The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jough on January 14, 2004, 10:10:52 am

Title: ru5tyb1ke5 - 14 January 2004
Post by: jough on January 14, 2004, 10:10:52 am
I believe this is the first time we see Beef take the form of an actual cat.

Beep beep indeed.  Boris is going to get sacked for sure.
Title: ru5tyb1ke5 - 14 January 2004
Post by: wombat on January 14, 2004, 11:25:42 am
Wait a minute -
Roast Beef is a CAT?
Title: ru5tyb1ke5 - 14 January 2004
Post by: jough on January 14, 2004, 11:47:27 am
Wombat, because I am very very tired after staying up all night typing (well, typing, and watching the making-of stuff on the Terminator 3 DVD) I will give you very gentle noogies.

But next time, expect hair to fall out.
Title: ru5tyb1ke5 - 14 January 2004
Post by: sensate on January 14, 2004, 12:58:47 pm
I like how he was drawn on the top of the cube. Onstead could have changed Beef's proportions, but no. His hind legs are still too long for a cat.

But the scale is interesting--he's human-sized up there and in front of the monitor, but very cat-sized zipping out the door. If Boris & co. hadn't drawn attention to the fact Beef is a cat, I would never have thought of it.
Title: ru5tyb1ke5 - 14 January 2004
Post by: Gimpson on January 14, 2004, 01:56:03 pm
I almost posted a question yesterday as to whether he was infiltrating Yahoo! Underground, or if he was actually going to encounter humans at our Yahoo!, but I thought the question was silly.  I guess this was actually our Yahoo!.
Title: ru5tyb1ke5 - 14 January 2004
Post by: CortJstr on January 14, 2004, 02:54:12 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
I almost posted a question yesterday as to whether he was infiltrating Yahoo! Underground, or if he was actually going to encounter humans at our Yahoo!, but I thought the question was silly.  I guess this was actually our Yahoo!.


It's still up for debate. Jough found out human Yahoo won't accept a picture of Ray. And the Boris of U-Yahoo could have simply been remarking that the cracker in question was a cat as opposed to a stuffed bear or something.
Title: ru5tyb1ke5 - 14 January 2004
Post by: Steve Hogan on January 14, 2004, 04:09:34 pm
It weird to think of Yahoo! taking adult personal ads for animals.

Yahoo! in the strip reminds me of the company my wife works for.  Russia exports more programmers than Ireland exports Guinness.
Title: ru5tyb1ke5 - 14 January 2004
Post by: slink on January 14, 2004, 05:16:05 pm
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"

Russia exports more programmers than Ireland exports Guinness.


Seems to keep a fair few for itself too, from what I've seen.
Although notably the last year the majority of those I've met have been Scandinavian. Not cats though.
Title: ru5tyb1ke5 - 14 January 2004
Post by: CortJstr on January 14, 2004, 05:45:36 pm
Wait a minute. Shouldn't Beef have choosen a password that also included capital letters and symbols? Tsk tsk.
Title: ru5tyb1ke5 - 14 January 2004
Post by: V-Adore on January 14, 2004, 06:53:43 pm
Beef as a "real" cat in the first panel = priceless.

I think this is supposed to be our Yahoo!, given that Boris points out that an "animal" changed his password again. Of course, this makes Beef's whole scheme to sneak in as a pizza delivery guy even weirder, since what, they wouldn't recognize that their pizza was delivered by a talking cat? Wild.
Title: ru5tyb1ke5 - 14 January 2004
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 14, 2004, 07:10:03 pm
And again, why the port scans and DOS attack if he was just going to misdirect them and physically hijack an unattended workstation?

"Aagh! Animal changes my password! Why this always happens to ME?"

Priceless.
Title: ru5tyb1ke5 - 14 January 2004
Post by: slink on January 14, 2004, 07:16:37 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
And again, why the port scans and DOS attack if he was just going to misdirect them and physically hijack an unattended workstation?


I've been thinking about that since last night, and now my answer would be:
Because he can.
And...
It's fun.
Title: ru5tyb1ke5 - 14 January 2004
Post by: CortJstr on January 14, 2004, 07:52:55 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
And again, why the port scans and DOS attack if he was just going to misdirect them and physically hijack an unattended workstation?

"Aagh! Animal changes my password! Why this always happens to ME?"

Priceless.


Maybe to see if they were vulnerable from the outside and as a further destraction, respectively.
Title: ru5tyb1ke5 - 14 January 2004
Post by: palm trees on January 14, 2004, 10:39:51 pm
no to be a spoilsport guys, i would suggest that the question of which yahoo is involved is secondary to beef's intense hacking master-skills.
ru5tyb1ke5. oh my god.
Title: ru5tyb1ke5 - 14 January 2004
Post by: CortJstr on January 14, 2004, 10:43:25 pm
Quote from: "palm trees"
no to be a spoilsport guys, i would suggest that the question of which yahoo is involved is secondary to beef's intense hacking master-skills.
ru5tyb1ke5. oh my god.


True, except I would say this is more a case of cracking than hacking since it involved breaking into a system.
Title: ru5tyb1ke5 - 14 January 2004
Post by: jough on January 14, 2004, 10:56:04 pm
I went to sleep, and awoke to a world of horrible spelling and even worse grammar.

CLEAN UP YOUR ACTS, PEOPLE
Title: ru5tyb1ke5 - 14 January 2004
Post by: andalucia on January 14, 2004, 11:26:42 pm
But we are just soooo l33t!

(Cripes, I'd never actually typed that before.  I feel sorta weird now.)
Title: ru5tyb1ke5 - 14 January 2004
Post by: elfbabe on January 14, 2004, 11:57:39 pm
Beef and I have the same password generating scheme... except I'll usually work some symbols into it, and decide to capitalize either the vowels or the consonants, including or not including the first letter of the word, and then I'll switch the order of the words around, and...

Dork dork dork.
Title: ru5tyb1ke5 - 14 January 2004
Post by: AugustWest on January 15, 2004, 02:40:05 am
I just use the word "Nectarine" for everything.  It's easy to remember.

DAMMIT!  Now I've gotta change it!
Title: ru5tyb1ke5 - 14 January 2004
Post by: CortJstr on January 15, 2004, 03:49:39 am
cort_is_a_stud

People might be able to guess it but they'll never be able to type it.

Self-Tag because Istole this joke from Fox Trot
Title: ru5tyb1ke5 - 14 January 2004
Post by: V-Adore on January 15, 2004, 03:59:53 am
See, I would more applaud Beef's mad skillz were it not so obvious that most of his victory came through Boris being a flaming idiot. If Boris had actually had something resembling account security, I would give more props, but as it stands my reaction is between "nice networking Aikido" and "wow, it's like tipping over a kid on a tricycle."
Title: ru5tyb1ke5 - 14 January 2004
Post by: JorgeFabregas on January 15, 2004, 08:03:14 am
Skills or not, you have to admire his determination. How many hours do you think he spent drinking and watching late-night TV, trying to catch any and all Roomba ads while screwing up enough courage to carry out the deed? Or, with his eyes on the prize, did he just bite the bullet a la his Hades vacation?
Title: ru5tyb1ke5 - 14 January 2004
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 15, 2004, 11:07:20 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
cort_is_a_stud

People might be able to guess it but they'll never be able to type it.

Self-Tag because Istole this joke from Fox Trot


I had a similar thing where a past password I used (I don't reuse passwords or the schemes used to generate them, so I feel safe in revealing it) was

'!TH# %T#G$N)GR$PH!C M$N!'

People just looked at me funny.