The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: wombat on March 20, 2013, 01:39:53 am

Title: Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
Post by: wombat on March 20, 2013, 01:39:53 am
Also can I just complain about this: How come Netflix will suggest movies that it thinks I will like because of something as specific as "Independent movies featuring a strong female lead" and yet takes the evidence that I have watched a lot of Japanese movies (and nothing from any other country) and the best it can come up with is reccomendations for "Foreign Comedies."  Like all those foreign countries are the same. So not helpful.
Title: Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
Post by: theinevitable on March 20, 2013, 01:49:21 am
What aggravates me is that right now a lot of my suggestions are things that I have already watched and rated.
Title: Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
Post by: miles on March 20, 2013, 05:25:19 am
What aggravates me is that right now a lot of my suggestions are things that I have already watched and rated.

Yeah because then they have a separate "watch it again" section. Dumb.
Title: Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
Post by: pmcd9 on March 20, 2013, 08:17:06 am
What aggravates me is that right now a lot of my suggestions are things that I have already watched and rated.

Yeah, what the fuck Netflix?
Title: Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
Post by: pmcd9 on March 20, 2013, 07:55:19 pm


It's not 1981 and I'm not 19 years old anymore.

I'm just saying that I've grown up and so has the technology and Netflix should know not to suggest things to me that I've already watched.
Title: Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
Post by: side_show on March 21, 2013, 02:50:11 pm
In that same vein, iTunes suggests albums I already have all the time too.

I saw "Oz the Great and Powerful" in 3D on Tuesday, and it was lovely.  Even though I don't like James Franco.  Actually, I think not liking James Franco benifits this movie on some levels.
Title: Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
Post by: Pedro Picasso on March 21, 2013, 03:43:26 pm
I'm just saying that I've grown up and so has the technology and Netflix should know not to suggest things to me that I've already watched.

I'm guessing they didn't have any good suggestions for you, and the marketing decision was to show you things you have positive associations with instead of things you have a good chance of actually hating. If they had an online library comparable to their DVD library, they wouldn't have this problem. There would be a long tail of pretty good suggestions for their algorithms to give you.

In this case, the algorithm says, "Hell, dude, I don't know what this guy wants. Can I just tell him he's seen it all?"

And the marketing guy says, "No, he'll unsubscribe. Just show him happy pictures."

"But he'll think I suck at this!"

"Shut up. Algorithms can't talk."

I'm pretty sure that's how it went.


"AT&T's Natural Voice algorithms can talk."
"I said SHUT UP."
Title: Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
Post by: CortJstr on March 21, 2013, 04:16:02 pm
Amazon used to do that all the time with variations.

You gave Ghost in the Shell: Complete Season 1 4 stars. We recommend Ghost in the Shell: Season 1 Disc 1
Title: Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
Post by: pmcd9 on March 22, 2013, 12:14:16 am
I'm guessing they didn't have any good suggestions for you, and the marketing decision was to show you things you have positive associations with instead of things you have a good chance of actually hating. If they had an online library comparable to their DVD library, they wouldn't have this problem. There would be a long tail of pretty good suggestions for their algorithms to give you.

I think that's pretty much it. I'm coming to realize that the Netflix Instant tail is not so very long and it is kinda aggravating. They have tons of off the wall shit I've never heard of, lots of really obscure horror b movies for example, and occasionally I'll go off on a jag. For instance recently I watched about 10-12 biker movies from the 60s-70s. Most of them were terrible, but lots of fun to watch.  But most of the good stuff is DVD only and it's pretty frustrating.

safety not guaranteed, starring mark duplass from the league and aubrey plaza from parks&rec. not the funniest, but cute and sweet, with a couple great laughs.

Netflix has been recommending this to me for months.
Title: Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
Post by: wombat on March 23, 2013, 02:11:02 am
Netflix also concludes from my viewing history that I like "Exciting TV shows."  As opposed to all those people who like boring TV shows, I guess.
Title: Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
Post by: Pedro Picasso on March 23, 2013, 09:14:26 pm
Netflix also concludes from my viewing history that I like "Exciting TV shows."  As opposed to all those people who like boring TV shows, I guess.

Between all the West Wing and How It's Made, I'm surprised I'm not getting boring shows recommended.
Title: Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
Post by: jaydub on March 25, 2013, 11:59:00 pm
I my Netflix queue and my wife's ever merged, I think there would be an explosion rivalling matter/antimatter. Possibly the creation of a pocket universe.
Title: Re: Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
Post by: pmcd9 on March 26, 2013, 03:46:26 pm
Netflix now has Game of Thrones second season available, though only on DVD so it's still a hassle, but at least I'll be watching it sometime this week.

You'd think that Netflix would have notified me that season two was available since I rented  the first season. I guess their algorithms aren't that good.
Title: Re: Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
Post by: AugustWest on March 26, 2013, 05:04:10 pm
What the fuck, Netflix? 
Title: Re: Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
Post by: miles on March 31, 2013, 06:35:54 am
Netflix now has Game of Thrones second season available, though only on DVD so it's still a hassle, but at least I'll be watching it sometime this week.

You'd think that Netflix would have notified me that season two was available since I rented  the first season. I guess their algorithms aren't that good.

Game of Thrones is fuck*ng awesome. I just watched the first season over the last couple days.
Title: Re: Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
Post by: wombat on March 31, 2013, 03:00:38 pm
I found a website of illegally posted Japanese movies subtitled by fans. So, a bunch of movies that are so bad that no company would bother to subtitle them for money, basically. But I can much more easily sit through a terrible Japanese movie than a mediocre American one. At least there are pictures of Japan, and I can practice trying to understand what they are saying.

So the hell with you Netflix and your inability to tell the difference between Japan and France.
Title: Re: Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
Post by: pmcd9 on March 31, 2013, 07:12:53 pm
Game of Thrones is fuck*ng awesome. I just watched the first season over the last couple days.

Season 2 disc 1 should be here tomorrow. While I wait, there's this (http://youtu.be/qYNeT2nzEgA).
Title: Re: Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
Post by: miles on April 01, 2013, 01:14:19 am
Season 2 disc 1 should be here tomorrow. While I wait, there's this (http://youtu.be/qYNeT2nzEgA).

fuck*ng amazing.
Title: Re: Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
Post by: nDed on April 14, 2013, 03:37:56 am
Oh, nice. Braveheart's on streaming.
Title: Re: Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on April 14, 2013, 04:49:44 am
Oh, nice. Braveheart's on streaming.

Have you checked if there is a bottle of Blue Label in your hand?
Title: Re: Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
Post by: nDed on April 15, 2013, 01:16:05 am
Have you checked if there is a bottle of Blue Label in your hand?

All I found was some Red Stripe and colden pizza. I am not a wealthy man.