The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Bulldog Jones on May 19, 2012, 10:48:17 am

Title: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
Post by: Bulldog Jones on May 19, 2012, 10:48:17 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05192012

There's no reason for even Connie to use the word "mazard", but I still like where this is all going.


Edit: Sorry if my chosen thread title conflicts with (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12052003) in your mind-banks.
Title: Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
Post by: wombat on May 19, 2012, 12:42:52 pm
No no no this doesn't make sense it's too soon for a new comic what is happening???
Title: Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
Post by: sensate on May 19, 2012, 02:34:21 pm
Holy wow, trying too hard much? That's what you get when you replace alcohol with Adderall.
Title: Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
Post by: jaydub on May 19, 2012, 04:22:52 pm
A little convoluted language is fun.  This was more like a chore.  Still, interesting.
Title: Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
Post by: jay-ell on May 19, 2012, 05:49:08 pm
I'm sorry, the correct thread title is, "At the Scow with half their eyes on."

Also, when did Ash start ghostwriting for 'Stad?
Title: Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
Post by: Jaded Tersk on May 19, 2012, 05:55:01 pm
I liked the language.  It's a deliberate thing now to open a can of word-ass as overkill.  The man's just trying to write as if we're not here to tell him what we think, and I like that.

The best part by a mile though is the observation that if you stop touching a trash-item you've found, you are over a barrel for littering.
Title: Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
Post by: wombat on May 19, 2012, 11:38:23 pm
It's better than that, it's Altimeter Tim.
Title: Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
Post by: side_show on May 20, 2012, 12:37:48 am
I can't help but feel that the last two strips are a reaction to the readers of the Portland Mercury who post angry messages about Onstad using big words in his food reviews.  It's like he comes over here to his bastard baby to blow off all his ten dollar words.  And I'm fine with that. 
Title: Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on May 20, 2012, 01:53:31 am
I can't help but feel that the last two strips are a reaction to the readers of the Portland Mercury who post angry messages about Onstad using big words in his food reviews.  It's like he comes over here to his bastard baby to blow off all his ten dollar words.  And I'm fine with that. 
http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/polished-peruvian/Content?oid=5844651#readerComments

Wow. I didn't know this was a thing. What gives, Portland? People are going to his articles just to get angry about a guy using "big words"?
Title: Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
Post by: side_show on May 20, 2012, 04:16:10 am
Well, you see AC, this is the world in which the Kardashians are famous.  It makes me shake my head a little too, but it is what it is.
Title: Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 20, 2012, 04:42:20 am
Portland only appreciates vocabulary ironically.

Then it puts a bird on it.
Title: Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
Post by: theinevitable on May 20, 2012, 04:50:59 am
I get annoyed when people use unnecessary fancy vocabulary, but that article did not strike me as doing that.

...this comic did, though.
Title: Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
Post by: CortesDiddy on May 21, 2012, 02:10:24 am
I think there was one review of his that really did get quite unnecessarily purple and rambling for a food review. That kind of fueled a backlash of uppity bitchiness that's lasted far longer than it should have, but that's apparently the nature of the comment culture that's developed on that website. A lot of blogs and shit on the web have that "miserable internet ghetto" feel going on where half of the regular commenters will never ever get along with the other half.


Grover Cleveland: Impeccable kind of sounds like a gay porno
Title: Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 21, 2012, 02:01:24 pm
http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/polished-peruvian/Content?oid=5844651#readerComments

Wow. I didn't know this was a thing. What gives, Portland? People are going to his articles just to get angry about a guy using "big words"?

Further proving that the comments sections of newspaper web sites are pretty much the worst places on the internet.
Title: Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
Post by: AugustWest on May 21, 2012, 02:51:01 pm
Further proving that the comments sections of newspaper web sites are pretty much the worst places on the internet.

Ever been to topix.com and read the forum/comments section for your local community. 

shudder
Title: Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
Post by: jaydub on May 21, 2012, 07:22:14 pm
If they are worse than Youtube comments, there must have been a new standard established.  Honestly, I think 90% of the You Tube comments are generated by some pre-alpha release AI that has been trained on Google-translate conversations from 7th grade chatrooms.
Title: Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
Post by: iron_felix on May 21, 2012, 08:27:41 pm
Which has the most intellectually toxic commenting culture? (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01172010)

These are Mr. Bear's first appearances in almost two years, apart from that one blog post, so I just assumed a dude had gotten rusty.  I like Smells' theory, though, that he's just getting his own back at a bunch of bitchy Portlanders.  In any case, "having half one's eyes on" is a vintage-style Onstadism and more than makes up for the weaker dialogue.
Title: Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on May 21, 2012, 08:44:25 pm
Ever been to topix.com and read the forum/comments section for your local community. 

shudder

My hometown's community message board would be hilarious if it wasn't real. 90% of the most recent threads are about to handle the cat population of a certain part of town. Old cat ladies foaming at the mouth vs. Kill 'em all and let god sort them out. Conspiracy theories are rampant about mysterious cabals of county parks department and the mayor's "cronies". "HOW COME THE COPS NEVER GET TRAFFIC TICKETS?? THINK ABOUT IT!"
Title: Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 21, 2012, 10:06:21 pm
I call the local topix up here "hillbilly TMZ".
Title: Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
Post by: AugustWest on May 22, 2012, 03:37:05 pm
And you learn so much about the local dating scene, especially in re: who is a skank and who ain't.
Title: Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
Post by: CortJstr on May 22, 2012, 11:13:13 pm
Edit: Sorry if my chosen thread title conflicts with (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12052003) in your mind-banks.

My first thought was, "wow, super zombie thread" before I looked at the date.
Title: Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
Post by: AKKOLADE on May 24, 2012, 03:14:14 pm
LOOK EVERYONE! I'M A LITERAL CHILD WHOSE INFERORITY COMPLEX IS SO GIANT HE FEELS THREATENED BY WORDS OF MORE THAN TWO SYLLAS!

What a bunch of anuses.
Title: Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
Post by: pmcd9 on May 24, 2012, 05:02:52 pm
I find the idea that if you pick up some trash and then put it back down you are littering to be funny.
Title: Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
Post by: side_show on May 24, 2012, 07:25:56 pm
I like it too Paul.  I've had a similar experience actually - where I've picked something up that looked intersting only to realize it was just garbage, and then, because I don't litter, being stuck needing to sove the problem.  It's a weird situation, since I wasn't the original litterer. 
Title: Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
Post by: AugustWest on May 24, 2012, 07:32:02 pm
LOOK EVERYONE! I'M A LITERAL CHILD WHOSE INFERORITY COMPLEX IS SO GIANT HE FEELS THREATENED BY WORDS OF MORE THAN TWO SYLLAS!

What a bunch of anuses.

Counterpoint:  Hey, it must be well written.  It uses big words.
Title: Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
Post by: Bulldog Jones on May 25, 2012, 06:33:24 pm
I find the idea that if you pick up some trash and then put it back down you are littering to be funny.

If I remember my childhood correctly, parents and teachers intentionally instilled this principle in us - the idea that, as soon as you touch some litter (or even if you see it and do nothing, like the Seinfeld finale) it becomes your responsibility. At least, this is exactly what runs through my head every time I pass by some trash on the ground.
Title: Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
Post by: JorgeFabregas on May 27, 2012, 02:46:31 am
For those of you counting at home, the picture on the cover of the book is in fact the first google image result for Grover Cleveland.

I was hoping that Onstad would use someone else's portrait just to shake things up.