The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
The Wide World of Webcomics => Not Daisy Owl => Topic started by: AugustWest on June 13, 2013, 05:11:47 pm
-
Saw this (http://sorrycomics.blogspot.com/2013/06/cars-are-bugs.html) on Reddit. Disturbing.
-
Just try not to think at all...
-
Very provocative.
-
I always thought of cars as red blood cells and we are the oxygen that bonds to them.
The organism we're in the vascular system of is some kind of surface parasitic infection on the Earth, I guess. The world-wide wart.
-
It worries me that so many people's view of us as a species is overwhelmingly negative.
-
It worries me that so many people's view of us as a species is overwhelmingly negative.
Worries you how? As a species we've done some pretty amazing things.
My beef with this strip is when he starts to talk about how we will use the last drop of fossil fuels. That event will never happen. We will never use the 'last drop' of fossil fuels. We innovate ourselves out of crisis.
-
lol
-
Oh, there are lots of fossil fuels left... trapped in shales and tar sands that are insanely expensive to extract and ruin whole states worth of land to take out.
So yeah, I mean, there's lots more fossil fuels. But as it gets harder to extract, it will only serve to pollute and concentrate wealth exponentially more as we go.
It would be better if we COULD run out.
-
By which I meant "then we'd have to get serious about solar and hydro and wind power and not be a bunch of goddamned savages who will always invade and/or strip mine away our problems."
-
I'm with ACap on this one. And yeah, hydro is a non starter because we'll run out of water before we run out of oil.
-
There is a difference between water and affordable, safe drinking water, FYI. But yeah, we are going to run out of affordable, safe drinking water long before oil. Unsure how it effects hydro tho.
-
There is a difference between water and affordable, safe drinking water, FYI. But yeah, we are going to run out of affordable, safe drinking water long before oil. Unsure how it effects hydro tho.
The thing about water is that it literally falls from the sky.
So yeah, I mean, there's lots more fossil fuels. But as it gets harder to extract, it will only serve to pollute and concentrate wealth exponentially more as we go.
I'm unopposed to wealth flowing to the smartest guys in the room.
-
Maybe in your neck of the woods. The Colorado river is a nice example of how complicated managing a natural resource is. And there is still none left to actually flow into the Sea of Cortez. Its a weird thing to watch the churning of the enormous quantities of water at the foot of Hoover Dam and realize that literally NONE of it will make it all the way to sea.
-
Maybe in your neck of the woods. The Colorado river is a nice example of how complicated managing a natural resource is. And there is still none left to actually flow into the Sea of Cortez. Its a weird thing to watch the churning of the enormous quantities of water at the foot of Hoover Dam and realize that literally NONE of it will make it all the way to sea.
Here is where we agree.
-
I'm unopposed to wealth flowing to the smartest guys in the room.
This is because you are actually a bad person.
-
why the dang aint there turbines in the ocean yanking power out the currents that wont never go away til the moon does i mean we got phone cables and oil drills out there but we cant make electrics from gravity by way of the ocean i mean come the shit on
-
why the dang aint there turbines in the ocean yanking power out the currents that wont never go away til the moon does i mean we got phone cables and oil drills out there but we cant make electrics from gravity by way of the ocean i mean come the shit on
The same reason we sucked up the easy to get to oil first.
-
Worries you how? As a species we've done some pretty amazing things.
For the reason you say. I think we're overall pretty awesome but the consensus view in some groups is that everything humanity does is awful and it makes me sad that people think of their species that way.
-
why the dang aint there turbines in the ocean yanking power out the currents that wont never go away til the moon does i mean we got phone cables and oil drills out there but we cant make electrics from gravity by way of the ocean i mean come the shit on
At first glance this sounds awesome but the more I think about it, the more it seems like this would majorly fuck up ocean ecosystems.
-
I think we'll survive. Maybe not so many of us or in the style to which we have become accustomed, but I think the species is safe for a long while. We're nothing if not adaptable.
-
Stepping back from the nuclear brink was our species' equivalent of and 18yr old selling their Ninja 1200 superbike.
-
Stepping back from the nuclear brink was our species' equivalent of and 18yr old selling their Ninja 1200 superbike.
Are we back from the nuclear brink? I'm not sure we are. We never sold the Ninja, we just parked it in the garage and now we are letting our crazy nephew ride it.
-
At first glance this sounds awesome but the more I think about it, the more it seems like this would majorly fuck up ocean ecosystems.
theres gotta be a way
-
theres gotta be a way
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_thermal_energy_conversion ? I always had a thing for geothermal energy, but that appears to be severely limited by possible locations.
-
nah dude not geothermal, imagine wind energy but instead of wind it's ocean currents
it's a trillion dollar idea that would only require a billion dollar investment lol
-
Nothing against cars per se, but I think there's too much of them. And when I think of the number of vehicles leaving factories right as I type this... it can't be good.
Also I really don't think anyone will ever use nukes. It would look *terrible* on Facebook and Twitter.