The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: pmcd9 on August 01, 2013, 05:17:18 am

Title: Bruchetta vs. Brioche
Post by: pmcd9 on August 01, 2013, 05:17:18 am
Okay, I was at a party last weekend and they were serving various meats, pork, beef, lamb, venison, wrapped in bacon and cooked on the grill. They were delicious. Someone called it bruschetta. I said to a friend who was standing nearby "They're pronouncing it wrong, it's pronounced Brioche. My friend said that "those are two words that exist, but I don't know for sure what either of them means." I resolved that I would do some research to get to the bottom of this.

I now know that it is neither bruschetta or brioche. I knew right away that it wasn't bruschetta although I couldn't remember exactly what bruschetta was, I knew it wasn't bacon wrapped grilled meat. But I thought it was brioche because that's what I was told. I had never heard the term brioche until Feb. 09, 2012 when I had dinner at some friends house. They served bacon wrapped shrimp (http://www.flickr.com/photos/20698962@N00/6853722857/) and called it brioche. I couldn't even bring myself to mention the name when I posted the picture because I thought it was suddenly the new douchy name for shish kabob. Kinda like how all of the sudden grilled cheese turned into panini. But I never forgot the word because it was along about this time when our Wombat started mentioning the fact that she feeds brioche to her dogs. I thought you were feeding your dog bacon wrapped grilled meat.

So anyway ... what the hell was I eating?
Title: Re: Bruchetta vs. Brioche
Post by: Choop on August 01, 2013, 06:16:27 am
Brochette (http://www.foodterms.com/encyclopedia/brochette/index.html) ?

that's the only thing even close that i could find under B in that encyclopedia (which truth be told leaves a lot to be desired)
Title: Re: Bruchetta vs. Brioche
Post by: pmcd9 on August 01, 2013, 06:29:44 am
That must be it.
Title: Re: Bruchetta vs. Brioche
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 01, 2013, 12:53:03 pm
Yeah, what Choop said. Brioche is a kind of bread/roll with egg in it, like challah. And bruschetta is toasted bread rounds with a topping, often tomato and basil.
Title: Re: Bruchetta vs. Brioche
Post by: wombat on August 01, 2013, 01:44:21 pm
But I never forgot the word because it was along about this time when our Wombat started mentioning the fact that she feeds brioche to her dogs. I thought you were feeding your dog bacon wrapped grilled meat.

Don't they wish.
Title: Re: Bruchetta vs. Brioche
Post by: pmcd9 on August 01, 2013, 09:22:36 pm
I'm beginning to think that I am losing my mind and that I am misremembering this whole thing.