The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: misterhaan on January 15, 2004, 07:01:01 am

Title: i don't want to be deleted (also a geeky question)
Post by: misterhaan on January 15, 2004, 07:01:01 am
so i decided that most javascript is stupid and turned it off.  now i seem to have a problem posting on phpbb boards unless i turn it back on (though i can keep most of the features disabled).  without javascript phpbb decides that i have not entered a message and tells me to go back and try again.  i'm too lazy to view the page source and figure out why javascript would have anything to do with it, so anybody want to tell me? :)
Title: i don't want to be deleted (also a geeky question)
Post by: misterhaan on January 15, 2004, 07:01:54 am
oddly enough, i just added that topic without any javascript.  goes to show that this phpbb board is cooler.
Title: i don't want to be deleted (also a geeky question)
Post by: Howdy Moody on January 15, 2004, 02:56:01 pm
I choose to lurk, but resist deletion.
H.M.
PS-Can I drink Javascript?
Title: i don't want to be deleted (also a geeky question)
Post by: pmcd9 on January 15, 2004, 03:15:32 pm
Quote from: "Howdy Moody"
PS-Can I drink Javascript?


Yes, it's quite tasty.

~Paul
Title: i don't want to be deleted (also a geeky question)
Post by: dmt on January 15, 2004, 03:36:29 pm
gah, forced to come out of lurking...

anyway. It seems that every damn installation of phpBB I come across behaves slightly different from the next. There's certainly a lot of scripted stuff that happens at some.

But why disable JavaScript? Apart from pop-ups (and that is no issue if you use a decent browser) it only seems to be causing trouble as so many sites now depend on it. I'm no fan of JavaScript myself but you seem to only be punishing yourself.
Title: i don't want to be deleted (also a geeky question)
Post by: CortJstr on January 15, 2004, 06:48:44 pm
Quote from: "dmt"
But why disable JavaScript? Apart from pop-ups (and that is no issue if you use a decent browser) it only seems to be causing trouble as so many sites now depend on it. I'm no fan of JavaScript myself but you seem to only be punishing yourself.


The problem is the "decent browser" part. Firebird doesn't come with JavaScript. I broke down and installed it but I'm still resisting Flash, mainly because I don't understand what I need to do to the registry.

Although with the "click to play" button installed I guess it wouldn't be so bad.
Title: i don't want to be deleted (also a geeky question)
Post by: slink on January 15, 2004, 06:52:13 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'm still resisting Flash, mainly because I don't understand what I need to do to the registry.


As far as I can see, it only sets the autoupdate status in registry. It's a straightforward plugin, whereas Java/script needs access what with it trying to be so much more.
Title: i don't want to be deleted (also a geeky question)
Post by: Choop on January 15, 2004, 09:28:29 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
The problem is the "decent browser" part. Firebird doesn't come with JavaScript. I broke down and installed it but I'm still resisting Flash, mainly because I don't understand what I need to do to the registry.

Although with the "click to play" button installed I guess it wouldn't be so bad.


Firebird is indeed a decent browser, and what I use at home. However: I have never seen a released version of Firebird without native Javascript support. XUL, the language of the interface of the browser, is controlled by javascript, just as your preferences are stored in javascript files. It's in there.

Yes, the flash "click to play" extension is by far the best thing to happen to my web-browsing experiment since installing a "hidden" browser on my system for ...uh, well, nevermind.
Title: i don't want to be deleted (also a geeky question)
Post by: CortJstr on January 15, 2004, 09:39:39 pm
According to the FAQ (http://texturizer.net/firebird/faq.html#q2.2) the installer version of Firebird has Java but the .zip verion does not and I'm using the latter.
Title: i don't want to be deleted (also a geeky question)
Post by: Choop on January 15, 2004, 10:07:03 pm
Well, if you're talking about Java, no. JavaScript, see is an entirely different beast-- and made much of in my current mode of employment.

You can see why I thought it wise to correct you above; I certainly hope I didn't come across harpingly.
Title: i don't want to be deleted (also a geeky question)
Post by: slink on January 15, 2004, 10:23:25 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Well, if you're talking about Java, no. JavaScript, see is an entirely different beast-- and made much of in my current mode of employment.


Hence why I wish they had stuck with ECML for Javescript, since otherwise it can get confusing.
Title: i don't want to be deleted (also a geeky question)
Post by: Choop on January 15, 2004, 11:46:35 pm
Well, the official designation is ECMA-Script (punctuation and capitalization may not accurately represent the official designation), but that's not very easily pronounceable.

Eck-ma? Essmay?
Title: i don't want to be deleted (also a geeky question)
Post by: jough on January 16, 2004, 12:17:01 am
It's Eck-Ma.

But that's too "european" for yanks.

And what does a European Computer Manufacturer's Association have to do with client-side scripting, anyway?
Title: i don't want to be deleted (also a geeky question)
Post by: Choop on January 16, 2004, 12:35:27 am
Another grand point, boss. I don't think I'll ever understand that facet of it all.

Something about the juxtaposition of those letters, though, makes me want to say Eessma. Really, I couldn't tell you what that something is.
Title: i don't want to be deleted (also a geeky question)
Post by: slink on January 16, 2004, 03:03:11 am
Doh. Stupid memory of mine.
ECML being the European conference on machine learning, which I know through AI and *****ics interest.

But fuck-ups aside, they really shouldn't have called it Javascript. It's stupid.
Title: i don't want to be deleted (also a geeky question)
Post by: misterhaan on January 16, 2004, 07:53:49 am
Quote from: "slink"
Javascript. It's stupid.


precisely why i disabled it :)

actually i've found that it gets rid of a lot of ads that aren't popups, and if you get <a href="http://white.sakura.ne.jp/~piro/xul/_policymanager.html">piro's policy manager[/url] for firebird, it's easy to turn javascript back on for sites that you want to be able to run javascript for.
Title: i don't want to be deleted (also a geeky question)
Post by: slink on January 16, 2004, 08:02:46 am
Quote from: "misterhaan"

actually i've found that it gets rid of a lot of ads that aren't popups


If you're bothered about them, choose the option 'block images not from this site'. That will nuke every ad ever.
But then Av's and things won't work, so it's not really worth it.

Basically there are just some levels of the internet you have to live with, and you try doing a compact menu for a website that isn't in Jscript.
If I had the academics turning it off they'd never get round the site, and I stopped being able to use flash a long time ago!