The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: side_show on September 13, 2012, 08:11:11 pm

Title: The Restaurant Name Thread
Post by: side_show on September 13, 2012, 08:11:11 pm
I was thinking about this, I would like to go to a restaurant called "The Bone and The Marrow."  Gosh, I love meat on the bone and sucking the bone marrow out of a lamb shank is like heaven.

Anyway, what are the best real and imagined restaurant names?
Title: Re: The Restaurant Name Thread
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 13, 2012, 08:45:34 pm
I don't know that I've ever had a good restaurant name, but I do know that if I had a restaurant, it's tag line/slogan, printed at the bottom of the menu and appearing in all advertising, would be "Eat food (it's good)."

"The Trough" would be a good name. George Carlin once proposed a restaurant especially for bulimics, to be called either "The Scarf 'n' Barf" or "The Fork and Bucket."
Title: Re: The Restaurant Name Thread
Post by: jaydub on September 13, 2012, 09:56:09 pm
There was a place in Walnut Creek who's name escapes me at the moment - really good hamburgers though - which was memorable for a gigantic mural of a bald, muscular short order cook snarling, "You'll eat it, and you'll like it!"  It was on Main Street a short walk from where I worked a summer job and I'd go in there a few days a week.  Don't know if its still there.  Maybe Google Street View will help..

Nope, it's a pub now.  The SuperCuts where I had the summer job is still there though.
Title: Re: The Restaurant Name Thread
Post by: wombat on September 13, 2012, 09:59:51 pm
There is a Chinese place in DC called Full Yum.
Title: Re: The Restaurant Name Thread
Post by: theinevitable on September 13, 2012, 10:11:22 pm
I am really ups because my favorite STL place changed their name from "John Donut" to "John's Donuts."

Also a big fan of U City Grill and Hoagie City Diner. Which are both Korean restaurants.
Title: Re: The Restaurant Name Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 13, 2012, 11:39:58 pm
theres a cutie-assed home cookins place up the street here called The Special Place.  kinda charming, yet yawn-y.
Title: Re: The Restaurant Name Thread
Post by: side_show on September 14, 2012, 12:06:12 am
Early on in our relationship, hubby and I went on a date to a pub/restaurant called The Cock and Muscle.  I know it closed years ago, but I just googled my city and the restaurant name out of nostalgia, and all I got was a bunch of personal ads for gay sex.
Title: Re: The Restaurant Name Thread
Post by: Choop on September 14, 2012, 12:09:16 am
I was pipe dreaming about hitting the lotto and thought up the name Revel for a high-end southern food restaurant. House-made charcuterie, super-crispy fried chicken, biscuits, desserts, and all that jazz. So then I googled it and of course there are already restaurants and resorts with that name.
Title: Re: The Restaurant Name Thread
Post by: nDed on September 14, 2012, 01:10:29 am
Early on in our relationship, hubby and I went on a date to a pub/restaurant called The Cock and Muscle.  I know it closed years ago, but I just googled my city and the restaurant name out of nostalgia, and all I got was a bunch of personal ads for gay sex.

Did you mean The Cock and Mussel? Because I would not expect to walk into a place called The Cock and Muscle and not see at least one dude showing off one or the other.

Wienerschnitzel restaurants are built on a foundation of lies and deceit.
Title: Re: The Restaurant Name Thread
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 14, 2012, 01:17:05 am
Cock and Mussel?
Cock and Mussel?
Not alive, oh, not alive?
Title: Re: The Restaurant Name Thread
Post by: side_show on September 14, 2012, 12:42:48 pm
Ah yes, I stand corrected:  Cock and Mussel Pub comes up with only one sad search result related to the old place, and none of the fun gay sex personals.

A popular place to go round here is Baked Expectations - a huge double case of cakes, cheese cakes and other baked goods provides serious food porn for diners.
Title: Re: The Restaurant Name Thread
Post by: theinevitable on September 14, 2012, 04:52:09 pm
There is a place here that people love called Blood and Sand and I can't stop imagining that it is a corny pirate-themed place.
Title: Re: The Restaurant Name Thread
Post by: CortJstr on September 19, 2012, 06:42:47 pm
I think Baked & Wired has way a better product than Georgetown Cupcake in addition to the better name.

There's a chicken place near me called Pio Pio (spanish for "tweet tweet"). It makes me want to open a steakhouse called Moo.
Title: Re: The Restaurant Name Thread
Post by: AugustWest on September 19, 2012, 07:07:04 pm
FǛD
Title: Re: The Restaurant Name Thread
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 19, 2012, 07:23:23 pm
I was going to say "That's been done" and link to this:
http://eater.com/archives/2012/05/24/heres-a-fantastic-fake-twee-brooklyn-restaurant-menu.php

But upon googling I see it's an actual restaurant in Kansas City, so I'm guessing you've been there, or at least were aware of it.
Title: Re: The Restaurant Name Thread
Post by: AugustWest on September 19, 2012, 07:49:48 pm
I was going to say "That's been done" and link to this:
http://eater.com/archives/2012/05/24/heres-a-fantastic-fake-twee-brooklyn-restaurant-menu.php

But upon googling I see it's an actual restaurant in Kansas City, so I'm guessing you've been there, or at least were aware of it.

I thought it was a Simpsons gag.
Title: Re: The Restaurant Name Thread
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 19, 2012, 07:51:32 pm
http://www.eatfud.com/
Title: Re: The Restaurant Name Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on September 19, 2012, 08:28:54 pm
It makes me want to open a steakhouse called Moo.

It makes me want to take a flamethrower to the building.
Title: Re: The Restaurant Name Thread
Post by: side_show on September 20, 2012, 12:44:31 am
We've got a place called Fude  (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fude.ca%2F&ei=W2ZaUN6RA8LCyQHR64HQDw&usg=AFQjCNGYoIIzWOg0gUXG9uoePAP6EjTVgQ)here.  It's sort of "meh."  My hubby's old roommate who wanted to be a chef used to work there, which... knowing his lack of interest in hygiene... made me much less inspired to eat there.  That was a decade ago now though, and the place is still there, so I suppose that says something.
Title: Re: The Restaurant Name Thread
Post by: theinevitable on September 20, 2012, 05:28:57 am
Wow, but, chickens don't say tweet tweet!