The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: pmcd9 on September 28, 2012, 07:14:03 pm

Title: Mixdisc 2012
Post by: pmcd9 on September 28, 2012, 07:14:03 pm
Been listening to a lot of mixdisc lately. Some of the mixdisc I've collected from you fine people through the years are among my favorite albums.

Today specifically I am listening to "A Mix CD Todd Found in a Dumpster and Hung On To" compiled by Limmo. I'm enjoying it so much it makes me think it's time we had another TOUAMB mixdisc exchange. I'm gonna get started on mine right away.

Who's with me?
Title: Re: What are you listening to?
Post by: AugustWest on September 29, 2012, 02:19:22 am
I got stacks of 'em around.  I make a bout 1 a month for the truck.
Title: Re: What are you listening to?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 29, 2012, 03:27:47 am
I do mine at the end of the year. I can agree to an exchange, but you won't get mine for three months.
Title: Re: Mixdisc 2012
Post by: pmcd9 on October 02, 2012, 09:31:50 pm
Okay, I'm just about ready to do this.

I've decided to give y'all a selection.

I'm not going to tell you what's on the disc, but you can choose from the list below based on the name I've given to the mix and when I put it together.

1 What's Happening Now (Jan. 2001)
2 Blue Guitars Caught Up in a Philosophical Discussion (May 2002)
3 The Brightly Lit Room (Dec 2002)
4 Rumpelstiltskin (Feb 2004)
5 Songs My Mama Taught Me To Love (Jul 2004)
6 Audiobiography (Jul 2006)
7 Nationalism (Dec 2006)
8 No News, No New Regrets (Feb 2010)
9 I Know I Would Die If I Could Come Back New (Jul 2010)
10 Texas Toast (Mar 2012)
11 Hey Nineteen (Feb 2011)
12 My Sweet Side (Oct 2012)

Make your selection and send me your address. I do this US Mail style! No reciprocation necessary, so if you are lame I'll still send you a disc.
Title: Re: Mixdisc 2012
Post by: wombat on October 02, 2012, 10:09:40 pm
I would love to get these, but I don't think I have another mixdisc in me right now. Would you trade for something else, if I can think of something amusing?
Title: Re: Mixdisc 2012
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 03, 2012, 02:20:13 am
Man, police truck is just the greatest fuck*ng song, no?
Title: Re: What are you listening to?
Post by: pmcd9 on October 03, 2012, 02:31:22 am
Chris Ledoux - Rodeo Song (Piss Me Off)

That song is a cover. I've only ever heard the original (http://youtu.be/utRtwIY0YaM). If you want to listen to Chris Ledoux this (http://youtu.be/vQPRFqWPWgE) is the gold standard.
Title: Re: What are you listening to?
Post by: pmcd9 on October 03, 2012, 04:50:47 am
I do mine at the end of the year. I can agree to an exchange, but you won't get mine for three months.

C'mon Carlos, let go. You can put together a special TOUAMB mix. Free yourself from the usual rules you've placed upon yourself. Just wing it.
Title: Re: Mixdisc 2012
Post by: pmcd9 on October 03, 2012, 02:52:31 pm
I hear you on Ledoux, I'm pretty familiar.

You'll ride a black tornado acrost a western sky...
Title: Re: Mixdisc 2012
Post by: pmcd9 on October 03, 2012, 05:00:57 pm
I ain't got any PM's so I guess nobody wants my mixdisc.

Here's a cover gallery...
(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8179/8050915122_5aaaba8d72_c.jpg)
Title: Re: Mixdisc 2012
Post by: pmcd9 on October 03, 2012, 09:38:25 pm
That looks exciting.
Title: Re: Mixdisc 2012
Post by: AugustWest on October 04, 2012, 01:46:48 am
I would love to get these, but I don't think I have another mixdisc in me right now. Would you trade for something else, if I can think of something amusing?

Absolutely.  Send me something amusing and I'll send you a mixdisx.
Title: Re: Mixdisc 2012
Post by: pmcd9 on October 04, 2012, 02:39:26 am
Absolutely.  Send me something amusing and I'll send you a mixdisx.

Oh no, you gotta choose.
Title: Re: Mixdisc 2012
Post by: pmcd9 on October 04, 2012, 08:44:45 pm
Okay Ash, your mix is in the mail.
Title: Re: What are you listening to?
Post by: miles on October 06, 2012, 05:40:42 pm
If you want to listen to Chris Ledoux this (http://youtu.be/vQPRFqWPWgE) is the gold standard.

That's pretty badass.
Title: Re: What are you listening to?
Post by: pmcd9 on October 06, 2012, 06:07:24 pm
That's pretty badass.

I know, that's like weapons grade hokey.

Also, Wombat, your mix has been shipped. Hope you enjoy.  August, I'm not going to send you anything unless you choose.
Title: Re: What are you listening to?
Post by: AugustWest on October 06, 2012, 09:19:39 pm
I know, that's like weapons grade hokey.

Also, Wombat, your mix has been shipped. Hope you enjoy.  August, I'm not going to send you anything unless you choose.


Jeez, H.L. Mencken was right.  At first I was like, "This is satire, right?"  Then I read the YouTube comments.  If you value your faith in humanity you should never read YouTube comments. 

Choose what?  Something amusing?  I...I... don't understand what I'm supposed to do here.
Title: Re: What are you listening to?
Post by: miles on October 06, 2012, 09:27:02 pm
I know, that's like weapons grade hokey.

I love the spoken verses. Also, I feel that the hat is a metaphor... for what I'm not sure.
Title: Re: What are you listening to?
Post by: pmcd9 on October 07, 2012, 01:43:45 am
Choose what?  Something amusing?  I...I... don't understand what I'm supposed to do here.

There is an element of humor in all of my mixes (I hope). There are 12 to choose from.
Title: Re: What are you listening to?
Post by: AugustWest on October 07, 2012, 02:21:19 am
There is an element of humor in all of my mixes (I hope). There are 12 to choose from.

Can I have two?
Title: Re: What are you listening to?
Post by: AugustWest on October 11, 2012, 08:03:52 pm
Can I have two?

I'll send you two!
Title: Re: What are you listening to?
Post by: pmcd9 on October 11, 2012, 09:37:30 pm
I'll send you two!

You can have all 12 if you like.
Title: Re: What are you listening to?
Post by: pmcd9 on October 15, 2012, 07:37:03 pm
I know, that's like weapons grade hokey.

Even Lee Greenwood is all like "dude, dial it back a notch?"
Title: Re: What are you listening to?
Post by: pmcd9 on October 15, 2012, 07:38:01 pm
The name of my 12th disc has changed. It's now "A Squonk's Tears."

August, have you made your choice yet?
Title: Re: What are you listening to?
Post by: AugustWest on October 16, 2012, 04:36:05 am
The name of my 12th disc has changed. It's now "A Squonk's Tears."

August, have you made your choice yet?

How about numbers 5 and 11.

Hokey, you say? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zoTLwrm9QE)
Title: Re: What are you listening to?
Post by: pmcd9 on October 16, 2012, 05:01:35 am
Hokey, you say? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zoTLwrm9QE)

It's been a good long while since I heard that jam.
Title: Re: Mixdisc 2012
Post by: pmcd9 on October 18, 2012, 12:31:05 am
Okay Ash, your mix is in the mail.

Ash, you should have gotten something by now.
Title: Re: Mixdisc 2012
Post by: pmcd9 on October 18, 2012, 02:20:05 pm
Thank you Paul, I certainly did. I am trying to reciprocate but life is in the way. I promise to get to you and the rest fairly shortly.

No reciprocation necessary. Well, I do want you to tell me my disc mixing skills are unmatched... and say nice things about my dick.
Title: Re: Mixdisc 2012
Post by: pmcd9 on October 27, 2012, 06:14:03 am
August, Wombat, did you receive your disc?
Title: Re: Mixdisc 2012
Post by: wombat on October 27, 2012, 12:38:52 pm
I did, thanks! I only got a chance to start listening to it. Apparently I am such a modern person I don't have a good setup to listen to CDs anymore. But I am also a person who keeps buying an mp3 player that's so tiny that I keep losing it and buying a new one. So I have a bunch of copying to do before I can listen to stuff. I need to have a better system.
Title: Re: Mixdisc 2012
Post by: jaydub on October 31, 2012, 03:32:40 pm
Wombat's pugs rock out on their purloined Shuffles when no one is home.
Title: Re: Mixdisc 2012
Post by: AugustWest on November 01, 2012, 03:18:19 am
August, Wombat, did you receive your disc?

Got 'em today!  They look great!  Give me a chance to listen and I'll post feedback.
Title: Re: Mixdisc 2012
Post by: pmcd9 on November 02, 2012, 08:50:44 pm
This (http://www.youtube-mp3.org/) has me committing ethical and moral heiniosities.

Holy crap, we've needed something like that for a long time.
Title: Re: Mixdisc 2012
Post by: pmcd9 on November 02, 2012, 11:26:01 pm
Got 'em today!  They look great!  Give me a chance to listen and I'll post feedback.

Along with vol. 5 and 11 I also included vol. 12 because they are a trilogy of sorts. Vol. 5 is good songs that I listened to as a child. My mother has very good taste in music. Vol. 11 is a playlist of songs that I dug when I was a teenager, hence the name. It's a bit of a red herring because there's no Steely Dan on there. You'll find the Dan on Vol. 12, which is songs that I liked when I was a tween. even though we didn't have such as tweens when I was that age.

That mix, vol. 12 was inspired by a remembrance from that time period.  I spent most Friday nights at Little York Lanes, a bowling alley. That's where I developed my love of pinball by the way, which is poignant because as soon as I finish this post I am going to leave for the Annual pinball expo. My folks bowled in a league on Fridays and we kids ran wild in and out of the alleys. For awhile there was a heavy equipment storage yard next door to the alley. Once or twice a friend and I would go snooping around over there. We climbed inside the machinery and pretended to be soldiers (I hadn't discovered super heroes yet).

One night we climbed inside of a huge front end loader/shovel machine and discovered the key was in it. I turned the key on and nothing happened. Then I discovered the starter button. I pushed it and the machine fired right up. We were smart enough, or lucky enough that we didn't push it into gear because we surely would not have known how to push it out of gear and would have crashed. But we did move the shovel up and down.

That memory has nothing to do with music, but one memory led me to another. Right across the street from the bowling alley was a Globe Department Store and that's where I bought my first records. I don't remember which one was the very first, but among them was Rikki Don't Lose That Number by Steely Dan, Keep on Smiling by Wet Willie, Brother Louie by Stories... So when I put together the mix I decided to Focus on songs from that period for the most part.
Title: An Hegelian Analysis of the Three Mixdiscs Paul Sent Me.
Post by: AugustWest on November 19, 2012, 07:58:11 pm
By Your Pal August

Hegel said Thesis + Antithesis = Synthesis, right?  That's what we have here.

I'm not sure which is thesis and which is antithesis, but the first two mixes represent the two opposing sides of Paul's musical heritage.  They combine to produce his mature musical taste as represented in the third mix.

Mix #5, Songs my Mama Taught me to Love, is pretty.  Mostly softer, fluffier songs with lovely vocal harmonies.  Perhaps a little overly sweet, as you can only expect from Mama music.  There's a little bit of comedy in there, but it's light-hearted, kid friendly parody.  Overall, nice to listen to, but not an edge to be found throughout.

Mix #11, Hey Nineteen, on the the other hand, is all edges.  Metal.  Stadium Rock.  Lust, anger and testosterone.  Even the comedy bits are hard-edged and sexually charged.  Mama don't allow no mixdiscs like this 'round here.

Finally, the synthesis of the two extremes, Mix #12, A Squonk's Tears, represents the best of both worlds.  There's some sweet music, but there's a spine underneath.  There's some stuff that rocks, but the overblown swagger is replaced with knowing musical maturity.  There's solo songs from all four Beatles!  Utopia!  All kinds of great stuff.

Verrrry Nice, Paul.  Very Nice.

Printed out my liner notes today, will be dropping discs in the mail tomorrow.  Please PM me an up to date address if it's changed.
Title: Re: Mixdisc 2012
Post by: pmcd9 on November 20, 2012, 04:05:20 am
Thanks August, that was a sweet review. If there's one thing my Mother loves it's good singing. I would have included Queen in that mix because she loves Freddy Mercury, but I turned her on to Queen, not the other way around.
Title: Re: Mixdisc 2012
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 20, 2012, 09:03:44 pm
At long last, I have completed the 2012 bigfool.com year-end mix CD, "Destructo-Wagon."

1. Divine Fits “Would That Not Be Nice”
2. Tennis ”Origins”
3. Freelance Whales “Spitting Image”
4. Fly Moon Royalty “The Birthday Song”
5. Hot Chip “Let Me Be Him”
6. The Roots, "Lighthouse"
7. JD McPherson “North Side Gal”
8. Father John Misty “Only Son of the Ladies Man”
9. Cold Specks, “Winter Solstice”
10. Pinback “Proceed to Memory”
11. Line & Circle “Roman Ruins”
12. The Gaslight Anthem, “Desire”
13. The Decemberists “This is Why We Fight”
14. Avett Brothers “February Seven”
15. The Head and the Heart “Down in the Valley”
16. Elliott Brood “If I Get Old”
17. Band of hosss “Electric Music”
18. Silversun Pickups “Mean Spirits”
19. Japandroids “Continuous Thunder”

Spotify playlist: http://t.co/hI4Izkzi

Download (complete with cover art):
ftp.bigfool.com
user name: bigfoo_guest
password: R0X0rz!

Want to swap one of your discs for a physical copy? Lemmee know.
Title: Re: Mixdisc 2012
Post by: lprkn on December 22, 2012, 02:11:51 am
Thanks Mayor, I always like these.
Title: Re: Mixdisc 2012
Post by: pmcd9 on December 22, 2012, 03:48:58 am
Damn and hell yes!
Title: Re: Mixdisc 2012
Post by: pmcd9 on December 24, 2012, 08:43:03 am
At long last, I have completed the 2012 bigfool.com year-end mix CD, "Destructo-Wagon."

1. Divine Fits “Would That Not Be Nice”
2. Tennis ”Origins”
3. Freelance Whales “Spitting Image”
4. Fly Moon Royalty “The Birthday Song”
5. Hot Chip “Let Me Be Him”
6. The Roots, "Lighthouse"
7. JD McPherson “North Side Gal”
8. Father John Misty “Only Son of the Ladies Man”
9. Cold Specks, “Winter Solstice”
10. Pinback “Proceed to Memory”
11. Line & Circle “Roman Ruins”
12. The Gaslight Anthem, “Desire”
13. The Decemberists “This is Why We Fight”
14. Avett Brothers “February Seven”
15. The Head and the Heart “Down in the Valley”
16. Elliott Brood “If I Get Old”
17. Band of hosss “Electric Music”
18. Silversun Pickups “Mean Spirits”
19. Japandroids “Continuous Thunder”

Heck of a fine mix!
Title: Re: Mixdisc 2012
Post by: pmcd9 on October 16, 2013, 03:11:55 am
It's taken more than 120 days for Side Show to gestate a kick ass mixdisc! She drew a picture of a beaver on the disc. Classy. Sure had a hard time figuring out your hand writing. In almost every case I had to check against google, but I got it.

Thanks for the mix. It's really cool!