The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: jay-ell on June 16, 2012, 03:11:09 pm

Title: Never trust anyone over 30
Post by: jay-ell on June 16, 2012, 03:11:09 pm
I've been thinking recently about what makes someone a "grownup," and I wonder what y'all think. Fill in the blank:

"The difference between a child and an adult is __________"

I'll start:

"The difference between a child and adult is that a child who wants to eat candy for breakfast lacks the freedom to do so; the adult has the freedom but also understands why he shouldn't."
Title: Re: Never trust anyone over 30
Post by: wombat on June 16, 2012, 07:47:34 pm
And the other difference is that the adult has to pay for their own candy.
Title: Re: Never trust anyone over 30
Post by: smick on June 16, 2012, 09:22:18 pm
How I know I'm an adult:  I came across some Disney pornography and I wasn't even remotely interested in masturbating to it.
Title: Re: Never trust anyone over 30
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 16, 2012, 11:12:59 pm
When one realizes that there is no one but themselves to figure shit out, that's when you're adult.
Title: Re: Never trust anyone over 30
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 17, 2012, 12:35:21 am
The difference between childhood and adulthood for me is basically that I am less afraid of death because I am more exhausted.

I'm getting a sleep apnea study at the end of the month, though, that should help.
Title: Re: Never trust anyone over 30
Post by: AugustWest on June 17, 2012, 02:59:22 am
Buddy, if they urge you to try the machine take it.

This.
Title: Re: Never trust anyone over 30
Post by: miles on June 17, 2012, 05:01:47 am
I'm getting a sleep apnea study at the end of the month, though, that should help.

Are you doing the whole overnight observation thing or the oximeter? I did the oximeter and it's pretty clear from that there is a problem that needs to get addressed, but that was last year and I haven't gone in for the consultation. I need to do that.
Title: Re: Never trust anyone over 30
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 17, 2012, 05:40:00 am
Oh, if they tell me to take the machine, I'll use it, sure.

I'm just saying.

Life is wearing me down and I want answers.
Title: Re: Never trust anyone over 30
Post by: jay-ell on June 17, 2012, 01:20:22 pm
I went in for answers recently and got my thyroid meds increased by half. Good luck to you.

The difference between childhood and adulthood for me is basically that I am less afraid of death because I am more exhausted.

See, I am *more* afraid of death now, because who is going to do all this shit if I'm not here to worry about it?
Title: Re: Never trust anyone over 30
Post by: wombat on June 17, 2012, 01:31:24 pm
When one realizes that there is no one but themselves to figure shit out, that's when you're adult.

This is a good one.

You know, this is the good thing about marriage, if you pick someone who has usefully different talents. I have someone in the house to figure the computer shit out, and he has someone in the house to figure out a bunch of the shit that involves dealing with other human beings.
Title: Re: Never trust anyone over 30
Post by: AugustWest on June 17, 2012, 01:52:37 pm
I went in for answers recently and got my thyroid meds increased by half. Good luck to you.


I went in for answers recently and got threaded with cameras from both ends.  Eep.
Title: Re: Never trust anyone over 30
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 17, 2012, 03:10:10 pm
Oh, I'm going in for the whole overnight-observation schmear.

The "Full Vader" as my dad calls it.

It doesn't sound pleasant at all but, I mean, if my little bro could have his skull sawed open and his brains tinkered with and be back to his (awful) girlfriend's house in four days, I reckon I can sleep in Cooperstown with a bunch of wires taped to me. I can... probably handle it.
Title: Re: Never trust anyone over 30
Post by: jay-ell on June 17, 2012, 09:35:30 pm
I went in for answers recently and got threaded with cameras from both ends.  Eep.

My sympathies. My nine-year-old niece had to have this done last week as well, poor kiddo, and the worst part is they didn't even find anything.
Title: Re: Never trust anyone over 30
Post by: greenkoolayd on June 17, 2012, 11:03:36 pm
someone >30 will eff you over just as thoroughly.
Title: Re: Never trust anyone over 30
Post by: pmcd9 on June 17, 2012, 11:12:07 pm
My nine-year-old niece had to have this done last week as well, poor kiddo, and the worst part is they didn't even find anything.

Really, that's the worst part?
Title: Re: Never trust anyone over 30
Post by: jay-ell on June 18, 2012, 01:58:43 am
Well...yeah. We were kind of hoping for something clear-cut, minor, and treatable, so that they would be able to *do* something to make her feel better. When the answer is a collective "beats me" from the medical team, and the only answer is to "wait and see if she outgrows it," well, that's incredibly frustrating. Especially when she's missed a crapload of school (no pun intended) because she's got near-constant diarrhea.

Her dad has Crohn's, so we were pretty worried. I guess at least it's not that. Well, not that they can tell.
Title: Re: Never trust anyone over 30
Post by: doomglobe on September 24, 2012, 09:31:44 pm
The difference between a child and an adult is...


...


um...


Wait, can you repeat the question?
Title: Re: Never trust anyone over 30
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 24, 2012, 09:54:53 pm
The difference between a child and an adult is...

the difference is in who cleans up the toys, parent or significant other.