The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: miles on May 19, 2012, 08:49:27 pm

Title: Video Games
Post by: miles on May 19, 2012, 08:49:27 pm
There doesn't seem to be an active general video game thread.

I just bought a PS3. What games should I get?

So far I only have Arkham City, and so far it kicks ass. I'm loving it. I'm also sure I'll get GTA IV soon (and V whenever that is released) because I used to love GTA III.

But what else?
Title: Re: Video Games
Post by: miles on May 19, 2012, 09:06:53 pm
Also, just because I want to complain, but nothing to do with video games...

A reason why I bought the system is because I just subscribed to MLB.TV and it seemed like one of the better ways to watch it. And the video quality is amazing. I also didn't have a blu-ray player, and while I only own a couple blu-rays I've received as gifts and only plan on buying a few more, I have to watch them somehow. So anyway, the Mariners kicked ass last night and are kicking ass so far today, but of course because they are playing in Colorado this weekend I can't watch the games. Bullshit.
Title: Re: Video Games
Post by: Jaded Tersk on May 19, 2012, 10:29:44 pm
I have a PS3 too, dude.  From way back, but yet the only games I've played on it are Fifa, Lara Croft, Red Dead and GTA games, so I probably can't add much to the discussion outside that.  I bought a Resident Evil game but I could tell it was bugging the other half that much, I just put it back on the shelf where it sits to this day.
Title: Re: Video Games
Post by: lprkn on May 21, 2012, 11:36:44 am
The Assassin's Creed titles are pretty fun, open-world games. Although the story is starting to overreach a bit. But you can ignore that.

Also, Dead Space and Bioshock.
Title: Re: Video Games
Post by: jay-ell on May 21, 2012, 12:42:12 pm
I have only ever had XBoxen and Nintendoohickies. (Well, and gaming PCs.) But I am completely addicted to Beautiful Katamari right now, it is a good one to play when you only have twenty minutes or when there are kids around whom you would prefer not to subject to violence or language.

Get Portal. Both of them. I see that the first one is only available retail in the Orange Box, which is still $50 on PS3. But maybe you can download it over PSN? I know it was available as a standalone via XBL for $20. But if you can only get it in the Orange Box, well, nobody ever complained about having to play Half Life, too.
Title: Re: Video Games
Post by: theinevitable on September 24, 2012, 08:01:26 am
I just got FTL (http://www.ftlgame.com/) on Steam and I am enjoying it so far. it seems like it might get a little repetitive, but I think it is going to get more complicated as I move beyond the early "try to get basic equipment" stages.
Title: Re: Video Games
Post by: CortJstr on September 24, 2012, 01:08:37 pm
Oh, people should check out Chester as a time-waster. It's on Desura and (I think) XBox Live. It's a basic platformer but you can chance your character and the background style on the fly. The characters have different jumping/power abilities (kind of like Mario 2) and the background style affects things like enemy speed and XP earned.
Title: Re: Video Games
Post by: Ben-San on September 24, 2012, 01:25:39 pm
I don't have a PS3 so no recs there. Lately I've been playing the aforementioned FTL, Dungeons of Dredmor (http://www.dungeonsofdredmor.com/), Minecraft with piles of mods, and the recently-released Kirby anniversary collection on Wii.
Title: Re: Video Games
Post by: side_show on September 24, 2012, 03:28:04 pm
One of the places we're going to on our trip is Super Potato (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQAvB0z3FbM).  So cool.
Title: Re: Video Games
Post by: pmcd9 on September 24, 2012, 09:27:38 pm
Everytime I see this thread pop up I think there's going to be a link to that Lana Del Ray song, so here we go (http://youtu.be/HO1OV5B_JDw).
Title: Re: Video Games
Post by: theinevitable on October 01, 2012, 06:37:00 am
Borderlands 2. My roommates are all big video game nerds (apparently!?) and yell at me for doing stupid things in the game. I want to play enough to catch up with them so that we can play coop.
Title: Re: Video Games
Post by: Choop on October 01, 2012, 07:01:25 am
i just played that the other night with the missus at a gaming bar. it's pretty cool but neither of us is great at FPS games, and 2p coop was 100% split-screen, which is super limited for vision. i could see getting pretty good at it if i owned an xbox and that disc, though.

my latest funtimes clickymabob is "bad piggies" by the angry birds folks. it's kind of like fantastic contraption, which i spent a few months obsessed with.