The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: theinevitable on January 04, 2013, 09:06:21 pm

Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: theinevitable on January 04, 2013, 09:06:21 pm
My roommates' band is described as "from the food deserts of McRee Town, South St. Louis" on the site selling their tape.
We do not live in that neighborhood, and that whole statement makes me feel a little gross. They say they don't know why they are described that way.

I guess "a bunch of washU grads from the lush gardens of Shaw" doesn't sound very rock and roll.
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: pmcd9 on January 04, 2013, 11:12:31 pm
Wait. Are they really selling a tape?

I've got a great Wilco bootleg where Tweety says "Our new album is only going to be released as sheet music."
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: wombat on January 05, 2013, 12:24:20 am
You know Beck just actually did that. (http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/want-to-play-becks--new-album-youll-have-to-do-it-yourself-8374216.html)

The remark is cute, actually doing it is unbearably pretentious.
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: theinevitable on January 05, 2013, 01:00:29 am
Yeah, their basement-recorded EP is available as a tape or online for free. "Real" album will be on something normal. Probably cd and vinyl.
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: AugustWest on January 05, 2013, 01:45:05 pm
Yeah, their basement-recorded EP is available as a tape or online for free. "Real" album will be on something normal. Probably cd and vinyl.

Do they get offended when people call them insufferably pretentious?  Or is there a non-pretentious reason to release music on a cassette that I'm missing?
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 05, 2013, 03:20:02 pm
Oh, I guess you could do a cassette release not for reasons of pretense so much as...

Uhm...

Uhm...

A whimsical way to get a few more bucks out of a fan who is a completist collector?

That is the furthest I could get from pretense and it is still a little cynical.
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: wombat on January 05, 2013, 04:27:23 pm
It is still better than releasing your album as sheet music. Did no one read my last post?
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: theinevitable on January 05, 2013, 05:41:09 pm
I do not really get what is "pretentious" about releasing their album on a cassette. Silly? Yes.
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 05, 2013, 06:41:46 pm
It is like "only a TRUE ENTHUSIAST who owns ANTIQUATED FORMAT PLAYERS for things only released on that format can LISTEN TO THIS", Dan.

That is the apprentice of pretense.

Down that road lay releasing on wax cylinder.
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: theinevitable on January 05, 2013, 07:23:24 pm
actually, no. Because it is available for free online. And most cars have a tape player.
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: wombat on January 05, 2013, 09:18:14 pm
I'm pretty sure cars aren't sold with tape players anymore. I think when I bought my car ten years ago was about the last time they came with a tape player instead of a CD player.

Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 05, 2013, 09:50:20 pm
I have a tape player in my car and have a tape w rem murmer and another w the black lips 200 million thousand.  They are awesome and releasing shit on tape is something of a tradition.  I guess if lfm doesn't get it it is only for hipsters, but like, the world is a big place with lots of shit happening.  Also, the people listening to underground punk bands I'm sure have a lot more in common with wombat and lfm than inev and I.  They are also the demographic with the newest cars!
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 05, 2013, 10:16:50 pm
Ahhhhhh, I'm actually just playing Devil's Advocate to razz the 'Nev on this one.

I have friends who've done the cassette release as a limited run alongside a more conventional release, as a laugh.

I mean, hell, if I ever self-published a comic book that wasn't just a Kinko-copied mini, I'd look into having friends record a themesong and then print up flexidiscs as a throw-in.
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: jay-ell on January 06, 2013, 02:59:32 am
Both our cars have both tape and CD players. We use the tape players to plug in our iPhones; it's more reliable than those FM transmitter thingies.
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: AugustWest on January 06, 2013, 06:35:49 pm
Why is it pretentious?    It's a pointless thing to do which is done solely for ironic effect.

Is the sound quality better on a cassette?  No.
Are cassettes more convenient, cheaper, or safer to use?  No.
Do the vast majority of potential listeners use cassettes on a regular basis, or even have the facilities to?  No.

There is utterly no practical reason to release new music on a cassette.  It's a way of saying "Hey, I'm hip, I'm in on the joke."  Pretense.

Fine, Keith and Inev, you get and appreciate the little inside joke.  But it's still just a little inside joke, isn't it?

Beside, all the really cool bands are releasing their music on wax cylinders these days.
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: theinevitable on January 06, 2013, 06:46:49 pm
you need to learn how to have fun. I feel like you are taking this a lot more seriously than the people who made this thing are.
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: theinevitable on January 06, 2013, 11:33:43 pm
Man, we were on such a long streak of not having this argument. Come on guys.
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: Choop on January 07, 2013, 12:12:25 am
is it also available on cd? because if so argument nullified. i think purchasing on tape is more pretentious than releasing on tape, if a cd is also available, but releasing only on tape would be more pretentious than purchasing said tape. considering it's also available digitally, they probably aren't looking to sell too many tapes. that's my guess.

the other night at best buy, the dude in front of us in line bought like six CDs. i couldn't believe a dude had gone to a store to buy CDs. i mean, download the singles you like, or the album you're looking for, or at least order that shit on amazon - there's almost zero reason to buy music on CD at an actual store any more.
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 07, 2013, 01:01:05 am
I seriously don't get where this pretentious bullshit is coming from.  I think no one here has any fuck*ng clue about what they are talking about.

Ahhhhhh, I'm actually just playing Devil's Advocate to razz the 'Nev on this one.

I have friends who've done the cassette release as a limited run alongside a more conventional release, as a laugh.

I mean, hell, if I ever self-published a comic book that wasn't just a Kinko-copied mini, I'd look into having friends record a themesong and then print up flexidiscs as a throw-in.

I don't know why, but this is one of the most angering thing I have ever read??  My only response is to try unsuccessfully to find that scene of the Simpsons where Homer is talking about not understanding what was happening at the record store he went to.  It's from Homerpalooza.

Homer: I was in a record store, and they were playing all these bands I'd never heard of. It was like the store had gone crazy.
Marge: Record stores have always seemed crazy to me. Music is none of my business.
Homer: That's all well and good for you, but I used to rock and roll all night and party every day. Then it was every other day... now I'm lucky to find half an hour a week in which to get funky. I've got to get out of this rut and back into the groove.
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: theinevitable on January 07, 2013, 01:55:55 am
I think you guys are trying to give me practice not caring what people think. I don't know if I've quite gotten it yet, because I keep starting to type responses to your thoughts. Regardless, it is appreciated.
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: wombat on January 07, 2013, 02:47:26 am
Marge: Record stores have always seemed crazy to me. Music is none of my business.
Homer: That's all well and good for you, but I used to rock and roll all night and party every day. Then it was every other day... now I'm lucky to find half an hour a week in which to get funky.

As the kids today say, LOL.

Ash is right, you know. Someday they'll be beaming the music directly into our brains and Inev will be all, the indie bands are so pretentious releasing their music as mp3 downloads. It's gonna happen. It's the circle of life.
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: AugustWest on January 07, 2013, 02:59:53 am
I seriously don't get where this pretentious bullshit is coming from.  I think no one here has any fuck*ng clue about what they are talking about.


So why don't you explain it in nice short words. What non-ironic purpose is there for releasing music on cassette in this day and age? 
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: Choop on January 07, 2013, 03:05:08 am
i love how ash and auggie have leveled up so far that they've just gone ahead and evolved into old fogeys
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 07, 2013, 03:23:28 am
It is the cheapest way to get a properly packaged item to sell at your shows.

Shows full of people who probably have access to cassette players and who will probably download your shit for free if they don't have something to buy.  Honestly, if I buy a cd at a show it is generally just to support the band, not because I actually want the cd.  It is far far easier for me to download a copy of that.  I prefer to buy vinyls or tapes at shows for that reason.  I will only buy the cd if there is nothing else and I REALLY like the band.  This has happened once.  I have bought a cassette once.  I have bought vinyls 50 ish times.  I literally never opened the cd.  I played the vinyls probably 2-10 times each.  I play the shit out of that black lips tape.

I have access to exactly one cd player- in my computer.  I would only use this to rip a really hard to find cd.  I have access to 3 cassette players (that I also barely use, to be fair-except in car to run mp3 tape thing).  I am the target market, not you old fucks.  For various reasons (mp3 players mainly, mixed with the fact you can use those with any audio system with an aux jack and a lot of old, absolutely fine audio systems with cassette players and aux jacks available cheaply cause you old people gave that shit away to get cd players as you were fuck*ng up the economy for my generation.) cassette players are easier to find than cd players among people in their mid 20s who care about music. 


Now please stop saying the cheapest, easiest way to do things is pretentious.
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: AugustWest on January 07, 2013, 03:33:50 am
It is the cheapest way to get a properly packaged item to sell at your shows.


Bull. 

Shit.
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 07, 2013, 03:37:59 am
I don't know man, I am pretty sure that is true.  I know exactly one band who has released something on tape, I can't remember what she said.  Maybe it is more expensive than cds?  It is definitely cheaper than vinyls though.  So, whether or not that is true, which, yeah, I am pretty sure it is, it is the cheapest way to produce something their target market will buy, so

fuck

off.
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 07, 2013, 03:40:35 am
Oh, and then they got more fans/made more money and released a vinyl because they could afford to and that is another thing that people in their demographic will buy.  I saw a properly bought cd that was being used for the first time in years within the last few weeks.  It was a Rhinna cd that a girl who doesn't give a shit about the bands that inev and I might like had.  I also have a shit load of friends who are really into music.  Those are the people I spend most of my time with and don't see use cds.  Like literally ever.
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 07, 2013, 03:50:43 am
Okay, so it is cheaper to produce yourself than cds for sure and I haven't been able to find whether or not cheaper to have someone else produce.


Also, seriously, no one/very few are building up tape collections, but, at least from my perspective (as, again, pretty close to the exact demographic they are trying to reach) I would rather have that than a cd, by like 200 million thousand fuck*ng percent.  I would rather have the mp3 and add the vinyl if I really like it, but like, make money selling mp3s at yer shows.  Go ahead and do it.
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: wombat on January 07, 2013, 04:02:30 am
Keith, I can only assume you are correct about the target market, but you have to understand that this is flabbergasting to people who had no choice but to buy vinyl records and cassettes because that's all that existed, and couldn't have been more thrilled to give them up for less sucky formats that don't take up so much space, are less easily damaged, have better sound quality, etc. Even thinking about cassettes is like a bad flashback - there isn't even random access.  I am also surprised about the availabliity of old cassette players that us old fucks gave away, because every cassette player I have ever owned broke long before I could give it away to anyone, another reason why the format sucked. It completely boggles my mind that anyone would use cassettes on purpose now that there is an equally portable alternative. This is why you are encountering such disbelief.

I should say I don't buy CDs anymore either, except when I come across a Japanese band that doesn't have any downloads to buy and am stuck with it.
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: wombat on January 07, 2013, 04:06:12 am
Okay, so it is cheaper to produce yourself than cds for sure and I haven't been able to find whether or not cheaper to have someone else produce.

Curious about what you're counting as "produce it yourself" for cassettes. As I recall it, copying cassettes is a painfully tedious process compared to copying CDs. So it maybe depends what your time is worth to you.
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: AugustWest on January 07, 2013, 04:07:53 am
OK, a quick google showed me that 45 minute cassettes go for about 44 cents each in bulk, plus 28 cents for a case.  

CD's are about 22 cents each, plus 10 cents for the case.

We can consider the art/insert to be a wash -- should cost roughly the same for cassette or CD.  I'd guess that labor on reproducing a cassette would be more too, if only because it takes longer to do.  But I haven't documented that so we can leave it out.  So about 75 cents for a cassette versus 32 cents for a CD.  Twice as much.

Are you seriously suggesting that cassette players are more available that CD players?  Seriously?  I mean, cassette decks haven't been made for the mass market in about 20 years.  Every laptop and desktop computer has a CD player in it.  Most vehicles made since about 1990 have CD players.

And surely you aren't suggesting you get better music quality off a cassette.  I mean, even before the thing starts disintegrating and getting dropouts, the sound quality is nowhere near a CD.  And maybe you like rewinding and fast-forwarding to get to the song you want.

And, as you say, nobody even uses CD's anymore.  If there's no good reason to use CD's now, it makes even less sense to go back to an even older and less versatile technology.

Quote
it is the cheapest way to produce something their target market will buy

This is a good explanation of why a band would sell them.  They sell them because people will buy them.  Still doesn't answer the real question -- why the fuck would anybody buy music cassettes in this day and age?

So, I'm right back to where I started:

Are cassettes:

Cheaper -- No.
Easier to use -- No.
Better sound quality -- No.

Do they help you look cool to the other young whippersnappers? -- Yep.  

Pretense.
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: AugustWest on January 07, 2013, 04:12:17 am
I would rather have the mp3 and add the vinyl if I really like it,

Honest question here.  When you buy a tape or vinyl and you already have the mp3, which do you listen to?  Do you actually listen to the cassettes you buy, or are they just souvenirs?

I think I could grok it better if buying a cassette is like buying a band T-shirt or poster and not as a useful way to listen to music.
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: theinevitable on January 07, 2013, 04:26:31 am
I think that last bit is part of it. I bought the cassette to support my friends and have a cool fold-out print my roommate's girlfriend made.

The thing that is boggling my mind is:
-Taking your craft "too" seriously: pretentious
-Not taking your craft seriously: pretentious

I tend to think the whole disposable goofy punk/garage indie scene is a reaction against painfully pretentious arty bands. So that is its own kind of pretention? I would like to know what isn't pretentious, then. Aug, do you wear a nice shirt when you play music with your duo? Is that necessary to the craft, or is that pretentious?

Part of it is also enjoying the blown-out sound of tapes. Legitimately. Not as some kind of weird ironic pose. I like how they sound. I like how things that are recorded to sound blown-out and shitty sound.
If that is hard to imagine, remember that guitar distortion is basically the sound of an overloaded vacuum tube. People started purposely making that sound because they liked it.

Here's a stumper for you: you guys all listen to/ like things that I can't imagine liking unless as part of a joke. But that fact doesn't mean you like them ironically. I am sure that you actually really like those things that I find unbearably lame.

This is all stupid because I think releasing a tape is slightly silly (but not pretentious), and I shouldn't be surprised that people my parents' age don't get the music I like.
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: AugustWest on January 07, 2013, 04:49:25 am
I think that last bit is part of it. I bought the cassette to support my friends and have a cool fold-out print my roommate's girlfriend made.

That's cool, then.

Quote
The thing that is boggling my mind is:
-Taking your craft "too" seriously: pretentious
-Not taking your craft seriously: pretentious

Who said that?  I didn't.  I'm not sure you can take your craft too seriously, although you can probably take yourself too seriously.  And not taking your craft seriously isn't pretentious, it's just crappy.


Quote
Part of it is also enjoying the blown-out sound of tapes. Legitimately. Not as some kind of weird ironic pose. I like how they sound. I like how things that are recorded to sound blown-out and shitty sound.
If that is hard to imagine, remember that guitar distortion is basically the sound of an overloaded vacuum tube. People started purposely making that sound because they liked it.

I think that's a valid answer.  That's giving an aesthetic reason why cassettes are better.  Still not sure why the sound you like couldn't be reproduced on any digital format, but that's neither here nor there.  Do you carry a walkman around to listen to this music, or can you only listen to it when you're at home?  What percentage of your music listening is done on cassette?

Quote
Here's a stumper for you: you guys all listen to/ like things that I can't imagine liking unless as part of a joke. But that fact doesn't mean you like them ironically. I am sure that you actually really like those things that I find unbearably lame.

This is all stupid because I think releasing a tape is slightly silly (but not pretentious), and I shouldn't be surprised that people my parents' age don't get the music I like.

Nobody's talking about the actual music.  Nobody said you like this music ironically.  I have no idea what the music sounds like.  Could be great, could suck.  I still say the modern practice of distributing music on cassette has its roots in irony.

Why not just own it?
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: pmcd9 on January 07, 2013, 07:28:31 am
Back in the day famous bands would do silly releases with alternative names or limited pressings or only available in some strange country. It was pretentious, but it was also fun for the super fans to try and find this rare music. I doubt your friends band will ever be famous though and no one will ever give two shits about their cassette only album.

I reject all of Keith's arguments about why bands sell cassettes at their shows. As August proved, CDs are cheaper to make and everyone knows they are easier to make as well. But what about mp3s. You can put those on a cd too, or maybe one of those memory sticks, those are pretty dang cheap nowadays also. And I'm no old fogey either. I'm always on the lookout for good new music, I'm not stuck in my old ways happy to groove to Crosby Stills and Nash greatest hits or whatever you think us old farts are listening too. And I still go to shows too.

 I had a pretty huge cassette collection (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/3980142152/lightbox/) which mostly dates back to the time when cassettes were a viable music source. I just gave all of that shit away about a month ago.

I certainly agree with Wombat that cassettes suck to listen to. I believe you Inev if you say you actually like the sound of cassettes, but it's definitely got me scratching my head.
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 07, 2013, 08:13:08 am
Okay, I could keep arguing and shit, but my main point now is that none of you are giving any thought to junk/thrift stores.  I am in those places like 1-2 times a week.  So are other people like me.  You know what they have in those places, besides "hipsters"?  A massive amount of completely new, empty cassettes for like 2 dollars.  It is pretty close to where you sometimes find the old decent stereos that people like me will buy to listen to shit on my back porch, etc.
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: wombat on January 07, 2013, 01:44:09 pm
What I get here from what Keith is saying is that we are talking about kids who are so poor and underemployed that it makes sense to shop thift stores for cheap cassettes and spend the extra time to copy them. But aren't downloads still cheaper? I am still not getting it about why you would not just buy the downloads. Why do you need to buy the cassette (in some cases even if you have the download) to "support the band." Why not pay for the download to support the band? Am I not getting it that all of these bands have downloads that you are not paying for?
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 07, 2013, 06:19:33 pm
What I get here from what Keith is saying is that we are talking about kids who are so poor and underemployed that it makes sense to shop thift stores for cheap cassettes and spend the extra time to copy them. But aren't downloads still cheaper? I am still not getting it about why you would not just buy the downloads. Why do you need to buy the cassette (in some cases even if you have the download) to "support the band." Why not pay for the download to support the band? Am I not getting it that all of these bands have downloads that you are not paying for?


I am only speaking for myself, but I am just guessing, again, I have more in common with the target market.

Right now my account has negative $355 and I have $6 in my wallet.  I also have honest access to multiple cassette players and one cd player I would never use.

And yes, all of these bands have mp3s I am getting for free.
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 07, 2013, 06:26:44 pm
And again, I have bought one fuck*ng cassette in the last ten years.  I just would prefer a cassette to a cd because I already have it on mp3 if I am at their show and I would actually use a cassette occasionally and wouldn't use a cd, ever. 

August- I have just basically everything ever on mp3, if I really, really like an album I look for it on vinyl because I have a really nice audio system that sounds great with vinyl and because I usually buy music as a way to support artists I already like/have the mp3s of.  That is my preferred way of doing it.  But, if I am at a show and I want to give the band some money and they don't have vinyls (this has been an issue once) I would go with the cassette over the cd, because, again, I will actually use the cassette and, more importantly, I already have the cd equivalent/better (more portable, fits in with the way I listen to music) mp3.

And just, IDK, literally the whole time I have been posting here I have been within ten feet of a working cassette player that I got for free/under $10 (two different players, one portable, one on my back porch.)
Title: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: pmcd9 on January 07, 2013, 06:28:52 pm
And yes, all of these bands have mp3s I am getting for free.

Thanks a lot Napster. Are you happy now, the kids have to listen to cassettes so the bands can get paid?
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: wombat on January 07, 2013, 06:37:36 pm
Yeah, that is what I am curious about. Keith, do the bands not change for mp3 downloads, or are you finding a way not to pay for them?
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 08, 2013, 02:26:10 am
I am finding a way not to pay for them.  I think kids who are like 20 now are paying for music again, which is really good, but I think people like 20-30 don't and probably won't.  Also, yeah, as my tastes get more underground most bands have a bandcamp page where you decide how much to pay, with 0 generally being an option (but not always).
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: jay-ell on January 08, 2013, 02:56:52 am
I am in my 30s, and I pay for mp3s. Especially when I want to support the artist producing it. I have paid for all of MC Frontalot's albums, and some of Jesse Dangerously and MC Chris's. I don't download music illegally if there is a legal way to get it.

The nerdcore rappers, they are good at giving you ways to give them money without having to deal with owning physical objects.
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: theinevitable on January 08, 2013, 03:39:10 am
Speaking of things I find it impossible to believe people like unironically: nerdcore rappers. And yet here we have JL.

I download tons of mp3s for free. When I buy music, I buy vinyl. I don't remember the last time I bought a CD. Sadly I do not listen to my vinyl lately, since I share the stereo/the room the stereo is in with 5 other people. Most of the time video games or TV are happening in that room.
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 08, 2013, 05:12:07 am
I am in my 30s, and I pay for mp3s. Especially when I want to support the artist producing it. I have paid for all of MC Frontalot's albums, and some of Jesse Dangerously and MC Chris's. I don't download music illegally if there is a legal way to get it.

The nerdcore rappers, they are good at giving you ways to give them money without having to deal with owning physical objects.

Yeah, I wasn't saying peeps in there 30s, more like about two years before I went to college to about the time I finished stealing music was like totally the thing to do, I don't know that my little mini generation will ever get over that.
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: miles on January 08, 2013, 05:31:08 am
I am in my 30s, and I pay for mp3s. Especially when I want to support the artist producing it. I have paid for all of MC Frontalot's albums, and some of Jesse Dangerously and MC Chris's. I don't download music illegally if there is a legal way to get it.

The nerdcore rappers, they are good at giving you ways to give them money without having to deal with owning physical objects.

I just started paying for mp3s only in the last couple years or so. Probably right around the time I turned 30. And usually only when they are discounted at Amazon. Sometimes CDs are cheaper than mp3s so I still buy CDs. I download music illegally still, but usually only if I'm doubtful I will like something enough to pay for it and don't want to only listen to it on youtube.

I'm an impulsive music buyer and also a collector. I still buy CDs at stores but typically when I'm out of town and am checking out new or old favorite record stores. I only purchase favorite albums or new releases from favorite artists/bands on vinyl. If I'm at a record store which sells used cassette tapes and see a favorite album, I'll buy it. If a favorite band or even a band I really like released something on cassette I'd probably buy it.

I don't understand why there is a entire fuck*ng thread about this.
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: jaydub on January 08, 2013, 06:07:53 am
I have a dead computer that I can't bear to trash because its (probably functional) hard drive is loaded with mp3s I ripped from CDs that are long gone.  Someday when I have a desktop computer again I'll be able to retrieve them.
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: pmcd9 on January 08, 2013, 06:22:33 am
I have a dead computer that I can't bear to trash because its (probably functional) hard drive is loaded with mp3s I ripped from CDs that are long gone.  Someday when I have a desktop computer again I'll be able to retrieve them.

I keep my music and all the rest of my files for that matter on an external hard drive.
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: theinevitable on January 08, 2013, 06:25:12 am
This is the only mp3 I have ever paid for (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4m1EFMoRFvY#t=48s), because I needed in that moment to make it my ringtone. Specifically, the part I linked to.

Ever since then it has been the Keyboard Cat song.

I can't find my external harddrive ever since my move, and I am scared that my computer will die and nothing will be backed up. I should probably just buy a new one.
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: Choop on January 08, 2013, 07:16:42 am
skip the external hard drive and get yourself a cloud storage account somewhere. it's slower and requires internet, but you'll never lose it, and you can always back it up to DVDR or a thumb drive or something.
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: wombat on January 08, 2013, 01:46:07 pm
Keith, do you know any musicians personally?

I just remembered when I was in my 20s and found that a friend of a friend of mine had a huge collection of music, and it was all cassette tapes that he had taped off other people's records. I was completely flabbergasted, especially because I knew him as part of a circle of people that included a number of professional musicians. How did he not see that he was basically stealing from his own friends?
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: wombat on January 08, 2013, 01:49:49 pm
skip the external hard drive and get yourself a cloud storage account somewhere.

Anyone want to tell me what cloud storage service I should use? After the whole desktop computer dying thing, which has taken over two days of the Tech Staff's life at this point, I need to have a better cloud storage system. Attaching files to gmail and mailing them to myself is not exactly a system, and I think updating the old backup files that I have to use FTP for is not a very cutting edge approach.  But not Google, preferably, since too much of my life is already in the clutches of Google.
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: jay-ell on January 08, 2013, 03:42:44 pm
Yeah, I wasn't saying peeps in there 30s, more like about two years before I went to college to about the time I finished stealing music was like totally the thing to do, I don't know that my little mini generation will ever get over that.

No, I get this. We are about the same age, I think, and my friends and I all totally stole music (and software, and movies, etc) in college. Napster and BitTorrent and the whole deal. Most of the people I know (who are my age or slightly younger) are happy to pay for it now if it's available legally. We only pirate stuff if distributors don't make it available for legal purchase -- like Game of Thrones, 2012's most pirated TV show (http://Email jamie@allfunngames.com to find out how you can help!). It's not just me and my friends; there are whole articles dedicated to this idea. I read one just last week, but I can't find it again now.
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: wombat on January 08, 2013, 04:02:53 pm
Saw this on Twitter this morning and it seems like all you need, not a whole article:

 ‏@KimDotcom How to stop piracy: 1 Create great stuff 2 Make it easy to buy 3 Same day worldwide release 4 Fair price 5 Works on any device

Of course this is only true if people like Keith come around to the idea that a fair price is somewhere north of zero. I think JL's example shows that they might once they have any money to spare.
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: theinevitable on January 08, 2013, 06:45:34 pm
People who pay for mp3s, what service do you use to buy things?

Generally I have a list of bands whose entire catalog I want to own, and will buy their albums new. Other things that I like a lot I buy used if I can (which I know Wombat hates). The third tier consists of bands I know nothing about, who I want to check out. That gets downloaded. But everything gets downloaded first.

I am trying to purchase this album (http://kendricklamar.org/good-kid-maad-city/) but don't want to get it off of iTunes. It is funny to me that a video he linked to from his own page has been taken down.

Is iTunes good? For some reason I am worried about giving them my money.
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: wombat on January 08, 2013, 07:20:33 pm
People who pay for mp3s, what service do you use to buy things?
I just use Amazon, maybe that is an old fogey thing to do.
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 08, 2013, 07:28:12 pm
I mostly use eMusic. $12/month gets me roughly two full-length albums, plus a couple extra tracks. They sometimes have sales on specific labels or genres, which will make the credits go a little farther. Regular ol' MP3s, play anywhere, no DRM. Focus mostly on indie labels, but they've added a couple of major labels (back catalog mostly) over the past year or two.

If you are interested, let me know and I can e-mail you through their "tell a friend" thing, which will get you a $10 starter credit, and me an extra $10 if you sign up.

Ignore any similar posts from Cort asking you to sign up through him instead.
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: miles on January 08, 2013, 09:58:22 pm
Inev, I bought that mp3 album on amazon. I don't know what changes Apple has made, but I rarely ever buy from itunes because they didn't used to sell mp3s, and unless it's an exclusive release I refuse to buy music in proprietary formats. Maybe it's different now but I like amazon. I like Google too but last I checked their selection was lousy.
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: jay-ell on January 08, 2013, 10:13:39 pm
I usually buy from iTunes because it is simple to synch music and videos across all our iDevices. (We have 2 iPhones, an iMac, an old iPod touch, and a 2nd-gen iPod that lives in our van and serves cartoons to our backset video screen via RCA cables to a built-in VHS player.) When I want something that isn't available on iTunes, like a nerdcore album, I'll check the artist's website for a download link first. There is usually a way to download it legally and pay via PayPal.

Failing that, I will order a CD and rip it to the laptop, but that's a pain because then I have to manually load it on to each device. I'll also sometimes buy via Amazon, but the problem there is the same as with a CD -- unless I buy through iTunes, there's no way to make things magically & effortlessly appear on all my devices at once.
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: jaydub on January 08, 2013, 10:16:21 pm
Can't you have Itunes import a stand-alone mp3?  I thought I had done this a while back, but maybe it was something else.
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: wombat on January 08, 2013, 10:18:23 pm
I can get my Amazon stuff onto any device that can get on the internet. I don't know how that differs from how iTunes does it though, I don't have any Apple stuff.

I have to say I sort of miss the printed CD inserts. But I don't miss not being able to find the CD I want among the dozens (or hundreds if I include the Tech Staff's stuff) that are all over the house.
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: jay-ell on January 08, 2013, 10:25:27 pm
Can't you have Itunes import a stand-alone mp3?  I thought I had done this a while back, but maybe it was something else.

Yes, but AFAIK you can't store it in the cloud once you've imported it, so you have to transfer it manually.
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: Choop on January 08, 2013, 11:03:23 pm
i care so little about purchasing music that i only listen to pandora and grooveshark.
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: pmcd9 on January 09, 2013, 12:50:44 am
I think iTunes was pretty heinous about DRM back in the day and were also super expensive. I use Amazon and have had no troubles so far.
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: jaydub on January 09, 2013, 01:06:47 am
Their cloud, their rules I guess.  Its just another opportunity for Google to eat their lunch though.
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 09, 2013, 02:26:27 am
soulseek for piracy.  amazon for legit purchasing if its not available to steal.  i am a music-stealing prick.
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 09, 2013, 04:35:22 am
I try my damnedest to only pirate things that there are no legitimate ways to easily obtain.

If it's something that's out of print and 300 dollars on the secondary market or if it's just so obscure that there's no way to get it or, y'know, it's a bootleg live thing or a demo or something that's leaked that there is no "legal" version of, I'll pirate that stuff.

If I can get it at a price that isn't inflated by the collectors market and without having to make a day job of obtaining it, I pay for it.

There's probably been a few times when I played fast and loose with the "easy to obtain" part but later I'd buy it legit in those cases.
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: AugustWest on January 09, 2013, 05:15:03 am
I just sit at my desk and listen to music on YouTube all day.  Or watch Gomer Pyle.
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: theinevitable on January 10, 2013, 08:30:48 am
I thought a lot about what makes something "pretentious" while my boss at work lectured me about how I need to work on my latte art, because that is a huge part of the "coffee shop experience."

My drinks are fuck*ng delicious, but I can't even make a little rippley wave design on top. I am having a hard time caring. Today I learned that I am not included on the manager's mostly-secret list of the "most promotable" employees, and I would like to imagine it is because of my lack of latte art.

(it is probably actually because when I haven't had a customer in 15 minutes I read Moby Dick, instead of polishing the counter for the 20th time. Little do they know, coffee jerks who read books at work are an important part of the "coffee shop experience.")
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: CortJstr on January 10, 2013, 04:03:35 pm
I've been an eMusic member since 1999 and I'm happy with it. I'm actually a little sad they they have all the major labels now because their sales charts used to be a really good way to discover new-to-me artists. Now it's all Taylor Swift etc. I refuse to buy proprietary files from iTunes so Amazon is my back up.

For whoever was complaining about a harddrive in a dead desktop like 3 pages ago, have you tried putting the drive in an external enclosure? http://www.newegg.com/External-Enclosures/SubCategory/ID-92
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: Choop on January 10, 2013, 04:05:05 pm
(http://i.imgur.com/7Drfp.jpg) (http://i.imgur.com/7Drfp.jpg)
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: wombat on January 10, 2013, 04:34:34 pm
I was beginning to wonder what was wrong with us that this thread was on topic for six pages.
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: CortJstr on January 10, 2013, 04:42:17 pm
And just today there's this: http://consumerist.com/2013/01/10/ever-bought-a-cd-from-amazon-it-might-be-eligible-for-free-mp3-conversion/

(Amazon will provide a free mp3 copy of most CDs you purchase or have purchased since 1998)
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: wombat on January 10, 2013, 05:57:35 pm
Whoa. I just went and they did that thing, automatically. I am a happy customer.
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: pmcd9 on January 10, 2013, 06:22:05 pm
Too bad I've already done that. When I got my first iPod I ripped about 2 thousand cds to mp3.
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: CortJstr on January 10, 2013, 06:26:18 pm
Too bad I've already done that. When I got my first iPod I ripped about 2 thousand cds to mp3.

I started ripping every CD I owned back in 1998. Though back when I only had a 2GB hard drive I was pickier and only took the songs I liked best instead of the whole disc but I doubt I'm really missing anything.
Title: Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
Post by: jaydub on January 11, 2013, 04:48:49 am
For whoever was complaining about a harddrive in a dead desktop like 3 pages ago, have you tried putting the drive in an external enclosure? http://www.newegg.com/External-Enclosures/SubCategory/ID-92
That's an idea.  Thanks.