The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: pmcd9 on July 16, 2013, 02:48:11 am
-
I'm writing/editing a lot of biographical and product information for a website that I am building. I'm taking what she has written and rewriting it into something hopefully a little more well written. She's a painter, not a writer.
So as I'm rewriting I'm converting it all to 3rd. person, except I forgot and wrote most of it in 1st person. What I want to ask is, and I guess I'm probably trying to justify, but in today's world, is it okay to write this stuff in the 1st person? If it were a corporation it would be clear that it needs to be 3rd. person, but this is an individual's website. Have the rules changed? Or do I just need to quit bitching and go switch it all to 3rd. person?
-
On a personal website it could go either way depending on what kind of impression you want to make.
-
Does she have an opinion on the matter?
-
Does she have an opinion on the matter?
I haven't asked her and I don't want to complicate matters by doing so.
On a personal website it could go either way depending on what kind of impression you want to make.
But it should be consistent throughout? I shouldn't write the biography in 3rd. person and the celebrity meeting stories in 1st?
-
Is the bio a separate page? Then I think it would be OK.
-
CV and credentials in third. Bio and "artist's statement" in first. Blog stuff in first.
-
Is the bio a separate page? Then I think it would be OK.
Yes, all different pages. I know she won't notice, but I'm worried how it will be perceived by the general public.
CV and credentials in third. Bio and "artist's statement" in first. Blog stuff in first.
What is CV?
-
Yes, all different pages. I know she won't notice, but I'm worried how it will be perceived by the general public.
I think it's fine for the general public. A bio written in third person is totally normal and unremarkable.
-
What I'm worried they'll notice is the inconsistency of part of the website being 3rd. person and part 1st. I suppose I'm stepping into JL's territory here by over thinking this.
-
You're overthinking it.
There are plenty of circumstances where a bio written in third person is associated with other text in first person. Like, say, the jacket flap of nearly any book written in first person. I'm sure you can find websites where the same is true.