The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: AugustWest on August 10, 2012, 03:38:07 am

Title: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: AugustWest on August 10, 2012, 03:38:07 am
We doing football? 

Because it's almost time to get started.
Title: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: jaydub on August 13, 2012, 04:43:46 am
I'm in, if so...
Title: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: lprkn on August 13, 2012, 10:18:47 am
Me too! Even though I have no idea what I'm doing, as the fantasy baseball standings show.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 13, 2012, 06:13:30 pm
ok
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: AugustWest on August 13, 2012, 07:56:35 pm
DAMMIT!
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: miles on August 14, 2012, 02:17:30 am
Yup
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: AugustWest on August 14, 2012, 02:35:29 am
That makes 6, and I've got a RL friend who wants to try it.  And daughter Lucy would probably play if I asked.  Still we could use a couple more.

Any specific rule requests?
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: miles on August 14, 2012, 04:24:50 am
I think only four of us participated last year but I really enjoyed the live draft.

Where the fuck is Nabu?
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: jaydub on August 14, 2012, 04:39:57 am
I think real life reared back and let fly a massive kick to his nuts.  Hopefully he'll resurface soonish.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 15, 2012, 04:10:36 pm
I will play, poorly.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: AugustWest on August 19, 2012, 02:12:23 am
Hoooo-kaay.

Nate Small: One Tough Man is up and running.

League ID: 594388
Pw: Smuckles
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: lprkn on August 19, 2012, 07:37:05 am
How does this live draft thing work? Because it's scheduled for 3:17am my time. Can I just rank my picks or something ahead of time and let it auto-draft?

Never mind, I figured it out once I got the confirmation email.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 19, 2012, 01:01:47 pm
THA SUGAH RAIN has arrived to educate you fools on the ways of winning pretend football.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: jaydub on August 19, 2012, 05:29:08 pm
San Fran's Bitches have agreed to terms and reported to camp.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 30, 2012, 04:54:42 pm
Ooh, crap. I never joined. How many teams do you have at this point? If it's an even number, I don't want to screw it up at the last minute, but if it's an odd number I'll sign up straightaway.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: AugustWest on August 30, 2012, 05:16:34 pm
We're even right now.  If you can find a partner, you've still got an hour or so to join.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: Choop on August 30, 2012, 05:38:01 pm
what the hell, why not.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: jaydub on August 30, 2012, 05:55:56 pm
Did Nabu get in?  Its would be a strange season without the Venomous Monkeys.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: AugustWest on August 30, 2012, 06:02:22 pm
Well, now we need one more...
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: Choop on August 30, 2012, 06:07:06 pm
i messaged the mayor on the faceplace to make sure he gets in. if he doesn't, feel free to kick me out
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 30, 2012, 06:11:46 pm
Banana Town is in the hizzoose.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: Choop on August 30, 2012, 06:35:35 pm
(pwease dun huwt me)
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: jaydub on August 30, 2012, 06:37:48 pm
We doin' this thing?
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: AugustWest on August 30, 2012, 06:58:28 pm
Hokay.  Draft is now set for tomorrow, 8/31, at 2:00 pm EDT.

Buncha procrastinating troublemakers, Itellyawhat.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: Choop on August 30, 2012, 06:59:26 pm
hey what
i already set my dang rankings and what not because i thought the draft was ASAP
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: AugustWest on August 30, 2012, 07:06:37 pm
It kicked us out of our old time as soon as you joined.  We could do it later tonight, I guess, but it would have to be pretty late for me (~10) so I figured tomorrow would be better.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: Choop on August 30, 2012, 07:36:12 pm
shoot! sorry!
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: miles on August 31, 2012, 12:53:36 am
Hokay.  Draft is now set for tomorrow, 8/31, at 2:00 pm EDT.

2:00 PM on a weekday? Doesn't anybody work around here?
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: AugustWest on August 31, 2012, 05:54:18 pm
2:00 PM on a weekday? Doesn't anybody work around here?

Well, I'm at work.   Hell, it's the day before a 3 day weekend.  What do you expect?
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: AugustWest on August 31, 2012, 06:48:23 pm
Welp, the die is cast, the deed is done. 

Good luck to you all.  Except when you're playing me.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: lprkn on August 31, 2012, 07:34:02 pm
Good luck everyone! It'll probably help some of you that I have no idea what I'm doing.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: jaydub on September 10, 2012, 07:50:58 pm
Friggin Sanchez scores more on my bench than Brees does on the field, and Peterson isn't as banged up as the stat wonks led me to believe...
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: miles on September 11, 2012, 01:45:51 am
Vick, you fuck*ng asshole. Great game except for those FOUR fuck*ng INTERCEPTIONS. Dickbag.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: Choop on September 11, 2012, 08:31:29 pm
who the heck is w-t-jefe, is that el porkin? because thanks for not paying attention, else you prolly coulda beat me
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: lprkn on September 14, 2012, 01:25:16 am
who the heck is w-t-jefe, is that el porkin? because thanks for not paying attention, else you prolly coulda beat me

Yeah, that's me. I'm at a course in Arizona and pretty busy. And also clueless when it comes to fantasy anything that doesn't have elves.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: Choop on September 14, 2012, 04:05:34 am
hey jay cutler, fuck you too
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: jaydub on September 18, 2012, 09:03:43 pm
Check out the "recap" feature in Yahoo leagues. 
"The Venomous Monkeys benefited from 20.20 points from Roddy White, clobbering San Fran's Bitches 132.97 - 92.97. This was one of the biggest beatdowns to date, with the 40.00-point margin of victory being the fourth-highest recorded in the league this season. Drew Brees led San Fran's Bitches with 15.83 points while Patrick Willis brought in 9.50. The Venomous Monkeys (2-0, 269.90 points) shifts into fourth place while San Fran's Bitches (0-2, 216.06 points) goes to ninth place." (italics mine - the algorithm's got some teeth).
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: Choop on September 18, 2012, 09:24:38 pm
my recap (http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/f1/594388/recap?week=2&mid1=9&mid2=4) is as insane as my matchup. i'd be pissed as hell if i lost with 192 points. i was about to be pissed as hell, because i was about to lose with 193 points. manning just kept! going! to mcgahee!
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: jaydub on September 18, 2012, 10:48:20 pm
McGahee got an extra point later for his solo tackle (presumably on one of Peyton's picks).  Close indeed.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 19, 2012, 01:53:17 pm
Yeah, the auto-recap thing is pretty sweet. Saves me having to figure out stuff like that.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: Choop on September 20, 2012, 08:39:03 pm
Giants at Jaguars tonight, check your lineups.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: pmcd9 on September 29, 2012, 03:45:49 pm
I've been meaning to ask because I can't find an objective opinion here in Houston, but are the Texans as good as they seem to be? I realize we're only three weeks in, but they have mopped up the field on every opponent so far. They let Denver back into the game in the fourth quarter last weekend, but they were up by 20 at one point.

I'm turning to you for objectivity. A conservative opinion around these parts has them at least winning their division and most likely AFC champs.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 01, 2012, 01:46:28 pm
I haven't watched them this season, but from what I can tell from the standings: they've played a bunch of really bad teams so far. To their credit, they have beaten those teams soundly, which is what good teams are supposed to do. If they do NOT win their division going away, I will be really surprised. Now, what happens when they play an actual good team (in the regular season or more importantly in the playoffs)? It's one thing to whoop up on the hapless Colts in Andrew Luck's rookie season; quite another when you gotta go play Tom Brady and the Patriots, whether it be week 14 or for a spot in the Super Bowl. They have Green Bay and Baltimore coming up in successive weeks; see how they handle those games before assuming a conference championship is in the bag.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: miles on October 08, 2012, 02:56:03 am
Vick is on my can't cut list. So am I stuck with this dickbag all season or does it change?
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: Choop on October 08, 2012, 06:06:07 am
you can trade a can't-cut player, you just can't drop him.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: AugustWest on October 08, 2012, 07:30:33 pm
If he continues to suck bad enough, they will take him off the Can't Cut list eventually.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: jaydub on October 09, 2012, 08:35:17 pm
Grrrrr....agh.  Just barely edged me, Egg-man.  Andre Johnson can eat a bag of dicks after that lame-ass performance.  1/3 of his 2.75 points came from a tackle after an interception.  I can't blame Schaub for not throwing his way - one of the trainers must have filled his gloves with cement.  Twice as many drops as catches on Monday.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: AugustWest on October 10, 2012, 02:54:07 am
Grrrrr....agh.  Just barely edged me, Egg-man.  Andre Johnson can eat a bag of dicks after that lame-ass performance.  1/3 of his 2.75 points came from a tackle after an interception.  I can't blame Schaub for not throwing his way - one of the trainers must have filled his gloves with cement.  Twice as many drops as catches on Monday.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting to luck out and hang on to that lead. It was a pleasant surprise this morning!
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: miles on October 19, 2012, 05:37:37 am
Shit, I shouldn't have even bothered to bench Vick this week. fuck*ng Seahawks receivers. Wilson finally looks good all night and they can't catch a fuck*ng ball.

I need to get rid of him. I didn't like Ponder and Wilson was the next best option when I dropped him, but man has he been a disappointment. While Ponder has actually done pretty well.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: miles on October 23, 2012, 03:59:33 am
FINA-fuck*ng-LLY. I win a match. It only took my opponent leaving three spots on his roster blank. Thank you TSR.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: jaydub on October 23, 2012, 04:40:57 pm
I demolished a zombie team too.  Le-porkin must be busy soldiering.  Or Marine-ing anyway.  I'll get to see whether ACAP is paying attention this week.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: jaydub on October 29, 2012, 04:48:03 pm
Wow, Jay Cutler with 2 lost fumbles and a pick.  Less than -11 points. Good thing A-CAP had him on the bench.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: jaydub on October 29, 2012, 05:35:26 pm
I'm involved in another league that has much lamer scoring than ours.  Quarterbacks routinely have point values 2-3x the other positions picks and fumbles aren't penalized enough, and DEF scoring is relatively insensitive; a team can allow 30+ points and still get a modest score, and a lights out day isn't rewarded as it should.   Plus no individual D players. I play both, but I care about ours more.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 29, 2012, 06:53:47 pm
I've seen defenses end up with high fantasy scores despite being lousy IRL when special teams return yards are included. If you're returning 10 kickoffs in a game, you're going to rack up those return yards.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: jaydub on October 29, 2012, 09:48:32 pm
I didn't realize return yards went to the DEF!  The player gets yards and TDs awarded for returns, it seems redundant to give them to the Defense as well (blocking notwithstanding; the RB gets all the rushing yard glory and the line doesn't even appear in the game!).  That looks like what is in play in my other league. Tennessee DEF is ranked #8 despite having given up the most points against because they have the second highest amount of return yards (Cleveland.  Another defensive powerhouse).  That is a terrible stat.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: jaydub on November 07, 2012, 12:05:09 am
Who'll trade me a decent Wide Receiver for the Denver defense?  The Mayor's gonna whup me with his all-star roster at this point.  This is my first week above .500 and I'd prefer its not my last...
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: jaydub on November 07, 2012, 03:37:08 am
I like Crabtree better, but I think Moore is going to earn more points this year.  Palmer's hucking the ball all over the place, and their running game just went into the shitter with McFadden's ankle injury.  The Niners are clearly run-first at this point, and I expect most of their TDs will come that way.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: jaydub on November 08, 2012, 07:02:42 pm
Does that mean Denarius Moore is off the table?
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: miles on November 11, 2012, 08:21:11 pm
Yahoo! Fantasy Football Is Down

"And as you might expect, there are plenty of people with first world problems that are incredibly pissed off. (http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/yahoo-fantasy-football-down/)"
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: jaydub on November 11, 2012, 09:43:14 pm
Looks like they need more hamsters.  It was slow last week too.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: miles on November 12, 2012, 12:45:41 am
So I'm 10 points behind. I have Urlacher playing tonight, and my opponent has the Chicago defense. So I need Houston to score as many points as possible, not turn over the ball, like at all, but I also need Urlacher to make a ton of solo tackles and sacks. I basically need him to be the only competent component of Chicago's defense tonight. If that happens, I have a chance.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: miles on November 12, 2012, 01:15:12 am
A tie? What the fuck is this, football? No, I mean the other football.
Title: Re: 2012 Football - EggMan Volunteers to Commish
Post by: jaydub on November 14, 2012, 02:21:50 am
Crabtree had a better day than I was expecting - but Moore edged him in points.  Looks like the trade we made was for the right guy.  You might have wanted to start that D I traded you though, they were more than twice as good as the Jets.