The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: The Wonderous Me on August 04, 2003, 02:14:40 pm
-
Well folks, that was... umm... less funny than the one he ran on the 30th with the slogan shirts.. C'mon Chris! I live in Virginia Beach, I've been to the shops on Atlantic avenue and they've got 1000's of funnier slogan iron on things for shirts. Even the Walgreens have 3 T-Shirts for $10 that have funnier sayings on them! Hell it'd be funnier if beef had a shirt with a peachy colored sunset and seagulls printed on his shirt. Let's hope Onstad just had a good(bad?)weekend. :roll:
Strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08042003).
-
Perhaps "Today's Comic" isn't the best way to title a thread...
I mean, if this thread continues until tomorrow, and someone posts another "Today's Comic" thread - won't we have like, a gazillion "Today's Comic" threads on here?
At least put the date the strip ran, man.
-
Its not really bad or anything.
Love the drawing of Roast Beef in the final frame though.
-
I'm all in favor of today's (8/4) comic. Especially the last two panels.
"Plus I got Depression" with Teodor's eyebrows and crossed arms, followed by a truly evocative drawing of Beef's despair and frustration with himself.
I am so there.
-
I edited the title to include the date. Now let's all move on.
I was amused. "I am the guy who sucks..plus I got depression" is a fantastic t-shirt to buy for the guy in your life who is depressed and also sucks.
Also, Beef's fidgeting is brilliant.
-
Perhaps "Today's Comic" isn't the best way to title a thread...
I mean, if this thread continues until tomorrow, and someone posts another "Today's Comic" thread - won't we have like, a gazillion "Today's Comic" threads on here?
At least put the date the strip ran, man.
I thought I was picky!! Sheesh. The title today's comic is appropriate when the left most column shows my original post date. If you're wanna argue let's argue about the content of my message not the subjective subject :D (Ok, I was not asking for an argument with that statement, just, oh, nevermind I'm sure I'm in trouble for saying this much).
-
shit... guys. that comic was horrible. he just reused the same panels from last week. it doesn't bode well.
-
login: admin
pass: ***********************
Last login: 04 August 2003 05:34:34
csh> sql_db_select 'achewood';
csh> openTable 'userList';
csh> ban user 'The Wonderous Me' -archive 0 -deletePosts 1;
DELETE user 'The Wonderous Me'?
csh> y
User 'The Wonderous Me' deleted. 1 row(s) affected.
csh> logoff
Goodbye!
-end of session-
-
shit... guys. that comic was horrible. he just reused the same panels from last week. it doesn't bode well.
He always re-uses panels. He hasn't drawn an original element since the Subway series.
(I know that's not true. I know this. Please don't list all the original elements he's drawn since the Subway series, including last Friday's teen Phillipe. My heart couldn't take it.)
The point is, he always re-uses panels. But both "Saddest thing" strips were funny, no? (All 3, if you include the "outtakes" gag.)
-
(http://jough.com/parody/faquewood-recycling.jpg)
-
I'm not bein' sarcastic, its really terribly funny, heh. Anyone know if onstad reads this?
-
shit... guys. that comic was horrible. he just reused the same panels from last week. it doesn't bode well.
He always re-uses panels. He hasn't drawn an original element since the Subway series.
(I know that's not true. I know this. Please don't list all the original elements he's drawn since the Subway series, including last Friday's teen Phillipe. My heart couldn't take it.)
The point is, he always re-uses panels. But both "Saddest thing" strips were funny, no? (All 3, if you include the "outtakes" gag.)
Yeah, no, I'm not disagreeing. But it was so blatant... and not funny today! "The Saddest Thing" was funny... so it didn't strike me as so--so--ah... recycled? Know what I mean?
Was just IM'ing my friend at work, coincidentally, he's re-reading the Achewood archives. So funny. Teodor's party. Now I gotta reread that. I hope that with (no offense to present company) the messageboard out of his mind, his material will start perking up.
Or, shit, maybe he got a real job, and doens't have time anymore.
-
Are you people allergic to funny or something?
-
Are you people allergic to funny or something?
Agreed. I think he was just running with the story line. Nothing wrong with that.
-
Count me in on those who found this one funny.
With all due respect, the complaints upthread about the T-shirt slogans not being funny are missing the point -- the joke is how utterly pitiful the slogans are. Nobody would really but a "I am the one who sucks (plus I got depression)" shirt -- except Beef. Beef even sort of knows how pitiful the shirt is, yet he bought it (and may well have worn it) anyway. This is pure Beef: the fidgeting, the worry, the nervousness, the inability to justify what he knows in his heart (that he can and should wear a shirt that proclaims his sucking and depression) with Teodor's rational point about the shirts.
So what if he reused panels? It works anyway.
-
I think my beef (excuse the pun) with today's strip isn't that the t-shirts aren't funny in and of themselves, but that he already covered the same ground on Thursday. And a few times before that.
But what the hell. It's hard to be original and come up with new ideas all the time. And as I found when I was looking for my top five favourite strips, Onstad's track record is pretty good. I came up with 30 strips or so that I thought were truly funny and "fresh." Maybe another dozen that were fresh but not as funny.
So the guy gets credit for originality.
Just not today.
Really, I was just disappointed that he didn't tell us who put the hair in the nachos, esp. after that alt-text teaser on Friday.
-
It's threads like this one that are the reason there is no Achewood message board on Dumbrella anymore.
btw, Jough, your parody kicks ass.
~Paul
(http://jough.com/parody/faquewood-recycling.jpg)
-
What Onstad needs to understand, especially in re: the last two strips is this simple fact that just struck me like a bolt of lightning.
His entire fanbase is composed of a bunch of Roast Beefs.
Go on, admit it, all of you!
-
His entire fanbase is composed of a bunch of Roast Beefs.
Go on, admit it, all of you!
I'd never deny it. Though I like to think what with my rockstar good looks and talents that I may be just a little cooler on about 2.3 levels. On the other hand, maybe my extreme geekiness rules it out...
Shucks, hand me the "plus, i got depression" t-shirt.
-
Perhaps "Today's Comic" isn't the best way to title a thread...
I mean, if this thread continues until tomorrow, and someone posts another "Today's Comic" thread - won't we have like, a gazillion "Today's Comic" threads on here?
At least put the date the strip ran, man.
yeah for a while today was a cuss on dumbrella. also apple and scott.
-
You can't say %%%%% here, either.
-
yeah for a while today was a cuss on dumbrella. also apple and scott.
No big, but I think it was actually "%%%%%."
-
the fact that %%%%% is a censored word on this board makes it feel that much more like the real thing. :) also, that comic wasn't one of the best, but the shirts were funny.
-
the fact that ***** is a censored word on this board makes it feel that much more like the real thing.
Looks very, very, confused!
-
Is the word *****?
Apparently not.
-
Oh, I can say %%%%%, you just can't hear it. Also ***, ***** and ******** ********* *** **.
-
the fact that ***** is a censored word on this board makes it feel that much more like the real thing.
Looks very, very, confused!
The word that's starred out is s-k-o-t-t a former Dumbrella user. I'm sure somebody else knows the whole story.
-
I know the story, but it's not funny so I won't recount it here.
-
I know the story, but it's not funny so I won't recount it here.
Fair enough, I wasn't really demanding any story or anything, just looking as confused as I was, erm, looking...
-
What is i turned round and said that was my name and I demanded people call me it?
Or some poor new bastard?
Ah it's OK I can answer that myself!