The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: theinevitable on December 11, 2012, 12:11:48 am

Title: DYEM?
Post by: theinevitable on December 11, 2012, 12:11:48 am
I got this book (http://www.amazon.com/Mindfulness-Plain-English-20th-Anniversary/dp/0861719069) from the library and am really digging it. Anyone ever try to get into meditation? The stuff he is saying about learning to accept life as it is, and accept your emotions as part of being a human without letting them control you, etc, really resonates with me right now. I have not gotten to a part where he talks about how to meditate, though. But he describes vipassana meditation as being about understanding yourself and the world as they really are, rather than meditating on eternal truths or whatever, which seems great.

It is also making me wonder if Buddhism has had a big influence on cultural studies/anthropology. What he is saying is bringing back a lot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habitus_(sociology)) of stuff from school. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schema_(psychology))
Title: Re: DYEM?
Post by: miles on December 11, 2012, 03:11:36 am
Damn, I thought this thread was going to be about masturbation. And I'd've been all "Y!"
Title: Re: DYEM?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 11, 2012, 01:55:49 pm
Yes, I do eat meat.
The possibilities are endless.