The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: pmcd9 on July 31, 2013, 11:14:41 am
-
Is this something that any of you fine people ever do? I never have and I like the steaks I cook for myself, but I am curious if I am missing out on some extra goodness that marination can provide.
-
Only steaks I ever marinated were flank steaks. This would probably work for skirt steak too, but we didn't get those. I would generally do something like:
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup red wine
1Tbsp honey
1/4 tsp garlic powder
I would poke some fork holes in the flank steak, mix up the marinade and either pour it over the steak in a flat pan, or put the whole kibosh in a big ziploc and let it sit for a while. Then under the broiler or onto the grill.
We haven't had a flank steak in a long time and it sounds pretty darn good. I'll have to mention it to the shopper.
-
I tend to put dry spice rubs on steaks rather than marinades, but I have done it. I have a good ale marinade recipe at home I'll try to post later.
-
shit, ash stole my recipe (but i add some olive oil and garlic because flavor)
good cuts of meat at my house get a bit of salt & pepper. no meat is worse off for having a bit of salt & pepper.
i make a dry poultry rub for grilling chicken, turkey, duck, etc. i called it a poultry rub, didn't i? basically i combine salt, pepper, sage, oregano, thyme, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, ground chile (usually ancho), turmeric, and ground mustard, until i can't smell any single spice that overpowers another. the herbs in there are dried, of course. 24 hours in that rub in the fridge gives it good hold.
when i grill turkey, i butcher it first then rub it, for maximum spice exposure and to control the cook times. turkey breasts take a long time to cook; legs not so much time.
-
MAYOR! I know you've been messing with rubs for a while now and I want your suggestions...for a whole chicken and for a pork loin roast what would you suggest a dude start with that he could get by walking into a standard ass grocery store? I am at the curious to try point on this 'rubbing' thing.
My favorite is Rudy's Rub (http://www.rudysbbq.com/store/c-3-rubs.aspx) from a well-known Texaas barbecue chain. I use it on ribs and beer can chicken. Probably not available in your standard ass grocery store, but you can order it from them online.
Something that is in every standard ass grocery store that I really like is McCormick's Montreal steak seasoning. Yes I use it on steak, also pork chops, and fried potatoes (with green onions and cilantro, a concoction that's become known as "potatoes Dior" in my house).
If you're willing to build your own:
Adam Perry Lang's Four Seasons Blend (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Four-Seasons-Blend-51103210) is hell of basic, but perhaps as a result hell of good.
I like this chimichurri rub (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Dry-Chimichurri-Rub-240753) on all manner of grilled meats.
And the coffee-based rub on these here steaks (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Dry-Chimichurri-Rub-240753) is awesome.
-
Thank you all very much. In this particular case I have a good piece of meat (what she said) so I am going to stick to a tried and true recipe. But for the future I will revisit this thread (if I can find it). (http://www.theawl.com/2009/11/how-to-cook-a-fuck*ng-steak)
-
Discovered a few days ago that 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne in 6 tablespoons of rub is too much fire for my family to enjoy a steak. That's 3.5% by volume people. Kids wouldn't touch it, and my wife powered through because she was really hungry. Bland and well-done is apparently the ticket to "good steak" in my household.
-
I'm not a beef steak guy. I like game steak (elk, venison, lion, zebra, bear, and so on), but not steak steak. Recently my girlfriend started making balsamic marinated steak with seasoned goat cheese that I could eat for days. http://www.yummly.com/recipes/steak-with-goat-cheese-and-balsamic
-
If she's willing to cook it up like that marry that one and plant a baby on her.
What? That seems like the easiest thing.