The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Arachno-capitalist on June 23, 2012, 12:25:17 pm

Title: What does Amazon say about you?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 23, 2012, 12:25:17 pm
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004U75SL0/ref=s9_simh_gw_p21_d8_g21_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=14CEY6Z2M4TWQKSEW9W5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

(http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41k63Vh8qVL._SX342_.jpg)
Amazon keeps throwing this at me and I don't know why. The rest of the suggestions are R programming books (thank you Mr.JL) and something called "Buffalo Bob's Wild Game Meat Snacks Variety Pack"

My question is this: What does Amazon think you want to buy?
Title: Re: What does Amazon say about you?
Post by: jay-ell on June 23, 2012, 02:43:01 pm
My Little Pony coloring books, Toy Story pajamas, a mozzarella cheese making kit, and body glitter. All quite reasonable, actually.
Title: Re: What does Amazon say about you?
Post by: wombat on June 23, 2012, 03:03:56 pm
A-Cap, Amazon knows you are a party person.

Amazon thinks I want to buy a lot of good dog training books, but unfortunately for them I already own many of them. It's way the hell off on its fiction reccs right now because I have been researching agents, which means I searched for a lot of books to see what kind of things a certain agent represented and then said "yuck, not right."

Can I yell about something else though? Amazon keeps sending me emails announcing a new book by an author I like and I see the subject line and I'm all "oh yeah I'll read that this weekend" and when I open the email I see it's a preorder for something that's not coming out for weeks. Stop leading me on, Amazon!
Title: Re: What does Amazon say about you?
Post by: linnea on June 23, 2012, 07:53:00 pm
For me, Amazon suggests the following:

PB2 lowfat peanut butter
Free & Clear dermatologist-recommended fragrance-free shampoo & conditioner
The Shins, Death Cab for Cutie, and Jack White
ebooks by Mark Twain, Robert Frost, and Shakespeare
Tassimo t-discs (because I am unlucky enough to own the Betamax of coffee makers)
HTC cell phone covers

I am boring.
Title: Re: What does Amazon say about you?
Post by: wombat on June 23, 2012, 08:06:59 pm
Amazon does better than other places. Today Facebook thought I wanted to play a Pot Farm game, and Gmail thought I wanted a recipe for spam fajitas.
Title: Re: What does Amazon say about you?
Post by: theinevitable on June 23, 2012, 10:24:47 pm
Amazon thinks I love anime and manga (??), books by that Creative Class guy I don't like, books about environmentalism, and books about film.
Title: Re: What does Amazon say about you?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 23, 2012, 10:51:34 pm
Facebook is currently asking me to drink no less than three different kinds of beer, buy a suit from Men's warehouse, and play a virtual slot machine game. Combined with Amazon's suggestions I could have hell of a party. All drinking a mountain of beer dressed as a hoss in a suit, munching on Bob Whatever's kangaroo jerky.
Title: Re: What does Amazon say about you?
Post by: jay-ell on June 23, 2012, 11:21:29 pm
Facebook is awful. It thinks I want to become a social worker, and it tries to convince me to do so by showing me pictures of hot goth women.
Title: Re: What does Amazon say about you?
Post by: miles on June 24, 2012, 01:54:52 am
My question is this: What does Amazon think you want to buy?

Well, I clicked the hoss head link earlier today and when I just now logged on it suggested this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0070QMUFA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p193_d0_g21_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1CBNR1B7NRMZ5TQ04EEA&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

(http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41cBl%2BaXXGL.jpg)

Also, there's a Godfather joke to be made with the hoss head. Somebody get on it.
Title: Re: What does Amazon say about you?
Post by: pmcd9 on June 24, 2012, 03:44:34 am
Amazon now thinks we all want that thing.
Title: Re: What does Amazon say about you?
Post by: jaydub on June 24, 2012, 04:51:50 am
Amazon is suggesting:

..and a box of 12 lacrosse balls on sale for $22..I might actually want to jump on that one, thats a good price.

Title: Re: What does Amazon say about you?
Post by: pmcd9 on June 24, 2012, 04:56:02 am


  • "Art Cars, the Artists, the Obsession, the Craft"

Good book. A friend of mine wrote it.
Title: Re: What does Amazon say about you?
Post by: wombat on June 24, 2012, 02:00:47 pm
My best internet friend who isn't one of you guys works designing products for the hoss and unicorn head company, so you all should buy one.
http://www.mcphee.com/shop/ (http://www.mcphee.com/shop/)
Title: Re: What does Amazon say about you?
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 24, 2012, 06:38:43 pm
Unicorn head/Mermaid tail two pack.

Your friend will be rich beyond all dreams of avarice with the above idea.

He or she can thank me later.
Title: Re: What does Amazon say about you?
Post by: nDed on June 25, 2012, 02:59:19 am
Amazon is telling me that I should work out more. It's probably right, to be honest.
Title: Re: What does Amazon say about you?
Post by: CortJstr on June 25, 2012, 02:05:41 pm
I've never received a non-shipping e-mail from Amazon but I found a recommendations page that seems to be all board games, a few albums I've already bought elsewhere, and some colored tags you put on power cords to identify the device on the other end.
Title: Re: What does Amazon say about you?
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 25, 2012, 02:14:33 pm
My theory with Coyne is less that he was ruined by success, though that's probably part of it, and more that he pushed the "drugs to help creativity" thing too far and burned out his creative centres as he knew them and... without that resource anymore, he's just kinda blindly stabbing at the zeitgeist, hoping to find something that'll stick. I mean, part of that is being addicted to the fame and maintain it, yeah, but I think it is more than JUST that.

What'd Marge Simpson's therapist say? "It's a rich tapestry"? Something like that.
Title: Re: What does Amazon say about you?
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 25, 2012, 02:20:18 pm
I...

This is totally the wrong thread.

Great.

Sleep deprivation so that I can actually fall asleep for my sleep apnea test tonight is not going well.
Title: Re: What does Amazon say about you?
Post by: jaydub on June 25, 2012, 04:44:19 pm
I have spent the last year with a CPAP.  I'm no longer in imminent danger of falling asleep on the way to work, my blood pressure is back to normal with no new meds, and I don't wake up with a headache anymore (or panic attacks at night).  The thing is a bit of a PITA, but I'm sold on it.
Title: Re: What does Amazon say about you?
Post by: wombat on June 25, 2012, 05:35:02 pm
You have an other set of figments dreamt up? You treacherous unfaithful donkey.

I'm pretty sure the guy is real. There's video! (http://www.hander#####.com/)

edit: Oh for pete's sake, now you'll never believe me, because of the damn FILTER.
Title: Re: What does Amazon say about you?
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 27, 2012, 01:14:18 pm
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004U75SL0/ref=s9_simh_gw_p21_d8_g21_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=14CEY6Z2M4TWQKSEW9W5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

(http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41k63Vh8qVL._SX342_.jpg)
Amazon keeps throwing this at me and I don't know why.

4chan tracking cookies
Title: Re: What does Amazon say about you?
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 27, 2012, 01:16:13 pm
My best internet friend who isn't one of you guys works designing products for the hoss and unicorn head company, so you all should buy one.
http://www.mcphee.com/shop/ (http://www.mcphee.com/shop/)

Goddamnit woman, why did you not tell me about this in 2010 when I had to make my own unicorn head? (I was the ***** Unicorn for halloween.)
Title: Re: What does Amazon say about you?
Post by: linnea on June 28, 2012, 03:32:01 am
I like how one of the selling points on the Unicorn head is
Title: Re: What does Amazon say about you?
Post by: wombat on June 28, 2012, 12:17:14 pm
Goddamnit woman, why did you not tell me about this in 2010 when I had to make my own unicorn head? (I was the ***** Unicorn for halloween.)

It didn't exist then, it is a brand new product. You were ahead of your time.