The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: pmcd9 on May 22, 2012, 02:56:03 pm

Title: No More Bitchin' About PayPal
Post by: pmcd9 on May 22, 2012, 02:56:03 pm
This (http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/22/tech/us-spacex/index.html) is what our PayPal fees have paid for.

I am so excited about this.
Title: Re: No More Bitchin' About PayPal
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on May 22, 2012, 03:16:08 pm
I think paying for space things is crap. I want to see Neil Degrasse give his famous NASA speech to the thousands of homeless people I see on the streets of NYC. Space is great and all, but can a brother spare a dime? Space exploration is national defense in a star strek comicon costume.
Title: Re: No More Bitchin' About PayPal
Post by: jay-ell on May 22, 2012, 03:46:57 pm
I kind of agree with A-Cap, but I do so with the understanding that this is a very post-Cold-War mentality based on some very new concepts in global history.
Title: Re: No More Bitchin' About PayPal
Post by: smick on May 22, 2012, 05:17:28 pm
Scotty's ashes finally made it into space.

See also: http://boingboing.net/2008/08/04/unfulfilled-space-fu.html
and: http://gma.yahoo.com/secret-celebrities-launched-spacex-falcon-rocket-232550714--abc-news-tv.html

They've been trying to get him up there since he died in 2005.

As far as space exploration vs. homeless people.   Maybe we could stop blowing up brown people for a bit to open up 1 or 2 soup kitchens with that 663 Billion that was the DODs 2010 budget. 

We need to be looking towards something better.  We live in a time and place where there is a diminished concern for quality.  The sentiment that doing amazing things is useless is the next door neighbor to aesthetics being worthless.   Why create music?  You can't eat that.  Why write?  It won't keep anyone warm.  Why design nice buildings?  A beige cement box will do just fine.

In the corporate sphere, I see it over and over.  Why do something really well, when it can be done at just the barely acceptable quality, for cheaper?  It's in the shareholder's best interest. 

It just doesn't make sense to me.   

If you're not aiming for quality or doing amazing things, why bother?  I guess I'll just stay home, shovel corn syrup into my gob and watch Rules of Engagement until I'm too old to make it to the toilet on my own.
Title: Re: No More Bitchin' About PayPal
Post by: jaydub on May 22, 2012, 05:47:28 pm
Seconded.  The human imperative is to survive and expand.  Discovery and exploration are fundamental. 
Title: Re: No More Bitchin' About PayPal
Post by: AugustWest on May 22, 2012, 06:03:19 pm
To put it in terms of Sid Meier -- A culture needs a great project to strive toward.  A great common purpose to achieve as a society.  The moon landing was such a great project, as was the internet.

I think we as a society benefit to the extent our great projects are positive and beneficial.  As humans we can spend our energy and the earth's resources dividing ourselves into infinite tribes constantly battling each other for dominance, or we can work together to build something. 

Right now I think we humans are between major projects.  The last big one, the internet (and especially the wireless web), we're still digesting.  I think having so much information and connection is changing society in a manner similar to the printing press and the industrial revolution -- possibly more.  Technology has built us an amazing tool and all we've learned to do with it yet is spy on each other, share kitten pictures and jack off.

So I believe we need big projects to unite us as a society.  And I believe humans are instinctively inclined toward exploration and this instinct has served us well thus far.  Space seems like the logical place to go.
Title: Re: No More Bitchin' About PayPal
Post by: Choop on May 22, 2012, 06:09:05 pm
it's too bad "eliminate poverty" and "make sure everybody can get medical care" and "guarantee everybody equal rights" can't be seen as one of these great projects. my guess? there's nowhere for profit in those projects, so the people who can get behind funding won't.
Title: Re: No More Bitchin' About PayPal
Post by: AugustWest on May 22, 2012, 06:19:15 pm
it's too bad "eliminate poverty" and "make sure everybody can get medical care" and "guarantee everybody equal rights" can't be seen as one of these great projects. my guess? there's nowhere for profit in those projects, so the people who can get behind funding won't.

I think they could, but we're a long way from that point.
Title: Re: No More Bitchin' About PayPal
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 22, 2012, 06:21:32 pm
"Fix/forestall/slow down global climate change" would be a pretty good big project too.
Title: Re: No More Bitchin' About PayPal
Post by: pmcd9 on May 22, 2012, 06:38:18 pm
I disagree with ACap. His logical fallacy is false cause (http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/false-cause).
Title: Re: No More Bitchin' About PayPal
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 22, 2012, 08:27:41 pm
Quote from: pmcd9
I disagree with ACap. His logical fallacy is false cause (http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/false-cause).

A can for Mr. Man.
Title: Re: No More Bitchin' About PayPal
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on May 23, 2012, 01:32:15 am
I disagree with ACap. His logical fallacy is false cause (http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/false-cause).
Its called accounting. Budgets are a zero sum game, my friend. Wax poetic about exploring space all you want, but this brother can not understand the logic of flipping off his neighbor and then burning millions of dollars to go where so many men have been before.
Title: Re: No More Bitchin' About PayPal
Post by: theinevitable on May 23, 2012, 01:53:02 am
I am a lot more bothered by paying people millions of dollars to shuffle money around on spreadsheets than I am paying people to build space ships.
Title: Re: No More Bitchin' About PayPal
Post by: smick on May 23, 2012, 07:40:21 am
Its called accounting. Budgets are a zero sum game, my friend. Wax poetic about exploring space all you want, but this brother can not understand the logic of flipping off his neighbor and then burning millions of dollars to go where so many men have been before.

I'd rather go to space than build another call center in Mumbai.  We can't ALL work service jobs.  Someone here has to eventually you know... DO something.
Title: Re: No More Bitchin' About PayPal
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on May 23, 2012, 01:28:34 pm
The US Govt builds call centers in Mumbai?
Title: Re: No More Bitchin' About PayPal
Post by: smick on May 23, 2012, 02:09:30 pm
Yes: Via economic policy and tax law.
Title: Re: No More Bitchin' About PayPal
Post by: Choop on May 23, 2012, 02:15:21 pm
Yes: Via economic policy and tax law.

(http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-golfclap.gif)
Title: Re: No More Bitchin' About PayPal
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on May 23, 2012, 02:20:07 pm
Explain to me how the federal budget for moon men equates to call centers in mumbai. Make that logical connection.
Title: Re: No More Bitchin' About PayPal
Post by: wombat on May 23, 2012, 02:24:38 pm
People, if you want to have this kind of stupid argument, there is the whole rest of the internet for you to use.
Title: Re: No More Bitchin' About PayPal
Post by: AugustWest on May 23, 2012, 04:55:29 pm
HERE'S A CAN
FOR BRINGIN'
THE PIMP HAN'