The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: pmcd9 on August 27, 2013, 01:16:25 am

Title: Miley Cyrus on the VMA's
Post by: pmcd9 on August 27, 2013, 01:16:25 am
She's been getting pretty lambasted on Facebook today, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I fuck*ng loved every minute of it. She seemed like she was having such a good time. It made me giddy.

If you haven't seen it (http://youtu.be/CgSQSQ6D16o)
Title: Re: Miley Cyrus on the VMA's
Post by: jay-ell on August 27, 2013, 01:41:46 am
Dafuq did I just watch?
Title: Re: Miley Cyrus on the VMA's
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 27, 2013, 02:15:19 am
The world's fulla prudes. That's nothing close to the Monty Python and the Holy Grail themed burlesque show I just went to.
Title: Re: Miley Cyrus on the VMA's
Post by: AugustWest on August 27, 2013, 03:57:56 am
(http://cdn.chud.com/b/b0/175x144px-LL-b002f290_who-gives-a-shit-harrison-ford.gif)
Title: Re: Miley Cyrus on the VMA's
Post by: Choop on August 27, 2013, 04:56:55 am
good lord i wish i could just once get my wife to remember that the VMAs are worth skipping. every damn year she gets all hyped up and every damn year she gets disappointed.

"what?!" she shouts indignantly, "that isn't the song of the summer, i've never even HEARD that song!" "yes, neither have i, but you and i are not the ones burning through their family share plan's unlimited texting to vote for one direction." "fuckin' teenage girls" "hey, phrasing"
Title: Re: Miley Cyrus on the VMA's
Post by: wombat on August 27, 2013, 12:47:15 pm
I hate to be that annoying person who can't shut up about how they don't care about all that low popular culture but between rants about some actor I would not recognize on the street being cast to play in a movie I don't want to see, and some performer who holds absolute zero interest for me doing something apparently shocking on a TV program I would not watch in a million years.... well, I just hope that this is the late summer doldrums of social media and things are going to pick up again shortly. It's just really boring and stupid and I'm tired of even having to scroll past to skip it.
Title: Re: Miley Cyrus on the VMA's
Post by: CortJstr on August 27, 2013, 01:51:36 pm
My twitter feed was full of comments on the VMAs but I don't know how anybody knew they existed. Were it not for the Colbert/Daft Punk thing I wouldn't have had a clue the show was a thing, let alone what day or time. I'm vaguely aware they've done VMAs in the past but if you told me this was the first one after a five year hiatus or that this was only the 3rd one ever I'd believe you either way.
Title: Re: Miley Cyrus on the VMA's
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 27, 2013, 02:00:39 pm
I pretty well give a shit about the Miley Cyrus thing. I suppose there are conversations to be had there about double standards regarding the behavior of male vs. female pop stars, and the co-opting of black popular culture by white stars. But on the whole, meh, not a thing I care to watch.
Title: Re: Miley Cyrus on the VMA's
Post by: wombat on August 27, 2013, 02:15:25 pm
Oh lord and even more spare me the people who think that making a pretentious political argument makes talking about such things more legitimate.
Title: Re: Miley Cyrus on the VMA's
Post by: pmcd9 on August 27, 2013, 02:45:09 pm
I must be the only person in American that enjoyed the show.
Title: Re: Miley Cyrus on the VMA's
Post by: theinevitable on August 27, 2013, 03:02:11 pm
All of my acquaintances who post about silly bands and soccer and graphic design all day every day have been talking about how frivolous it is to care about batman/Miley/whatever when there are REAL PROBLEMS and I want to beat them all up.

There are definitely icky gender/race things going on here. Bleh.
Title: Re: Miley Cyrus on the VMA's
Post by: pmcd9 on August 27, 2013, 03:17:40 pm
I think for most they just can't get over the fact that Hannah Montana is now a full grown woman.
Title: Re: Miley Cyrus on the VMA's
Post by: AugustWest on August 27, 2013, 03:26:42 pm
Miley Cyrus is a manufactured celebrity, cynically created by a corporate behemoth to capture the fleeting glances of her generation of children.  She and her amoral media masters intend to squeeze every last dime possible out of her notoriety, and they will do so by whatever means necessary, tasteful or otherwise.  In short:

Attention whores gonna attention whore.
Title: Re: Miley Cyrus on the VMA's
Post by: Choop on August 27, 2013, 03:34:36 pm
i saw the performance and hated it.

she's full-grown physically, but behaves like a 14 year old who's just discovered self-pleasure. there's nothing sexy about the juvenile way she wags her ass side-to-side, and sticks out her tongue, and smiles with all those teeth, and dances with teddy bears, all at the same time. if justin bieber or willow smith performed the same song and dance, i'd be just as aghast. the weird flabby thing people are making fun of was just a bad costume choice, but her demeanor is what challenges me.

the foam finger she was playing with came from the blurred lines video. in that video, the women are sexy: nobody's trying to look like a winking cartoon teddy bear face or using the foam finger as a fake dick thrusting between her legs. everything about her performance just reminded me of a child who thinks she's acting sexy, rather than showing me a woman who is.

seriously, that hair? if she was going for teddy bear ears on top of her head, she nailed it. how the hell is that anything but juvenile?

paul, what is it you liked about the performance? what am i missing here?
Title: Re: Miley Cyrus on the VMA's
Post by: wombat on August 27, 2013, 03:55:23 pm
Why Twerking is Over (http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268768/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=LjIwj6hQ)
Title: Re: Miley Cyrus on the VMA's
Post by: pmcd9 on August 27, 2013, 04:12:56 pm
paul, what is it you liked about the performance? what am i missing here?

I think I liked a lot of the things that you hated. I thought it was silly and weird and goofy and most of all Miley seemed to be having a lot of fun. And I don't think her act was out of character for a woman her age. I know women her age, beautiful full grown ladies that still have a lot of girlishness in their manner. You compared her to the girls in the Blurred Lines video. Sure, those women are sexy, but vapid. Miley showed more personality than all those women combined.

I also don't dislike the music like most of you do.
Title: Re: Miley Cyrus on the VMA's
Post by: jaydub on August 27, 2013, 04:55:45 pm
I'm a little disturbed by the notion of Youtube videos of pets twerking.  Not so much the behavior - I would expect mammals of reproductive age to have something approximating the move - but the idea that the videos have thousands of views.
Why Twerking is Over (http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268768/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=LjIwj6hQ)
Title: Re: Miley Cyrus on the VMA's
Post by: theinevitable on August 28, 2013, 12:37:26 am
My twitter acquaintance has a thing about this (http://tressiemc.com/2013/08/27/when-your-brown-body-is-a-white-wonderland/) that Wombat shouldn't even think about reading.

A thing related to that dance move which has a name I hate is Lordosis Behavior. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lordosis_behavior) I was glad to learn this and maybe understand why seeing women in certain poses makes me feel like my brain is turning halfway off. I am certain I have linked to this before, because I have been fascinated for years.
Title: Re: Miley Cyrus on the VMA's
Post by: miles on August 28, 2013, 01:09:46 am
I'm a little disturbed by the notion of Youtube videos of pets twerking.  Not so much the behavior - I would expect mammals of reproductive age to have something approximating the move - but the idea that the videos have thousands of views.

Of all the things on youtube that get tons of views, this is what disturbs you?
Title: Re: Miley Cyrus on the VMA's
Post by: pmcd9 on August 28, 2013, 02:47:06 am
My twitter acquaintance has a thing about this (http://tressiemc.com/2013/08/27/when-your-brown-body-is-a-white-wonderland/) that Wombat shouldn't even think about reading.

I did notice that the women on stage with her were bigger than the super trim type that you normally see dancing alongside a pop singer. But then again, the black rapper also came out surrounded a phalanx of big black women and the other rapper made mention of big fat asses in the lyrics. One other thing of note, those "Fat non-normative black female bodies" on that stage with Miley were really good looking. And it could also be said that Miley suffers from noassitall and needed those fat black rumps to compensate for her flat backside. Or, I don't know, maybe she just wants to subjugate black women.



Title: Re: Miley Cyrus on the VMA's
Post by: miles on August 31, 2013, 04:39:11 pm
Just watched this for the first time. Three thoughts:

1. Miley, show us on the teddy bear where Billy Ray touched you as a child.
2. Blurred Lines is kind of growing on me.
3. Dwayne Wayne's back!

(http://sunglassesbungalow.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Dwayne-Wayne.jpg)