The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: pmcd9 on March 08, 2013, 08:42:26 pm

Title: Blue Skin? Army Men?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 08, 2013, 08:42:26 pm
Can anyone help provide me with some insight into why this random photo (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/6993249349/) of mine is so oddly popular?
Title: Re: Blue Skin? Army Men?
Post by: wombat on March 08, 2013, 11:57:38 pm
Someone must link to it on some popular site, but I did a link search and it didn't come up.  Have you looked at the referrers in your Flickr stats?
Title: Re: Blue Skin? Army Men?
Post by: jay-ell on March 09, 2013, 12:15:39 am
The blue chick looks like she OD'd on colloidal silver (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/2297471.stm). Apparently, the "treatment" is making a comeback with the homeopathy crowd.
Title: Re: Blue Skin? Army Men?
Post by: Dexter on March 09, 2013, 01:39:00 am
The horns and partially obscured symbol on the blue chick's shirt make me think she is cosplaying as a Homestuck troll (http://mspaintadventures.wikia.com/wiki/Troll) and she's actually supposed to be gray, not blue.

Of course, she could have gotten all fucked up on colloidal silver and, upon seeing her new skin tone, decided to run with it.  I can only speculate.
Title: Re: Blue Skin? Army Men?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 09, 2013, 03:23:37 am
The horns and partially obscured symbol on the blue chick's shirt make me think she is cosplaying as a Homestuck troll (http://mspaintadventures.wikia.com/wiki/Troll) and she's actually supposed to be gray, not blue.

Her horns look like candy corn.

What about the chick wearing the uniform... What branch of the service does she represent and from what country? Do we have any uniform experts here?
Title: Re: Blue Skin? Army Men?
Post by: CortJstr on March 09, 2013, 04:47:17 pm
The blue chick looks like she OD'd on colloidal silver (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/2297471.stm). Apparently, the "treatment" is making a comeback with the homeopathy crowd.

Damn Dr. Oz.

But yeah, it looks like Homestuck cosplay to me. I know candy corn was a thing in his previous story, Problem Sleuth and can see that it would carry over to Homestuck.
Title: Re: Blue Skin? Army Men?
Post by: lprkn on March 10, 2013, 04:58:45 am
Uniform looks kinda generic, except for the Sam Browne belt with the star and shield on the buckle...maybe Soviet? I don't think the cowboy(ish) boots were originally meant to go with the uniform.
Title: Re: Blue Skin? Army Men?
Post by: side_show on March 10, 2013, 01:43:11 pm
I think what you have here is a group of people in the middle of the Harlem Shake.
Title: Re: Blue Skin? Army Men?
Post by: Pedro Picasso on March 12, 2013, 03:14:33 pm
Fetish thing. Your picture is most relevant for search phrase "blue skin." That's what you type when you're looking for a real-life version of this:

(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/bb/Mystique11.png/250px-Mystique11.png) or this (http://images2.layoutsparks.com/1/122886/night-elf-love-eyes.jpg)

Don't ask me how I know.
Title: Re: Blue Skin? Army Men?
Post by: Ben-San on March 13, 2013, 06:58:21 pm
The gray skin and candy-corn horns are a Homestuck thing, yeah. I don't recognize the other stuff as being related, but I suspect that what you have there is a small cluster of nerds each doing a costume of Their Favorite Stuff at an event that gives them an excuse to wear costumes, rather than a group with a coherent theme.
Title: Re: Blue Skin? Army Men?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 13, 2013, 08:07:24 pm
Okay, so I added the Homestuck tag. I guess if that's Homestuck it'll bring them out of the woodwork.
Title: Re: Blue Skin? Army Men?
Post by: wombat on March 13, 2013, 08:24:31 pm
But we still haven't answered the original question, or at least what I thought the original question was. How were those people finding the photo before you added the tag?
Title: Re: Blue Skin? Army Men?
Post by: Ben-San on March 13, 2013, 08:33:26 pm
My first guess would be that one of the people in the pic went looking for pictures from the parade to try to see if anyone had taken shots of them and linked it around to her friends and/or the Homestuck community at large.
Title: Re: Blue Skin? Army Men?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 13, 2013, 10:38:21 pm
Ben San, that would make sense if the pic were only a few days old, but it was posted nearly a year ago and it's gotten steady traffic for a year. It's over 2k views now. Of course, for the past week or so most of the traffic has come from this board, but that's only a small portion of the total.
Title: Re: Blue Skin? Army Men?
Post by: wombat on March 13, 2013, 11:05:51 pm
That's why I think someone must have linked to it somewhere. Maybe one of the people Ben suggests put it on a blog somewhere or something. My blog posts and photos that get a lot of traffic over a long period of time are ones that someone has linked to somewhere else that gets a lot of traffic.
Title: Re: Blue Skin? Army Men?
Post by: Ben-San on March 14, 2013, 12:22:13 am
Ben San, that would make sense if the pic were only a few days old, but it was posted nearly a year ago and it's gotten steady traffic for a year. It's over 2k views now. Of course, for the past week or so most of the traffic has come from this board, but that's only a small portion of the total.

Then it's probably out into the Homestuck community at large. I'm not involved in the fan community at this point, but a lot of it is over tumblr, which means that archives aggregating links or images of a particular interest are relatively common (since the sources of interest don't inherently archive or aggregate in a meaningful way). If there's such an archive for, say, people costumed as that character (I think it's supposed to be Karkat), you'd get a steady flow of views from people looking for Karkat costume pics.

That's just speculation, though; I was only ever tangentially involved with that particular community to begin with.
Title: Re: Blue Skin? Army Men?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 14, 2013, 12:56:32 am
I appreciate the help. I definitely did not know about Homestuck. Actually that's not true, I've been to that page before, on more than one occasion actually, linked from here, but I was never able to get past the first page before boredom set in and I left.