy with a horrible lounge act in Las Vegas.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: side_show on May 03, 2012, 12:55:46 am
Well we all know how Val Kilmer turned out, and he was a dead ringer for Morrison back in the day.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: miles on May 03, 2012, 12:59:09 am
The Doors always seemed to me to be... tacky. Like, if Morrison hadn't died young, he would have ended up an old guy with a horrible lounge act in Las Vegas.

You're exactly right. But they still made some kickass music.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 03, 2012, 01:25:30 am
Yeah, to be fair I liked Ace of Base too.  I think that was like ages 8-11, then I kinda stopped listening at all, then boom.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: pmcd9 on May 03, 2012, 02:33:10 am
Based on our discussion here I just watched this video (http://youtu.be/atAsq4R7v2c).  My opinion has flipped back to "this band sucks."

Also, I'm very surprised that Inev doesn't like The Stones.  I would have thought them to be right in his wheelhouse. Huh?
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: miles on May 03, 2012, 02:42:40 am
Oh, come on. This song, for example, kicks ass: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boeCq8mSY5E
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: pmcd9 on May 03, 2012, 04:43:41 am
Oh, come on. This song, for example, kicks ass: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boeCq8mSY5E

Oh these mood swings are killing me. Yes, I liked that.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: Jaded Tersk on May 03, 2012, 06:02:03 am
Totally agree with Wombat's idea of future Jim Morrison.  He'd be in prison for a sex crime, for sure.

Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: theinevitable on May 03, 2012, 06:47:52 am
sometimes I think that the best thing a band can do is come up with a new kind of texture. I haven't heard any band that had the texture the doors had. jazzy drums with fancy organ and flamenco-influenced guitar? whoa.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 03, 2012, 11:40:49 am
one thing i dislike about the doors is that ignorant, white trash stoner chicks have a boner for jim morrison and thay have that stupid poster/flag/whatever*.  subconscious jealousy?  im not really interested in the attention of those kinds of ladies, so i doubt it.

*(http://www.marijuana.sk/images/jim_morrison_the_doors_flag_big.jpg)

(why do i even care what people like and have on their walls?  the fuck?!)
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: wombat on May 03, 2012, 12:47:06 pm
Totally agree with Wombat's idea of future Jim Morrison.  He'd be in prison for a sex crime, for sure.

Heh, that too.

I'm glad some people agree. This is the first time I have ever dared to express this opinion aloud.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: pmcd9 on May 03, 2012, 04:36:57 pm

I'm glad some people agree. This is the first time I have ever dared to express this opinion aloud.

This is a safe place.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: jaydub on May 09, 2012, 12:13:52 am
one thing i dislike about the doors is that ignorant, white trash stoner chicks have a boner for jim morrison and thay have that stupid poster/flag/whatever*. 

I wonder the same thing about the Che beret image - especially considering how revolting Guevara would have felt about being objectified in merchandise.  Sweet irony.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: Nabubrush on May 09, 2012, 02:22:27 am
I will drop in here the fact, which I have mentioned before, that the iconic image of Che was created by Jim Fitzpatrick, the artist that did most of Thin Lizzy's album covers.

The more you know!
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: Nabubrush on May 09, 2012, 02:24:08 am
I wonder the same thing about the Che beret image - especially considering how revolting Guevara would have felt about being objectified in merchandise.  Sweet irony.

Fitzpatrick recently announced that he was planning to copyright the Che image and give the rights to the family, because of the issue you mentioned.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: jaydub on May 09, 2012, 04:51:04 am
Making his descendants wealthy from capitalizing on his image would be even more ironic.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 09, 2012, 01:31:05 pm
I wonder the same thing about the Che beret image - especially considering how revolting Guevara would have felt about being objectified in merchandise.  Sweet irony.

Every time I watch the Presidents Race at Nationals Park, I wonder what those actual presidents would think of being memorialized in this way.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: Nabubrush on May 09, 2012, 01:31:35 pm
one thing i dislike about the doors is that ignorant, white trash stoner chicks have a boner for jim morrison and thay have that stupid poster/flag/whatever*.

It isn't just ignorant white trash stoner chicks (or at least it wasn't when I was noticing it). There was a guy in one of my high school yearbooks who had his picture taken, shirtless, next to that poster. Amusingly homoerotic!
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: side_show on May 09, 2012, 06:49:21 pm
See, Morrision was a twink in his time, if he had survived he would have converted to bear.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: Nabubrush on May 09, 2012, 07:20:29 pm
See, Morrision was a twink in his time, if he had survived he would have converted to bear.

With the drinking and not taking care of himself (and the copious facial hair), he was well on his way at the end there.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on May 10, 2012, 02:07:52 am
See, Morrision was a twink in his time, if he had survived he would have converted to bear.

I've always thought a great name for a gay baseball team would be The Bad News Twinks.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: side_show on May 10, 2012, 02:31:38 am
Gay Baseball. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNCUgFeIjyM)
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: miles on May 10, 2012, 04:02:30 am
There have been some fantastic KITH links recently. Keep it up people.
Title: Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
Post by: miles on May 15, 2012, 03:32:20 am
A little silhouetto of Freddie Mercury on stage (http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/music/12535588-421/a-little-silhouetto-of-freddie-mercury-on-stage.html)