The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: wombat on May 08, 2012, 01:21:57 pm
-
Maurice Sendak has died.
(I stole that thread title from John Scalzi's Twitter.)
-
Be sure to watch the Sendak interview with Colbert. It's fan-freaking-tastic.
-
Lots of GenX icons passing away at the moment. Hmm.
-
There is a political cartoonist/blogger I follow who always gets bent when famous people die, because the same dumb-ass editorial page cartoons are trotted out.
So in this case, will we see more Sad Wild Things, or St. Peter saying "Let the Wild Rumpus start!"
-
I didn't kill him.
A former mayor of Wasilla died as well (no, not that one).
-
Be sure to watch the Sendak interview with Colbert. It's fan-freaking-tastic.
I couldn't agree more. I told my husband that Colbert and Sendak could become a comedy duo and tour the world.
Gosh, I've read "Where the Wild Things Are" to so many children over the years, and I have my own childhood copy on my shelf too.
-
when I tell my friends I was not read this book as a kid, they react as if I were saying "I don't like the Beatles" or "my parents don't believe in vegetables."
-
This book was also not a part of my childhood at all. I read it for the first time a few years ago, to find out what all the fuss was about.
I appreciate that Sendak had a huge impact on a lot of people, and I am sorry that he is gone, but I don't feel as personally grieved as I did when Seuss took the great Hoober Bloob Highway to the sky.
-
I never heard of it until the movie came out. I've also never read any Shel Silverstein, Superfudge, or A Wrinkle in Time.
-
I never heard of it until the movie came out. I've also never read any Shel Silverstein, Superfudge, or A Wrinkle in Time.
I don't know what superfudge is and I can't remember if I ever read Wrinkle, but dude you are missing out if you haven't rectified that first deal.
Has anyone not read Little Prince? I just saw something that said it was the most translated work after the bible (I think that was the factoid - might have been most printed). (Just checked - most translated French book.) I read the shit out of that.
-
I don't know if anyone read Wild Things to me as a child. I know the copy I have now is one I bought myself. So you can rectify these sad omissions, you know.
-
I was a Velveteen Rabbit kid, and I make no apologies.
-
My parents still have my childhood copy. I remember loving it. The Wild Things were so vivid to me. And I still like to read it now and again.
The movie wasn't bad, but it came nowhere near the beauty and magic of the book. My mom insisted that I see it with her because she remembers how much I loved it. That was kind of sweet.
-
Has anyone not read Little Prince? I just saw something that said it was the most translated work after the bible (I think that was the factoid - might have been most printed). (Just checked - most translated French book.) I read the shit out of that.
We read that in 4th grade, I think. I own a storytelling game called Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple that takes place in a very Little-Prince-esque world.
-
I was a Velveteen Rabbit kid, and I make no apologies.
Oh man, I loved that. Some pretty heavy shit too. I remember being terrified by scarlet fever though not totally understanding what it was. And also that it deeply saddened me.
I don't think I had ever made the connection until tonight, but thinking about the Velveteen Rabbit reminded me of Toy Story 3. I googled around a bit to see what others may have said about it, and ran into this post (http://takeonestepatatime.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=14210&page=1#204594) on a message board for hoarders or maybe just really messy people. Kind of interesting and sad.
I watched Toy Story 3 yesterday with my son. I felt pretty pretty strange watching it. It was disconcerting to see a story about how these toys have lives and feel loyalty, and are deeply hurt when they are thrown out. It was kind of like getting a hoarder guilt trip in animated form. Has anyone else had this reaction to this movie?
I remember reading the Velveteen Rabbit when I was younger, and I feel like it affected me deeply. Like it reinforced my tendencies to keep worn and broken toys regardless of how much I used them.
Seeing it through the recovery lens, I realize it encourages empathy with inanimate objects by anthropomorphizing them.
-
When I worked at camp that one summer, my buddy on staff would read The Little Prince to his campers. It always made me feel really emotional for some reason.
I recently learned that
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
is a disputed Antoine de Saint Exupéry quote. For some reason I thought it was from The Little Prince. I love that line.
-
My mom insisted that I see it with her because she remembers how much I loved it. That was kind of sweet.
haha! your mom loves you.
-
Oh man, I loved that. Some pretty heavy shit too.
I know I keep telling the same stories around here but I don't know if this is one of them.
When I was 8, maybe, I bought my mom a copy of The Velveteen Rabbit from the Scholastic book deal that they had at our elementary school (do they still do those?). My mom kept that book all her life - she had it in her bedside table. When she was on her deathbed and unable to communicate, we each got some time alone with her to say our goodbyes and such. When it was our turn, my wife read that book to her. That was sort of heavy for me.
-
*weeps*
-
... the Scholastic book deal that they had at our elementary school (do they still do those?).
Yes. My daughter is a book junkie.
-
I had never heard of that dude until Where the Wild Things Are came out a year or two ago. In fact I didn't even know what this thread was about based on the title.
I did see Where the Wild things Are in the theater. I was mildly amused by it. Seems like we went to a midnight viewing of it on the night it came out for some reason. I think I was with someone who was a big fan, but I can't remember.