The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: nephilim8 on October 29, 2013, 03:48:07 pm

Title: What's been going on lately
Post by: nephilim8 on October 29, 2013, 03:48:07 pm
courtesy of The Verge. (http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/28/5037820/someone-needs-to-pick-up-the-achewood-tv-show)

it seems like a wasted effort to be pitching this sort of show to a general TV audience, when it's clearly above them. seems like Onstad would have better luck pitching it to Netflix or Hulu. Or he could even self-publish.

also, I posit the idea of a childhood drum is far older than Achewood.
Title: Re: What's been going on lately
Post by: jaydub on October 29, 2013, 06:24:57 pm
While I agree that the characters developed their distinctive voices fairly early in the series, I disagree that it has been since the beginning. Teodor has remained pretty constant but that's because he is Onstad in a stuffed bear suit. 
Title: Re: What's been going on lately
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 29, 2013, 10:01:59 pm
I'm not shocked at all that the animated project hasn't been picked up by a network. He doesn't appear to even know what format he is shooting for, and that "sizzle reel" isn't confidence inspiring as a fully baked concept. I'm glad he is still pursuing it, though.
I didn't know it takes him a full day's work to produce a strip. I guess I (ignorantly) imagined the drawings were somehow easily manipulated in a graphics program? And the rest of it was just writing a few lines of script for the bubbles? That information makes his burn out more understandable.
Title: Re: What's been going on lately
Post by: Choop on October 29, 2013, 11:03:09 pm
i'm sure he has the characters assembled, but choosing which sprite-part from the ray folder for that specific line of dialog might be difficult, moreso even the selection and organization of the words themselves. contrast to ryan north, who never has to draw anything, just write the text; and jeff rowland, who draws everything by hand and also writes the strip. of course with rowland, he's been drawing by hand forever, so that's probably the least of his concerns, but his most recent update was a couple months ago, and even when he was publishing regularly, his updates were rarely daily. ryan north updates daily almost always, because he doesn't have the art to worry about unless special occasions demand, but even so i doubt that he just whips up the dialog between his two or three characters and slaps it on the internet without at least one or two edits and rewrites.

i agree about the cartoon. i've been hearing craig robinson's voice in ray's mouth forever, and i never thought beef's voice was so low and rich. his best bet is to learn how to animate and then produce and distribute it himself over the internet. put an episode up on a free stream until the next one's available, then sell it on itunes for a buck. something like that. he'll maintain control over content and have free rein to experiment - if he wants to release a five minute cartilage head sonata music video, he won't have to pad it out with an extra seventeen minutes of unnecessary story to turn it into a full episode.
Title: Re: What's been going on lately
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 29, 2013, 11:18:56 pm
craig robinson!  you m-f-er!  rad idea.  you get a can.
Title: Re: What's been going on lately
Post by: pmcd9 on October 30, 2013, 12:10:20 am
^^^

Damn, look at those chooper-dooper ideas!

I agree that those are some chooper dooper ideas.
Title: Re: What's been going on lately
Post by: jsv on October 30, 2013, 10:14:32 pm
Um, so maybe we could kickstarter him into self-publishing? And one of the award tiers can be the cookbook. That's exactly how kickstarter works, right?
Title: Re: What's been going on lately
Post by: wombat on October 30, 2013, 11:40:46 pm
I didn't know it takes him a full day's work to produce a strip. I guess I (ignorantly) imagined the drawings were somehow easily manipulated in a graphics program? And the rest of it was just writing a few lines of script for the bubbles?

**weeps**
Title: Re: What's been going on lately
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 01, 2013, 07:22:14 pm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Official-Achewood-TV-Show-Bible-3-of-10-signed-with-original-illustration-/131032066381?
Title: Re: What's been going on lately
Post by: pmcd9 on November 01, 2013, 07:58:00 pm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Official-Achewood-TV-Show-Bible-3-of-10-signed-with-original-illustration-/131032066381?

Anybody here bidding on this?