The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Bobby Isosceles on June 26, 2012, 09:14:43 am
-
ITT: post routines
upper/lower split variant of SS (http://www.crossfitfootball.com/uploads/football/image/DSC_0067.jpg)
M,W,F bench/OHP/weighted pull-up 3x5s
T,Th, (overload F) squats/DL/shrugs/power cleans 3x5s
weekend is for running
-
What's up, Moose? How's Midge these days?
-
What's up, Moose? How's Midge these days?
> implying i have read archie
i'm not moose, i'm zyzz, brah, u mirin?
-
SS = Starting Strength? Mark Rippetoe is boss.
I was doing Wendler's 5/3/1 for about 18months. Good program, got my weight up to 195. Now I'm training at Crossfit for conditioning to keep in shape for lacrosse. Playing against 20-somethings means I have to work hard off the field all the time.
-
I'll eventually plunk into 5/3/1 but I think I'm going to try Texas Method as an intermediate. Technically I shouldn't be doing splits but I have a unique window in which to workout (5:30-8am, daily) and I figure I can maximize gains by doing UB/LB splits instead of AxBxAxx/BxAxBxx days. At least I get push/pull on both days.
The SS forums, by the way, are a thing of beauty.
-
The only thing I see as a problem is this:
As I've gotten a touch of grey I find that bulk and burst strength build and maintain pretty easy but keeping up with the cardio to GOGOGO is a big investment. I've had to up my daily mileage just to keep up with the kids when they climb hills like billy-goddam-goats.
Plus, getting the blood pumping with a cardio plan seems to leave me with less soreness and impingement after I wave plates around. Acts like power flushing an engine, all getting the impurities out.
What do I know though. Different backgrounds and goals, I'm sure.
Whatever you do, get some.
I do an hour of cardio after my lifts every day. Usually the elliptical so I can work out the kinks from whatever muscle group I've worked that day. The weekend, however, is for just running, 8+ miles.
-
I drew tags for high elk this year. Keep that shit up and I'll fly your ass out to be my 9,000' porter come November.
Get me out of this current stall and I'll consider it. Had to deload on my quest to go ATG and now I'm benching and squatting 205. Shit ain't right.
-
At least you're squatting. Get the hip and ankle mobility where it needs to be and youu'll get ATG and some good poundage.
-
I'm thinking the issue is more with core than anything else (and will thus resolve itself in time). Ankle mobility is a big issue due to some major Achilles injuries in my past; right now my choices are
* sumo stance
* heels up on a 2.5lb plate
* Romaleos or some other sort of squat shoe
(right now I use NB Minimus; inb4 use chucks)
Current stats:
OHP stalled around 100-105 depending on whether I eat breakfast that day
Bench 205
HB ATG Squat 205 (to parallel 225, but I had to deload shortly thereafter)
DL 265
Weighted pullups, hammer grip, 20lb weight + whatever the chain weighs
-
This ain't no 4chan, dude.
-
I don't know what any of this means
-
As a wise man once said, "Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that."
-
This ain't no 4chan, dude.
There's a little /fit/ inside all of us, my son
-
(http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6no07dALP1rnepbwo1_500.jpg)
-
(http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6no07dALP1rnepbwo1_500.jpg)
oh jesus haploid christ that guy is the curlbroest curlbro that ever curled
Also, holy shit tempo training is hard.
-
N
-
N
?
-
?
Just answering the question.
-
Just answering the question.
You should, however.
OK - Negatives (aka eccentrics/overloads). What are pros and cons? Do they increase the ability to do a concentric or are they bull?
-
Supposedly its good for stimulating the growth of connective tissue, which might ultimately increase your capability for hypertrophy and power generation. Its also the mechanism that produces soreness, so if you're a masochist its probably delightful.
-
Supposedly its good for stimulating the growth of connective tissue, which might ultimately increase your capability for hypertrophy and power generation. Its also the mechanism that produces soreness, so if you're a masochist its probably delightful.
I'm trying to break through a bench plateau. 5RM @ 205, 3RM @215, so I loaded 225 and did a couple negatives on top of that
Next subject: Back-off sets, bullshit or no?
-
EDT is a nice plateau buster. One thing that frequently holds back gains in one movement is insufficient strength in the antagonistic area. Your body will tolerate a certain amount of imbalance, but its not good for long term shoulder health if your bench gets sufficiently far past your back strength. EDT, with its focus on complementary supersets and submaximal loading, can provide a good platform for additional max strength gains down the road.
-
You should, however.
OK, I'll bite. Why?
Right now I'm in the best physical condition of my life. I haven't touched a weight in at least five years. I'm very happy with where I am and with the progress I continue to make. So why should I?
-
What's your goal here, functional burst strength or what?
A back-off set is fine if you got the time. I like to drop to 75% of my max reps and blow out 10-12 reps and clear the pipes, big on form. Big. MAJOR.
I gave the weights the finger this morning and ran four miles. Feeling strong. Pondering a 10k.
I'm not so concerned about the explosiveness, but functional strength is good. I try to balance endurance and strength and power, so 5x5s seem to be good for me (I'm not awesome enough to get on 5/3/1 or Texas yet).
A little hypertrophy or a recomp wouldn't be a bad thing.
-
By all means, follow your own path. My own reason for continued weight training (other than for questionably advisable athletic purposes) is the loss of lean muscle mass associated with aging1, and a (negative) correlation between lean mass and catastrophic falls in old age. In other words, I'm working now for a healthier future2.
1Approx 1% per year after age 30
2http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22030953
-
By all means, follow your own path. My own reason for continued weight training (other than for questionably advisable athletic purposes) is the loss of lean muscle mass associated with aging1, and a (negative) correlation between lean mass and catastrophic falls in old age. In other words, I'm working now for a healthier future2.
1Approx 1% per year after age 30
2http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22030953
I am 100% with you. But I build my lean muscle mass with ashtanga/vinyasa yoga. I have had exponentially better results with it.
What am I missing by not lifting?
-
Since I returned to the weight room in 2008, I've added 15-18lbs of muscle mass (22lbs total). That's additional functional mass in the bank. I had spent the previous 11 years doing TKD and jujutsu 3-4 days/week to stay fit, but I realized my actual strength was declining, and when I got a caliper estimate of my bodyfat %, I was astonished to find it at 22%. At 29 I was 155 and about 10% bodyfat. At 39 I was 165 and 22% bodyfat. Despite gaining 10lbs on the scale, I had actually lost 10lbs of lean mass in 10 years, despite a pretty good program of fitness.