The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Nabubrush on May 16, 2012, 06:22:26 pm

Title: Band names
Post by: Nabubrush on May 16, 2012, 06:22:26 pm
For what it's worth (and since the Shelby thread died on the vine) I'm going to set this off into the wild and see what happens. No real reason for this other than it doesn't quite fit into "what are you listening to".

Everybody likes that joke about "new band name". Anyway, here are four band names from actual bands I heard play that might fit that bill.

Underwear(were?)wolves
Glamchowdah
Placentapede
Trojan Hearse

That's gotta be close to the ultimate in not selling out. It doesn't matter how good your band is, if you have one of those names they will never be successful.

(Also, when I was in elementary school I made my first "new band name" joke and a substitute teacher overheard it. I am not sure why the name appealed to me, but I suggested "Anal Sweat and Goat Vomit" as the ultimate metal band name. I felt very relieved that the sub laughed and did not immediately have me expelled.)
Title: Re: Band names
Post by: CortJstr on May 16, 2012, 08:11:14 pm
The only joke name I can still recall is Boob Sweat & Taint Stank
Title: Re: Band names
Post by: Nabubrush on May 16, 2012, 08:26:12 pm
We can tour together.
Title: Re: Band names
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 16, 2012, 10:25:03 pm
i may have mentioned these before, but they exist:

mario speedwagon
tony danza tapdance extravaganza
ted dancin'

also, i was bitterly disappointed to know that there is already a band named "dickwolf"(like the producer of all the law/order shows...).
Title: Re: Band names
Post by: Nabubrush on May 16, 2012, 10:26:11 pm
I thought that one band was Ted Dancin' Machine.
Title: Re: Band names
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 16, 2012, 11:33:19 pm
A friend is naming his rap side-act "Filth Collins" on my recommendation.
Title: Re: Band names
Post by: Nabubrush on May 17, 2012, 12:36:22 am
That's gotta be close to the ultimate in not selling out. It doesn't matter how good your band is, if you have one of those names they will never be successful.

My bad, Pearl Jam is the exception that proves the rule. That is a pretty har-har-har name.
Title: Re: Band names
Post by: jay-ell on May 17, 2012, 02:08:58 am
(Also, when I was in elementary school I made my first "new band name" joke and a substitute teacher overheard it. I am not sure why the name appealed to me, but I suggested "Anal Sweat and Goat Vomit" as the ultimate metal band name. I felt very relieved that the sub laughed and did not immediately have me expelled.)

I think my life would have been very different if I'd gone to grade school with Nabu or someone like him.
Title: Re: Band names
Post by: Mr Trout on May 17, 2012, 06:31:41 am
There is a band named Police Academy 6 (http://policeacademy6.bandcamp.com/) that is not terrible. Remembering that always makes me smile.

I've always thought The fuck*ng Champs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTskHyb25l8&feature=relmfu) was a great band name.

Rapeman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV-q8M4vJ6M) the band (whose one album Two Nuns and a Pack Mule was a name taken from an actual porn mag) led me to The Rapeman comic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rapeman) which led me to the animated rapeman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c68ZFHglYLc). Apparently there is also a live-action series and several video games.
Title: Re: Band names
Post by: Doc on May 17, 2012, 08:49:09 am
Bands I have known personally, or close enough;

Leonidas Rex
Puberty Blues
And another one I can't remember just now but the name was based on their logo lookin kind of like a mantis head until you realised that the eyes were comedically large boobs and the jaws were her legs spreading. That band was basically as good as it sounds. Edit: They were, of course 'Funky mantis'. Commemorated in their first single 'We are Funky Mantis'

High school potential band name 'Glass Couch'
Title: Re: Band names
Post by: dejavroom on May 17, 2012, 08:47:06 pm
I was always partial to "V.aginal Goat" and "Nocturnal Emissions".
Title: Re: Band names
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on May 17, 2012, 09:28:26 pm
"Nocturnal Emissions".

That would be the best band name ever if they did nothing but Chopin covers.

Title: Re: Band names
Post by: jay-ell on May 17, 2012, 10:58:40 pm
That would be the best band name ever if they did nothing but Chopin covers.



How is it that VW doesn't have 40 cans for every post she makes?
Title: Re: Band names
Post by: Nabubrush on May 18, 2012, 12:38:11 am
I blame nefarious can thieves.
Title: Re: Band names
Post by: pmcd9 on May 28, 2012, 10:04:03 pm
Let's get the RAPES started.