The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: Arachno-capitalist on May 29, 2013, 05:07:37 pm
-
The Magyar part of my heritage has always fascinated me. My personal history is really deep and wide in the soviet and post-soviet end, but everything before then get really blurry really fast (for me!). I have tried to find some explanation for why the language is so different from anything surrounding it and how it became a separate people to begin with. The similarities between vietnamese language and magyar language is too weird to be coincidence. My father and all of his end had asian xteristics and all had the stereotypical math and engineering bends. The Hun-Garian/Hun-Empire thing was mostly thrown aside from what I can find.
Any help?
::looks at inev::
-
I always assumed it was because the Mongol hordes had left a strong genetic legacy in Eastern Europe.
-
The similarities between vietnamese language and magyar language is too weird to be coincidence.
I wouldn't be too sure of this.
-
I wouldn't be too sure of this.
I've heard anecdotal evidence. What I heard was convincing at the time, but I haven't heard anything either way since then.
I always assumed it was because the Mongol hordes had left a strong genetic legacy in Eastern Europe.
Right. This is my current understanding: There exists a small community of eastern europeans hungover from the asian invasian.
-
I've heard anecdotal evidence.
* the sound of generations of historical linguists weeping*
If you pick any two languages and look hard enough you can find a couple handfuls of words with similar meanings that sound similar and that sort of thing. But that is not the same as finding evidence that two languages are related, which requires much more systematic correspondences.
-
* the sound of generations of historical linguists weeping*
If you pick any two languages and look hard enough you can find a couple handfuls of words with similar meanings that sound similar and that sort of thing. But that is not the same as finding evidence that two languages are related, which requires much more systematic correspondences.
I don't disagree with you. Yet I'm still looking for a better explanation.