The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: AugustWest on January 14, 2004, 07:19:54 pm
-
And for those who will inevitably wonder but be afraid to ask, I hope to go from 157 to 130.
If you do that you'll be half my weight, Tiny.
Knickers? Your mother-in-law is a golfer?
-
Well, ##### is censored.
And I'm probably half your height, too. ;)
-
You're just a regular little spinner, aren't you?
I'm 6'2", so that would make you 3'1", Tinker Bell.
All kidding aside, good luck with the diet. I'm trying to drop about 30 myself. Are you working out?
-
Does knockin' boots count as a workout? ;)
Actually I'm 5'6 1/2." So I'm trying to get down to my pre-engagement weight before I start poppin' out the babies. It's a race against time.
Not really, but it sounds more exciting when you put it that way...
-
poppin' out the babies.
Things I will not be involved in for $200, Alex.
I've considered getting back down to my wrestling weight, but 103–119 pounds just doesn't sound healthy anymore.
-
eep. Wrestlers are almost never healthy.
Often hott, but seldom healthy.
-
Actually I'm 5'6 1/2."
Bummer, I was hoping you really were half his height, and we could be the club of little short women who quit their jobs lately.
Well, OK, I'm a little better than half his height. Really, within the normal range of heights for women. And I don't appreciate being asked "Normal for what country?" or "Are you rounding up?"
-
eep. Wrestlers are almost never healthy.
Often hott, but seldom healthy.
Yes'm, my last boyfriend was a wrestler in his high school years, but one of the veryvery built ones.
Me, I'm the tall spindly type, though the idea of actually disclosing my height and weight on a message board seems a little.... well, I'm not into it.
-
Talking of half height...
(http://www.canadian-studies.net/slink/fink.jpg)
They're about knee height to the human characters by the way.
-
Explanation required, Mr Slink - is this a game? It looked like a photo at first, and then I noticed also the perspective of the shot....some kind of game where miniature samurai run around slashing at your calves?
-
some kind of game where miniature samurai run around slashing at your calves?
Final Fantasy XI. I'm playing Fink, who is my second character, thus no Slink.
And although the Taru-Taru, or munchkins, are usually best as mage's, they can be samurai yes.
And they do look awfully cute waving little swords at monsters 10 times their size.
-
A few friends of mine and I were briefly tempted to band together and start a Taru Taru Dragoon legion, poinging across the scenery on our spears.
Anyway, I am a fat midget and have basically no inclination to change this, but good luck to those attempting to lose weight.
-
Aaaaahhh. The game talk has escaped to the kitchen.
~Paul
-
Aaaaahhh. The game talk has escaped to the kitchen.
Which begs the question: why is there not an Iron Chef RPG
-
Which begs the question: why is there not an Iron Chef RPG
No! It doesn't beg the question! It RAISES the question. Begging the question is a specific kind of logical fallacy in which the conclusion is one of the premisses!
Oh, and I'm back from a long and hella-depression induced hiatus. And I'm feeling much better, thank you.
-
Which begs the question: why is there not an Iron Chef RPG
I was just thinking I'd rather have a board game - and discovered that they already sell one at the Food Network site.
-
I took meds in the 90s and not only was I depressed but the fuck*ng things made me so G-d'ed horny it was unbelievable.
All better now, though.
Glad you're feeling better too, Mite.
-
Which begs the question: why is there not an Iron Chef RPG
Firstly, welcome back Mite! Good to see you're back, and well.
Secondly, you could have an RPG of this - Cooking Master Boy (http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,750,uemnuw,cooking_master_.html)
It's a fantastic show!
And I could be tempted by a Taru dragoon. Though my main character has become my Hume and thus I can't really be bothered trying to lvl another character.
Although I could give up on the human and work on a Taru Ninja!
-
No! It doesn't beg the question! It RAISES the question. Begging the question is a specific kind of logical fallacy in which the conclusion is one of the premises!
One thing I love about this board - one of the intangibles that give it the graham cracker crust that keeps me coming back - is that I can pretty much always count on any given thread coming around to semantics and / or alcohol.
Two of my favorite things.
Oh, and I looked it up, and goddammit, you're right - you have no idea how it aggrieves me to get caught out in matters of language - and I can only offer in my defense the excellent, hysterical use of the phrase (albeit in the second, less appropriate sense) in Shellac's "Il Porno Star". Well played.
-
Congrats JL on your decision to join Weight Watchers.
~Paul
-
One thing I love about this board - one of the intangibles that give it the graham cracker crust that keeps me coming back - is that I can pretty much always count on any given thread coming around to semantics and / or alcohol.
Preach on, brother. And yes, this may be the happiest thing.
-
Y'know, there's a pretty cool Weight Watchers app for Palm OS. WW themselves put the kibosh on it, because it's not licensed, but it's still floating around out there. I may be able to send someone a copy if they want it.
Signed,
thinks about Weight Watchers, but continues to be a fat bastard instead of actually doing it
-
I've broken down and am trying Atkins. Today was my first day.
This is some kinda weird shit, I'm telling you. All I can eat is meat, meat, meat. Also eggs and cheese. Seriously.
Here's what I've eaten today: 4 hard-boiled eggs, 1 can of sardines, 1 can of tuna, a hunk of swiss cheese, two chicken breasts, two cups of lettuce and one cup of spinach.
Can't have any caffeine, sugar or alcohol. Harsh.
I'm not hungry, really, but I'm craving carbs. The book says the cravings will go away as soon as I burn all my stored carbs and start burning fat and protein. I guess I'll just go eat a pork chop and wait till that happens.
-
Can you drink milk? Because the guy at the supermarket was just today saying they used to throw away almost all of the whole milk and now they've started running out of it.
-
I've broken down and am trying Atkins. Today was my first day.
Weight Watchers is the way to go. You should give them a try. Atkins only delivers short term results. I've been doing WW for a year and it's really working for me. You'll never stop craving carbs because you love them and your body needs them.
~Paul
-
Weight Watchers tends to be geared toward women, and counting *anything* isn't very practical in the long term.
I mean, you have to ask yourself: Can I do this for the REST OF MY LIFE and be happy? Because that's pretty much what it takes if you want to keep the weight off. Or so I've heard, as I've found that as soon as I stop doing whatever it is that I changed I tend to just go right back up the scale again.
For what it's worth, I know some people who have lost a lot of weight on the Atkins, but be prepared for HELLA constipation. Eating all of that meat will do wonky things to your intestines.
I did Atkins until I started to get pains in my heart about a week in. Most doctors will tell you that a restrictive diet of anything but total calories is pretty bad for you in one way or another. There's a reason they have that pyramid.
My problem is that I tend to be on the go a lot and eat whatever I can scrounge up quickly while I'm out, or make quickly when I'm home. That, and of course I am drawn inexorably to the Chinese food buffets. So much General Tso's Chicken, so little time...
-
I've broken down and am trying Atkins. Today was my first day.
This is some kinda weird shit, I'm telling you. All I can eat is meat, meat, meat. Also eggs and cheese. Seriously.
Here's what I've eaten today: 4 hard-boiled eggs, 1 can of sardines, 1 can of tuna, a hunk of swiss cheese, two chicken breasts, two cups of lettuce and one cup of spinach.
Can't have any caffeine, sugar or alcohol. Harsh.
I'm not hungry, really, but I'm craving carbs. The book says the cravings will go away as soon as I burn all my stored carbs and start burning fat and protein. I guess I'll just go eat a pork chop and wait till that happens.
Atkins works. Stick with it and you should do OK, but be conscious of your body...and the alcohol can come back after induction is over, and then once you are on maintenance, it's what your body can handle....good luck!
I think that moderation is the key to almost all diets out there right now, and some people need to count to help them know or rediscover where moderation is. So I have no problem with Weight Watchers or other diets that 'count' things. Although I do have a problem with programs that require you to buy all your food from them. I just think there is a point where people MUST take responsibility for what they eat or else you create dependency, and I don't think that is a good or positive way to go.
Support from peers and family is incredibly important, though and programs with that built in have an important component covered.
-
I found it also helps to have a buddy to exercise with, maybe even someone else who's trying to shed some pounds so that the two of you can be each other's support system.
-
Well, the first week is over, and the results are in:
Starting weight: 160 lbs.
Yesterday's weight: 153 lbs.
Net loss: 7 lbs.*
So, yeah. Seeing as how I stopped being hungry between meals after the first 3 days, and haven't had to give up ice cream, I think I'll be stickin' with this one.
Pedro has lost a similar amount of weight, as well.
*Results not typical
-
That's a lot to lose in one week. You'll lose a lot of fluid the first couple of weeks, and if you're not exercising like CRAZY, a lot of your early weight loss will be due to losing lean muscle mass (the engine that burns fat) and not fat, since your body will go into preservation and starvation mode.
But congrats. Sounds like a good start. Just don't be disappointed if you don't lose 7 pounds every week. It probably took years to put it on, it will take awhile to pull it back off again. So chin up.
I know a guy who has lost over 90 pounds since last January on WW, and he's still on the programme and doing well. He's even talking about running a marathon!
So I'm considering joining. Maybe just to get their stuff. I really have no interest in sitting in on weekly meetings with a groupful of middle aged fat chicks. No offense to any MAFCs out there.
-
OK, now Burger King has "whopper platters" where there's no bun. This Atkins thing has gone too far.
-
OK, now Burger King has "whopper platters" where there's no bun. This Atkins thing has gone too far.
I think I was troubled when I saw my first billboard for low-carb beer. Especially low-carb skanky beer. How precisely did this happen?!
-
OK, now Burger King has "whopper platters" where there's no bun. This Atkins thing has gone too far.
I think I was troubled when I saw my first billboard for low-carb beer. Especially low-carb skanky beer. How precisely did this happen?!
It'll pass. Diet "Fads" always do. Just eat healthily and in moderation, increase your activity level and keep a healthy eye on the six dimensions of your overall wellness and you will become healthier and lose unwanted or extra weight. There is debate about it, but the six dimensions I learned are:
Physical, Emotional, Intellectual, Occupational, Social and Spiritual.
Balance these aspects of your overall wellness and, generally speaking, you should be in pretty good shape all around.
-
Weighed myself at the gym tonight, on the scale I've decided will be my standard. After one week of Atkins, I've lost either 3 or 4 pounds. I forgot exactly where I started, but I know it's one of two numbers.
Anyhow. The all meat thing is getting a little easier and I'm finding ways to get some variety included, lest I go mad. I am beginning to notice some of the promised effects. My appetite in general is reduced. I don't seem to be hungry all the time, or at least not so much. This is a big thing for me -- I like to eat and I have a low resistance to hunger. My energy level seems to be increasing, but it's hard to tell with that.
I don't think I could handle eating this few carbs long-term. When you move on to the next stages, you ramp up little by little. With some more veggies and the occasional fruit on the menu, I could probably do this for a long while.
-
I finally bit the bullet on Friday and started working on a healthier living plan. I'm not on a diet, exactly (since diets have these rules and you have to punish yourself and all - not exactly my scene) but I've been reading up on degenerative cell replicative failure (that which causes aging) and people that eat low calorie but SUPER high nutrition foods tend to live longer.
So I've been reading up on how to be healthy - and the three meal a day counting "points" wasn't really my cup o' tea (although I did buy the Weight Watchers At Home kit for recipes and tips and stuff) and whereas before I'd eat two meals a day that were high in both carbs and fat, but breaking down my meals into four times a day chunks and eating less food with fewer calories but that's really high in a balanced nutrition (sometimes it's hard to find foods that are high in certain vitamins so I have supplements to swallow when I'm feeling lazy and don't feel like making dark green leafy vegetable dishes).
Anyway, I'm down 8 1/2 pounds since Friday (four days) which sounds impressive but you have to keep in mind that I can take a leak and lose 5 pounds.
I'm not feeling like I'm torturing myself, and chicken is really low in calories (not that it's all that high in nutrition, though) and hot sauce is practically zero calories so as long as I can whip myself up some veggies and chicken and add some furious burning heat to it I'm all set, I think.
I'd exercise more if it weren't for the snow, although all that shoveling I did today made my heart hurt.
-
Anyway, I'm down 8 1/2 pounds since Friday (four days)
Just bite me, Nnn-kay.
-
It's all good, chief. I can take a crap and lose 10 pounds.
-
Is that cause you're full of it? Heh.
-
Well, while we're sharing...
I'm down a grand total of 7.5 lbs in 2 weeks. Pedro (I hope he doesn't mind me sharing for him) is down 12.5 lbs, and I couldn't be prouder of him. We definitely both feel better and we're starting to settle in to our new eating patterns. I haven't even had to give up ice cream after supper, which I must say is an absolute requirement for me. (Ice cream is my biggest weakness, foodwise.) I think I'm at a small plateau already, which they say is normal, so if I don't lose by my next weigh-in day (next Monday) I might have to try to kick-start my weight loss with -- heaven forbid! -- excercise. But I'm really trying to avoid that, if possible. :lol:
-
I lost 1.2 pounds this week. Hella WW style.
~Paul
-
Hey August - I was looking back at your post about what you ate...I'm curious - are you working from Atkins' books directly? Also, there is an atkins support webboard which is interesting although it is mainly populated by people with clinical obesity, which is not a frame of reference useful to my wife and I....but gives good diet tips and good explanations about some of the food choices.
Get some Flaxseed flour and I'll send you the recipe for flaxseed pancakes. They are pretty good and very Atkins Friendly. Also a favorite Atkins breakfast here is, you buy lox (and you can buy the cheap kind that is sort of like lox scraps!) and put a dollop of sour cream and some capers (if you want/can) and roll them up. Bite sized, tasty and totally in the diet zone.
-
Yep, working from the book directly.
Lox and anything is a favorite breakfast of mine, Atkins or no Atkins. Kinda pricey, though. The hardboiled egg thing is working out well for breakfast because it's portable and I generally eat breakfast in the car on the way to work.
I will definitely try the flaxseed thing.
-
on the way to work.
You know, AW, I've been meaning to ask you this for awhile now.
I know you're a lawyer, although I don't know if that's your actual job job or just a side business - but you tend to post here a lot during the day, and so I'm wondering:
a) Do you actually do work while at work?
and
b) Do you bill message board time to one single client, or spread it out evenly among several?
-
Beware: the Atkins support messageboard (http://www.atkinsfriends.com)
Don't say I didn't warn you.
-
on the way to work.
You know, AW, I've been meaning to ask you this for awhile now.
I know you're a lawyer, although I don't know if that's your actual job job or just a side business - but you tend to post here a lot during the day, and so I'm wondering:
a) Do you actually do work while at work?
and
b) Do you bill message board time to one single client, or spread it out evenly among several?
I work for the government.
a) Yes, and plenty of it. I'm just highly talented at multi-tasking. Right now I'm talking on the phone AND sending someone to death row.
b)see above re: government.
-
Beware: the Atkins support messageboard (http://www.atkinsfriends.com)
Don't say I didn't warn you.
That is actually a different one - the one we were looking it looked like this one except all the avatars were before and afters of people who were very overweight and are now somewhat overweight. Occasionally the posts are hopelessly pathetic but most of the people have their heads on pretty straight and the rest is mildly humorous in a heartrending sort of way.
this is the Atkins Board (http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.com)
-
"I'm hungry all the time and all I do is eat."
"It sounds like you're not eating enough fat."
-- an exchange from the above board
Meanwhile, Dr. Atkins himself died from complications due to high cholesterol.
Any diet that suggests eating more bacon (being careful not to drain too much fat off) just HAS to raise some red flags in you.
I was on the Atkins for a couple of weeks because I know a few people who lost a lot of weight on it (although they mostly lost muscle mass, and one of them was later in the hospital for three weeks due to malnutrition) until my doctor suggested that I would die within three months if I stayed on that diet.
And I LOVES me some bacon. I just don't eat it more than once every two months, and only a few strips when I do.
-
I can't find any reference to an autopsy on Dr Atkins, although there was much controversy over his death in New York, where he suffered head injuries after falling on a footpath in the winter. The widow and Mayor Bloomberg had a much publicized war of words after the Mayor made some somewhat inappropriate comments about Dr Atkins' health and weight. I imagine it may have been partially a response to a lawsuit filed by the family over the walkway being inadequately cleaned / de-iced.
I don't think it's proven that his head injuries were due to his diet.
-
Well, personally I prefer giraffe and poultry to red meat. That's what I've been concentrating by choice, so I'm hoping cholesterol won't be much of an issue. Of course, I loves me some pork, too. But hey, everything in moderation.
-
The diet I've been working on:
1) Move to a city, far away from home.
2) Walk everywhere.
3) Become very, very poor.
When I moved up to New York, I was around 175. Then, I didn't mount a scale for six months. In January, as a lark (and also because I've had to start punching new holes in my belts) I hopped on the scale. I've lost 25 pounds. Not a MASSIVE loss, considering the length of time, but I'm pleased.
-
"It sounds like you're not eating enough fat."
Although interestingly research has shown that people who eat more fat will not feel as full as quickly.
It's the protein that makes you feel full.
-
Heroin and crack have been shown to dramatically cause weight loss too. Hepatitis, AIDS and tuberculosis are also helpful.
New York is a great place to find any and all of these. Best of luck!
-
Weekly update:
Weight loss since last Monday: 3 lbs.
Total weight lost since 12 Jan: 10.5 lbs.
Oh, yeah. I'm well on the way to my pre-wedding weight. The bad news: I've dipped below 150, so I get 2 fewer points a day now. That puts me at 20 points a day, while Pedro still gets 26. For those extra 6 points, I could have two scoops of ice cream after supper.
-
Weekly update:
Weight loss since last Monday: 3 lbs.
Total weight lost since 12 Jan: 10.5 lbs.
Oh, yeah. I'm well on the way to my pre-wedding weight. The bad news: I've dipped below 150, so I get 2 fewer points a day now. That puts me at 20 points a day, while Pedro still gets 26. For those extra 6 points, I could have two scoops of ice cream after supper.
That is awesome, you are awesome. Keep up the good work. Rah Rah Rah. (Everybody needs encouragement). If you exercise you can have those points back.
~Paul
-
Thanks, and congrats to you on losing 1.5 this week. I'm totally terrified I'm going to hit a plateau soon.
Exercise is a last resort...I know it's awful, but I'm the laziest bum around. Although I suspect my recent success has been the result of countless hours of home improvements. It's certainly more activity than sitting at a desk answering phones 8 hours a day. Wait 'til I get back to my regularly scheduled slack-assitude.
-
That is awesome, you are awesome. Keep up the good work. Rah Rah Rah. (Everybody needs encouragement). If you exercise you can have those points back.
You...are...rad! (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06282002)
-
But J! COWBOYS!
-
Well hey, I'll update my weightage, too.
End of college (may 2003)- 146 lbs.
Now - 131 lbs.
I'm on the "have a really stressful job where I have to exercise a lot to maintain my sanity and I don't buy snack food" diet. I'm within spitting distance of that 130 mark, and I think I've got about 6 pounds to go before I'd be comfortable with my ass in a bikini this summer. Yeehaw!
Congrats to everybody else! And somebody help me stay away from eating loads of really good bread and even better cheese...
-
Woah, mite, I'd be thrilled to be at 131. My ultimate goal is 130, actually -- that's what I weighed when Pedro proposed in November 2001. Ah, yes -- marriage. Makes ya fat and happy.
-
Since it seems like the thing to do today: 8 pounds after two weeks on Atkins. Probably more, since I last weighed on Saturday.
My two weeks on induction are finished today, but I probably will stay on it until I get back from California on Friday. I'm jonesin' for some peanuts, though.
-
Exercise is a last resort...I know it's awful, but I'm the laziest bum around.
I think I could give you a run for your money as Head Crusher in the Federal Department of Lazy. Seriously. If I didn't have the metabolism of a ferret, I'd probably weigh like 1,000 pounds.
But the doctor said I had to start exercising, and I found a way that breaches "tolerable" and actually pierces the black, oozing heart of enjoyable. It involves a hands-free exercise bike and a Game Boy Advance SP. Be sure to bring a towel.
-
If I didn't have the metabolism of a ferret, I'd probably weigh like 1,000 pounds.
Similarly. I weigh like 130lbs probably.
But I too really need to start excercising, since I can't walk 30 yards without spending a night in pain.
After the amountof walking I did last week and how little pain I succumbed to though, I just need to keep at it to some extent, as opposed to sitting in front of my computer doing fuck all like today.
Oh dear.
-
But the doctor said I had to start exercising, and I found a way that breaches "tolerable" and actually pierces the black, oozing heart of enjoyable. It involves a hands-free exercise bike and a Game Boy Advance SP. Be sure to bring a towel.
Wow. You...you've brought tears to my eyes.
I'll have legs like the She-Hulk. Only, you know, less...green.
-
Woah, mite, I'd be thrilled to be at 131. My ultimate goal is 130, actually -- that's what I weighed when Pedro proposed in November 2001. Ah, yes -- marriage. Makes ya fat and happy.
Well yeah, but I'm also about 5'3". With "good birthing hips" (yes a guy actually told me that when I was in high school).
But today was sucky, so now I'm self-medicating with buffalo wings and a bottle of wine. Next stop - cookie dough! Bikini season is still months away, right?
-
Bikini season
Just getting a head start on the requests for pics.
-
I'll have legs like the She-Hulk. Only, you know, less...green.
Seconded on the pictures.
-
Well yeah, but I'm also about 5'3". With "good birthing hips" (yes a guy actually told me that when I was in high school).
That guy must have been my ex-boyfriend, because I was told the exact same thing when I was in high school. His exact words were, "You have nice wide hips, you'll have an easy childbirth." Sadly, he meant it as a compliment.
I should also add that I was 5'6" and weighed about 105 lbs. at the time.
-
It's my turn to weigh in here. This week i'm even steven. No loss, no gain. Oh well, better luck next week.
~Paul
-
I was down 16 pounds, but now I'm back up two. Of course, once I pee I'll be down the two pounds again.
Remember, folks, a pint of water/urine weighs a pound. So try to evacuate before weighing-in - that way it'll seem like you lost more.
-
And you sweat a pound in your sleep so weigh first thing in the morning.
-
And you sweat a pound in your sleep so weigh first thing in the morning.
Is that just Jough you speak of, or am I really put off ever sharing a bed with anyone ever again?
-
Both the pee thing and the sweat thing are common knowledge in wrestling. Except we were always warned by our coach *not* to weigh first thing in the morning unless we didn't plan to eat or drink anything until the official weigh-in since the first beverage you drink replaces the sweat-pound.
-
And you sweat a pound in your sleep so weigh first thing in the morning.
Well, that explains several things in my life...
Don't ask. I mean it.
-
His exact words were, "You have nice wide hips, you'll have an easy childbirth." Sadly, he meant it as a compliment.
Haha, I totally imagine Zoltan, the evil prince of Mars, saying this to some captive Earth-women while stroking his tiny beard.
"SURELY MY SEED SHALL FIND FECUNDITY WITHIN YOU, AND THE BIRTHING WILL BE EXPEDITED BY YOUR WIDE HIPS! ZOLTAN SHALL RULE THE UNIVERSE!"
-
His exact words were, "You have nice wide hips, you'll have an easy childbirth." Sadly, he meant it as a compliment.
Haha, I totally imagine Zoltan, the evil prince of Mars, saying this to some captive Earth-women while stroking his tiny beard.
"SURELY MY SEED SHALL FIND FECUNDITY WITHIN YOU, AND THE BIRTHING WILL BE EXPEDITED BY YOUR WIDE HIPS! ZOLTAN SHALL RULE THE UNIVERSE!"
Well, now I can't stop picturing it.
I think teenage boys should be advised of this image. Perhaps we could print up a pamphlet: "Things Which, If You Say Them To Your Date, Will Make You Sound Like An Evil Prince of Mars." I could chip in a couple, personally.
-
[I think teenage boys should be advised of this image. Perhaps we could print up a pamphlet: "Things Which, If You Say Them To Your Date, Will Make You Sound Like An Evil Prince of Mars." I could chip in a couple, personally.
This made me laugh out loud harder than anything else I've heard, seen, or thought of today.
And I dreamed about screwing Steve Martin, so that's saying something.
-
What the hell -- I'll start a thread.
-
No one's been mentioning their diet which I know is not a good indicator of sucess. As for myself, i've been on a plateau for two full months now, but this week I am not losing the same pound again and have finally broken through to new weight loss. It's only .6 tenths of a pound, but every little bit matters. This is a hard fought battle, but I am commited to seeing it through.
~Paul
(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN8654-E500.jpg)
-
I'm currently hovering and trying to get back on track after Easter dinner and a few other lapses. Still, I've lost 24 pounds since January and I work out regularly. I'm in the best shape I've been in my adult life. And I still need to lose another 20 pounds. But I'm taking it slow and easy now.
-
Many congratulations to Paul and August!
-
Congrats to all! I haven't mentioned my weight loss lately because I figured nobody was that interested...but I've lost a total of 19 lbs despite going slightly off-track the week of our DC trip and again at Easter. Pedro has lost 20 - 25, depending what day it is -- his weight fluctuates like crazy. I'm pretty pleased with my loss so far -- I've dropped two dress sizes and had to buy new jeans. Just seven pounds to go before I'm at a post-college low. (I weighed 135 at graduation.) My original goal was 130 but I'm thinking I might go for an additional 5 lbs. after that, since I've done so well so far. It all depends on how I feel when I get there.
Anybody else? C'mon, let's get some success stories up in this piece!
-
The best diet is not overeating at holiday feasts. Seriously.
I haven't lost any weight in any recent lapses of time; back a few years ago I lost ten pounds on my honeymoon - walking around Rome will do that to you, no matter how much you eat. I wish I could contribute positively through this thread, though I swear to Highest-Power-Of-Choice that the above advice is golden.
-
I'm hovering around 200 pounds. But, I can go 40 straight minutes on the cardio machine now (at HR=144 or higher), which I guarantee you would have resulted in vomiting 6 months ago. And, I've increased the machine's level since I started. (Tues, for example, I did 540 calories in 40 minutes)
I'm starting to wonder about the tradeoff. I have been eating, to some degree healthier and I think I'm in better physical shape. But I'm the same shape, so to speak, and about the same weight.
I know that muscle weighs more than fat but I don't think I'm putting on muscle doing these CV workouts. And my gut ain't going nowhere. So what is the actual effect of these workouts?
-
I know that muscle weighs more than fat but I don't think I'm putting on muscle doing these CV workouts. And my gut ain't going nowhere. So what is the actual effect of these workouts?
Do you feel better? Do you notice a difference in your overall energy level? Can you physically do more than you could before? Then it's working.
That said, you might consider swapping weight training for your CV workouts twice a week. Some combination of the two is the best strategy for losing fat and improving cardio health while building muscle tone. The more muscle mass you have, the more calories per minute you burn doing CV, so they compliment each other quite well.
-
I know that muscle weighs more than fat but I don't think I'm putting on muscle doing these CV workouts. And my gut ain't going nowhere. So what is the actual effect of these workouts?
You're not going to put on any muscle doing cardio. You have to start lifting weights.
-
I workout roughly every other day. 30 minutes cardio on the elliptical machine (which I love because it doesn't hurt my knees at all) followed by 45 - 60 minutes of weightlifting. I alternate arms/chest with legs but do abs and back every time.
-
I know the cardio I'm doing is building some musclemass - it's an elliptical machine with serious resistance (progammable for hill courses, etc.) and it makes me work the whole machine using just my arms for about 8 minutes total (out of 40)which is a <bitch> the third and fourth time it comes around.
The suggestion to do large-muscle work prior to the CV makes really good sense, though, in terms of a 'cleansing' effect - I will try that.
As for my general feeling of wellbeing - I have a couple things going which are improving, having to with a theory we (Doc and I) are working that I hypersecrete adrenalin. This would explain a lot of things in my life starting with a probably incorrect diagnosis of hyperactivity in grade school and some minor behavior problems throughout my younger life.
So cutting caffeine and other stimulants helps and CV exercise helps. The adrenalin constantly in the system with no fighting or running away becomes pure stress, so the exercise helps a lot with general stress, and also ameliorates the other symptomatic problem which is chronic GI problems. So primarily, it's therapeutic but also I would love to be rid of this gut. I may try a yoga-pilates class they have here that may be good for both.
I also should watch what I eat better and workout more, but I don't want to become obsessive about it. Although I do want to get a swim coach and complete a triathlon before I leave here.
-
Today, I lost my twenty-first pound, bringing me down to 139 lbs and within sight of my goal.
::Takes a bow::
No autographs, please.
-
Today, I lost my twenty-first pound, bringing me down to 139 lbs and within sight of my goal.
::Takes a bow::
No autographs, please.
Pictures!!!!!
~Paul
-
I'm just going to gloat for a while about being young and having a (relatively) fast-ass metabolism.
HOWEVER.
Working in a diner and getting 2 free, bacon-heavy meals a day is starting to take a toll; I haven't actually gotten heavier, but I feel more slothful. I think a switch to salads (at work, as opposed to giant heaps of home fries drizzled in cheese, with hossradish sour cream) and water for a while should help me get back that old loving feeling. However, I'm a lot stronger for all of the moving tables and stuff; I can now lift and carry a small add-on table above my head for the length of the restaurant.
Congrats to everyone, for all of your progress. Fitter days for all!
-
Weight Watcher's Log Stardate 21463: It's still happening. Every Monday and Tuesday, I log my food intake studiously. Every Wednesday or Thursday, something comes up that keeps me awake overnight. Every Thursday and Friday I binge like a mad cow. Every day, I have to re-adjust my belt four times at least. I'm hovering at 193 pounds. This appears to be directly between two belt holes. If it's too loose, my ##### sag. If it's too tight, I get gas. I can only hope that someday I will get a full week's sleep and be able to break this terrible cycle.
Weight Watcher's Log, Supplimental: A curious thing. My wife joined Weight Watchers Online and I've tagged along with a spreadsheet for a points log. I've noticed it makes me feel less like a man. It's not a manly eggs and bacon diet, oh no! It's the kind for which there are meetings. Meetings where people discuss their bodies and possibly their shoes. I don't go, but it's still immasculating. This effect is offset only by the fact that my wife is getting hotter by the hour, and totally let's me bang her.
Mad cows binge on the brains of other cows.
-
immasculating
Yes. In the same way as the immasculate conception must have been.
Just because you're my husband doesn't mean I won't pick on you when I see an opportunity. In fact, more so.
-
Just because you're my husband doesn't mean I won't pick on you when I see an opportunity. In fact, more so.
Damn, you wives are all alike!
I've kind of plateaued on the Atkins thing. I've still cut waaay back on sugars/breads/starches but not quite so extreme. I'm continuing to gradually lose weight. Hard to tell the past week or so, because my workouts have been limited. I tore a ligament lifting weights and took a week off. Been getting PT and taking naproxen. Still have some pain, but gradually getting better, and I can do most of my workouts.
Anyhow, in mid-January when I started this thing I was at 264 or so. In February when Jeopardy was filmed I had lost 10 pounds. Lately I weigh in at 239. I've also lowered by Body Fat percentage from 33% to 30%.
So, this injury sucks. Not just because of the pain (which is annoying but not insurmountable). I don't want to lose my momentum. I've gotten into the exercise habit and I don't want that to (ever) change.
-
The elliptical trainer is still your friend. Grind out extra time on there and when you're ready, hit the weights again.
-
immasculating
Yes. In the same way as the immasculate conception must have been.
Just because you're my husband doesn't mean I won't pick on you when I see an opportunity. In fact, more so.
emasculate
adj : having unsuitable feminine qualities (syn: effeminate, epicene,
cissy, sissified, sissyish, sissy)
immaculate
adj 1: completely neat and clean; "the apartment was immaculate";
"in her immaculate white uniform"; "JL immaculately tore Pedro's spelling and cognitive abilities an new one. How emasculating."
-
She's setting you up for some sweet, sweet grudge-sex.
Of course, a good grudge-**** is better if you don't like the other person all that much, but have fun with it anyhow.
-
http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/
One of the founders of AutoDesk and AutoCAD began a diet program called "The Hacker's Diet". It treats weight loss and maintenance from an engineering and management perspective.
I really like it because it's geared towards engineers and geeks like me. The basic premise is that you can gain control of any system if you understand how it works. Hence the "hacker" label.
Exercise is super-important for health. I have asthma, and I control it through exercise. I work out five days a week. I do one mile on the treadmill (I run a nine-minute mile, which is actually jogging, I guess) and then I run 3 additional miles on the elliptical machine. Calorie counting for the rest of my life is the only way that I'm ever going to get back to 109 (I'm 5'5") and REMAIN there. So that is what I am doing.
Plus I plan to start weightlifting once my body fat percentage is below 20%. That way it will make sure that my bones stay strong despite being lighter. My ultimate goal is to run a half-marathon, which is 13 miles.
I have had awesome success with the common-sense approach: picking healthy and nutrient-dense foods, counting calories, and working out. I have lost 27 pounds since February 1, 2004. Weight loss of one to two pounds per week is sustainable.
The other cool thing about Walker's program is that he has all these Excel tools that he developed for monitoring your weight and progress. Heh.. kind of reminds me of Beef's program for milk and eggs.
-
My first instance of looking at this thread. Everyone probably knows that I quit smoking. Helpful to me in this endeavor was finally hitting the gym again. I was working out fairly regularly last year when I quit smoking, and I was at 165 lbs, and wanted to bulk up to 175 - 180 lbs. The first time I went to the gym after quitting this time - you guessed it - 178 lbs. Success! Also, I looked as fat as a tick on the back of a hog. However, I'm still not smoking, and I'm working out for roughly an hour a day (1/2 elliptical CV and 1/2 weights) and between the two I feel about 1600% better. And I don't really care how fat I am because the sex is of much longer duration, and I can taste my food.
-
It's odd. I find it much harder to control my diet and stay on track controling my eating than I do to maintain my exercise program. It's a struggle (sometimes) to eat the way I should. But after a year of regular exercise, if I don't workout I miss it. I'm also amazed by the effect exercise has on my emotional state.
Linnea, I don't understand why you're waiting to start weightlifting. I'm certainly no expert, but I would think that weightlifting would help lower your body fat percentage. That's how I perceive it has affected me. If you're building muscle, that's tissue that isn't fat.
-
And I don't really care how fat I am because the sex is of much longer duration, and I can taste my food.
I confess that I find these noble words and will endeavor to live by them. (Optionally, I'm just a lazy fatass, but hey.)
-
Linnea, I don't understand why you're waiting to start weightlifting. I'm certainly no expert, but I would think that weightlifting would help lower your body fat percentage. That's how I perceive it has affected me. If you're building muscle, that's tissue that isn't fat.
You're certainly right about that. However, I had some bad luck in college with weightlifting. I was pretty chunky when I started doing cardio and weightlifting, and the weights just made me chunkier.
Looking back, I probably didn't restrict my caloric intake enough. A lot of people experience an increase in appetite when they start exercising, and I was probably packing on even more calorie-wise than I was expending. However...Running and the elliptical machine are still load-bearing exercise, although you are correct--they arent' as effective as maintaining lean tissue quite as well as weight training does.
I've read all over the place that women don't need to worry about bulking since we lack testosterone to really do much bulking. However, I want to be really lean and toned, so I'm going to stick with the Hacker's Diet and straight cardio before I start weightlifting again.
But again, you are correct. Weight training is extremely important for maintaining lean body mass and good bone density.
-
Linnea, thanks for the link to the Hacker's diet. I know he's just re-presenting information I already knew, but goddamnit he just puts it so well for me to understand it anew. I'm going to try it -- including the exercise plan -- as soon as I get through this twelver of Bass that's chilling in the fridge.
Once I quit drinking on weeknights, I'm sure like ten pounds will just fly off my body like mosquitos deserting a dead antelope after filling themselves in the serengeti. (This happens after the vultures get their fill.)
-
choop, I completely agree.
Walker doesn't really give any new information, but his manner of delivery just gelled with me, unlike any other book of similar subject manner. Most diet books that I have read are geared to Neanderthals or something.
-
http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/
Thank you Linnea.
~Paul
-
I jumped rope the other day for the first time probably since I was in grade school. I was just out in the garage with the music basting, just a-tearin' it up. The next day, I could not walk due to extreme pain in my calves. The jumping of the rope uses muscles that people may not be accustomed to using, as at least for me, I do not find myself making little hops like that over and over in my daily existence.
-
God damn it, I thought this Hacker's Diet was going to consist of what I do, which consists of sitting at my computer for hours eating cereal and popsicles.
-
I jumped rope the other day for the first time probably since I was in grade school. I was just out in the garage with the music basting, just a-tearin' it up. The next day, I could not walk due to extreme pain in my calves. The jumping of the rope uses muscles that people may not be accustomed to using, as at least for me, I do not find myself making little hops like that over and over in my daily existence.
Totally understandable. Jumping rope is hardcore exercise in camouflage. That's why it's the preferred form of excercise for both the Girscouts of America and Rocky Balboa.
-
It's sort of funny, because I'm pretty active on the ol' elliptical machine, and the sweetie and I play tennis, ride bikes, and . . . other exercise-related activity. I grabbed the jump rope, I was wailing away thinking "hell, this ain't so bad," and the next day I nearly needed assistance just to get out of bed.
-
Ooh! Easter egg! (http://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/top10.html)
Found in the Hacker's Diet. Great stuff! Thank Pete for Mozilla and the Fedora project.
-
*lurch*
*groan*
*stagger*
It lives!
I just thought I'd resurrect this thread to see if everyone's still ridin' the weight loss train. I reached my 25 lb. milestone this week, bringing me down to a lean mean 134.5. Four and a half pounds to go!
Anybody else doing well? Pedro was off the wagon for a while but he's back on now.
Also, before (http://www.x-omega.com/jamie/fat.jpg) and after (http://www.x-omega.com/jamie/7lbsfromgoal.jpg) pictures. Note that the "after" picture was taken about 2 weeks ago...I've lost another 2 lbs. since then but it really doesn't show.
Apparently, dieting hasn't made my smile less crooked.
-
I just thought I'd resurrect this thread to see if everyone's still ridin' the weight loss train.
I stopped my weight gain and started to lose (almost ten of the fifteen off), but I chalk that more up to starting smoking again than to any conscious diet or exercise program. I have been getting outside and doing active things more often since it warmed up, though.
-
I've been holding steady after losing around 25lbs. I'm not really eating well or exercising, though - it's just too damned hot out.
My goal, though, is to lose another 25lbs. by the end of the summer. Then I'll only have about 75lbs. to go!
-
*after (http://www.x-omega.com/jamie/7lbsfromgoal.jpg) pictures
P.S. UNGH!
-
*after (http://www.x-omega.com/jamie/7lbsfromgoal.jpg) pictures
P.S. UNGH!
Oh, you.
-
*after (http://www.x-omega.com/jamie/7lbsfromgoal.jpg) pictures
P.S. UNGH!
Oh, you.
Seriously, dude, I don't think I've ever broken the 9th commandment before. ;)
-
Also, before (http://www.x-omega.com/jamie/fat.jpg) and after (http://www.x-omega.com/jamie/7lbsfromgoal.jpg) pictures. Note that the "after" picture was taken about 2 weeks ago...I've lost another 2 lbs. since then but it really doesn't show.
Cheater! Look at your hair/clothes in the before picture compared to after.
-
Cheater! Look at your hair/clothes in the before picture compared to after.
Cort misses the joke because he is not a girl, and does not buy products advertised with exactly these kind of before and after pictures.
Personally I am afraid that jl is going to vanish soon. The Italian gramma in me wants to send her some pasta.
-
*after (http://www.x-omega.com/jamie/7lbsfromgoal.jpg) pictures
P.S. UNGH!
Damn. I wholeheartedly agree. You are lookin' hawt, Ms. Dunston.
I have lost 36 pounds since February 1st of this year, when I began the Hacker's Diet.
I am sort of at a plateau, ever since I got laid off from my job. :~( We had THE BEST workout facility there, and it was free. I am still trying to work out, but my weight loss has really plateau'd since I haven't been able to work out at the same intensity as before.
My goal BMI is 19, which will mean about 120 lbs on my 5'5" frame. I am Sicilian, so I unfortunately have a large frame. But I am excited to buy a bikini this summer.
-
I am sort of at a plateau, ever since I got laid off from my job. :~( We had THE BEST workout facility there, and it was free.
Christ, I thought MY job had perks. All the bacon I can eat can't hold a candle to a f'in WORKOUT facility.
-
Okay, I'll bite (excuse the pun):
What is the "Hacker's Diet"?
Don't hackers drink regular Coke and eat pizza and Chinoise take-away six nights a week?
-
Seriously, dude, I don't think I've ever broken the 9th commandment before. ;)
Doubt it. Have to doubt it. Every man has whether knowingly or not.
I agree with Cort; before/after pics should have similar parameters to facilitate comparison. Nude against a black background would be sufficient, I guess. With the same hairstyle and pose.
Failing that, Jamie, you're cute either way so if you feel better about yourself, that's probably the most important part. Good going.
-
Okay, I'll bite (excuse the pun):
What is the "Hacker's Diet"?
Don't hackers drink regular Coke and eat pizza and Chinoise take-away six nights a week?
Jough, check it out: http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/www/hackdiet.html.
The Hacker's Diet was written by a guy called John Walker, one of the founders of AutoDesk. Since I'm a CADD monkey by trade, I was immediately interested when a friend mentioned it to me.
This is a really basic rundown, and it's from memory, so I'm hoping it's accurate. The reason why he uses the term, "Hacker's Diet", is because you can hack or manipulate any system, if you have an in-depth understanding of the system and how it works.
I like it because it's presented in a manner geared towards engineers and computer nerds, unlike 99.9% of all the retarded diet books out there.
Learning to count calories and do daily weigh ins takes a bit of getting used to, but I have found that it's been SO COMPLETELY WORTHWHILE. Like I said, I've lost 36 pounds thus far, and I now have the tools and motivation to keep them off for life.
Exercise is important to stay healthy, but you don't have to become a runner or an athlete to slim down. I really enjoy Walker's writing style, and that's why I recommend his approach.
Just my $0.02.
-
I have ceased losing, mainly because I haven't been eating well lately (actually, I've been eating too well, if you follow me...). Been holding steady. Down about 25 pounds from the first of the year. I don't expect to stop exercising in the foreseeable future (or ever, as long as I'm able). My workouts have become fully integrated in my routine and I don't feel well at all (physically or emotionally) if I don't get them.
I gotta quit doing buffets for lunch.
-
You'll never stop losing - keep your head up and repeat:
I AM a loser
I AM a loser
I AM a loser.
I mostly started changing my diet and behavior for a health reason; I fell off the wagon after my trip to Atlanta and don't you know I was sick as hell last night, so back on the wagon I go.
dammit.
-
Cheater! Look at your hair/clothes in the before picture compared to after.
Actually, I did this on purpose. (Sort of. I couldn't find any full-body "fat" pictures, probably for a good reason.) I always laugh at the "before" and "after" shots that seem to indicate that dieting also makes your hair lie down, causes makeup to spontaneously appear on your face, and fills your closet with designer clothes. But the difference in how I look and feel really is this dramatic -- I've dropped from a size 14 to a size 8 since January and I've had to buy all new clothes.
Not that I'm complaining ;)
-
Well, I am eating better now because all of my lousy food has gone away DUE TO PUNISHMENT.
I didn't really have anything more to contribute to this thread, but I love the phrase "DUE TO PUNISHMENT" and have been working it into conversations with people who have no idea what it means.
One of my offline friends has actually started using it.
THERE'S A WAVE, AND IT'S CATCHING ON... DUE TO PUNISHMENT.
-
I am sort of at a plateau, ever since I got laid off from my job. :~( We had THE BEST workout facility there, and it was free.
Christ, I thought MY job had perks. All the bacon I can eat can't hold a candle to a f'in WORKOUT facility.
Oh man. The equipment was choice. Everything was brand-spankin' new and top of the line. *sniffle* I tried to work out at the sad little room that my apartment complex has. Talk about frustrating.
I lost my job on the week of June 7th. That same week, my fiance, who returned from Iraq in April, broke things off. Ouch. Talk about a shitty week.
I had a routine set up at my previous job... I would run one mile on the treadmill, and then do three more on the elliptical machine. Running really burns calories fast, but I have to be careful about my knees. Hence the elliptical goodness.
I applied for a job at the 24 hour fitness (http://www.24hourfitness.com) that is near my house. I can work nights and weekends, and hopefully I'll get reduced membership. Heh--then, who knows? Maybe I'll meet the sugar daddy of my dreams, and I can stay home and not have to work and just play on the intarweb all day. ^_^
-
I lost my job on the week of June 7th. That same week, my fiance, who returned from Iraq in April, broke things off. Ouch. Talk about a shitty week.
Holy crap! You should invest in a punching bag. Put your ex's face on it.
-
I lost my job on the week of June 7th. That same week, my fiance, who returned from Iraq in April, broke things off. Ouch. Talk about a shitty week.
Holy crap! You should invest in a punching bag. Put your ex's face on it.
Dude. It gets better. He broke up with me... ON THE PHONE... WHILE I WAS AT WORK.
We were together for four and a half years prior to his yearlong deployment in Iraq. I wrote him letters SIX TIMES A WEEK for the entire year that he was there. WTF?
He was hyper-aggressive ever since he got back. One of his Army buddies, his best friend in his platoon, came to visit that weekend. So I think that had a lot to do with it.
At any rate, it's for the best. I've just gotta live my own life, and if he doesn't want to be a part of it, there's not much I can do *shrugs*
-
Dude, that is low.
On the phone? Your fiancé? I wouldn't even break up with a girl I'd been casually dating on the phone*.
Dang. Did you lose your job because you were exercising four hours a day?
What a sucky week. If Karma teaches us anything, it's that you must now have an equally GOOD week, an ecstatic fuck*ng week, ahead in your future.
Hopefully not too far in the future.
* I did, however, once break up with a girl in the parking lot of a restaurant - but since she was driving I could just LEAVE afterwards and not have to worry about taking her home so that we'd have to, you know, talk about it on the way.
But I also had not previously pledged to spend the rest of my life with her, so I guess that's different.
I guess I really have nothing useful to say so I am just rambling about something sorta relevant, but not really.
/digression
-
Yeah, I investigated the blog you posted below for the full, sordid saga. Yowch.
It probably is for the best, if after all that he wanted to go back to being friends. Choad. Besides, you've burned off so much bad karma in one month that the next few years should be smooth sailing. In the meantime, I wish you well.
ETA: karma! great minds think alike. and so do jough and me.
-
Words cannot describe the general rage I feel at hearing about a guy breaking up with his fiancee via a phone call while she's at work. If you didn't rearrange his face, Linnea, you're a far better person than I am.
May the next week find good karma returning.
-
Yeah. The day that it happened, I was surprised at how well I was handling it. I finished out the day at work. As soon as I left I just fuck*ng had a meltdown. I called all our friends and they were just as shocked as I was. It was really hard for me to give up all the dreams that I had for the future with him. You know, getting married, having children, etc. Shit, I'm getting all choked up even just typing this.
Heh... and of course, I was sitting there saying, "Well, I've got my friends and my cats and I have an AWESOME JOB THAT I LOVE...things will work out."
And then like three days later I got laid off. I honestly thought that I was doing a good job. I was keeping very busy, working 40 hours a week consistently, and getting work from lots of people in my department. I had JUST started working with a lady in another business group on a CERCLA/Superfund project. It honestly hit me out of nowhere.
P.S. I wrote to Ray asking for advice. He put a "Confidential To Somebody nice" at the bottom of last week's advice column. <3
-
Yeah, dang, that is LOW. The worst I had heard of before was when my brother and his girlfriend broke up (mutually, actually) WHILE HAVING SEX. But that is sad. However, as they all said, KARMA.
-
Yeah, dang, that is LOW. The worst I had heard of before was when my brother and his girlfriend broke up (mutually, actually) WHILE HAVING SEX. But that is sad. However, as they all said, KARMA.
So did he come or what?
-
Jesus, man, you just don't ask those kinds of questions.
-
Yeah, dang, that is LOW. The worst I had heard of before was when my brother and his girlfriend broke up (mutually, actually) WHILE HAVING SEX. But that is sad. However, as they all said, KARMA.
How the hell did that even work? Are you sure it was, you know, actively during sex, and not shortly after or some such?
-
Maybe it turned into a grudge fuck, which can be awesome.
-
Dude. Breaking up while fuck*ng? That is totally against the rules. I dunno... when I met my ex-fiance a few days after he broke it off, I made DAMN SURE that we met at a coffee shop. Otherwise things would not have ended so cleanly. Plus, meeting in public guaranteed that I couldn't get all violent on his bitch ass. *sigh*
The more that I think about these past few weeks, the more I appreciate the situation. I would much rather just never get married at all, rather than have to go through a divorce later. And obviously we were not meant for each other. And clearly, there is a better job out there somewhere for me.
I'm also really glad that it happened when it did. If I had gotten fired earlier, he might have been reluctant to break it off. *shrug* It was rough, but I'm glad that I'm getting on with it.
-
And you golf, too? This guy was a moron and a loser. Better off without him.
-
Yup. Certainly never broken up during.
Just before yes, but then when that happens it's never quite a breakup that lasts. Well, no it did, the breakup went on for a good few months...
Seriously though, it sounds like it could end up being quite liberating.
The way things have gone, and are going for me, recently... Well, everything's changing, going tits up, whatever, and there's not a lot I can do but roll with it and try and end up somewhere I'm content with.
Various friendships, and relationships seem to be trying to tear themselves apart at the moment, but I got my guitar and some more mics, and probably looking for a new place to live.
Bah, like Jough I'm rambling...
Yea...
As for on topic, my weight loss is going well. It's not supposed to be, but for the last hours I have been completely unable to sleep, and for the last month I have been unable to eat properly.
So I ought to be incorporeal before you know it.
-
Yeah.. I know it's still unpleasant, but this guy sounds like someone who wouldn't exactly be conducive to a happy marriage anyway. It's probably best things ended then.
Best wishes for a new job and a new guy; you deserve both.
-
Jesus, Linnea, that's brutal. You sound like you're dealing with it all very well, though, and that's pretty impressive. Same goes for Slink, of course. Glad I'm still in the halcyon adolescent bliss of entirely meaningless relationships. (Not to say that that magisterium is entirely limited to those of my age, but you get the idea)
-
Yeah, I hear y'all. No, it was most definitely during. Like, they had broken up a week before, but had decided to "give it another try." So they went to a movie, went to dinner, had a real awkward time, came back to my brothers place and commenced to make it. About halfway through, my brother is like, "This isn't working." And the girl was like, "Yeah." And he pulled out and she got dressed and left.
Right now things seem to be fucked up all over right now, but I'm sure we'll all be in better places by, say, New Years?
Everything seems to be up in the air right now, everything seems to be up in the air right now, someday soon, it'll all settle down, but everything seems to be up in the air right now.
-
And you golf, too? This guy was a moron and a loser. Better off without him.
Yep. My pa was a golf course architect at one point during his career. I used to caddy for him when I was a kid. I'm certainly no damn good at the particular game of golf, but I enjoy going to the driving range, and I'd like to have my own set of clubs.
-
Right now things seem to be fucked up all over right now, but I'm sure we'll all be in better places by, say, New Years?
Aw jeez. Not that long, please?
Linnea, my miseries at the moment, which I thought were pretty bad, pale in comparison to yours, but I have one piece of advice: Unemployment insurance. I never got it before, and it's pretty cool. Go get yourself some if you're eligible. Not only do you get money for (almost) nothing, but I'm told it's just like regular insurance - your old company's payments into the system go up when they have more ex-employees making claims. So you can feel a nice little bit of revenge with each check. It's a small thing but at this kind of time in your life you have to get what you can from the small things.
-
Referenced "Ambiguity Song"
R.A.D.D., wherein the extra D is on account of that is just really a wicked-cool song.
-
So yeah. To drag this thread, kicking and screaming, back on-topic.
Piccies! Yay weight loss!
I don't have any digital photos of me at my heaviest, which was 195 (DAMN).
Here is a picture of me gettin' pretty close, though. I would estimate that at the time of this photograph I was 180 pounds, size 16. The fuck*ng loser at my side is my ex-fiance, JT. That photo was taken in October 2002.
(http://home.comcast.net/~linnea78/images/Boonma_Oct_2002.jpg)
And here is a photograph that I took today. I got a really cute skirt and top (on sale, for cheap). Since Ms. Dunston posted such a fabulous photo of her in a red skirt, I thought I'd have to go that route. In this photograph I am 155 pounds and a size 12. Sorry for the blurriness and general shittitude of the photo. I was trying to take pictures of myself, and I had to turn off the flash.
(http://Somebody nice.typepad.com/photos/redskirt/redskirt_014.jpg)
-
For the record:
You're cute in both shots.
JT sort of looks like a knob, though that may just me speaking from what I know of him now.
-
JT sort of looks like a knob, though that may just me speaking from what I know of him now.
Whoa, yeah. Knob City. Linnea, I don't want you to take this as an indirect stab at your Special Thoughts and Ideas regarding the opposite sex, but holy something we are like boxcar hobos stowed away on the express train to Squaresville here. Did this dude own any coffee table books that were just pages and pages of photographs of knives or something?
Also the new haircut makes all the difference, in my completely uninformed and unsolicited opinion.
UNINFORMED! UNSOLICITED! THESE ARE OPINIONS TOO HOT TO SHOW YOU IN THIS COMMERCIAL SO ORDER NOW
-
It is funny how blind one is willing to become in a relationship.
Yep, Zart, you are correct on all counts. Total fuck*ng dolt. He failed out his first year of college, and hasn't gone back. He probably never will. He works as a bank teller. He spent a year in Iraq with the US Army. It is so ironic that you made the coffee table book comment, because he really does have shelves crammed full of books about knives n' guns and whatnot. Magazine subscriptions to gun mags and knife mags and Soldier of Fortune. He's not a terribly big guy. About five-ten, maybe 150 pounds. He studied Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Jeet Kun Do, and was constantly training and going to competitions and whatnot.
He and I are both currently 25 years old (I think we were 23 in that first photo). He is a martial arts and weapons fanatic. He joined the Army so that they would let him play with fully automatic weaponry. He's one of the guys in his squadron that carries a 50-cal machine gun.
Please note that I am glad to be out of that relationship with him. His yearlong deployment really gave each of us the space necessary to get on with our respective lives.
And yes, thank you for your kind comments regarding my haircut. I rather like it. I need to get it cut again. I took this photo last week, when it was cold enough outside here in Colorado to be wearing a long-sleeved t-shirt. Yay sparkly!
(http://home.comcast.net/~linnea78/images/cam.jpg)
-
Ha, I definitely didn't want to be the first guy on top of the manpile on your ex, so I decided to wait it out. Now, I think the time is right for me to tell you that the moment that picture loaded, I punched my computer screen. Luckily, my arms are weak and my Powerbook is still under warranty. Onwards and upwards, right?
-
I think "knob" is the perfect word. Thank you, V, for articulating what was at the edge of my consciousness.
-
Why is it that the assholes always get the hot chicks?
-
Why is it that the assholes always get the hot chicks?
Well, clearly this particular asshole did not, in fact, actually end up with the hot chick. Because of being an asshole.
(I want to make a DUE TO PUNISHMENT joke here, but it seems tasteless.)
-
I really like your glasses, too.
I was at your website looking at pics (this was months ago, before all this) and I wondered just from that stuff what you and he might have in common. Now I know the answer, and even more based on your last few posts.
I'm not sure what brought you together but it sounds like you are better now that you are are apart.
And, damn, V, knob pretty much hits it on the head.
-
Well, clearly this particular asshole did not, in fact, actually end up with the hot chick.
It's not just he ending up with the girl though. I mean, that's how many years together again?
I have never ended up with a girl (well, what with me being basically single again now) and... well I guess it means I'm an asshole now... Damn.
But yea, knob's good.
-
for a very long time, i've had problems with "what to do with" my hands and arms when standing.
my gf recently decided to start to mock the living shit out of me whenever i put my hand on my hip, because i look gay. fair enough.
so, i started trying to figure out what to do with my hands/arms.
from the photo, apparently i WANT TO STOP PUTTING MY HAND IN MY POCKET.
did he even like cats? he looked like he "liked" dogs, wherein "liked" meant "dogs go outside in the kennel".
-
did he even like cats? he looked like he "liked" dogs, wherein "liked" meant "dogs go outside in the kennel".
Oh my. That is... A gifted deduction! Even if it is wrong, it just seems so right to me now you've said it!
And I know what you mean about the hands things too, I must stop putting them on my hips when I'm standing around. Even if, like last night, I am only standing because of the excruciating pain of any other position...
-
And I know what you mean about the hands things too, I must stop putting them on my hips when I'm standing around. Even if, like last night, I am only standing because of the excruciating pain of any other position...
pain? that doesn't sound good.
however, i just have no freaking clue what i'm supposed to do with my hands. my arms are like "ok, we'll just hang here." and are behaving, but my hands are all "wtf dude? hello? hello? are you _even_ listening?"
it makes it hard to think,
sometimes.
-
my arms are like "ok, we'll just hang here." and are behaving, but my hands are all "wtf dude?
That's why I end up crossnig my arms a hell of a lot. Deals with the arms, and hides the hands!
-
You guys are both highly self-conscious and self-critical. You are you, and you'll never get away from you, so make peace.
-
You guys are both highly self-conscious and self-critical. You are you, and you'll never get away from you, so make peace.
Wow, that's really deep!
Good advice, as well.
-
That's why I end up crossnig my arms a hell of a lot. Deals with the arms, and hides the hands!
me too. but i've been told that crossing my arms makes me seem "closed minded and unreceptive", but i just tell them i'm not listening...
You guys are both highly self-conscious and self-critical. You are you, and you'll never get away from you, so make peace.
um, ya, i know, i'm working on it, i really feel bad about it though. ;)
-
You guys are both highly self-conscious and self-critical. You are you, and you'll never get away from you, so make peace.
This is my general life strategy. I'm fat, I don't photograph well, and I never quite know where to put my hands -- but, basically, I deal, and life goes on.
Good advice.
-
but i've been told that crossing my arms makes me seem "closed minded and unreceptive"
I've been told I'm 'closed minded and unreceptive'. Every time someone does it makes me cross my arms at them.
You guys are both highly self-conscious and self-critical. You are you, and you'll never get away from you, so make peace.
Can I quote you in my suicide note?
-
That's a hell of a way to make peace. Maybe that old saying about any publicity is good publicity is actually shite after all...
But, yes, OK, but only if you mention me also in your will.