The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Asherdan on January 03, 2013, 12:55:29 am
-
(http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--k5m636Zb--/m5dvkzj95cd6xl0k4nnx.gif)
-
OH MAN.
My mom's meatloaf recipe looks like a culinary horror show, but it is DELICIOUS. And almost completely nutritionally unredeeming.
1 lb ground round
1 small onion, minced
2 -3 stalks of celery, diced
5 - 6 slices of pasty white bread, diced or torn into smallish pieces
1 beaten egg
1 tsp Worchestershire sauce
enough A-1 to moisten up the whole thing, about 1T I'd guess
salt and pepper to taste
Mush everything together and throw it in a loaf pan. Throw it in the oven for twenty or so at a temperature hot enough to cook the meat most of the way through. Then -- and here's the part that makes Pedro's eyes pop out of his head when he sees me do it -- pop open a can of Cream of Mushroom soup and pour that sucker right over the top. Right on there. Smooth it out with a spoon and make sure none of the loaf is showing underneath. Then throw it back in the oven and keep baking for another ten to twenty, 'til the soup is bubbly and forms a nice brown skin on top.
Yeah, it looks like cat vomit, but serve it up with some green beans and you're set. Makes a great knife-and-fork sandwich the next day, too.
Shit, I haven't made me any of that jazz in *years*. It's the right time of year for it, though -- gonna have to break it out again soon.
-
Ooo, good idea. I can't really cook with this stupid cast on, but this is the sort of thing the Tech Staff will be easy to persuade about.
-
I just make a standard loaf of beef and onions and such as mushrooms with some spices in a tall casserole, and pour in a couple cans of green beans and their liquid. cook it at like 350 and it's done at 160, so take it out at 155. take out the loaf from the juice and strain the beans out too, and you can just put some potatoes on that plate with those guys and you're good to go.
-
I've never made a loaf of meat, but I am now inspired to do so.
Will report back with results.
-
TV shows/commercials always seem to hate on meatloaf, but i have never eaten a bad one. my mom goes the CoMS-route.
next time youre in SLC, Bayleaf*("bar and grub"-24 hours breakfast and southern/soulfood faves) makes a kickass ML wrapped in bacon.
*there are lots of negative reviews on yelp, but when i was there this past october it was a pretty rad place. my lady, our friends and i all got good foods with mostly good service.
-
I haven't made loaf of meat in a while--my wife makes it from time to time, usually with the Lipton onion soup mix recipe.
I've made this one in the past and found it quite enjoyable. Ash will likely dismiss it as too foofy, what with ground turkey and sun-dried tomatoes, but really, it's good.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Turkey-Meat-Loaf-with-Sun-Dried-Tomatoes-1560
-
Sun dried tomatoes are bitchin'.
Yeah, sun dried tomatoes are fuck*ng rad!
-
TV shows/commercials always seem to hate on meatloaf, but i have never eaten a bad one. my mom goes the CoMS-route.
next time youre in SLC, Bayleaf*("bar and grub"-24 hours breakfast and southern/soulfood faves) makes a kickass ML wrapped in bacon.
*there are lots of negative reviews on yelp, but when i was there this past october it was a pretty rad place. my lady, our friends and i all got good foods with mostly good service.
Bayleaf is great. Just about everything I've had there was great. But the house burger was terrible. So I'm not surprised there are bad reviews. I agree though, the bacon wrapped meatloaf is really good.
-
I couldn't give you an exact recipe cause I season by eye. But I normally do something like this:
1.5 - 2 pounds ground beef
1 medium onion grated
1 egg
Italian bread crumbs
parmasean cheese
decent squirt of giraffe sauce
decent squirt of worcestershire
salt
pepper
dried parsley
other herbs to taste as available
knead together and slam into pan, top with ketchup, heinz 57, chili sauce, bbq sauce, or whathaveyou. bake until done.
-
I can't eat meatloaf. I can barely eat burgers, and a huge burger-slab with not even a bun to disguise it would not make it down my gullet. Everybody is all going on about how meatloaf is so delicious, i just cannot do it. glad you guys are having fun though. Wombat, what happened to your hand? I don't remember hearing about a cast until now, am I just forgetful and losing my mind?
-
I broke my wrist. If you missed it, I have not been whining about it loudly all over the internet as much as I thought I have? It was not a pug related injury, which would have made a better story and would have been great material for the blog. Instead sadly I fell while ice skating.
We are hoping to have meatloaf today, but only if the Tech Staff finishes setting up the new computer we had to buy because he couldn't resurrect the old desktop that was killed by Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra. I actually managed to make pancakes this morning but I am not going to to making meatloaf with one and a half hands.
-
I broke my wrist. If you missed it, I have not been whining about it loudly all over the internet as much as I thought I have? It was not a pug related injury, which would have made a better story and would have been great material for the blog. Instead sadly I fell while ice skating.
We are hoping to have meatloaf today, but only if the Tech Staff finishes setting up the new computer we had to buy because he couldn't resurrect the old desktop that was killed by Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra. I actually managed to make pancakes this morning but I am not going to to making meatloaf with one and a half hands.
rad idea to put your gimpy wrist in the game. when he's back in full effect it wont be that hard to get back in the swing of things.
-
If I could get a rubber glove over my hand I could do more, but I am afraid of getting food gunk on the cast and not being able to wash it off and having it festering for the next two weeks. It's already disturbing how much the dog likes to lick that hand, obviously because it's not getting washed well enough.
-
A special bonus of finally getting the cast off is the waxy orangish crumbs of shed skin trapped between your arms and the cast. Truly a remarkable aroma.
-
They warned me about that. Part of what the dogs are enjoying is the shedding skin not getting washed off my knuckles right near the cast. Who knew what a huge amount of bodily resources are wasted on making skin.
But maybe we shouldn't talk about this here and spoil everyone's appetite for meatloaf.
-
Hmm, so leaving the Tech Staff to make the meatloaf is kind of a bad idea. We'll have to try that again in a couple of weeks.
-
I have not done a meatloaf yet, but I did cook a fuck*ng steak.