The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Choop on April 27, 2012, 03:49:21 am
-
eh, he's new to the process yet. c'est la vie. maybe one day he'll get there.
it's like beer: you start with bud or miller lite, because that's "what people drink" and then once you understand what you're dealing with, you move up toward the microbrews and high-gravities and the good beers that actually taste like something.
-
lately I've realized that I like Budweiser. Trying to hold onto this as long as possible.
-
everybody's got to have a cheap beer of choice; mine is miller high life. but as a matter of preference? give me a new belgium 1554 or a belhaven st. andrew's ale or a fuller's london pride, and i'm far, FAR happier
-
I like that I am a guy who has been drinking a lot of Budweiser lately, but hearing that you drink 1554 makes me scoff. Not my favorite dark beer.
For a while now I haven't liked any non-micro beers, so I am kind of proud of myself.
Recently my friend walked into a bar and asked what Schlafly beers they had (local brewery). The bartender looked him in the eye and said, "this ain't no gay bar."
-
My favorite beer is St. Arnold. I've never drank it myself personally, but they have artcars so they must be cool. I have, however, had their wonderful root beer (http://www.saintarnold.com/beers/rootbeer.html) and it is fantastic. Of course I have a picture (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/6972258792/in/photostream).
-
inev, do you think it is rad to hate good things?
(or are you proud of yourself for thriftiness because seriously i can't figure out what you mean there)
-
He means that 1554, and I'll add this for him- all New Belgium Beers- are kinda overrated, and even though he has been drinking budweiser he can see that and you can't.
Inev is right by the way, and this is coming from a Coloradan. I mean, New Belgium stuff is alright, but it ain't nothing to write home about, and we have way more better beer companies out here. Try some Great Divide sometime.
-
i can kind of see that. different strokes and all, but 1554 is one of my favorite beers. i don't like most of what new belgium offers, truth be told, but that one they got right on the money.
what raised my hackles was For a while now I haven't liked any non-micro beers, so I am kind of proud of myself.
which just feels so fuck*ng hipstery to me unless it's a self-hi5 for thriftiness, and though you, inev, might have exhibited certain hipsteresque affectations (skinny jeans and the like) most of them seem to be those innocuous traits that nobody your age can avoid.
ash, my liquor preferences are like this:
- bourbon
- gin
- tequila
- canuck whiskey
- vodka
- mezcal
- scotch
- rum
--BANNED--
- irish whiskey
- jack daniels
so i can't talk about sailor jerry one way or another
-
Oh, that is kinda annoying. Also, inev is definitely a hipster I think. I mean, I am a hipster too, so whatever, but.
Also, you had a weakness for the Jameson too?
-
not jameson. tullamore dew. it's too damn smooth and the drunk sneaks up on you
-
And here is where I say I'll drink Fleischman's vodka but I don't drink beer.
Well, until I get drunk, and then I'll drink anything. Eat it, snobs!
-
yeah, what I meant was "for a long time I haven't been able to drink any beers that weren't fancy microbrews, so I am glad that now I can enjoy a normal-person beer."
I was sick of being that asshole who won't drink the beer at your party because it isn't fancy enough.
1554, something about the flavor doesn't match the texture to me. My mouth/brain interface wants it to be a lot thicker and creamier than it is. Other New Belgium beers are good. Maybe I am burnt out on beer or something.
-
Beer makes me feel full, which in turn slows me down. Liquor keeps the party going.
-
I don't really care for beer in general (though occasionally I find myself in the right mood) so the only thing I have to add to this is that Pedro has so little taste in beer he used to buy Schlitz on a regular basis. The only reason he stopped is because when his brothers would come over and see it in the fridge the would pick on him for it.
Now he usually gets Yuengling because it's popular with "the guys," but when I'm buying I try to get local brews like Carolina Pale Ale, Natty Green, Duck-Rabbit, etc. It's as much about supporting the local economy as it is about the minimizing the environmental impact of importing liquids in heavy glass bottles, and on top of that, the Carolina Brewing Company has some pretty good beers, including the one I most often drink (when I do drink beer), CBC Nut Brown.
-
duck rabbit's amber ale is good, but their milk stout (which is the only one i can find lately) tastes better coming back up than it does going down. seriously, that is a disgusting beer and i cannot fathom how people drink it.
-
duck rabbit's amber ale is good, but their milk stout (which is the only one i can find lately) tastes better coming back up than it does going down. seriously, that is a disgusting beer and i cannot fathom how people drink it.
I have never had milk stout, but my beer-snob BFF says that all of it is nasty.
-
We are in Hawaii and my wife keeps drinking Sierra Nevada IPA.
-
Left Hand's milk stout is the nectar of the gods. Even my roommate's home brewed milk stout was delicious, so what the heck is CBC doing with theirs to make it bad?
Yuengling is a great cheap-er beer. Supposedly they are expanding this way soon, and that will be exciting.
-
That was probably my Colorado beer of choice until I became vegan. Anyone tried 90 Schilling? That shit is delicious. I quit drinking everything years ago, so forget who makes it and such, but it was my Denver favorite at the end of my drinking days.
-
ash, miller 64 is a pointless, even paler imitation of high life. but cheers anyway; i'll just stick to the 143 calorie version
-
and high life is too potent for that? wow. i don't think anybody would call high life a "good thick beer" - neither of those adjectives truly apply
-
damnit my reading comprehension is just for shit these days
i'm gonna blame, uh... college?
-
All this bourbon talk has me considering this event (http://www.kybourbonfestival.com/index.htm) seriously.
I have mild reservations, though.
Well come on. We'll have a blast.
-
You're my mild reservations, you bad influence, you.
Who me? Why I'm just a mild-mannered tax lawyer...