The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: Ben-San on June 12, 2012, 09:07:55 pm

Title: Hey
Post by: Ben-San on June 12, 2012, 09:07:55 pm
So yeah, my disappearance wasn't because I got hit by a truck or anything. As nearly as my vague recollection goes something happened that led to me being genuinely convinced that I had been shitting up the place for everyone else without realizing it so I figured I might as well just quietly leave and not make a fuss about it so as not to be the asshole I apparently hadn't realized I was. Today I ended up going "I wonder if touamb's still around" and apparently it is, so hey. I looked back at the old posts and I was probably overreacting, but I was also more of an aggressive asshole in my old posts than I needed to be so eh.

My mother, who was ill when I left, died last October. Other than that I still got brain problems and my body problems have gotten worse, I'm on disability but my insurance is in bureaucratic limbo, I don't leave the house very often and I spend most of my time reading pirated comic books. So basically, on the whole I'm probably not a much better person to talk to than I ever was, but at least I've learned to occasionally close the tab instead of getting in perpetual Internet slapfights, so that's something.

I dunno, I probably won't post much but I figured I'd check in and let you know I wasn't dead, I saw I was in the list of OGs in the who's who post so that's pretty cool.
Title: Re: Hey
Post by: pmcd9 on June 12, 2012, 09:14:35 pm
Welcome back old man.
Title: Re: Hey
Post by: wombat on June 12, 2012, 09:47:42 pm
OMG it's Ben!

I'm sorry if you're unhappy about not leaving the house much, but from my selgiraffe point of view, the bright side is that that gives you plenty of time to post here. Don't be a stranger!
Title: Re: Hey
Post by: lprkn on June 12, 2012, 09:53:44 pm
Welcome back, man. But get some sunshine once in a while, too.
Title: Re: Hey
Post by: jay-ell on June 12, 2012, 10:31:08 pm
Ben, I remembered you with nothing but fondness and affection. I'm glad to see you back, and I'm terribly sorry to hear about your loss.

Welcome back. There's no better place to be if you've got brain problems; we're all mad here, after all.
Title: Re: Hey
Post by: wombat on June 12, 2012, 11:35:42 pm
But get some sunshine once in a while, too.

If you have wireless and a laptop you can do that and post here too!
Title: Re: Hey
Post by: miles on June 13, 2012, 12:00:10 am
Ben, I remembered you with nothing but fondness and affection. I'm glad to see you back, and I'm terribly sorry to hear about your loss.

Welcome back. There's no better place to be if you've got brain problems; we're all mad here, after all.

I echo this exactly. Since JL is a better writer I'll just let that stand.

I genuinely enjoyed your contributions to religious and political discussions and you hooked me up with some digital Batman comics once. So yeah, welcome back.
Title: Re: Hey
Post by: Doc on June 13, 2012, 03:12:07 am
Oh fuck. This guy?

I keeed, cool to see you around again.
Title: Re: Hey
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on June 13, 2012, 04:03:35 am
from my selgiraffe point of view

I'm not sure when it is you left, Ben-San, but it seems like long enough ago that you have quite a few new filters to catch up on.
Title: Re: Hey
Post by: jaydub on June 13, 2012, 09:10:54 pm
I'm glad you're back.  A variety of voices among the figments keeps it from being an echo chamber in here.
Title: Re: Hey
Post by: AugustWest on June 14, 2012, 02:02:57 am
I had been shitting up the place for everyone else without realizing it

Hunh?  Here's a promise -- to you and everybody else.  If you are shitting up this place I will flat out tell you about.  Flat out.  Openly and emphatically.  You will recognize it if and when it occurs.  Unless and until it does you can assume you're on good terms around here, OK?

Sorry about your problems.  Please feel free to talk about them or to talk about things that are not your problems, at your discretion. 

Glad you're back.
Title: Re: Hey
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 14, 2012, 02:21:53 am
I've actually disappeared a coupla times for similar reasons.

I'll let you tell me if I've crossed a line from now on.
Title: Re: Hey
Post by: wombat on June 14, 2012, 02:28:19 am
This surprises me too actually. I've always thought we were pretty clear around here when someone needed a smackdown according to the standards of the community.
Title: Re: Hey
Post by: Doc on June 14, 2012, 03:16:44 am
That would kind of be The Saddest Thing. The man who was too crap a dude for internet message boards.

I guess we have kind of a high standard around these parts though.
Title: Re: Hey
Post by: miles on June 14, 2012, 04:15:40 am
Really? It seems the main rules are try not to be a total dick all of the time and try to be funny every so often.

Yeah, I guess those are pretty high standards comparatively.
Title: Re: Hey
Post by: greenkoolayd on June 14, 2012, 11:38:53 am
as far as the internet at large goes, were all the raddest dudes and ladies.
Title: Re: Hey
Post by: jay-ell on June 14, 2012, 02:07:47 pm
I have thought before that maybe I am being a crap lady here. I've never left because of it, though. Just gone into lurk mode.

We are all a little bit Roast Beef. It's all that keeps us from becoming Ray.
Title: Re: Hey
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 14, 2012, 03:51:04 pm
What AW said. He is wise.
Title: Re: Hey
Post by: smick on June 14, 2012, 03:52:46 pm
I have thought before that maybe I am being a crap lady here. I've never left because of it, though. Just gone into lurk mode.

We are all a little bit Roast Beef. It's all that keeps us from becoming Ray.

Roast Beefiness is why I have a post count of 1400 after 6 years.
Title: Re: Hey
Post by: dejavroom on June 14, 2012, 04:40:34 pm
Welcome back, Ben-sama!
Title: Re: Hey
Post by: Ben-San on June 14, 2012, 06:44:34 pm
I'm sorry if you're unhappy about not leaving the house much, but from my selgiraffe point of view, the bright side is that that gives you plenty of time to post here. Don't be a stranger!

Honestly I feel like this is actually something that contributes to my worse Internet posting habits. When you have enough time to notice and reply to every post, every post seems like it's aimed at you and intended for you to reply to. (That is, the rhetorical "you", which in this case means "me".)

Then in the other direction is a problem that I know I had previously on this board, where if you decide "okay, I'm only going to post when it's above a certain threshold of Giving Me Feelings so that I don't flood threads like that" and you're somebody who has brain problems that make negative feelings more prominent than otherwise, you'll end up making a lot of negative posts compared to your positive posts and kind of being an asshole.

And then there is a third risk of having too much time to post on the internet, which is where you come up with ideas and theories about why you're such a bad poster, and then you post about them.

Anyway I'll try to make a habit of poking my head in.
Title: Re: Hey
Post by: wombat on June 14, 2012, 07:35:12 pm
When you have enough time to notice and reply to every post, every post seems like it's aimed at you and intended for you to reply to.

You say that like it's a problem!
Title: Re: Hey
Post by: side_show on June 16, 2012, 12:05:52 am
Welcome back Ben-San, like the others, you've never stood out to me as as a crap dude or excessive poster, so, you know, maybe try harder to be a dick?  Heaven knows, we could use the excitement. 
Title: Re: Hey
Post by: Choop on June 16, 2012, 08:11:59 am
did you mean giraffe placenta or giraffe placenta
Title: Re: Hey
Post by: Choop on June 16, 2012, 08:12:46 am
goddamn filter making a joke of my filter joke
Title: Re: Hey
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on June 16, 2012, 05:17:09 pm
did you mean giraffe placenta or giraffe placenta

Well, giraffe don't have placentas, so i assume he meant giraffe placenta.