The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: pmcd9 on January 23, 2013, 11:32:02 pm

Title: What's the Score?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 23, 2013, 11:32:02 pm
I'm a big fan of people who write musical scores for films. It's occurred to me that I don't know any of the ones that are currently working these days. Are there no more John Williams or Max Steiner's or Michel Legrand's?
Title: Re: What's the Score?
Post by: wombat on January 24, 2013, 12:10:04 am
I would mention Danny Elfman but it would just make me sad.
Title: Re: What's the Score?
Post by: wombat on January 24, 2013, 12:13:02 am
Although I guess sad in a way appropriate for this board, given the Chris Onstad context. There's another thread topic: artists who did something you loved and then went in directions you could not follow.
 
Title: Re: What's the Score?
Post by: jaydub on January 24, 2013, 03:51:11 am
I think I have mentioned before that I think Thomas Harris was giving his readers a big ol' middle finger when he wrote Hannibal.
Title: Re: What's the Score?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 24, 2013, 04:02:57 am
Although I guess sad in a way appropriate for this board, given the Chris Onstad context. There's another thread topic: artists who did something you loved and then went in directions you could not follow.

Hey, he's one I know. I'm not sure I understand. Is he no longer doing musical scores or are you lamenting the fact that he is doing that instead of making pop music?
Title: Re: What's the Score?
Post by: jay-ell on January 24, 2013, 04:59:26 am
Mark Knopfler did one of those too, but in his case I really adore his film scores. He was great fronting the Dire Straits and he was brilliant composing the score for The Princess Bride. I wish he'd do more.
Title: Re: What's the Score?
Post by: miles on January 24, 2013, 07:11:42 am
I like Carter Burwell's score for Fargo. He's still composing, does just about all of the Coen bros. movies I think.

Jon Brion's main theme for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is nice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqyGDHmo1ok

I also like Angelo Badalamenti's work for David Lynch.
Title: Re: What's the Score?
Post by: wombat on January 24, 2013, 01:34:12 pm
Oingo was far more fun than welding Tim Burton to his hip.

This. I mean, I like a lot of those movies, as much as I like movies, but there's no comparision.

It would have been more fun if they'd let him make his own movies. Apparently he tried - some of the material is on YouTube - but cheery ditties about dead cats (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efGO1UvIO0o) weren't an easy sell I guess.
Title: Re: What's the Score?
Post by: wombat on January 24, 2013, 04:01:16 pm
Despite Wombat's general indifference to movies, she actually owns a copy of The Forbidden Zone.

One of Wombat's favorite parts actually has no Elfman in it, but makes up for it by having tar pits. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_YPFvC-C_E)