The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: littlefallsmets on June 15, 2013, 07:04:09 pm

Title: yeah, I am a weirdo.
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 15, 2013, 07:04:09 pm
I stopped showing up for a while out of shame that I never got around to reading wombles' book to help her out and my totally sketching-out on fantasy baseball.

That seems like a completely crazy set of reasons to avoid this place but, uh, I have The Anxiety.

Hopefully, I will start hanging around here again more now that I have broken the ice on my anxiety about it.

I hope you are all doing awesome.
Title: Re: yeah, I am a weirdo.
Post by: wombat on June 15, 2013, 07:23:27 pm
Thank goodness for the fantasy baseball, at least it's not all my fault.
Title: Re: yeah, I am a weirdo.
Post by: pmcd9 on June 16, 2013, 09:34:49 am
I guess I didn't miss you too much because I see you on Facebook frequently.

I was thinking about you today actually. I was wondering whatever became of that book you were writing? IIRC you got about 3/4 of the way into it then just gave up.
Title: Re: yeah, I am a weirdo.
Post by: Doc on June 16, 2013, 11:12:13 am
Thank goodness for the fantasy baseball, at least it's not all my fault.

 Except in as much as every facet of our lives is your fault.

Good to see you back Mets, what's new?
Title: Re: yeah, I am a weirdo.
Post by: wombat on June 16, 2013, 03:24:09 pm
I was thinking about you today actually. I was wondering whatever became of that book you were writing? IIRC you got about 3/4 of the way into it then just gave up.

aargh, not funny!
Title: Re: yeah, I am a weirdo.
Post by: wombat on June 16, 2013, 03:24:35 pm
Except in as much as every facet of our lives is your fault.


Well there is that.
Title: Re: yeah, I am a weirdo.
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 16, 2013, 06:18:12 pm
Doc, I'm doing... ah... it's a mixed bag.

Trying to get even a minimal day job in waythefucknowhere northern New York State is shitty, especially when you've got a bunch of inapplicable employment history and also a gap in said employment history.

Otherwise, pretty good. Got some more poetry published in a local collection, got a new lady I'm seeing in Albany, working on getting a collection of my comedy and poetry stuff published by a different local publisher though that's a slow ass process. I'm able to help my folks a lot around here with a lot of stuff, that helps me feel at least a little bit useful.

I just got this footage of one of my poetry pieces in the winter, pretty proud of that. http://vimeo.com/67914278 (http://vimeo.com/67914278)

As for finishing the book, though, I am crippled by the idea that it is terrible and shameful and I have no idea how to get past the idea that it is shit and a waste of time to try.
Title: Re: yeah, I am a weirdo.
Post by: wombat on June 16, 2013, 06:34:22 pm
So write a different book.
Title: Re: yeah, I am a weirdo.
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 16, 2013, 07:39:26 pm
Pretty soon, I will just think that is terrible too, because I made it.

It is awful having delusions of grandeur and low self esteem at the same time and it makes me an awful person, I dunno.

I could write the book about the Sasquatch living undercover in West Hollywood, posing as a guy who dresses as the Sasquatch to get tourists to pay for pictures with him in front of the Chinese Theatre, because he was the last of his kind for too long and got lonely and... it's a decent idea but the problem is that I will undermine it because I'll see too much of myself in it and teach myself how to hate it.

Blah.
Title: Re: yeah, I am a weirdo.
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 17, 2013, 12:10:43 am
Pretty soon, I will just think that is terrible too, because I made it.

It is awful having delusions of grandeur and low self esteem at the same time and it makes me an awful person, I dunno.

I could write the book about the Sasquatch living undercover in West Hollywood, posing as a guy who dresses as the Sasquatch to get tourists to pay for pictures with him in front of the Chinese Theatre, because he was the last of his kind for too long and got lonely and... it's a decent idea but the problem is that I will undermine it because I'll see too much of myself in it and teach myself how to hate it.

Blah.

Can I write that book?
Title: Re: yeah, I am a weirdo.
Post by: pmcd9 on June 17, 2013, 12:12:44 am
Write shorter stuff and get it on the submission train before your brain has a chance to turn on it.

Glad I read to the end of the thread because I was gonna suggest the same thing.
Title: Re: yeah, I am a weirdo.
Post by: wombat on June 17, 2013, 12:13:13 am
Ash has good advice, but really, I don't know why you're so hung up on the fact that your book is terrible. Lots of terrible books get published. Why shouldn't you get to write one of them?
Title: Re: yeah, I am a weirdo.
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 17, 2013, 12:40:59 am
I would write that book the least terribly of anyone in the world, that's the problem, Keith.
Title: Re: yeah, I am a weirdo.
Post by: Doc on June 17, 2013, 01:23:14 pm
Well I mean it makes sense, I mean your stand up and poetry pieces have been pretty much universally reviled, right? Hardly worth trying another creative endeavour after your all-engulfing failure.
Title: Re: yeah, I am a weirdo.
Post by: dejavroom on June 18, 2013, 07:00:07 pm
Dude, your voice carries nicely. Seems like you could belt out a few ditties. Ever been in a band or wanted to?
Title: Re: yeah, I am a weirdo.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 19, 2013, 04:38:17 am
I stopped showing up for a while out of shame that I never got around to reading wombles' book to help her out and my totally sketching-out on fantasy baseball.

That seems like a completely crazy set of reasons to avoid this place but, uh, I have The Anxiety.

Hopefully, I will start hanging around here again more now that I have broken the ice on my anxiety about it.

I hope you are all doing awesome.

Wait. You were gone?