The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: jaydub on May 03, 2012, 12:48:11 am

Title: Tiania Baul Seau is dead
Post by: jaydub on May 03, 2012, 12:48:11 am
Better known as "Junior", he was #55 for the San Diego Chargers from 1990 to 2002, playing linebacker.  I was completely uninterested in the Chargers until I saw him play, and afterwards would make an effort to watch them just to see some of the most spectacular defensive football I have ever witnessed.  In terms of competitive fire, the ability to change the outcome of a game almost single handedly, and rally his teammates though force of will he was like a rejuvenation of Lawrence Taylor, but without the borderline personality disorder.
He shot himself in the chest apparently - this is significant because it spared trauma to his brain and mimics the recent suicide by gunshot of another former football player who was suffering from Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy - brain damage from repeated blows to the head.  It may be that Junior also felt he had the condition, and wanted the people studying the disorder to be able to use him.  I'm sure this will play out over the next few weeks.
While I never met him, he seemed through interviews and media stories to be a genuinely nice, friendly man.  I had hoped he would have a long life post-football, but it appears that once the game was done with him, there wasn't any more to give.
Title: Re: Tiania Baul Seau is dead
Post by: miles on May 03, 2012, 12:53:12 am
That's very sad and disturbing.

I wonder if one day people will look back on us and wonder how we could enjoy this sport with so much enthusiasm ostensibly without guilt. Does anyone else ever feel conflicted about this?
Title: Re: Tiania Baul Seau is dead
Post by: theinevitable on May 03, 2012, 01:07:20 am
My favorite writer has some stuff to say about this. (http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/05/junior-seau-is-dead/256664/) He has been writing about this issue for a while, if you look back through his archives. Damn this guy is smart. I do not know how I would feel about it as a sports fan. I avoid sports because I hate watching them, not because of some high moral decision.
Title: Re: Tiania Baul Seau is dead
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 03, 2012, 01:29:00 am
I got a high def tv way after most people, and the first day we got it I watched that Ravens Steelers game where Heath Miller (? Pits tight end) got concussed hardcore.  I thought he was dead and the replays kind of made me sick.  I haven't really watched much football since then.

I don't watch sports because basketball and baseball are almost never on over the air tv.  It is almost worth it to get cable, and I especially always want to during this month (nba and nhl playoff month) but I don't.
Title: Re: Tiania Baul Seau is dead
Post by: pmcd9 on May 03, 2012, 02:19:37 am
I got a high def tv way after most people, and the first day we got it I watched that Ravens Steelers game where Heath Miller (? Pits tight end) got concussed hardcore.  I thought he was dead and the replays kind of made me sick.  I haven't really watched much football since then.

Sounds like that was your Joe Theisman moment.  Not that Joe Theisman made me stop watching football, but it was hell of nasty to see.
Title: Re: Tiania Baul Seau is dead
Post by: AugustWest on May 03, 2012, 03:40:25 am
That's really really sad. 
Title: Re: Tiania Baul Seau is dead
Post by: Jaded Tersk on May 03, 2012, 06:13:21 am
This is extremely sad.  I wasn't big on NFL during my coming up days in San Diego, but you couldn't escape the fact that Seau was seen by the people around you as more than a mere mortal.  Guys were going to sleep dreaming about Junior Seau and it wasn't even homo-erotic. 

RIP.
Title: Re: Tiania Baul Seau is dead
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 03, 2012, 03:43:36 pm
Couple o' good pieces on #55:

http://deadspin.com/5907297/the-night-junior-seau-picked-up-a-marine-captains-tab-and-serenaded-bar-patrons-with-a-ukulele

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/5/3/2995052/junior-seau-death
Title: Re: Tiania Baul Seau is dead
Post by: Nabubrush on May 03, 2012, 05:45:21 pm
As I mentioned elsewhere, I have a sneaking suspicion that there are factors other than just head trauma playing into this one, but of course I don't have any information you all don't have. It was a lot more fun to watch the Chargers back then than it has been for a while. Of course LT was fun to watch, but it's kind of gotten excruciating since then. I think Junior had a real hard time giving the game up (remember the "retirement" and subsequent team changes). This is a rough one.
Title: Re: Tiania Baul Seau is dead
Post by: Nabubrush on May 03, 2012, 05:49:24 pm
By the way, he is the eighth player from the super bowl team to die (http://m.postbulletin.com/postbulletin/pm_105559/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=fi9DlIPC).
Title: Re: Tiania Baul Seau is dead
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 04, 2012, 03:30:29 pm
re: what OP said: mr. seau's family just gave permission for his brain to be studied (http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-junior-seau-brain-study-20120503,0,1280862.story)
Title: Re: Tiania Baul Seau is dead
Post by: wombat on May 04, 2012, 04:11:38 pm
Walking through the zoo today, a guy carrying a toddler was telling the guy he was with how his son was going to be the in NFL.

I wanted to say, why not drop him headfirst on the pavement right now and get it over with?
Title: Re: Tiania Baul Seau is dead
Post by: Nabubrush on May 04, 2012, 07:13:32 pm
Maybe by the time he's an adult we'll stop destroying their brains.
Title: Re: Tiania Baul Seau is dead
Post by: Nabubrush on May 10, 2012, 04:39:10 am
I know I'm a bad person for saying this, but I thought it today so what the hell: why do these things always happen to the Seaus and never the Romanowskis?
Title: Re: Tiania Baul Seau is dead
Post by: Nabubrush on May 10, 2012, 04:44:17 pm
Peter King . . . he's not a journalist. Which is fine, but he looks down on bloggers, and he's more or less a glorified blogger himself.